Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Joe Douglas' Scouting Report On Draft Class

I'm really just not even sure where stacked is coming from. We aren't stacked at S. At CB. At LB. Along the Dline.

OL, DE, CB, WR all have bodies to fight for a spot. Competition will bring out the best n only the best will survive.

Look at the projected starting line up if you were to do one yourself or looks around. How can you not be excited about that.

8 hours ago, rlubrich87 said:

It was a safe draft nothing more. Howie was protecting his job by the choices he made.

Howie was protecting his job? Or actually Joe had a real influence on this draft as we all had hoped for. Because that's the way I see it.

Howie playing it safe to protect his job doesn't really work. Because if these players go on to be average to good or solid NFL players then this team isn't going to hit the heights it wants to. It's going to waste years of Wentz career and that's going to come back on the GM. 

I agree it was a safe draft. But I think it was a safe solid draft because of the man who's sat alongside Howie. And based on his work in Baltimore and Chicago... That's a real good thing! 

we can only hold judgment on the draft until about week 16 at the very least. if mack and shelton show out just a lil bit, by by dub and agholor. dbg cut, and agholor traded. i see it.

Howie covering his butt, Joe taking over - the conspiracy theories abound! I believe this draft showed Howie's growth in accepting it takes a collaboration to have a successful draft.

Anyone else thinking a DE on our team could be on the moving possibly Curry.....I mean Barnett is here to stay, Long likely not worth much Graham isn't going anywhere.....If someone else steps up ie McCallister or Ms2(who had as many sacks as Curry in half the snaps) or Means.....Still looking at Kendricks and Kelce as possible trade options as well C is looking loaded Issac, Wis, Kelce, WVU C, Andrews......

I don't think this draft was all that safe for us we took some gambles.....I do think this draft showed that Joe has little bit of influence in the draft room though which could be a huge....Sitting still can also be a gamble as is trading up or down....How does it impact us that we didn't move up to get a RB like Cook or the gamble of drafting a CB like Jones....I thought the Eagles did a good mix of moving around later in the draft pick more bodies and sitting still and just taking our BPA 

11 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I would like to see the NFL do a few things.Go to a 56 roster(ALL can dress) 12 on the PS and NO BYE WEEKS( or everyone gets the same week off).;Won't happen I know,but so much more talent now then when these antiquated rules were adopted

I see the point in the active list would give an unfair advantage to teams that had more healthy guys if one team had 56 healthy and another was down 8 guys because of injury or whatever pretty big difference......Not sure how I feel about increasing the roster though part of what makes the NFL great is that you really can't afford to stash to many guys on your roster talent is going to slip through....PS increase I would be alright with though those guys can be poached at anytime by another team so to me opens jobs and doesn't really hurt the talent pool either 

More people get paid,more taxes are paid the community benefits :)

17 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Vinny's here this yr, that's for sure

http://overthecap.com/player/vinny-curry/786/

Why I said trade not cut.....only save a mil if traded but then we are also out of his contract the following year....Not saying it happens or we are even shopping him just looking at the depth we have in some areas we are going to have to make room some how 

I had plenty of excitement for this draft. I really felt like it was an above average class of talent. With it coming to a close the truth is I'm fairly disappointed. I look around and see how many teams really helped themselves in this draft. I feel like Pedey is somewhat on the hot seat and he didn't get what he needed. He has a bunch of players here basically on one year contracts. The team is all capped out. So it would seem the team will find it hard to take steps forward next season. More like a hard time keeping these players.

Ham,thats why we INVESTED last year and this.We have a potential shut down corner in the wings,even if he can't go this year he can next(and maybe Douglas can this year?).We got WR's in here on ROOK contracts in the event our other WR's decide they want to break the Philly bank.We got DEPTH players in positions where we didn;t have them before.We got a Sproles scat back replacement in Pumphrey.We picked up a potential 4th 1/4 clock killer in Clement(UDFA),we have a franchise QB in place,sheesh after the Chip debacle what we have accomplished in 2 short years is PHENOMINAL.Cutting RMat will save us cap.We re-tooled this entire team in 2 years,most take 4-5 so I have difficulty understanding your gripe.We wanted a winning team and we are well on our way to getting one instead of HOPING for a .500 season every year

9 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I had plenty of excitement for this draft. I really felt like it was an above average class of talent. With it coming to a close the truth is I'm fairly disappointed. I look around and see how many teams really helped themselves in this draft. I feel like Pedey is somewhat on the hot seat and he didn't get what he needed. He has a bunch of players here basically on one year contracts. The team is all capped out. So it would seem the team will find it hard to take steps forward next season. More like a hard time keeping these players.

