Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] What Is Eagles' Plan For First Round?

@JohnReeves...Sad to say I've been watching Eagle football for at least the last 40 yrs... also did you by chance catch Zeke Elliott run all over the N.F.L last season... Obviously you've been watching Eagle football for the last decade...   Life is about change, women that were considered ladies in my day would frown at the behavior of Ladies of this generation. The fact that we have had a glaring need at CB is not only because we drafted poorly... there were players that didn't fit the coaching schemes so we shipped them out. Eric Rowe the most recent example. Funny how Bellacheat gets every body else's cast offs to work. No draft pick is guaranteed success... My point is things change, The N.F.L is always changing...the fact that RB are traditionally drafted late by the Eagles, doesn't mean that is the only way to get it done. If we trade back for more picks and get Joe Mixon as a value pick in the 2nd or early 3 rd. I am ok with that. That 14 th pick has to be a day 1 starter regardless of position.

36 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Anyone think Sidney Jones will come back any lesser than what he was? I'm not. Just pulling the trigger early enough to get him and yeah - taking the risk at getting  first rd in the 2nd.

Even though he had a good recheck, that is still the concern that has the potential to push him into the 3rd

I was upset when we moved back with the Jernigan trade. Going to be some really good players on the board right there. Looked like a sweet spot. Obviously we are setup with picks around the fourth round as the sweet spot. Maybe the depth lasts a little longer than I even thought.

Y? Name a good player that hasn't had a major injury. Well at least ones they've made public. ACL nowadays for a young guy, not a biggie in my book. Attitude, how the guy approaches the game, just the way the guy has that sense where the ball's going, I'm very impressed. That ball sense vs the acl - I really like him.

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I was upset when we moved back with the Jernigan trade. Going to be some really good players on the board right there. Looked like a sweet spot. Obviously we are setup with picks around the fourth round as the sweet spot. Maybe the depth lasts a little longer than I even thought.

He should be an upgrade on Logan... as Long is an upgrade on Barwin

Just now, mjkline1958 said:

Y? Name a good player that hasn't had a major injury. Well at least ones they've made public. ACL nowadays for a young guy, not a biggie in my book. Attitude, how the guy approaches the game, just the way the guy has that sense where the ball's going, I'm very impressed. That ball sense vs the acl - I really like him.

I cant say that same thing, as I have an 18 year old on surgery #5

Just now, mateagle2 said:

I cant say that same thing, as I have an 18 year old on surgery #5

Heal too fast... scar tissue messes with you... then you never know how a body reacts, because at one point they thought my daughter was recovering fine, just to find out about 6 months later that her body had disintegrated the Cadaver ACL and the plastic button they used to attach it in place

Attitudes, expectations change w/ every generations. Some are still willing to sacrifice, they all know the risks. Unfortunately we're going to see more getting to that post rookie contract and cashing in. Guys I love, guys willing to risk it all are becoming fewer. Not meant as a demeaning thing, the game's changed. I totally understand yet still miss the old days, more ways than most understand.

29 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

LOL... why the obsession with ODB? Don't we usually beat the Giants? A reason being that we keep getting to Eli. You have to look at things big picture. Take the OL vs DL ... and WR vs CB parts of the game. OL and CB you need to be solid through and through ... one standout and a couple of weaknesses doesn't work as you only need to lose one matchup. Compare that to DL and WR ... one stud makes a difference because you only need to win one matchup. I'm not defining my Eagles team by how we cover ODB. Put a few guys on him while putting Eli on his arse... that's enough. 14 other games we need to play.

The giants are better. The CBoys lost some things. The Skins lost plenty. It's not just ODB when you deal with the giants. They got really good defensive players. Jenkins is tough. Landon Collins is looking like a (pukes in mouth a little) very good S. Eli Apple looks the part. Vernon delivers the rush with a solid line. On offense they added Brandon Marshall. That's a problem. I mean surely the gmen are looking to improve in this draft also. They will most likely add an Olineman,a RB and a TE. Probably their first three picks right there. ----That's why the giants are the problem we face in the East. And everyone will have to face in the NFC this season....and next. Seattle has earned the right of respect but coverage DB wise I'm not as concerned about drafting to stop their WR(Baldwin and ...Kearney). GB I consider a legitimate team we need to be able to beat to get anywhere postseason wise. I believe that Jordy is similar to ODB in many ways. So that's an issue. And like I said Tampa Bay is a problem. Desean kills us and Evans...I just don't know how we stop two guys we need to double team.

Goodness Ham that was long, some of us may be drinking! Good but loooong. Love ya dude and as usual you could be correct. See Lou Costello quote

The way to win the NFCE is the way to win anywhere - hit fast and hit hard. Hit ODB  hard at the line, he folds. He actually cries! Getting to Eli is really hard, he lost his LT. Dak is hard, go to the Belicheat school and take away his best O weapon

Ham, I'm with you ... I think it will be between us and the Giants for the division this year. Schedule being a factor IMO... plus the offseason moves...etc. I'm looking at our pass rush. Our run defense. The game starts there on defense. 1. Take away the run game to make them one dimensional 2. Get ot the QB .... 3. Whatever else you want to do. Every defensive game plan pretty much works like that. Our team hasn't won a playoff game in 8 seasons, I'm not worried about anything, I just want to see progression, we have nothing to lose. Plenty of holes ...we get one CB, we still need more, plus pass rush and everything else. The order of how we fill these holes really shouldn't matter, its just hitting on picks so that we don't have to address that spot in the future.... otherwise you will see ... McDougle, Patterson, Bunkley, Abiamiri, Laws & Graham type of drafting again. Moves were made at a minimum in the secondary for the first part of the AR era because the players were all hits .... 2 CBs and a S already in place so they were able to just invest the 2002 draft, and they hit with those picks ... that lasted until 2008 when they got Asante. That was Andy's 10th season. So whatever players we select, it should do the same thing in solidifying a position for a while. That's enough, then we move on to another position. This draft might be deeper in CB as a whole, bu if we ended up gettign a better one next year while taking care of another position now, who cares. Just can't miss with picks anymore. No more 2010, 2011, 2014 & 2015 drafts.

