Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] What Is Eagles' Plan For First Round?

Pros have a hard time w/ ODB. W/ him I wish we'd use a different alignment where a big guy lines up across from from him, not to cover but to hit him hard. He's be a non-factor in the 2nd half

One problem with the NFL draft not occurring until five months after the regular college football season ends is critics have 150 days to tear down top draft prospects.
Myles Garrett is universally regarded as the player the Browns should take with the first pick of the draft on April 27, but if they listen to Warren Sapp — who had a Hall of Fame career with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Oakland Raiders — they’ll steer clear.
"I don’t see it from this kid,” Sapp told Adam Schefter of ESPN on April 23. "I see the splash plays; everybody gets those. Where’s the game he took over? Where? Any defensive lineman who’s the No. 1 pick, you turn up and you say, ‘There it is!’ This kid, no, I don’t.
"I’m a pretty plain and frank guy, and I watch the tape and he disappears. I watch the tape, and he absolutely disappears.”
Sapp isn’t the first to pronounce Garrett guilty of taking plays off. When Sapp was asked if Garrett was the best player in the draft he stated "No No No", not even close.

Ham, love ya but we're gonna disagree - Sidney Jones in the 2nd is more than worth the risk in my book. Actually a big part of my mock is to allow for for the move ups in the first so that a game changer drops to us. Heck, it could be a S, but hopefully a player of need as well. Jones is easily the best CB in the draft, to get him in early the 2nd is the only way. My thinking is we could use 2 starting CB's, we actually absolutely have to have 1, which usually means 1st rd. To get a starting CB in the 2nd after getting a starting player in the 1st is really primo.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

I think that might be where Adoree gets an extra bump. He could be good against ODB. Maybe give up some plays but make some plays also.

The NFL is set in favor of the O everyone knows this and the best WR are going to get there plays.....Question is can the defender limit them and make a few plays of there own 

4th ranked Defensive Tackle in the draft Caleb Brantley arrested for battery (striking a woman) on April 13th. Another one falls in the draft.

It's been a double wammy against D's for a long time. The league's penchant for scoring and safety for the players. It's taken a lot away from the game in my view. Now trying to cut back on injuries in the return game. Watch our beloved Sproles, part of a dying breed. Well maybe even the godfather of the modern day RB. Soon there will be very little running between the tackles, something DP predicates his game calling on - get us a grinder, the true renaissance of the running game, not these squiggly guys

4 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Ham, love ya but we're gonna disagree - Sidney Jones in the 2nd is more than worth the risk in my book. Actually a big part of my mock is to allow for for the move ups in the first so that a game changer drops to us. Heck, it could be a S, but hopefully a player of need as well. Jones is easily the best CB in the draft, to get him in early the 2nd is the only way. My thinking is we could use 2 starting CB's, we actually absolutely have to have 1, which usually means 1st rd. To get a starting CB in the 2nd after getting a starting player in the 1st is really primo.

We don't have that luxury. I appreciate that you think Jones is The Man. But what I'm saying is there are going to be starting corners options with our second round pick anyway...that will start this season. So Jones might be a bit better but if you went with a Tankersley you get Tankersley with a year of NFL experience versus a rookie-ish Jones. That's the question. Is rookie Jones better than second year Tankersley(whoever falls like I said)? That's longer term. Short term there is no debate.

The Skins went and got Josh Norman. He matches up well with ODB. The not moving around the defense thing to always matchup is an issue but...

Yes Norman plays him well. There is a CB in the draft by the name of Channing Stribling who played at Michigan this year with Jourdan Lewis. Stribling probably won't be drafted until the 5th round this year because of his combine results but all he does is defend passes. He is compared to Norman.

'58 nothing wrong with disagreeing. As long as you have an educated opinion. I welcome differing opinions. It's like Garrett seems to be everyone's number one but none really think he's a game changer or super elite pass rusher. He has a very high floor. It's safe to pick a monster with those measurables.

Anyone think Sidney Jones will come back any lesser than what he was? I'm not. Just pulling the trigger early enough to get him and yeah - taking the risk at getting  first rd in the 2nd.

2 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Yes Norman plays him well. There is a CB in the draft by the name of Channing Stribling who played at Michigan this year with Jourdan Lewis. Stribling probably won't be drafted until the 5th round this year because of his combine results but all he does is defend passes. He is compared to Norman.

That's what I'm saying. Let's cut the extra BS. We need a guy to deal with ODB. I don't care if he played S before or corner or rugby. Let's get frank. It's the elephant in the room. Let's just man up and say it. And deal with it.

Shame, I'm out of Absolute **** Ale, which is actually a stoudt, which I like. I'm not really a ****, just like their ale.

Didn't think they'd let me say that, it's absolute bas    ****   ale, see if that gets thru

That's scary, bots p/u everything these days

You just can't haul off on a WR anymore. C'mon - 1 f'n yd1 So yeah, screw w/ him - line a LB across from him, or an OL guy. Say to him - pre - snap - you are gonna pay for this

LOL... why the obsession with ODB? Don't we usually beat the Giants? A reason being that we keep getting to Eli. You have to look at things big picture. Take the OL vs DL ... and WR vs CB parts of the game. OL and CB you need to be solid through and through ... one standout and a couple of weaknesses doesn't work as you only need to lose one matchup. Compare that to DL and WR ... one stud makes a difference because you only need to win one matchup. I'm not defining my Eagles team by how we cover ODB. Put a few guys on him while putting Eli on his arse... that's enough. 14 other games we need to play.

Eli doesn't have a LT this yr. He's a really good escape artist, w/o a LT - good freakin luck. Why I don't consider any JP moves, the guy's great until he syas he isn't - one of the last true men in this game, unfortunately. It's not Beckham per se, it's taking him away cause gnats haven't had a running game - about the only thing needed to Coughlin his job - duh.

Need some old time music help. There's an old story about Neil Young. After Kent State he supposedly took a walk in the woods, came out 45 mins later w/ 3 hits - Ohio, Cinnamon girl and what's the 3rd?

'58 to me taking Jones at 43 is stating this isn't a strong draft class....or a strong DB class. I believe it is a very good draft(minus the elite stud QB). And a really strong DB class. I believe I'm on the general consensus opinion.