Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Eagles' Roster Build Still Not Complete

This isn’t over. Not by a long shot. The Eagles are not finished building the 2017 roster, even as the dust settles on the NFL Draft weekend and Phase Two of the offseason gets underway for the veteran players ...

View the full article

We expected flash during the draft because that has been what the FO has done for a few years. So sitting back and sticking to the board was a change. What I dont get though was how any of the picks had people high fiving in the streets.

Of course Barnett is coming in with high expectations. My guess is that he will be rotating with Curry. Jones should not be rushed back. Yes he is only 20 but rushing him back will do no good. Make sure he is fully healed and since he probably would only be ready (if cleared to play) after the half way point no need to prove anything at this point. Now if we can insert him for a few snaps a game and let him taste game speed that would be ideal.

We expected flash during the draft because that has been what the FO has done for a few years. So sitting back and sticking to the board was a change. What I dont get though was how any of the picks had people high fiving in the streets.

I didn't get it either until I realized that Joe Douglas was looking for playmakers as he drafted:
1. The next Trent Cole, a 260-lb DE who broke Reggie White’s sack record at Tennessee (Derek Barnett)
2. The next Eric Allen, who was the top CB in the draft (Sidney Jones)
3. The next Asante Samuel, who led the nation with 8 interceptions (Rasul Douglas)
4. The next Cris Carter, a 6’4” 210-lb TD-machine who averaged 20.6 yds/rec and a TD for every 4-receptions (Mack Hollins)
5. The next Darren Sproles, a RB who broke Marshall Faulk’s rushing record at San Diego State (Donnell Pumphrey)
6. The next Jeremy Maclin, a 6’0” WR who averaged 22 yds/rec (Shelton Gibson)
7. The next Seth Joyner, a chiseled 6’2” LB-DB (Nathan Gerry)
8. The next Beau Allen, a run-stopping DT to backup Fletcher Cox (Elijah Qualls)

Yeah, I don't get it either. Thanks 3rd & 1. Except for RB this is the most complete this roster has been at this point of the yr in quite a while. Not just slots filled w/ bodies but players w/ a lot of potential.

6 minutes ago, 3rd & 1 said:

I didn't get it either until I realized that Joe Douglas was looking for playmakers as he drafted:
1. The next Trent Cole, a 260-lb DE who broke Reggie White’s sack record at Tennessee (Derek Barnett)
2. The next Eric Allen, who was the top CB in the draft (Sidney Jones)
3. The next Asante Samuel, who led the nation with 8 interceptions (Rasul Douglas)
4. The next Cris Carter, a 6’4” 210-lb TD-machine who averaged 20.6 yds/rec and a TD for every 4-receptions (Mack Hollins)
5. The next Darren Sproles, a RB who broke Marshall Faulk’s rushing record at San Diego State (Donnell Pumphrey)
6. The next Jeremy Maclin, a 6’0” WR who averaged 22 yds/rec (Shelton Gibson)
7. The next Seth Joyner, a chiseled 6’2” LB-DB (Nathan Gerry)
8. The next Beau Allen, a run-stopping DT to backup Fletcher Cox (Elijah Qualls)

Great post!

If Qualls makes the Roster,which from watching his tape I think he has a good shot,and Beau Allen being out for a little awhile,he could be used as a FB on GL situations just like Allen was. ☟

Projects as a possible goal-line fullback option given his quickness and bulk.  A link with Strengths & Weaknesses:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2079708/elijah-qualls

In the last thread I mentioned how if Nate Gerry would win WILL LB that he may not have to come off of the field in Nickel. I found a link with Strengths & Weaknesses. Here's some his strengths: Chiseled from granite. Controlled, downhill shuffle from the box to mirror running back. Plays with advanced instincts against both run and pass. Anticipates patterns and can play ahead of receiver's breaks. Will not hesitate to fire into the passing lane. Has soft hands with plus ball skills leading to thirteen career interceptions. Races into his run support work. Can adjust his run fits according to flow of the play.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nate-gerry?id=2558175

Maybe this is all part of the run between the tackles RB plan w/o carrying an actual FB on the 53. Just don't want to see us trying to do that w/ sub 200 pounders anymore, it's frustrating.

