Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Cornerback Picture: Work In Progress

There are 11 cornerbacks listed on the 90-man Eagles roster and every single one of them comes with a "yeah, but …” attached to him. There are four rookies, two first-year players, and two second-year men among the group, which collectively fits the description "a work in progress” ...

View the full article

This group might be tough to watch. But the praise that (even though its just shorts right now) that Barnett is looking really good should help get the pressure to the qb needed and take it off the secondary.

I just hope that we can get great production out of these CBs.  This will be one of the most fluid defensive positions this pre-season. I don't think we're done and I don't think that the starting CB are all here now.  Let the competition begin!

there IS 11 FOR A GOOD REASON. We need to find 3 that can cover at the NFL level. Heck, we probably need 4-5 as I doubt Jones will be here until 2018

Pulling for Aaron Grymes to at least be a backup if he doesn't win a starting position. The talent in the Canadian league is not as good as the NFL talent but the field of play is wider. Grymes excelled in Canada defending that wider field. He may only run a 4.6 40 yard dash but he must have done something right to defend that wider field. I believe he makes up for the 40 yard dash with his skill set.

While Cowboys and the Redskins got potential starters this year in Awuzie and Monroe, we got Next year Sydney. I still say we should have drafted Awuzie or the next best HEALTHY!!! CB on the board who would have contributed this year. There are too many medical risks with Achilles to draft for potential.

Don't know why some want to rush Jones onto the field. A few extra weeks could reduce re-injury. He also needs 6 regular season games to accrue a yr. Calm down, there's no rush as we're not built for this yr.

I am pretty confident that this CB group should still be more effective, simply because our front seven has had an infusion of talent. I expect year 2 in Schwartz Scheme, our DLine will get to the QB's with greater frequency. 11 CB's in camp a few holdovers from last year might be just good enough to win.

2 hours ago, TravelerVic said:

While Cowboys and the Redskins got potential starters this year in Awuzie and Monroe, we got Next year Sydney. I still say we should have drafted Awuzie or the next best HEALTHY!!! CB on the board who would have contributed this year. There are too many medical risks with Achilles to draft for potential.

I'm not sure why anyone would be complaining about this pick. Are we contenders this year? Would one of those other guys made us contenders this year? He will be back next year and was arguably the best CB in a great CB draft. At that point we should be getting a good to elite level CB. For when this team is ready to compete for a Superbowl in a couple years if we draft well and find a few ELITE talents like Jones could be.

Belicheat says he evaluates 15 guys as 1st rd talents we got 2 of those top 15 guys in this draft how can you complain about that?

Great article which clearly summarizes the position(s)! As this group goes, so go the Eagles.

I think it's the OFFENSE that is the group that makes it go

A little sad to see people saying they don't think the Eagles are built to compete this year.... really? seems to me they got WAY better, and they were a pretty good team last year. Losing 6 games by one score (including taking Dallas to OT in the first meeting) with one of ,if not the worst WR group in the NFL. The CB that hurt the Eagles the most with a TON of PI penalties, Nolan Carrol, is gone.
The front 7 are going to get after QBs, and make the CBs jobs easier.
Doug and Carson aren't rookies anymore, and they both have more weapons in the toolbox. I am excited for this year.

I don't mind when the rest of the league doesn't think the Eagles have a shot , but c'mon Eagles fans, have a little faith...

GO EAGLES !!

Eagles' medical staff is top notch... if they weren't almost certain he would be back to where he was, they would not have gotten him. He is a first round talent, gotten in the second round... just have to wait til he is ready.

13 hours ago, Eaglesoldtimer said:

Great article which clearly summarizes the position(s)! As this group goes, so go the Eagles.

I think it's the OFFENSE that is the group that makes it go

I think my wording wasn't clear? Of course, we expect the offense to be the strength of the team. With the CB position so in flux, the Eagles' success this year will surely depend on how the CBs evolve.

Good timing on the rule change having two guys able to return off IR. Jones we already knew was a possibity. Maybe this works out for Pumphrey as well. It's nice not having to declare one specific player. This rule change is huge.

Good timing on the rule change having two guys able to return off IR. Jones we already knew was a possibity. Maybe this works out for Pumphrey as well. It's nice not having to declare one specific player. This rule change is huge.

Whats wrong with Pumphrey? I obviously missed something.

Guess Ham's referring to Pumphreys' rough OTA's, as he's not injured as far as I know. In the old days otherwise healthy players the team didn't want to risk putting on the PS were "hidden" on IR. There's going to be a logjam for that other IR spot his yr as we have several injured players, sometimes you just have to put them on the 53 but not dress them on gameday - sucks! Then there's the new rule they're cutting out the mid roster cut so it's straight to 53, they'll want several slots open for immediate signings - it'll be a frantic few days.

Like Nelson Agholor, Owens once struggled to catch the football. There was a stretch where he led the NFL in drops.

Owens signature NFL moment came in the 1998 Divisional playoffs against the Packers when he caught the game-winning touchdown. Before that catch, Owens had numerous drops, and his confidence was shot.
The future Hall of Fame receiver had a specific message for Nelson Agholor:

"I think it starts with yourself and your coaching,” Owens explained. "You have to work on it day in and day out. Come in early, study film, work on your hands, even staying after practice. Those are some of the things that I worked on when I had a case where I had the dropsies. Nine times out of ten, if I had a drop, it was because I tried to run before I caught it.

"These are some of the things that these guys have to be aware of. You can’t make a play without the football. You can’t score a touchdown without the football in your hands. You have to be in a relationship with the ball. Receive it, not fight it. Sometimes when a guy is so anxious and with his situation he’s had drops that affect his psyche. He just has to relax. Treat practices like games. Keep practicing catching those footballs every time that you can.”

Guess Ham's referring to Pumphreys' rough OTA's, as he's not injured as far as I know. In the old days otherwise healthy players the team didn't want to risk putting on the PS were "hidden" on IR. There's going to be a logjam for that other IR spot his yr as we have several injured players, sometimes you just have to put them on the 53 but not dress them on gameday - sucks! Then there's the new rule they're cutting out the mid roster cut so it's straight to 53, they'll want several slots open for immediate signings - it'll be a frantic few days.

Makes sense