Ham,thats why we INVESTED last year and this.We have a potential shut down corner in the wings,even if he can't go this year he can next(and maybe Douglas can this year?).We got WR's in here on ROOK contracts in the event our other WR's decide they want to break the Philly bank.We got DEPTH players in positions where we didn;t have them before.We got a Sproles scat back replacement in Pumphrey.We picked up a potential 4th 1/4 clock killer in Clement(UDFA),we have a franchise QB in place,sheesh after the Chip debacle what we have accomplished in 2 short years is PHENOMINAL.Cutting RMat will save us cap.We re-tooled this entire team in 2 years,most take 4-5 so I have difficulty understanding your gripe.We wanted a winning team and we are well on our way to getting one instead of HOPING for a .500 season every year

BTW-Hollins=replacement for the lazy DGB,Gibson can easily fill JMatt's shoes if he wants a BIG contract next year.This FO is VERY SMART

But seriously what is it with the Eagles and WVU players recently lol.....Do we have an insider with them or something.....Smalls,Gibson, the C, Douglas 

Well they play a similar style to what we have,so that means the learning curve is shorter :)

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Gibson can easily fill JMatt's shoes if he wants a BIG contract next year.

Would not jump the gun and say all that now....I do like the moves the FO has made and still not sold on Jmatt being here next year(or even this year another possible trade guy still IMO) but Jmatt has been a consistent producer for us avg. 891 yards and like 6 tds over his 3 years for us that is really good production for a #2 WR and great production for a 3 

So if you are going to have a hard time keeping your players, two big players in Peters and Sproles are ready to retire,your capped out and you aren't a contending team then you went down the wrong path.

We KNEW we would not fix EVERYTHING this year,but MAN we sure fixed ALOT of it.Next year in my view is the first "TWEAK" it year where we can actually begin to choose BPA in drafts because we were smart enough to get the depth we needed so badly

Then you guys just aren't living in reality. Reality is the money rules things in the NFL. We are in a position where we need extra money to roll into next and future seasons. Instead we spent to the limit. And sure BG I like the Alshon pickup as well. But he wasn't coming here if he got the deal he wanted. We couldn't afford it. We only got real in the Alshon Sweepstakes because he wanted a one year deal as a prove it contract. Chance Warmack didn't cost anything. A failed talented high pick player. But one thing is guaranteed. If we actually are successful then they are all looking to get paid. To me it's pathetic to be a noncontending team that will have to choose between keeping their starting QB for the defense in Hicks or the top receiver in Alshon. Because to me that isn't good enough. We are going to need additions on top of that. You know because we aren't World Beaters. Then the ball just keeps rolling downhill on things. Because Pedey will come under fire with the fans. And then we fire him. And then we missed the rookie contract window with Wentz. So then we have to pay him 20 plus mil a year. Good luck bringing in any talented high priced free agents then to complete the puzzle. You need a sense of urgency. How many of these players is Wentz going to develop a chemistry with that lasts? Alshon? RMat? Peters? L Johnson? Kelce? JMat? Sproles? I mean what are we doing here?

Alshon signed here for LESS that some others offered.WHY? Because he sees the potential and a FO that gives a rats a**.We have a good season, why would he not come back for a SB shot?

