Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Cornerback Picture: Work In Progress

Seems like they really want to hold on to everyone they can to compete in camp and holding out for possible trades before the carnage begins

17 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  18 hours ago, Eaglesoldtimer said:

Great article which clearly summarizes the position(s)! As this group goes, so go the Eagles.

I think it's the OFFENSE that is the group that makes it go

I think my wording wasn't clear? Of course, we expect the offense to be the strength of the team. With the CB position so in flux, the Eagles' success this year will surely depend on how the CBs evolve.

It will be better than last year,a top 10? doubtful,but the point is 1)score a few more PPG and 2) stop the opponent a few extra points a game.If we had those things last year we would have been in the division race,so to say how the secondary plays is how the team goes I cannot agree with

SOOOO,assuming the secondary will be a tad better than last year we have 1)Blount vs RMat 2) Alshon and Smith vs Agholor and DGB(assuming JMat stays in his slot role 3) Barnett vs Barwin(great guy but not a fit here) 4) A QB with 1 year's experience under his belt 5) ditto for Pederson 5) Hollins.Gibson in the wings vs Treggs and turner.So I have zero clue WHY anyone can't believe we will be much more solid than last year

SOOOO,assuming the secondary will be a tad better than last year we have 1)Blount vs RMat 2) Alshon and Smith vs Agholor and DGB(assuming JMat stays in his slot role 3) Barnett vs Barwin(great guy but not a fit here) 4) A QB with 1 year's experience under his belt 5) ditto for Pederson 5) Hollins.Gibson in the wings vs Treggs and turner.So I have zero clue WHY anyone can't believe we will be much more solid than last year

Add to this we picked up Sproles replacement(no need to alter the playbook) with Pumphrey,we got the 75th best player in the draft as a UDFA(amazing he wasn't drafted) in Orlosky AND to top that off we have a solid round 1 pick just itching to get back on the field in Jones.We SHOULD be pretty good this year and in '18 I see no reason we can't make a run at that elusive Lombardi

NFW - Allman? Another partial end of an era. Could be a nasty cuss - knew him - but inventive as hell. Going to see Buddy Guy and the Skynyrd remnants here this summer just because I don't know if I'll ever hear them live again. F*** - the Allman story's true, havin a beer or 3.

First Clapton with the finger probs, now Allman, damn. Youngins won't understand, they think music is still being invented - these guys did the inventing. Hasn't been anything created in decades. Just my opinion so don't even try to argue with reality - what a concept!

Nobody's said anything about the skipping of the mid cut down but me. How's everyone feel about the change?

First Clapton with the finger probs, now Allman, damn. Youngins won't understand, they think music is still being invented - these guys did the inventing. Hasn't been anything created in decades. Just my opinion so don't even try to argue with reality - what a concept!

Nobody's said anything about the skipping of the mid cut down but me. How's everyone feel about the change?

I think there will be fallout they weren't planning on.I don;t see the reson for the change really when there are OTHER rules that should be looked at.I know Clapton.He's really nice

Met Clapton yrs ago, one of the most musically knowledgeable if not the ( besides believe it or not JT ) techs and inventors ever. Just got off the phone w/ one of my docs who's world famous but in gastro/pancreas - did Crosby and Beck. We both tinker w/ acoustic but has no idea what's going on w/ him, we'll talk tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm not sure if these owners thought about this direct cut down very well. Sometimes good players are let go early, at least they used to be. I just see this mad dash at the end and then some good guys holding out.

4 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

I did back on the 24th on (News)-WR Mack Hollins And His Rookie Life

In a move that improves chances for roster long-shots but also intensifies a frantic, end-of-preseason period for head coaches and general managers, NFL owners on Tuesday voted to eliminate the first cut-down period forcing teams to trim their roster to 75 before the final preseason game.

