Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Joe Douglas' Scouting Report On Draft Class

Just wondering if P Donnie Jones is a lock to make the team this year. Either he just had a down year last year or maybe age is catching up with him. I believe the Eagles signed an UDFA from Ohio State to compete with him.

See this is why I want a 56 roster P,K and LS are usually guys that are there for eons(taking up roster spots),so NOW when you need a replacement to be groomed you have to cut another BU position out.These 3 spots should be exempted from the roster count(thus 56 not 53)

I get the sense that our whole draft was preplanned that way. That we knew Barnett was likely to be there at 14. The idea of taking the injured Jones at 43 had to be thoroughly vetted. Douglas at 99. Going with the tiny RB in Pumphrey. Taking Gerry late to be trained at LB. It's not like these guys did any freefall into our laps. They were all going to be there at their respective picks.

There were two teams ahead of us that were very interested in Barnett and Foster. Cincinnati and the Saints. Once Cincinnati took Ross (which was a big surprise to me) I knew one of these guys were going to be there. Then Lattimore fell to the Saints due to the QB's issue and we had our choice between Barnett, Foster and Howard. Plus a couple other guys. I expected the Eagles to take Jones in the second round if he was there because someone would have taken him before the third round 99 pick. As far as Foster slipping down to the 49er's at pick 31, I don't think it would have happened if Jonathon Allen wouldn't have dropped. The Redskins have loved Foster for a long time but with Allen staring you in the face they had a tough decision to make and went with Allen. After we selected Barnett at 14 I was also worried about the Giants taking O.J.Howard because I knew that they loved this guy. Fortunately the Tampa Bay bucks realized what kind of talent just dropped to them and instead of taking Cook, they took Howard. So it worked out okay for us. I didn't want the Redskins to have Foster and I didn't want the Giants to have Howard. LOL

Thanks for the best wishes TD. Nerves are firing up a bit even tho all will go well.

Tell your better half to get on the web site and let us know how things went after your surgery. Just a brief thumbs up. LOL

2 hours ago, stine said:

You have to think we sign a vet here after we release RMatt. I do not see us going into the season with this as a RB crew...

Not sure about that honestly sure we will have some vet options as insurance but would not be shockef at all to see us go young either.....Smalls,Sproles,Pumphrey, Watson/Clement as the 4th option 

I get the sense that our whole draft was preplanned that way. That we knew Barnett was likely to be there at 14. The idea of taking the injured Jones at 43 had to be thoroughly vetted. Douglas at 99. Going with the tiny RB in Pumphrey. Taking Gerry late to be trained at LB. It's not like these guys did any freefall into our laps. They were all going to be there at their respective picks.

Glad you are calmed down a bit. I would like to know what your BP was during the draft ;)

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Like this roster because other than a few spots,everything is pretty wide open as to who makes the 53(sorry I still vie for 56 lol).This should be one of the more competitive camps we have seen in a LONG time(as Chip fades in my rear view mirror HAHA)

Sidney Jones and Beau Allen will make the team to give us 55 in reality....if that helps

LOL no we still have to cut to 53

Jones and Allen will be on the PUP list so we have an extra six weeks to keep at least 2 additional players, thus 55...

Thanks for the best wishes TD. Nerves are firing up a bit even tho all will go well.

All will go fine. I trust you have done your homework and have a top surgeon doing the operation. The procedures today are amazing. Much more exact and easier than they were 20 years ago... All will be fine my friend.

33 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

See this is why I want a 56 roster P,K and LS are usually guys that are there for eons(taking up roster spots),so NOW when you need a replacement to be groomed you have to cut another BU position out.These 3 spots should be exempted from the roster count(thus 56 not 53)

What???? Why is a BU spot being cut for a K or P lol.....We wont carry an extra K or P onto the 53 man roster....Every team generally add extra K/P during camps for camp legs just like we add camp arms at QB....

2 hours ago, stine said:

You have to think we sign a vet here after we release RMatt. I do not see us going into the season with this as a RB crew...

Not sure about that honestly sure we will have some vet options as insurance but would not be shockef at all to see us go young either.....Smalls,Sproles,Pumphrey, Watson/Clement as the 4th option 

I do not like those options for 4th and short or goal line. we need another back that can get those tough yards...

38 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

What???? Why is a BU spot being cut for a K or P lol.....We wont carry an extra K or P onto the 53 man roster....Every team generally add extra K/P during camps for camp legs just like we add camp arms at QB....

They dont because they CANT.They would rather fill the roseter with other BU spots

I would hope they planned it! I am tired of the Eagles draft room going by the seat of their pants. I keep seeing posters saying this was a "Safe" draft. What would you rather have? Another MS2? We drafted PBA of needed positions which is what I wanted..... Only players I did not want were Ross and Cook. Ross is going to spend allot of time on the DL. Cook is going to be good, but I feel he will lead the league in fumbles. He had issues in college and I can only think they will get magnified in the pros. Of course, McCoy also had issues and was able to correct them. Maybe Cook will too. Time will tell.....

21 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:
  2 hours ago, stine said:

I do not like those options for 4th and short or goal line. we need another back that can get those tough yards...

Clement could.Don't know alot about Watson,have not seen anything.Would not shock me to add Blount after the Rmatt release.Sad we could have had AP in here for 7 mil over 2 years

do not know about Clement. Maybe he will be that RB that can run for a 4th and short? Anyone see him play at Wisconsin?

56 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

So your kicker goes down in 1/4 1.Now you have ZIP to replace him and are now at a serious disadvantage.Just doesn't sound fair to me since at any other position,you can plug and play

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

So your kicker goes down in 1/4 1.Now you have ZIP to replace him and are now at a serious disadvantage.Just doesn't sound fair to me since at any other position,you can plug and play

But every team has the same issue and generally speaking you P can also be a K and K can do punter duty in a pinch 

24 minutes ago, stine said:

Watson 6'2 240 could be that tough short yardage back had a decent game doing that vs Dallas final game of the year 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400869644 Clement 164 yards vs OSU one of the better defenses 

3 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

But every team has the same issue and generally speaking you P can also be a K and K can do punter duty in a pinch 

Whatever wont happen anyway so why worry on it

My view is this the Eagles will go into preseason with what we have Rmat(still a toss up) see what they can do.....If by the end we fill as though we are missing something at RB will likely have a list of FA vets as options that we like 

Clement-basically a 1 cut runner,although if he breaks free outside,he can take it to the house.So,we'll see how he does in camp and if we rotate him and Smalls

I need to write a long post on Pumphrey. He is too complex a subject to discuss like this. Joe Douglas did make one key point.

#Eagles Joe Douglas on Donnel Pumphrey: "Don't let size fool you. He's a little dog who thinks he's a big dog and plays that way."

— Dave Weinberg (@PressACWeinberg) April 29, 2017

That was from Lawlor

7 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400869644 Clement 164 yards vs OSU one of the better defenses 

Whatever wont happen anyway so why worry on it

Not worried on it just didn't see the point of carrying an extra K or P they almost never get hurt 

So no harm then in expanding the roster to 56 allowing teams to carry 2 of each if they want.No biggie,just thought it would be a nice change

My view is this the Eagles will go into preseason with what we have Rmat(still a toss up) see what they can do.....If by the end we fill as though we are missing something at RB will likely have a list of FA vets as options that we like 

if any are left by then