Mjk good luck on surgery tomorrow will keep you in my prayers for a swift and speedy recovery. Will miss your opinions on the board so hurry back to us lol.

Thanks DWD. Should be home next Sun pm to annoy everyone. No cigs, no booze , eating way too healthy - my nerves are a little shot but get to look forward to this back not going out all the time.

This Draft may not have been players that we board members projected (with the exception of Barnett for me ☺) ,but I feel very optimistic about the play makers that the FO did pick. I can't wait till preseason to see what they have under the hood! I love seeing rookies make a splash,and that's just what I'm hoping to see. This is the best that I've seen the Roster look at this time of the off season for quite some time. Please Lord,let the Eagles return to dominating the NFCE, Conference, and bring us starving Eagle Fanatics a LONG COVETED SUPER BOWL! Amen

I'm not quite sure how anyone can complain about the draft. We got 2 top 15 talents a CB that is just learning the position and was one of the best off man CB in the draft if we can teach him to press he could be elite and he is a ballhawk. We gave ourselves depth for when Sproles retires next year. Added 2 big play recievers to take over for Torrey Smith next year and one is an elite ST player. Added a DT that was rated 3rd to 4th rd talent in the 6th. My only question in the draft was our S/LB pick but hopefully he can add size and show us he can match up outside with TE/RB in coverage.

12 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Maybe this is all part of the run between the tackles RB plan w/o carrying an actual FB on the 53. Just don't want to see us trying to do that w/ sub 200 pounders anymore, it's frustrating.

As long as the OL does its job and the RB hits the hole quick enough,it doesn't matter.

Pumphrey was a record-setting back at San Diego State and despite his size, he broke through first contact on 39.6 percent of his rushes, the fourth-best mark in the draft class. Steve Palazzolo, Pro Football Focus

11 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Thanks DWD. Should be home next Sun pm to annoy everyone. No cigs, no booze , eating way too healthy - my nerves are a little shot but get to look forward to this back not going out all the time.

Amen to that lol wish I could cute my back pain being stuck in a wheelchair sure has it's down falls lol

4 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

I'm not quite sure how anyone can complain about the draft. We got 2 top 15 talents a CB that is just learning the position and was one of the best off man CB in the draft if we can teach him to press he could be elite and he is a ballhawk. We gave ourselves depth for when Sproles retires next year. Added 2 big play receivers to take over for Torrey Smith next year and one is an elite ST player. Added a DT that was rated 3rd to 4th rd talent in the 6th. My only question in the draft was our S/LB pick but hopefully he can add size and show us he can match up outside with TE/RB in coverage.

DWD,its refreshing to see another phanatic that's optimistic about the Draft! Here's a link with Nate Gerry's strengths & weaknesses:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nate-gerry?id=2558175

3 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Sorry to hear that, didn't know. 1/3 of this past yr was spent w/ the back out and tired of it.

I hope you can make a full recovery and be pain free after the surgery. 

7 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Amen to that lol wish I could cute my back pain being stuck in a wheelchair sure has it's down falls lol

Sorry DWD,I wish it wasn't so. I'm not far behind you. I have Chronic Left Lumbo-Sacral Radiculopathy (nerve damage to the layman) ,and wouldn't wish it on anyone! I know that nothing else I say will help,so I'll just leave it at that. Oh wait,a Super Bowl might make you feel a little better,although I doubt it'll be this year,but maybe soon. We can only hope! TC

Thanks, never thought anything but a positive outcome, will be playing volleyball next spring, I can't think any other way.

7 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Sorry to hear that, didn't know. 1/3 of this past yr was spent w/ the back out and tired of it.

I broke my neck almost 11 years ago diving in a pool. It made life more challenging but I have come along way from where I was to now. I might live with pain everyday but I have a new respect for life and others. It has taught me so much more then it took away.

If DGB doesn't start worrying more about perfecting his craft than the Philly night life, he could find himself out of a job-As an Eagle at least!-with SO much competition in the WR room. I hope he doesn't waste the traits that the good Lord gave him. If he applies himself 100% he has the tools to be great. We'll see.