Now, there will be one cut down following the preseason, from a 90-man roster to a 53-man.………………… by:Connor Orr

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000810525/article/nfl-owners-eliminate-first-roster-cutdown-period

I don't know what to think of this yet other than it giving the underdogs more of a chance to shine. I know that it's gonna make the cuts even harder if the competition is really tough in the various corps. We shall see & I CAN'T WAIT!

Sat. May 27,2017•11:14pm

I think the biggest reason they did it was so that they can get an extra game to review the players on the bubble since preseason Game 4 is mostly all rooks playing. It could also be so that it gives other teams more film to review which could add more leverage in making trades.

9 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

It will be better than last year,a top 10? doubtful,but the point is 1)score a few more PPG and 2) stop the opponent a few extra points a game.If we had those things last year we would have been in the division race,so to say how the secondary plays is how the team goes I cannot agree with

Secondary and Pass Rush go hand-in-hand to an extent. No way does the play of the secondary alone dictate how the team goes. There are SO MANY MORE cogs that need to work in unison;every single position on O and D + ST's. That's what makes this the ultimate TEAM game! There's no 'I' in team.

On 5/26/2017 at 11:41 AM, rlubrich87 said:

This group might be tough to watch. But the praise that (even though its just shorts right now) that Barnett is looking really good should help get the pressure to the qb needed and take it off the secondary.

Even better that the praise came from one of the best T's in the league;Lane! I think it's promising that Douglas has impressed so much that he's already running with the 1's on the outside when in nickel with Robinson on the other side & Mills sliding in to the slot.

No idea how the cut directly to 53 will affect teams. I suspect it will cause some unexpected cuts on every team "essentially" trading for needy positions resulting in some unexpected cuts to pick up those coveted drops elsewhere.

As for the CB POSITION, the Eagles are taking a significant risk at this position this season.

And can this team compete THIS year? Sure. Will they? Maybe. On paper means nothing. Will all of these newcomers gel? Is there enough senior leadership to self police in the locker room? Will enough players care if they are just mediocre again?

I personally plan to go to the game in LA vs the Rams in December. But i wont buy my tickets until late because I think both of those teams could be out of the playoff race by then. Means cheaper ticket prices. Hope Eagles are kicking butt; however, they have a tough road to haul in a division where all teams got better on paper.

6 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

As for the CB POSITION, the Eagles are taking a significant risk at this position this season.

Gotta start somewhere bud. It's not like there were any 'sure hits' at CB in FA. Anyways,we've seen the outcome of that gig in years past. The secondary will be better than last year and the pass rush will also be better as the team now has more talented rotators along the DL compared to last season.

Would you please stop changing your user photo every hour. If not for your username being there I wouldn't know it was you! JK

Having more accomplished WR's this offseason will go much further in the enlightenment for these young CB's compared to last year.

Rodney McLeod, Eagles Agree to Restructured Contract: Tyler Conway•May 27,2017

The Philadelphia Eagles and safety Rodney McLeod agreed to a contract restructuring Saturday that will save the team $2.4 million in cap space for the 2017 season.

Jason Fitzgerald of Over the Cap reported the news. Under terms of the new deal, McLeod will have a $775,000 base salary next season. The team converted $3.225 million of his original $4 million salary into a bonus.

McLeod, 26, recorded 83 tackles and three interceptions in 2016, his first season in Philadelphia. He previously spent four seasons with the Los Angeles Rams, starting 48 consecutive games from 2013-2015. In total, McLeod has never missed a game in his five-year NFL career and has racked up 64 straight starts.………………………………………

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2712114-rodney-mcleod-eagles-agree-to-restructured-contract

Is this dude a team player or what? I hope that Rodney's sacrifice has a trickle down effect;two :thumbsup: up!

Former Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly lands as ESPN analyst:

ESPN announced Friday it signed Kelly, 53, to a multi-year deal to be a studio analyst for both college football and the NFL.…………………According to a press release, Kelly will have a "significant presence" on ESPN broadcasts this fall. He'll be part of pregame, halftime and postgame studios on ESPN2, and he'll appear on SportsCenter on Fridays and Sundays "offering insight" ?????????? :lol: into college football and the NFL.

