Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Eagles Stay True To Building The Lines

The picks went off the board, oddly, unpredictably and then, all of a sudden, the Arizona Cardinals were on the clock at No. 13 overall, and the Eagles knew right then and there that they would have a great choice to make at No. 14 ...

View the full article

Ham i really love this pick. When I started seeing all the offensive players go off the board i was kinda hoping we trade up for him because i was surprised he was still there and was worried someone was going to take him. This is a very strong start imo. I don't like drafting for need because then a lot of times you get into trouble reaching on players who aren't quite as good as players your leaving on the board

Love our first pick of the new era.....honestly didn't think Barnett would make it to us why I thought we might opt to trade down and land Harris but glad we got Barnett hopefully he can be that elite pass rusher paired with Cox.....Add in Graham and our DL could be scary good for little while 

good dline isn't going to win you many games in todays NFL.  As i been saying for the last 4 years now, failure to fix the secondary will continue to see mediocre teams put on the field.  

We can't just grab a corner just to grab a corner. Gotta stay true to your board or all you ever will get is mediocre players in every position bc we keep reaching on players for a quick fix. I want the best players we can get even if we are stacked in a certain position. We could still get a corner if they think one is truly worth taking or we can continue with the guys we got and hope the develop an improve their game more or we can always try trading for one from a team during or after the draft

There's only one thing i was concerned with. Did anybody notice he wasn't smiling when we selected him. I hope he actually wants to be here because i think he's going to be amazing for us

CCL with the annual appearance.... I love this night with all the complaints. Biggest need for me on this team was DE... need the pass rush in a Schwartz D and it needs to come from the edge. Not saying CB isn't our worst position, but other than QB, the position I would look to have elite talent would be the DL. Friday in my mind has always been the key day in this year's draft. Rounds 2 & 3 need to be hits, also where trades can be made for some of the guys we want to release for cap space. The RB or CB is 11 picks away.

4 minutes ago, darksnake1 said:

We can't just grab a corner just to grab a corner. Gotta stay true to your board or all you ever will get is mediocre players in every position bc we keep reaching on players for a quick fix. I want the best players we can get even if we are stacked in a certain position. We could still get a corner if they think one is truly worth taking or we can continue with the guys we got and hope the develop an improve their game more or we can always try trading for one from a team during or after the draft

BPA is in itself nothing more than an opinion. If you are telling me that a dlinemen was the best available option outside of so many other positions, I will call that a lie and we can look back at it in a year or two to see the truth.  We drafted a guy that had issues shedding blocks, and a handful of his sacks came from not being blocked at all or in cases where QBs held the football for well over 8 seconds.  Hope he is ready to see what a 3-5 second release looks like, because that is the norm in todays NFL,

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

CCL with the annual appearance.... I love this night with all the complaints. Biggest need for me on this team was DE... need the pass rush in a Schwartz D and it needs to come from the edge. Not saying CB isn't our worst position, but other than QB, the position I would look to have elite talent would be the DL. Friday in my mind has always been the key day in this year's draft. Rounds 2 & 3 need to be hits, also where trades can be made for some of the guys we want to release for cap space. The RB or CB is 11 picks away.

How many teams have won a superbowl in the last 10 years that had the highest ranked dline?  Would love to see if infusing so many resources into one position actually pays off.

The only guy you could argue that we probably would have or should have taken was conley and he came with some high risk. Not worth the risk imo especially when they have said all along that this is a deep corner back draft

If an NFL QB is too comfortable knowing he won't be rushed ... your defense will be awful. Our DL once switched to the 4-3 everyone wanted was brutal. I have no clue about he specific player ... your point was simply due to position. Just look at recent history of SB winning teams and see how they control the DL and put pressure on the QB. Denver, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Indy, Giants, NE with their first 3, Baltimore back in 2000 ... that's a lot of Lombardi trophies from teams with dominant DLs,

I'm with it on selecting a DE as the 1st selection... Im with it on Derrick being a great player.... I'm even with it on the juju and or Karma associated with the pick... BUT OMG! HOW THE HELL DO YOU PASS ON ALLEN AND HOWARD?

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

If an NFL QB is too comfortable knowing he won't be rushed ... your defense will be awful. Our DL once switched to the 4-3 everyone wanted was brutal. I have no clue about he specific player ... your point was simply due to position. Just look at recent history of SB winning teams and see how they control the DL and put pressure on the QB. Denver, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Indy, Giants, NE with their first 3, Baltimore back in 2000 ... that's a lot of Lombardi trophies from teams with dominant DLs,

How many of those teams had 4 first round picks and a 1 second round pick on them?  That's the point I am trying to get to.  We are investing so much into one position group while starving out other position groups of talent.  

