Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Cornerback Picture: Work In Progress

18 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Eagles have reportedly picked up $2.4 million in cap space, by converting $3.225 million of Rodney McLeod's salary into a bonus.

http://nfltraderumors.co/eagles-pick-2-4m-cap-space-reworking-s-rodney-mcleods-deal/

I'm SORRY DC,I posted this B4 I saw that you already had it listed. I was going thru the news and just got on a roll.

TD123, or should I say "288"? That's quite an accomplishment, getting that close. I suspect most of the pressure was internal - you might have done the same thing if no one were watching. But that was one time. I'm sure you delivered many times in the clutch for your team,,,,,,,,,,,,,which is honestly more than I can say for Agholor, given countless chances. And yes, I'll bet he largely solves the mental issues, but he STILL cannot run precise patterns, nor gain separation - he never had to learn.

16 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Nobody's said anything about the skipping of the mid cut down but me. How's everyone feel about the change?

I did back on the 24th on (News)-WR Mack Hollins And His Rookie Life

In a move that improves chances for roster long-shots but also intensifies a frantic, end-of-preseason period for head coaches and general managers, NFL owners on Tuesday voted to eliminate the first cut-down period forcing teams to trim their roster to 75 before the final preseason game.

Now, there will be one cut down following the preseason, from a 90-man roster to a 53-man.………………… by:Connor Orr

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000810525/article/nfl-owners-eliminate-first-roster-cutdown-period

I don't know what to think of this yet other than it giving the underdogs more of a chance to shine. I know that it's gonna make the cuts even harder if the competition is really tough in the various corps. We shall see & I CAN'T WAIT!

Sat. May 27,2017•11:14pm

I think the biggest reason they did it was so that they can get an extra game to review the players on the bubble since preseason Game 4 is mostly all rooks playing. It could also be so that it gives other teams more film to review which could add more leverage in making trades.

Really I don;t see how ONE game is going to decide anything,vs the fact this is going to be really hectic.NOW you can't review possible players early.Think this will open a can of worms

No idea how the cut directly to 53 will affect teams. I suspect it will cause some unexpected cuts on every team "essentially" trading for needy positions resulting in some unexpected cuts to pick up those coveted drops elsewhere.

As for the CB POSITION, the Eagles are taking a significant risk at this position this season.

And can this team compete THIS year? Sure. Will they? Maybe. On paper means nothing. Will all of these newcomers gel? Is there enough senior leadership to self police in the locker room? Will enough players care if they are just mediocre again?

I personally plan to go to the game in LA vs the Rams in December. But i wont buy my tickets until late because I think both of those teams could be out of the playoff race by then. Means cheaper ticket prices. Hope Eagles are kicking butt; however, they have a tough road to haul in a division where all teams got better on paper.

the "BORED" gang is going to the Denver game.Wish I could make it

Rodney McLeod, Eagles Agree to Restructured Contract: Tyler Conway•May 27,2017

The Philadelphia Eagles and safety Rodney McLeod agreed to a contract restructuring Saturday that will save the team $2.4 million in cap space for the 2017 season.

Jason Fitzgerald of Over the Cap reported the news. Under terms of the new deal, McLeod will have a $775,000 base salary next season. The team converted $3.225 million of his original $4 million salary into a bonus.

McLeod, 26, recorded 83 tackles and three interceptions in 2016, his first season in Philadelphia. He previously spent four seasons with the Los Angeles Rams, starting 48 consecutive games from 2013-2015. In total, McLeod has never missed a game in his five-year NFL career and has racked up 64 straight starts.………………………………………

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2712114-rodney-mcleod-eagles-agree-to-restructured-contract

Is this dude a team player or what? I hope that Rodney's sacrifice has a trickle down effect;two :thumbsup: up!

He loses nothing,he just converted his check around

Former Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly lands as ESPN analyst:

ESPN announced Friday it signed Kelly, 53, to a multi-year deal to be a studio analyst for both college football and the NFL.…………………According to a press release, Kelly will have a "significant presence" on ESPN broadcasts this fall. He'll be part of pregame, halftime and postgame studios on ESPN2, and he'll appear on SportsCenter on Fridays and Sundays "offering insight" ?????????? :lol: into college football and the NFL.