"Over the last 30 years, I have experienced football from one perspective - as a coach,(with a huge-'Let go of my Ego):roll: " Kelly said in a release. "Working in television will allow me to see the game from a different angle; simultaneously, I'll provide viewers an insight to the mindset of a coach and team while offering alternative views of various situations."…………………………………

http://www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/index.ssf/2017/05/former_philadelphia_eagles_coa.html

Is this a joke or what! I just lost another HUGE level of respect for these 'so-called' Analysts. I thought for sure that he'd be going back to 592a7cacf29c4_OregonDucksLogo.jpg.29c68d5bbc5827c31e7fd62410a89db1.jpg

SI reporter predicts Philadelphia Eagles will finish 7-9, rookies make impressions and more: :censored::furious:

http://www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/index.ssf/2017/05/si_reporter_predicts_philadelp.html

Philadelphia Eagles defensive line to shuffle deck for different combinations:

The Eagles defensive line lost productive tackle Bennie Logan in the offseason, but it added first-round pick Derek Barnett in the draft and Tim Jernigan in a trade with the Baltimore Ravens. With defensive end Brandon Graham coming off the best season of his career and defensive tackle Fletcher Cox among the best in the NFL at his position, the Eagles are putting together a deep defensive line. The top four linemen entering OTA's would appear to be Cox and Jernigan at tackle and Graham and Curry at defensive end. But there's still plenty of time for Barnett, who has impressed his teammates, to get up to speed, while Destiny Vaeao got first-team reps this week during Cox's absence.There's also sixth-round pick Elijah Qualls, the sidelined Beau Allen and free-agent acquisition Chris Long, among others, who might see time. There's an abundance of players, and depending on situations, they might get shifted around. Last summer, Schwartz made a cross-sport comparison for how he wants his defensive ends to play. "It's a little bit like those [baseball] relievers coming out of the bullpen that are heating it up at 98 and 99 [miles per hour]," Schwartz said. "It's hard to do that for seven innings, but you can do it for a couple innings, and that's what we expect from those guys."

So that's why Curry might sometimes be rushing off the edge and then pushing up the middle a couple plays later. If it gets the right combination of fresh, aggressive linemen on the field, that's what the Eagles will roll with.

http://www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/index.ssf/2017/05/philadelphia_eagles_defensive_1.html

As long as they are smashin' QB's or at least disrupting their timing to make big plays and take pressure off of the secondary,I'll be as happy as 592a836058f81_TheWaterboyDCoachDuringTD.gif.08f83fb1c00f1d13c2d65d9bf08609d1.gif

Josh Norman Puts NFC East Receivers On Notice

http://www.csnphilly.com/video/josh-norman-puts-nfc-east-receivers-notice

I love this trash talk (STUPID on his part) from players of other teams in the NFCE. I really hope it lights a 'Towering Inferno' under the Eagles' WR's!

Starter, special teams, cheerleader: Rasul Douglas ready for any role:

Of the 45 players at Eagles rookie camp this weekend, perhaps no one is more important to the 2017 season than cornerback Rasul Douglas. Based on the team's depth at his position, Douglas could play a lot as a rookie. He could even start. 

But the third-round pick claims he doesn't care what his role is. 

"Whatever. Even if it's special teams, cheerleader," Douglas said by his locker Friday afternoon. "It doesn't matter. Whatever they need me to play. They give me an opportunity to play there, I'm definitely going to take it." 

The Eagles can probably leave the pom-poms to the trained professionals on the sideline. They're gonna need Douglas on the football field. 

While Douglas was a very late third-round pick (No. 99 overall), the guys in front of him don't exactly instill confidence: Jalen Mills, Ron Brooks, Patrick Robinson and C.J. Smith are the frontrunners to compete for playing time. So if Douglas is able to show something throughout the spring and summer, he very well could become a starter. 

