Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Cornerback Picture: Work In Progress

26 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I guess I don't understand it then. Can't clubs still cut players loose anytime they want? I thought the new rule only meant that they can hold onto players longer before they decide to cut them.

Hey wrang,you are correct. The new rule IS so that teams can hold onto players longer before they decide to cut them. But why? Wouldn't you think that the teams already know which of these 15 players (90 to 75,like before) are not going to make the team? Is the rule because of the reasons that I stated or is it so much simpler than that and I'm making it harder to understand than it should be?

Well we are going to find out. LOL How about injuries? That is something that is unforeseen. How many times do teams cut players early and other teams pick them up? Now you have an injury and you would like to bring back that player you cut early but he is gone to another team. Once you play the last preseason game you know what injuries you have and can set up your roster accordingly.

I was on the Chippa bandwagon hoping we finally had the right coach. I didn't like or agree with him shipping out most of our Core talent. DeJax, Shady, Maclin, In hindsight, his early success could be attributed to Big Red's players. I liked Chippa, was truly disappointed at how things ended. Good Luck Chippa with your new career.

Yeah but also depends on what was INHERITED.Chip inherited an ok team then dismantled it(and why we are now re-tooling AGAIN)

Thats debatable GB. Kelly inherited a team in 2013 that didn't win a playoff game since 2008. He got them to the playoffs in his first year and after they lost he decided HE needed to retool. How long does it take to retool? How many years are we going to give Pederson to retool? Probably three years. This season will be his second year.

Chip dismantled the team before we were finishes re-tooling it,so of course we had no playoffs

11 hours ago, Eaglesoldtimer said:

TD123, or should I say "288"? That's quite an accomplishment, getting that close. I suspect most of the pressure was internal - you might have done the same thing if no one were watching. But that was one time. I'm sure you delivered many times in the clutch for your team,,,,,,,,,,,,,which is honestly more than I can say for Agholor, given countless chances. And yes, I'll bet he largely solves the mental issues, but he STILL cannot run precise patterns, nor gain separation - he never had to learn.

Sure,I always had my team mates,opponents,and a few others watching which never bothered me ONE bit because I was confident in my ability,but I never had ALL action in the house stop to hone in on me. I would've felt some pressure regardless,but to have all quiet was something I wasn't used to.

If Agh doesn't work out this season,then he can't be fixed. PERIOD!

Also always tougher to perform in front of FRIENDS lol

4 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Everything is political now.At least NOW my granddaughter is no longer confused about which bathroom she can use

That 'bathroom' subject is something that I can't discuss on media for fear of being 'politically' incorrect.

I'm SICK of being PC.How about doing what makes sense instead?

1 hour ago, SackDakSunday said:
  3 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

I personally have nothing bad to say about Chip. Here is a list of Eagles Head Coaches and their won/loss records since I have been a fan.
Joe Kuharich 28- 41
Jerry Williams 7- 22
Ed Khayat 8 - 15
Mike McCormack 16 -25
D Vermeil 54 - 47
Marion Campbell 17 - 29
Fred Bruney 1 -0
Buddy Ryan 43 - 35
Rich Kotite 36 - 28
Ray Rhodes 29 - 34
Andy Reid 130 - 93
Chip Kelly 26 - 21
Pat Shurmur 1 - 0
Doug Pederson 7 - 9

What is the common denominator between all these coaches? No Super Bowl wins.
Jeffery Lurie has been the owner for 24 years. No Super Bowl wins.
Howie Rosemen was the GM from 2010 thru 2014. No playoff wins. Then he was promoted to Executive Vice president in 2015 through the present. Still no playoff wins.
There is no way anyone can convince me that the reason why we don't have a Super Bowl win as of yet is due to all the bad head coaches we have had in the past. Bad talent yes! Ask Mr. Lurie if he would give his head coach 24 years to win a Super Bowl. Ask Howie Roseman if he would promote his under study after being in charge of a team that has no playoff wins through 5 years. I think we all know the answer to both those questions. A lot of blame to go around. Not just Kelly or any other previous head coach.

Chip SUCKED though, real talk. He 86ed proven talent to turn the eagles into the bad knees bears, literally EVERYONE he brought in was dealing with a knee injury the year before. He brought in his bullstuff gimmick offense. He crap the bed in the draft and set this team back years. There is a reason he cant find work now. CHIP SUCKED!