"Over the last 30 years, I have experienced football from one perspective - as a coach,(with a huge-'Let go of my Ego):roll: " Kelly said in a release. "Working in television will allow me to see the game from a different angle; simultaneously, I'll provide viewers an insight to the mindset of a coach and team while offering alternative views of various situations."…………………………………

http://www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/index.ssf/2017/05/former_philadelphia_eagles_coa.html

Is this a joke or what! I just lost another HUGE level of respect for these 'so-called' Analysts. I thought for sure that he'd be going back to 592a7cacf29c4_OregonDucksLogo.jpg.29c68d5bbc5827c31e7fd62410a89db1.jpg

SI reporter predicts Philadelphia Eagles will finish 7-9, rookies make impressions and more: :censored::furious:

http://www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/index.ssf/2017/05/si_reporter_predicts_philadelp.html

Just lost alot of respect for both places lol.WOW suck as a HC and still get to be an ANALyst.I'm going into brain surgery cause I read a BOOK about it

ESPN is a far cry from how exciting and energized it used to be, IMO. Now it's El Chipper!!  What kind of wisdom can he spout now.  No hope for either ESPN or Chipper!!

ESPN is a far cry from how exciting and energized it used to be, IMO. Now it's El Chipper!!  What kind of wisdom can he spout now.  No hope for either ESPN or Chipper!!

IMO ESPN went downhill because they got political. When I turn on a sports program the last thing I want to hear is a thinly veiled political commentary.

3 hours ago, EaglesNJ69 said:

IMO ESPN went downhill because they got political. When I turn on a sports program the last thing I want to hear is a thinly veiled political commentary.

Everything is political now.At least NOW my granddaugher is no longer confused about which bathroom she can use

40 minutes ago, ASG15 said:
  3 hours ago, EaglesNJ69 said:

Everything is political now.At least NOW my granddaugher is no longer confused about which bathroom she can use

I somehow doubt she ever was.

I personally have nothing bad to say about Chip. Here is a list of Eagles Head Coaches and their won/loss records since I have been a fan.
Joe Kuharich 28- 41
Jerry Williams 7- 22
Ed Khayat 8 - 15
Mike McCormack 16 -25
D Vermeil 54 - 47
Marion Campbell 17 - 29
Fred Bruney 1 -0
Buddy Ryan 43 - 35
Rich Kotite 36 - 28
Ray Rhodes 29 - 34
Andy Reid 130 - 93
Chip Kelly 26 - 21
Pat Shurmur 1 - 0
Doug Pederson 7 - 9

What is the common denominator between all these coaches? No Super Bowl wins.
Jeffery Lurie has been the owner for 24 years. No Super Bowl wins.
Howie Rosemen was the GM from 2010 thru 2014. No playoff wins. Then he was promoted to Executive Vice president in 2015 through the present. Still no playoff wins.
There is no way anyone can convince me that the reason why we don't have a Super Bowl win as of yet is due to all the bad head coaches we have had in the past. Bad talent yes! Ask Mr. Lurie if he would give his head coach 24 years to win a Super Bowl. Ask Howie Roseman if he would promote his under study after being in charge of a team that has no playoff wins through 5 years. I think we all know the answer to both those questions. A lot of blame to go around. Not just Kelly or any other previous head coach.