"I think the biggest thing with him is picking up the terminology and the scheme," head coach Doug Pederson said. "We know what he can do on the football field. He’s long, he’s aggressive, he has great ball skills. We know that part about him, so it’s just a matter of transitioning over and understanding the defensive terminology. 

"Listen, guys that come in like that, guys that you can plug in and get a lot of reps early, this is a beneficial camp for him. It’s just him and the coaches for three days. It will be a great learning [experience] and a great learning process for him going forward."

So what can Douglas really show this weekend? After all, it's just a three-day camp in shorts. And for Douglas (6-2, 209), playing tough at the line of scrimmage is a big part of his game. He's not able to do that this weekend. 

Still, he showed up ready for work Friday. 

"This weekend means a lot to me," he said. "I want to show them I can play ball, of course. I think they already have a little idea. I think that's why they drafted me, but I just want to show them I can play ball."

Douglas, who once struggled so much financially he (This is a must see ) had to ration McDonald's dollar menu items, signed his rookie contract Thursday. It was a special moment for the East Orange, New Jersey, native. 

Another special moment happened for Douglas on Thursday morning. About five minutes before he needed to be on the practice field at the NovaCare Complex, he walked out of the building to soak it all in. Just a few return men were fielding punts as Douglas took a moment for himself. 

"Like 'I'm in the NFL,'" Douglas said. "Now, it's time for me to play football."

What the Eagles' rookies are doing this weekend doesn’t really look like football, though. They're in shorts and helmets as they work on technique, try to learn the playbook and familiarize themselves with new terminology. 

But in a couple weeks, Douglas will get a chance to line up across the line against, among others, Alshon Jeffery. 

"I'm definitely looking forward to it a lot," Douglas said after his eyes lit up upon hearing Jeffery's name. "You want to just compete against the best guys."

If Douglas plays as a rookie, he'll see plenty of the best guys in the league throughout the season: Odell Beckham Jr., Dez Bryant, Terrelle Pryor, Brandon Marshall.  

Over the next few months, the Eagles will hope to learn he's ready for the challenge.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagles/starter-special-teams-cheerleader-rasul-douglas-ready-any-role

I really hope this works out with Douglas & Jones in the near future. I wanna go back to the days when the Eagles had one of the Top 5 CB tandems in the NFL! I honestly think that if the O and the DL can light it up,that CB is the last piece of the puzzle to get to the ultimate prize.GO EAGLES! :towel:

On 5/26/2017 at 6:28 PM, mjkline1958 said:

Don't know why some want to rush Jones onto the field. A few extra weeks could reduce re-injury. He also needs 6 regular season games to accrue a yr. Calm down, there's no rush as we're not built for this yr.

If I could,I'd give ONE THOUSAND LIKES for that!!!

On 5/27/2017 at 4:54 AM, PhillyRod said:

Eagles' medical staff is top notch... if they weren't almost certain he would be back to where he was, they would not have gotten him. He is a first round talent, gotten in the second round... just have to wait til he is ready.

Well said Rod! ☺

18 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Sometimes when a guy is so anxious and with his situation he’s had drops that affect his psyche. He just has to relax. Treat practices like games. Keep practicing catching those footballs every time that you can.”

That's exactly why I asked guys to please ease up on Agh. I think he's gonna pull it together this season. He did well every season in OTA's,Camp,and practice,but he just couldn't get right on game day. I feel that he was pressing WAY too hard due to his situation,and now that he has the vet WR additions I feel that it'll that pressure allowing him to go with the flow. I remember very well B4 my injury (I was carrying a 207 avg.) when I was in my bowling league,I was ONE Strike away from a perfect 300. Wouldn't you know it,EVERYONE in the house stopped bowling and a huge flock gathered behind my lane. I missed my mark by one board and CHOKED,ending up with a 288. The point is,I never got another chance. That 1st time with the 'Spot light' was something I wasn't used to and with another shot I would've handled it much better.