Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Eagles' Roster Build Still Not Complete

Welp, this time tomorrow I will be on my way to NC to get my wedding license... Feel sorry for the poor woman. To want to put up with this old sack of bones, must be desperate! I hope MJK has a successful operation. Seem like a good guy from his posts.

MJK under the knife as we speak

Mike Mayock doesn’t hide his contempt for draft’s circus atmosphere

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 29, 2017, 2:20 PM EDT

AP
There was a time when it went without saying that the NFL draft was only for the hardest of hard-core football fans: Who on earth would spend a spring day watching football players’ names being called except people who live and breathe football?

But that time has passed, and not everyone who lives and breathes football is happy about it.

Now the NFL has turned the draft into a massive event, one that draws tens of thousands of fans in person and several million viewers on television. Just as the Super Bowl now includes musical acts that hard-core football fans don’t care about, the NFL draft now includes picks being announced from locales around the world and even in outer space, all in an effort to make the draft a bigger event that appeals to more than just the hard-core fans who have always watched.

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock, about as hard-core a football fan as there is, got fed up with it today. As the Colts’ picks were announced with help from an orangutan at the Indianapolis Zoo, Mayock ripped his employer’s attempt to inject some levity into the proceedings.

"If we’re going back to the zoo, I’m walking off the desk,” Mayock said. "I’ve about had the zoo, OK? Enough. Enough. I mean, is this good TV?”

NFL Network’s Rich Eisen introduced the zoo segment with some sarcasm, saying, "If we don’t go to the zoo, the world will stop spinning.”

When the orangutan revealed the Colts’ selection of defensive tackle Grover Stewart, Mayock indicated he thought it was unfair to Stewart to turn one of the most significant moments of his life into a circus.

"I think we’ve got to be a little respectful,” Mayock said. "It’s a big day for Grover Stewart, and rather than talking about that chimp, let’s get back to some football here. It’s a big day for him.”

As NFL Network went to a commercial after that, Mayock could be heard saying, "At some point we’ve got to be able to talk about this.” It wasn’t clear if he was saying that to the audience or if he thought the commercial break had already begun and was saying it to his colleagues. Either way, he raises an important point: The NFL wants to grow the draft, but as it does so, it risks leaving its most passionate fans disillusioned.

Mayock should stick to REPORTING and leave the marketing to the marketing pros.People can decide for themselves if that ploy was "cute" or a load of hooey

1 hour ago, stine said:

Welp, this time tomorrow I will be on my way to NC to get my wedding license... Feel sorry for the poor woman. To want to put up with this old sack of bones, must be desperate! I hope MJK has a successful operation. Seem like a good guy from his posts.

Why you have to go all the way down to Carolina,is that where your fiance.

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

When the orangutan revealed the Colts’ selection of defensive tackle Grover Stewart, Mayock indicated he thought it was unfair to Stewart to turn one of the most significant moments of his life into a circus.

"I think we’ve got to be a little respectful,” Mayock said. "It’s a big day for Grover Stewart, and rather than talking about that chimp, let’s get back to some football here. It’s a big day for him.”

As NFL Network went to a commercial after that, Mayock could be heard saying, "At some point we’ve got to be able to talk about this.” It wasn’t clear if he was saying that to the audience or if he thought the commercial break had already begun and was saying it to his colleagues. Either way, he raises an important point: The NFL wants to grow the draft, but as it does so, it risks leaving its most passionate fans disillusioned.

I agree 1000%! It's absolutely SICKENING. That's one reason why I had no eagerness to go. If I lived down there,different story. But I'm not driving the whole way down there to be surrounded by a bunch of clowns. I'm also one of the fans that thinks these musical acts at half-time is a pile of BS!!! I don't care who it is. let a local High School band play for JUST the 15 mins. allotted till the 3rd Qtr. begins. I NEVER watch the half-time show,ESPECIALLY for lady goo-goo!!!! Absolutely despicable. Time that could/SHOULD be used talking to draftees or showing highlight footage is wasted on a bunch of crap that doesn't have thing one to do with Foosball! :nonono:

If you happen to see this Mr.Mayock,I support you.

Well, this started as a family reunion. Debbie and I figured seeing as our families are all going to be there anyway we should just do the deed there and save everyone money, including us! I just got shocked as co-workers took up a collection and handed me a card with $500.... totally taken aback by this. Anyway, I got to go... Tell MJK I was thinking about him when he gets back. I doubt I will be on here until the 14th or so....

3 minutes ago, stine said:

Well, this started as a family reunion. Debbie and I figured seeing as our families are all going to be there anyway we should just do the deed there and save everyone money, including us! I just got shocked as co-workers took up a collection and handed me a card with $500.... totally taken aback by this. Anyway, I got to go... Tell MJK I was thinking about him when he gets back. I doubt I will be on here until the 14th or so....

Hope you have a great time and a safe trip stine! ☺

I agree 1000%! It's absolutely SICKENING. That's one reason why I had no eagerness to go. If I lived down there,different story. But I'm not driving the whole way down there to be surrounded by a bunch of clowns. I'm also one of the fans that thinks these musical acts at half-time is a pile of BS!!! I don't care who it is. let a local High School band play for JUST the 15 mins. allotted till the 3rd Qtr. begins. I NEVER watch the half-time show,ESPECIALLY for lady goo-goo!!!! Absolutely despicable. Time that could/SHOULD be used talking to draftees or showing highlight footage is wasted on a bunch of crap that doesn't have thing one to do with Foosball! :nonono:

His job is to report sports,not make opinions about other things-DO YOUR JOB Mayock or are you planning on being a critic on advertisements as well???