I personally have nothing bad to say about Chip. Here is a list of Eagles Head Coaches and their won/loss records since I have been a fan.
Joe Kuharich 28- 41
Jerry Williams 7- 22
Ed Khayat 8 - 15
Mike McCormack 16 -25
D Vermeil 54 - 47
Marion Campbell 17 - 29
Fred Bruney 1 -0
Buddy Ryan 43 - 35
Rich Kotite 36 - 28
Ray Rhodes 29 - 34
Andy Reid 130 - 93
Chip Kelly 26 - 21
Pat Shurmur 1 - 0
Doug Pederson 7 - 9

Howie Rosemen was the GM from 2010 thru 2014. No playoff wins. Then he was promoted to Executive Vice president in 2015 through the present. Still no playoff wins.
There is no way anyone can convince me that the reason why we don't have a Super Bowl win as of yet is due to all the bad head coaches we have had in the past. Bad talent yes! Ask Mr. Lurie if he would give his head coach 24 years to win a Super Bowl. Ask Howie Roseman if he would promote his under study after being in charge of a team that has no playoff wins through 5 years. I think we all know the answer to both those questions. A lot of blame to go around. Not just Kelly or any other previous head coach.

Yeah but also depends on what was INHERITED.Chip inherited an ok team then dismantled it(and why we are now re-tooling AGAIN)

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  2 hours ago, ASG15 said:
  5 hours ago, EaglesNJ69 said:

She was

2 hours ago, ASG15 said:
  2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  2 hours ago, ASG15 said:
  5 hours ago, EaglesNJ69 said:

She was

or more concisely,WHO was allowed in there WITH her

Yeah but also depends on what was INHERITED.Chip inherited an ok team then dismantled it(and why we are now re-tooling AGAIN)

Thats debatable GB. Kelly inherited a team in 2013 that didn't win a playoff game since 2008. He got them to the playoffs in his first year and after they lost he decided HE needed to retool. How long does it take to retool? How many years are we going to give Pederson to retool? Probably three years. This season will be his second year.

7 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Really I don;t see how ONE game is going to decide anything,vs the fact this is going to be really hectic.NOW you can't review possible players early.Think this will open a can of worms

I can't see how that 4th PS game would change anything either,but I can't think of any other reason for this 1 cut down. Ever since early in the week when I heard the news of this 'rule' change,I've been scratching my head as to why. That 4th game for one more look with 75% non-key players in the game and to get more film on those players (15 X 32 teams) for other teams to examine for trade reasons,Practice Squad players,etc.,are the only things I can come up with. Maybe the explanation is so clear that it's right in front of me and I still can't see it? I really wish someone would've given a good reason for this change,because other than the aforementioned…I have NO clue other than its gonna be a rat race between the end of preseason and Week 1!

10 hours ago, Eaglesoldtimer said:

TD123, or should I say "288"? That's quite an accomplishment, getting that close. I suspect most of the pressure was internal - you might have done the same thing if no one were watching. But that was one time. I'm sure you delivered many times in the clutch for your team,,,,,,,,,,,,,which is honestly more than I can say for Agholor, given countless chances. And yes, I'll bet he largely solves the mental issues, but he STILL cannot run precise patterns, nor gain separation - he never had to learn.

Sure,I always had my team mates,opponents,and a few others watching which never bothered me ONE bit because I was confident in my ability,but I never had ALL action in the house stop to hone in on me. I would've felt some pressure regardless,but to have all quiet was something I wasn't used to.

If Agh doesn't work out this season,then he can't be fixed. PERIOD!

3 hours ago, ASG15 said:

Now days,90% of the sports talk shows are nothing but a scripted debate and it's quite sickening to me. As soon as it starts I have to change the channel before I get out of hand.

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Everything is political now.At least NOW my granddaughter is no longer confused about which bathroom she can use

That 'bathroom' subject is something that I can't discuss on media for fear of being 'politically' incorrect.

8 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I can't see how that 4th PS game would change anything either,but I can't think of any other reason for this 1 cut down. Ever since early in the week when I heard the news of this 'rule' change,I've been scratching my head as to why. That 4th game for one more look with 75% non-key players in the game and to get more film on those players (15 X 32 teams) for other teams to examine for trade reasons,Practice Squad players,etc.,are the only things I can come up with. Maybe the explanation is so clear that it's right in front of me and I still can't see it? I really wish someone would've given a good reason for this change,because other than the aforementioned…I have NO clue other than its gonna be a rat race between the end of preseason and Week 1!

I guess I don't understand it then. Can't clubs still cut players loose anytime they want? I thought the new rule only meant that they can hold onto players longer before they decide to cut them.