Thanks BG. Love this about Barnett;

This year Barnett — who suffered from the flu during the combine — is that guy. All he does is makes things happen against the best competition. Great motor, high intelligence, savvy instincts — sounds just like T-Sizzle.

Sorry ( or not ) guys, I really like Barnett

Brooks and Jeremiah both saying he's going to get there quicker than Garrett

No doubt in my mind!

@ chamtheman... No one to date has been able to stop those guys... So let's go get a down hill RB to control the clock...or you get an Attacking DLine to pressure the QB into mistakes. Ahhhla... Barnett or Foster... I attribute all our losses to the Deadskins, because DJax speed beat us every time.  Most here didn't appreciate DJax when he was here... until he kicked our butts regularly as a Deadskin. We beat the Giants and Cowpies consistently because we beat up on Romo and Eli.. We definitely need CB's... but if I could find a special RB like Fournette, or one of those aforementioned  elite prospects / game-changer with that 14th pick...  John Ross could have a significant impact on our Special Teams and as we all know...he is much more than just a Speed guy. How we do it matters, I want an Attacking D not a Defense waiting for the QB to pick us apart... same as my Offence, Attack, try to stop me...if u can.

11 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Ham, I'm with you ... I think it will be between us and the Giants for the division this year. Schedule being a factor IMO... plus the offseason moves...etc. I'm looking at our pass rush. Our run defense. The game starts there on defense. 1. Take away the run game to make them one dimensional 2. Get ot the QB .... 3. Whatever else you want to do. Every defensive game plan pretty much works like that. Our team hasn't won a playoff game in 8 seasons, I'm not worried about anything, I just want to see progression, we have nothing to lose. Plenty of holes ...we get one CB, we still need more, plus pass rush and everything else. The order of how we fill these holes really shouldn't matter, its just hitting on picks so that we don't have to address that spot in the future.... otherwise you will see ... McDougle, Patterson, Bunkley, Abiamiri, Laws & Graham type of drafting again. Moves were made at a minimum in the secondary for the first part of the AR era because the players were all hits .... 2 CBs and a S already in place so they were able to just invest the 2002 draft, and they hit with those picks ... that lasted until 2008 when they got Asante. That was Andy's 10th season. So whatever players we select, it should do the same thing in solidifying a position for a while. That's enough, then we move on to another position. This draft might be deeper in CB as a whole, bu if we ended up gettign a better one next year while taking care of another position now, who cares. Just can't miss with picks anymore. No more 2010, 2011, 2014 & 2015 drafts.

The game starts here on defense part. That seems like a pretty good formula until you think about how GB didn't even have a RB and was in SB contention. Hit you quick/hit you deep offense. Practically passing only offense. So many teams did number one(shut down the run). Number two and three though....

Gotta disagree with DeSean being the reason they have beaten us lately. He is the sizzle, not the steak though. Offensive mistakes, penalties killed us. Cousins long drives to other WRs killed us. Not stopping their run game killed us. And they have that TE that won me the fantasy league that killed us in 2015. DeSean is finally in his perfect spot as a #2 WR now. Throw in another receiving threat and Winston and co will be a really tough O to stop. My sleeper fantasy QB this year, he will be worth the wait after the top guys go earlier.

Ham, shutting down the run just prevents you from losing the easy way .... not getting to Rodgers is a problem. Get ot the QB and the DBs don't have to cover as long. Not arguing that we need DBs, its just not all we need. If the best player is a DB, take him, take him 2 or 3 times, I don't care... just don't force it and pass up on a fix for a decade at another position.

Only 1 Rodgers in the N.F.L Game. Rodgers kicked butt without a run game an without Jody. Rodgers is a very special player.

I believe the game evolves. Sure strategy comes into play, but a main factor is the true impact players. Recently it was QB and WRs making the impacts. We could be seeing the run game make its way back if the QB play takes a dip. Defensivley though, you lose if you don't stop the run (unless Andy Reid is the opposing coach ...see 2003 NFC title game vs Carolina) ... stopping the run doesn't even come close to finishing the job though, just that the opposing team won't ever need to pass if you don't stop the run. From there, you need to get to the QB... if you don't, you better hope he sux or you are in for a long day. Dominating in coverage isn't the norm, even the Seattle and Denver defenses who you can argue had 2 of the most impressive secondaries ever to play, they still needed the pass rush!

Ham, shutting down the run just prevents you from losing the easy way .... not getting to Rodgers is a problem. Get ot the QB and the DBs don't have to cover as long. Not arguing that we need DBs, its just not all we need. If the best player is a DB, take him, take him 2 or 3 times, I don't care... just don't force it and pass up on a fix for a decade at another position.

We need two things: (1) better pass defense, meaning better corners and a more consistent pass rush; and (2) better play from Wentz, especially late in close games.
Not drafting CBs on the first and/or second round since 2002 has been our biggest weakness for the last decade. We're not going to pick a CB who isn't a first round talent. Just worry about us not fixing the pass defense and don't get sucked into this other stuff.

48 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

The game starts here on defense part. That seems like a pretty good formula until you think about how GB didn't even have a RB and was in SB contention. Hit you quick/hit you deep offense. Practically passing only offense. So many teams did number one(shut down the run). Number two and three though....

The game is passing and stopping the pass, particularly late in games. I pretty much agree with you. Running games are like driving in golf; for show, not for dough.