IMO the SB is a SPECTACLE a once a year phenomenon.I really DONT want to see a HS band at the SB 1/2 time.People paid HUGE bucks to be there,so they must be entertained even at halftime.I DO watch SB 1/2 time shows,if there was HS band playing I would go make a sammich and take a leak

6 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IMO the SB is a SPECTACLE a once a year phenomenon.I really DONT want to see a HS band at the SB 1/2 time.People paid HUGE bucks to be there,so they must be entertained even at halftime.I DO watch SB 1/2 time shows,if there was HS band playing I would go make a sammich and take a leak

That is what I do,intermission. There shouldn't be some big act at the SB and It shouldn't cost anywhere near the fortune that it does for tickets to attend! It's out of control bro.

18 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

His job is to report sports,not make opinions about other things-DO YOUR JOB Mayock or are you planning on being a critic on advertisements as well???

Mayock doesn't need that job. If something makes him PO'd he has every right to voice his opinion & walk off if he so chooses. It's just like (well something) when you wanted to go to the aid of your daughter & they said if go you won't have a job when you get back. if something makes you mad enough,you're tell 'em to shove it and walk.LOL

10 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

That is what I do,intermission. There shouldn't be some big act at the SB and It shouldn't cost anywhere near the fortune that it does for tickets to attend! It's out of control bro.

The whole world watches,and I doubt they want to see a local HS band.Besides if the break was 15 mins,you think 50 million fans are gonna take leaks in that time frame? Takes that long waiting in line if you are there,at a sports club or whatever .So we have different ops on it.It's all about money,that is where it went out of control.Now bigger is better at whatever money they can get in

Trying to figure out this Gerry pick. They came out and said he was a LB. At 218 lbs. He's known as a workout freak also. So it's not like he can just add muscle coming into the NFL weight room to beef him up twenty pounds. Not sure how he gets to LB size then. Good Monsterback potential though.

Trying to figure out this Gerry pick. They came out and said he was a LB. At 218 lbs. He's known as a workout freak also. So it's not like he can just add muscle coming into the NFL weight room to beef him up twenty pounds. Not sure how he gets to LB size then. Good Monsterback potential though.

But in a way LIGHT usually means QUICKER,so maybe that's what they want on the WILL side.Maybe he was underfed in college lol

35 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Mayock doesn't need that job. If something makes him PO'd he has every right to voice his opinion & walk off if he so chooses. It's just like (well something) when you wanted to go to the aid of your daughter & they said if go you won't have a job when you get back. if something makes you mad enough,you're tell 'em to shove it and walk.LOL

Thats FAMILY,not even close to being similar.Mayock should stick to his job,not try and do everyone elses.BTW call the Olympic committee and tell them they need to 86 the opening day cermonies.Just let the athletes walk to their rooms,no sense wasting everyones time lol

4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

The whole world watches,and I doubt they want to see a local HS band.Besides if the break was 15 mins,you think 50 million fans are gonna take leaks in that time frame? Takes that long waiting in line if you are there,at a sports club or whatever .So we have different ops on it.It's all about money,that is where it went out of control.Now bigger is better at whatever money they can get in

Thank you,that's what I meant about it being out of control-All about the almighty dollar.

I don't specifically mean a HS band,i was just saying-"For Instance". You know I'm a dunce when it comes to trying to find the words to try and express what I'm thinking so that others will understand. ☺  Why can't they come up with some kind of Football oriented show? Maybe do highlights of all the newly enshrined HOF's.? Some kind of awards event? Anything but a big skit that doesn't have anything to do with football. That's just me. i'm sure there are people that love the half-time show as it is now,which is fine. I'm not gonna let it trouble me.

17 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:
  39 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Thats FAMILY,not even close to being similar.Mayock should stick to his job,not try and do everyone elses.BTW call the Olympic committee and tell them they need to 86 the opening day cermonies.Just let the athletes walk to their rooms,no sense wasting everyones time lol

Oh well,we just see it differently,that's what this board is for

16 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

He's a hybrid that would be great in nickel situations with his cover & attack abilities.

17 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Thank you,that's what I meant about it being out of control-All about the almighty dollar.

I don't specifically mean a HS band,i was just saying-"For Instance". You know I'm a dunce when it comes to trying to find the words to try and express what I'm thinking so that others will understand. ☺  Why can't they come up with some kind of Football oriented show? Maybe do highlights of all the newly enshrined HOF's.? Some kind of awards event? Anything but a big skit that doesn't have anything to do with football. That's just me. i'm sure there are people that love the half-time show as it is now,which is fine. I'm not gonna let it trouble me.

Maybe I agree with you,but look,that's not where the money is.Advertisers pay HUGE money to shoe their "cute" commercials.They even have a seperate dept. for that that does nothing but work on their SB ad ALL year.If YOU don't get the money,someone else WILL.yes I DO agree ticket prices are out of reach for the regular guy,but we're talking multi millions at stake and they don;t care if WE go,they will fill the stadium with those that can afford it

5 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

That's tradition with the Olympic ceremony isn't it?

17 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well like most things,whatever we think doesn't matter.The brass decides these things and I am but rusting tin lol

8 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

That's tradition with the Olympic ceremony isn't it?

Im sure it was incorporated at some point.Doubt they had them in Greece in 1600 or whatever year it was.if there's money to be made and sponsors who will pay,they do it

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Advertisers pay HUGE money to shoe their "cute" commercials.They even have a separate dept. for that that does nothing but work on their SB ad ALL year.If YOU don't get the money,someone else WILL.yes I DO agree ticket prices are out of reach for the regular guy,but we're talking multi millions at stake and they don;t care if WE go,they will fill the stadium with those that can afford it

SO TRUE! I do LOVE the commercials. ☺

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

At least the SB is NOT PPV(as of now-in the future who knows?)

Don't give 'em any stinking ideas,LOL   If Vince McMahon was commissioner I wouldn't doubt it!