Joe Kuharich 28- 41
Jerry Williams 7- 22
Ed Khayat 8 - 15
Mike McCormack 16 -25
D Vermeil 54 - 47
Marion Campbell 17 - 29
Fred Bruney 1 -0
Buddy Ryan 43 - 35
Rich Kotite 36 - 28
Ray Rhodes 29 - 34
Andy Reid 130 - 93
Chip Kelly 26 - 21
Pat Shurmur 1 - 0
Doug Pederson 7 - 9

Chip SUCKED though, real talk. He 86ed proven talent to turn the eagles into the bad knees bears, literally EVERYONE he brought in was dealing with a knee injury the year before. He brought in his bullstuff gimmick offense. He crap the bed in the draft and set this team back years. There is a reason he cant find work now. CHIP SUCKED!

6 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I guess I don't understand it then. Can't clubs still cut players loose anytime they want? I thought the new rule only meant that they can hold onto players longer before they decide to cut them.

Hey wrang,you are correct. The new rule IS so that teams can hold onto players longer before they decide to cut them. But why? Wouldn't you think that the teams already know which of these 15 players (90 to 75,like before) are not going to make the team? Is the rule because of the reasons that I stated or is it so much simpler than that and I'm making it harder to understand than it should be?

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

Joe Kuharich 28- 41
Jerry Williams 7- 22
Ed Khayat 8 - 15
Mike McCormack 16 -25
D Vermeil 54 - 47
Marion Campbell 17 - 29
Fred Bruney 1 -0
Buddy Ryan 43 - 35
Rich Kotite 36 - 28
Ray Rhodes 29 - 34
Andy Reid 130 - 93
Chip Kelly 26 - 21
Pat Shurmur 1 - 0
Doug Pederson 7 - 9

Chip SUCKED though, real talk. He 86ed proven talent to turn the eagles into the bad knees bears, literally EVERYONE he brought in was dealing with a knee injury the year before. He brought in his bullstuff gimmick offense. He crap the bed in the draft and set this team back years. There is a reason he cant find work now. CHIP SUCKED!

What if the Eagles would have done for Chip what they did for Pederson? In 2015 they weren't willing to move from pick #20 to pick number #2 to take Chip's quarterback Marcus Mariota, but in 2016 they were willing to move from pick #13 to pick #8 to pick #2 to get Pederson his quarterback in Wentz. I think we can all agree that Mariota would have definitely helped out the team better than Agholor has thus far. Lets not forget, Chip was fired during his second year of a rebuild. Using that same criteria if Pederson does not get the team to the playoffs this year he should be fired but that is not going to happen. The long and short of the whole thing is that Chip rubbed upper management the wrong way and that is why he is gone. Lets also remember that the same people who hired Chip have hired Pederson. The only difference is that now we also have Douglas in place at GM. If we are good this year, I will be giving him the credit for bringing in better players.

2 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

What if the Eagles would have done for Chip what they did for Pederson? In 2015 they weren't willing to move from pick #20 to pick number #2 to take Chip's quarterback Marcus Mariota, but in 2016 they were willing to move from pick #13 to pick #8 to pick #2 to get Pederson his quarterback in Wentz. I think we can all agree that Mariota would have definitely helped out the team better than Agholor has thus far. Lets not forget, Chip was fired during his second year of a rebuild. Using that same criteria if Pederson does not get the team to the playoffs this year he should be fired but that is not going to happen. The long and short of the whole thing is that Chip rubbed upper management the wrong way and that is why he is gone. Lets also remember that the same people who hired Chip have hired Pederson. The only difference is that now we also have Douglas in place at GM. If we are good this year, I will be giving him the credit for bringing in better players.

Very well said wrang. Chip did want Mariota BAD,and who knows,with Marcus knowing that system SO WELL he might've been able to make a smooth transition,but we'll never know. I think you stated one of the biggest reasons for Chip's failure when you said that he rubbed upper management the wrong way. He did not play well with others.

Now,can you please answer my question whenever you get a chance?