Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] How Much Can Draft Help This Defense?

By the end of this week, the Eagles are going to have a much different perspective on the 2017 roster. They’re going to add pieces they hope will make an immediate impact. And while the offense has been upgraded in free agency, the defense still has some areas to improve ...

View the full article

If McCaffrey is on the board at 14 and he is the best player available, take him. Same for any other player.

If McCaffrey is on the board at 14 and he is the best player available, take him. Same for any other player.

I completely disagree with you, and I'm sure the Eagles won't be drafting a RB at #14 (nor should they) so get over it.

BPA at 14 for sure. Don't overthink it and reach like chipper did with Smith

What college did he play for (BPA)? They will pick the best player on their board, but their board is shaped by their needs. If a QB, offensive lineman, RB, or WR is someone they view as the next best player overall he still won't be the next best available player on their board. Also, that doesn't make him the actual next best player anyway.

Need 2 solid CBs, a LB, and DT to be where we want to be. Please just make the right selection at 14.

Completely agree, almost. I'd say the second most pressing need is an edge rusher, not a DT or LB. With Jernigan, we don't need a DT for this year at all. Our first three or four picks should be players that make us better now, not potentially years from now.

These first eight posts, in a sense, summarize the dilemmas posted these last few weeks. BPA, regardless, or most pressing need? I think it will become clear as the first 13 picks are chosen. If an obviously superior defender (most likely CB or DL) is there, it's obvious. But more likely, assuming no true future superstar is available at #14 that any other NFL team has identified, the Eagles will move down, or pick a probable starting CB, period.

Nah we're moving up for Fournette

1 hour ago, senhorcook said:

I completely disagree with you, and I'm sure the Eagles won't be drafting a RB at #14 (nor should they) so get over it.

Bunk,we traded to go after Zeke last year,nothing has changed,we need a 3 down RB and Fournette can deliver that

Need 2 solid CBs, a LB, and DT to be where we want to be. Please just make the right selection at 14.

OH we need DE end too,we need to replace Barwin-great player but did not fit this D

BPA at 14 for sure. Don't overthink it and reach like chipper did with Smith

BPA is delusional-WHO is the BPA at 14? is there a better one at 12? Must fill our needs,then we can be in the BPA position.Pats have done an outstanding job with this.FIX the needs,then from then on you can take BPA forever

2 hours ago, rlubrich87 said:

Completely agree, almost. I'd say the second most pressing need is an edge rusher, not a DT or LB. With Jernigan, we don't need a DT for this year at all. Our first three or four picks should be players that make us better now, not potentially years from now.

Stop thinking about ONE year.Plan for the next 2-4.Planning for one year is why we never get anywhere.We tried the "dream team" approach twice and it got us where????

So why can't we get 2 solid CB's in rounds 2,3,4??? Pretty much anything is an upgrade. DE IMO is far more pressing than a LB

There are some obvious ...we'll call them opportunities ...on defense for a draftee to make an instant impact. Any DB or Dlineman can make a splash. We play Nickel and Dime mostly. If you can rush the passer there is room for you to get in the rotation along the Dline. A DB with any kind of good coverage skills can surely find his way on the field. Don't necessarily have to be a high pick to crack into the rotation and find a niche in this D.

There are some obvious ...we'll call them opportunities ...on defense for a draftee to make an instant impact. Any DB or Dlineman can make a splash. We play Nickel and Dime mostly. If you can rush the passer there is room for you to get in the rotation along the Dline. A DB with any kind of good coverage skills can surely find his way on the field. Don't necessarily have to be a high pick to crack into the rotation and find a niche in this D.

Yeah it's about FIT ,not where CBS thinks they are ranked.We made the moves last year to get Zeke at 8.The Wentz trade presented itself and we took advantage.So now the missing link on O is that killer/grinder RB who can run the clock in the 4th 1/4.The philosophy to me remains the same.get that RB and finish this O.Anything at CB is pretty much an improvement no? Add a nice DE,who is probably going to perform better than Barwin(who I liked but was not a fit).As you know i wanted CB's in 1/2-not gonna happen.Gotta lose whatever YOU or I think.The FO has made it pretty clear they are going to finish this O for Wentz's future.Only 2 RB's can do this.Fournette or Cook.Caff is excellent as a scat back,but we don;t need that.Look at the press releases if you doubt.I laid all this out i the last thread,not going through it all again lol

16 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Yeah it's about FIT ,not where CBS thinks they are ranked.We made the moves last year to get Zeke at 8.The Wentz trade presented itself and we took advantage.So now the missing link on O is that killer/grinder RB who can run the clock in the 4th 1/4.The philosophy to me remains the same.get that RB and finish this O.Anything at CB is pretty much an improvement no? Add a nice DE,who is probably going to perform better than Barwin(who I liked but was not a fit).As you know i wanted CB's in 1/2-not gonna happen.Gotta lose whatever YOU or I think.The FO has made it pretty clear they are going to finish this O for Wentz's future.Only 2 RB's can do this.Fournette or Cook.Caff is excellent as a scat back,but we don;t need that.Look at the press releases if you doubt.I laid all this out i the last thread,not going through it all again lol

One could argue for Mixon,but we know bad boys really are not tolerated here(see Huff).Lose Rmatt,pick up the cap space and grab a player we need in the event we can't draft them.Just smart way to CYA

What did Huff ever do on the field? He had no route tree he was working. He isn't real tall to just throw the ball up to. Gadget/return man was all he ever was anyway. Good for a screen and a reverse a game. He should have just packed his bags right along with Chip.

Don't care really,this draft is about the future,not the past.We did what we did when we did it.Lost some good guys along the way,but the Chip disaster era is over.We lost 3 years because of it.let's put a dang team together(again)."We're from Philly and we fight" is slowly becoming a reality.The offseason showed me Lurie is serious about us once again contending and like all of us, who have waited,he's not gonna stop until that happens

Don't care really,this draft is about the future,not the past.We did what we did when we did it.Lost some good guys along the way,but the Chip disaster era is over.We lost 3 years because of it.let's put a dang team together(again)."We're from Philly and we fight" is slowly becoming a reality.The offseason showed me Lurie is serious about us once again contending and like all of us, who have waited,he's not gonna stop until that happens

I think you're being generous. We lost quite a bit more than 3 years because of his arrogance.

Tough to move back from 14 considering we don't plan on having that high of pick for a long time to come. Looking for an elite talent. Then we will have to make do with the 28th pick and hopefully eventually the 32nd in the future.

4 hours ago, johnreaves said:
  5 hours ago, senhorcook said:

Bunk,we traded to go after Zeke last year,nothing has changed,we need a 3 down RB and Fournette can deliver that

We don't need a RB at all, and as far asa 3-down back not many teams use one (neither of last year's SB teams do) and for good reason: it's not such a big deal if a RB goes down; having a couple backs allows you to throw curveballs at opposing defenses and be less predictable; and it keeps your backs fresher late in the season. There's no real advantage to one major back in today's NFL.

Just don't get cute... if our guy is there get him... I like the trade back option too. But a chance for a elite talent... GBinFl I'm buying...finish the offense.