Then you guys just aren't living in reality. Reality is the money rules things in the NFL. We are in a position where we need extra money to roll into next and future seasons. Instead we spent to the limit. And sure BG I like the Alshon pickup as well. But he wasn't coming here if he got the deal he wanted. We couldn't afford it. We only got real in the Alshon Sweepstakes because he wanted a one year deal as a prove it contract. Chance Warmack didn't cost anything. A failed talented high pick player. But one thing is guaranteed. If we actually are successful then they are all looking to get paid. To me it's pathetic to be a noncontending team that will have to choose between keeping their starting QB for the defense in Hicks or the top receiver in Alshon. Because to me that isn't good enough. We are going to need additions on top of that. You know because we aren't World Beaters. Then the ball just keeps rolling downhill on things. Because Pedey will come under fire with the fans. And then we fire him. And then we missed the rookie contract window with Wentz. So then we have to pay him 20 plus mil a year. Good luck bringing in any talented high priced free agents then to complete the puzzle. You need a sense of urgency. How many of these players is Wentz going to develop a chemistry with that lasts? Alshon? RMat? Peters? L Johnson? Kelce? JMat? Sproles? I mean what are we doing here?

So what would you rather have done,keep the lame guys at WR who can't catch so you could save the money for "later" Thats what we have always done and how many rings do we have???? Yep time to shift gears and realize that did not work and the "dream team" approach does not work,so this is what's left as an alternative

So if you are going to have a hard time keeping your players, two big players in Peters and Sproles are ready to retire,your capped out and you aren't a contending team then you went down the wrong path.

Lane will take over,we got Pumphrey,we are COVERED.One could argue we neem a guy to replace Celek.if that's all we need I consider this draft to be a success

4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Alshon signed here for LESS that some others offered.WHY? Because he sees the potential and a FO that gives a rats a**.We have a good season, why would he not come back for a SB shot?

I'm sure he will come back because we will have to franchise tag him.

Bills fired their GM the day after the draft.

Looks like ownership wasn't happy with the picks.

9 hours ago, GENETIC-FREAK said:

This year we are stacked except RB. Next year we gonna good on cap space as players like Kelce, Kendricks, Peters, Celek, Sproles, Curry, Matthews could all be gone. Just like the players say control what they can n the rest will sort it self out n fall into place. Next year is next year we have the 2017 season to focus on.

So you believe we are" stacked?"  So you think we are in the hunt. I thought we could be a tough team if we stacked the offense and got an elite RB. At least had that one side of the ball to carry the day. I don't see us as SB contenders. I see us as a capped out team half full of band aids.

No Murray was a bad-aid(FAIL) Maxwell was a Band-aid(FAIL) Now Alshon MAY fail here,but if there is any spark at all between he and Wentz,good things are gonna happen

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

I'm sure he will come back because we will have to franchise tag him.

Can we not wait and see how he plays first I mean seriously what if he is terrible or gets hurt etc. Might not even want him back next season then the 1 year deal looks like a blessing not a curse......Lets worry about 2018 in 2018 

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

No Murray was a bad-aid(FAIL) Maxwell was a Band-aid(FAIL)

Both these guys could have worked here look at there success in different cities would not called them band-aids just another Chipper fail 

Anyone else thinking a DE on our team could be on the moving possibly Curry.....I mean Barnett is here to stay, Long likely not worth much Graham isn't going anywhere.....If someone else steps up ie McCallister or Ms2(who had as many sacks as Curry in half the snaps) or Means.....Still looking at Kendricks and Kelce as possible trade options as well C is looking loaded Issac, Wis, Kelce, WVU C, Andrews......

The days of coddling MS2 are over.He's gonna have to fight for a roster spot now.Man up or move on

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

So what would you rather have done,keep the lame guys at WR who can't catch so you could save the money for "later" Thats what we have always done and how many rings do we have???? Yep time to shift gears and realize that did not work and the "dream team" approach does not work,so this is what's left as an alternative

Yeah I think this is more towards making my point. That we didn't win a SB because we were capped out and had a good team but couldn't retain good players because of our financial difficulties. You know to actually get over the hump you have to complete the puzzle. You need money so you can get that final piece or two to complete that puzzle. That's after you build up a contending core of players.----

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

The days of coddling MS2 are over.He's gonna have to fight for a roster spot now.Man up or move on

I agree but again same production as Curry in half the playing time and still a fraction of the cost