What if the Eagles would have done for Chip what they did for Pederson? In 2015 they weren't willing to move from pick #20 to pick number #2 to take Chip's quarterback Marcus Mariota, but in 2016 they were willing to move from pick #13 to pick #8 to pick #2 to get Pederson his quarterback in Wentz. I think we can all agree that Mariota would have definitely helped out the team better than Agholor has thus far. Lets not forget, Chip was fired during his second year of a rebuild. Using that same criteria if Pederson does not get the team to the playoffs this year he should be fired but that is not going to happen. The long and short of the whole thing is that Chip rubbed upper management the wrong way and that is why he is gone. Lets also remember that the same people who hired Chip have hired Pederson. The only difference is that now we also have Douglas in place at GM. If we are good this year, I will be giving him the credit for bringing in better players.

Chip wrestled control away from and proceeded to louse up everything Lurie gave him.Although not Wentz,we had a "supposed" NFL caliber QB in place,no real need to move up(we thought).Then the vikes had to do whatever to get someone in there.You can't ask why we didn;t move up.The cenario changes annually

I personally have nothing bad to say about Chip. Here is a list of Eagles Head Coaches and their won/loss records since I have been a fan.
Joe Kuharich 28- 41
Jerry Williams 7- 22
Ed Khayat 8 - 15
Mike McCormack 16 -25
D Vermeil 54 - 47
Marion Campbell 17 - 29
Fred Bruney 1 -0
Buddy Ryan 43 - 35
Rich Kotite 36 - 28
Ray Rhodes 29 - 34
Andy Reid 130 - 93
Chip Kelly 26 - 21
Pat Shurmur 1 - 0
Doug Pederson 7 - 9

Howie Rosemen was the GM from 2010 thru 2014. No playoff wins. Then he was promoted to Executive Vice president in 2015 through the present. Still no playoff wins.
There is no way anyone can convince me that the reason why we don't have a Super Bowl win as of yet is due to all the bad head coaches we have had in the past. Bad talent yes! Ask Mr. Lurie if he would give his head coach 24 years to win a Super Bowl. Ask Howie Roseman if he would promote his under study after being in charge of a team that has no playoff wins through 5 years. I think we all know the answer to both those questions. A lot of blame to go around. Not just Kelly or any other previous head coach.

Chip SUCKED though, real talk. He 86ed proven talent to turn the eagles into the bad knees bears, literally EVERYONE he brought in was dealing with a knee injury the year before. He brought in his bullstuff gimmick offense. He crap the bed in the draft and set this team back years. There is a reason he cant find work now. CHIP SUCKED!

What if the Eagles would have done for Chip what they did for Pederson? In 2015 they weren't willing to move from pick #20 to pick number #2 to take Chip's quarterback Marcus Mariota, but in 2016 they were willing to move from pick #13 to pick #8 to pick #2 to get Pederson his quarterback in Wentz. I think we can all agree that Mariota would have definitely helped out the team better than Agholor has thus far. Lets not forget, Chip was fired during his second year of a rebuild. Using that same criteria if Pederson does not get the team to the playoffs this year he should be fired but that is not going to happen. The long and short of the whole thing is that Chip rubbed upper management the wrong way and that is why he is gone. Lets also remember that the same people who hired Chip have hired Pederson. The only difference is that now we also have Douglas in place at GM. If we are good this year, I will be giving him the credit for bringing in better players.

This is like asking why we didn't move up for Manning/Favre/Rodgers lol.Like I said scenarios change,can't compare them.Think Wentz will,in time,blow Mariota into the weeds

I was on the Chippa bandwagon hoping we finally had the right coach. I didn't like or agree with him shipping out most of our Core talent. DeJax, Shady, Maclin, In hindsight, his early success could be attributed to Big Red's players. I liked Chippa, was truly disappointed at how things ended. Good Luck Chippa with your new career.

In retrospect trini, what have those three players done since they left the Eagles? Maclin had one good year with the Chiefs and is probably on the chopping block this year due to his salary versus his play. Jackson did terrible in his only playoff game with the Redskins just like when he played in the playoffs for us against the Saints. McCoy missed the first 7 games of the year in Buffalo his first year with them and never won a playoff game while playing with the Eagles in three tries. These three players all had a chance to take the Eagles to the promise land and failed. Maybe Kelly wasn't so dumb after all. I don't mind a little criticism of the man because that comes with the territory but he was in the middle of a rebuild when he was fired. No one really knows how it would have eventually worked out because he never had the chance to finish the job. Lets see if Pederson lasts longer than 3 years. I know that he is a disciple of Andy Reid and Andy was well liked here but I have always credited Jim Johnson for the success of the Eagles during Reid's time here more than Reid himself.