What would a highest ranked DL mean? I just listed SB winners since 2000... they all had great DLs. That's the bulk of the SB winners ... other than NE with their last 2, which the DLs are not bad at all... maybe the Saints ... all the teams had excellent DL... even forgot Tampa.

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

What would a highest ranked DL mean? I just listed SB winners since 2000... they all had great DLs. That's the bulk of the SB winners ... other than NE with their last 2, which the DLs are not bad at all... maybe the Saints ... all the teams had excellent DL... even forgot Tampa.

Lets ignore the rankings of total defense or even positions in general, how many of said teams had 4  and 1 second round pick on their rotation?  I can tell you from looking at the last 5 years that not a single super bowl team had that many first round picks, not even near the ball park of 4.  Guess I'll dig back into the 2000s to see if any had any lol.

Ccl: i hear what your saying. I'd love to get a corner but if you have a board in place and none are rated as high as the guy you selected then why reach for them? Like if you have a chance to get a blue chip player even if you are stacked at the position, wouldn't it make sense to take him instead of taking a decent player in a position we need? They obviously thought he was that good otherwise I'm sure they would have taken a corner

Ccl: let's wait and see what else we do. We could possibly trade one of our future picks, possibly a player to a team that would be willing to move on from their corner. Not saying this would actually happen but I remember the Seahawks shopping sherman around

1 minute ago, darksnake1 said:

Ccl: i hear what your saying. I'd love to get a corner but if you have a board in place and none are rated as high as the guy you selected then why reach for them? Like if you have a chance to get a blue chip player even if you are stacked at the position, wouldn't it make sense to take him instead of taking a decent player in a position we need? They obviously thought he was that good otherwise I'm sure they would have taken a corner

I strongly disagree with the whole BPA.  Not every single team has the same draft board, there is no sure thing when it comes to who is drafting who so to say that player A was the best player availbable over player B makes zero sense to me.  There are way to many variable for BPA to even make sense to me (which is understandable and why I do not work as a scouting agent for the NFL).  What I do know, is that how this team is currently built we have no future at WR right now, we have nobody worth mentioning at the CB position, RB position has no current future, and we are lacking talent and depth at LB.  There is also a ton of questions on the oline, the last position I would of even thought of touching would of been the dline, sure it might not be the best dline in the NFL, but it sure isnt the worst like other positions on this team.  Just my honest, humble, opinion.

CCL, not sure I understand your question ... but didn't Denver have 2 early first round picks coming from the edge with Ware and Miller? If you are saying the Eagles have had an awful track record with drafting DL ... and have had a history of passing over better players ... jump on hte back of my bus, I''ve been saying it for years how they over emphasize the positional priority in 1st tound drafting. They may be doing it again ... I can't say for sure since this is Joe Douglas's first draft. If they took RB, TE, LB or S, you darn right you could see his influence ... 1988 was the last time they didn't take QB, OL, DL, CB or WR in round 1... obviously hasn't worked. Players matter. position is nice, but can't force it. Same can be said with forcing a CB. Worst thing is looking at your team and saying ... "what is my worst position, and draft that spot", another way to pass over talent. Seth Joyner and Ray Diddy liked the pick a lot, both didn't think he would drop to 14. Again though, we need to hit more than just day 1 here.

CCL ..... BPA according to your own board. That's enough. Not a numerical grade system... intangibles need to go into the equation. simply put... you like this guy better than that guy. Stick to that and keep it simple.

But to everyone on here, did you see barnetts face? He didn't look happy. I never saw him smile. Did anybody notice this? I was hoping he'd be excited to play here....?

If we end up walking out of this draft without a CB, is this season a loss?  There are no guarantees that a CB will be available as BPA during each pick of the Eagles.

1 minute ago, darksnake1 said:

But to everyone on here, did you see barnetts face? He didn't look happy. I never saw him smile. Did anybody notice this? I was hoping he'd be excited to play here....?

He has to play against really good olines in both the cowboys and redskins, that and he will also be splitting a lot of time with other people since the dline is stacked.  Compared to other teams that could of picked him, his stats could of been fluffed a lot more on other teams.  Just my opinion on why he might not have been happy in the moment.