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

Joe Kuharich 28- 41
Jerry Williams 7- 22
Ed Khayat 8 - 15
Mike McCormack 16 -25
D Vermeil 54 - 47
Marion Campbell 17 - 29
Fred Bruney 1 -0
Buddy Ryan 43 - 35
Rich Kotite 36 - 28
Ray Rhodes 29 - 34
Andy Reid 130 - 93
Chip Kelly 26 - 21
Pat Shurmur 1 - 0
Doug Pederson 7 - 9

This is like asking why we didn't move up for Manning/Favre/Rodgers lol.Like I said scenarios change,can't compare them.Think Wentz will,in time,blow Mariota into the weeds

Well Wentz had 16 TD's and 14 int's in his first year. He played in a pro set in college and it translated to the pro set in the NFL. Mariota didn't play in a pro set in college and had to learn it after he got to the NFL. His first year he had 19 TD's and 10 int's. His second year he had 26 TD's and 9 int's. So I guess we know what Wentz has to do this year to stay on pace. LOL

@1wrangler... before DJax got shipped out my issues were his inability to beat press coverage especially against the bigger corners ...I attributed All our loses against the Deadskins to DJax exceptional performances against us ... Maclin just wasn't as consistent as I would like, Shady kept taking everything outside... Didn't think Maclin was worth the money KC signed him for wasn't willing to pay that much for a part time player, TRULY DISPISE saying SHUDDA, CUDDA, ??...what would Wentz record be with DJax, Maclin, and Shady his first year...sorry about that, hate discussions using those terms. My issue with Chippa, in HINDSIGHT,?... the scuttlebutt we read about turned out to be true... I had high hopes for Chippa...who knows what the truth really was?

33 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Most definitely in the beginning. But by this point I had been bowling for 21 years and was very confident in my ability because I rarely rolled any game under 200. Maybe 1 out of 7-10 or so games were in the 170-190 range. So after all of that experience it had become natural to block everything out from all of the repetition 'cause it was mostly muscle memory. But when your used to doing something so long and while you are performing you hear all 32 lanes with the intermittent explosions of balls hitting pins and everyone else concentrating on their next roll and then all of a sudden everything goes quiet like time stopping. It's that very first time you see out of the corner of your eye and hear the buzzing of the multitude of people like there's a spotlight on you that makes it quite unnerving.

1 hour ago, trini said:

In retrospect trini, what have those three players done since they left the Eagles? Maclin had one good year with the Chiefs and is probably on the chopping block this year due to his salary versus his play. Jackson did terrible in his only playoff game with the Redskins just like when he played in the playoffs for us against the Saints. McCoy missed the first 7 games of the year in Buffalo his first year with them and never won a playoff game while playing with the Eagles in three tries. These three players all had a chance to take the Eagles to the promise land and failed. Maybe Kelly wasn't so dumb after all. I don't mind a little criticism of the man because that comes with the territory but he was in the middle of a rebuild when he was fired. No one really knows how it would have eventually worked out because he never had the chance to finish the job. Lets see if Pederson lasts longer than 3 years. I know that he is a disciple of Andy Reid and Andy was well liked here but I have always credited Jim Johnson for the success of the Eagles during Reid's time here more than Reid himself.

LOL well maybe because he ignored the lines for his tenure?,Let the secondary go as well and drafted 2 unusable players? I can't give a failure any credit when it isn't due.Noone can succed with sub par lines and secondary running the only 11 plays that you know

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Most definitely in the beginning. But by this point I had been bowling for 21 years and was very confident in my ability because I rarely rolled any game under 200. Maybe 1 out of 7-10 or so games were in the 170-190 range. So after all of that experience it had become natural to block everything out from all of the repetition 'cause it was mostly muscle memory. But when your used to doing something so long and while you are performing you hear all 32 lanes with the intermittent explosions of balls hitting pins and everyone else concentrating on their next roll and then all of a sudden everything goes quiet like time stopping. It's that very first time you see out of the corner of your eye and hear the buzzing of the multitude of people like there's a spotlight on you that makes it quite unnerving.

LOL yeah,but thats WHY you do it!!!! Everyone has a "first day" and you are only a virgin once as they say ;p>although I never had to deal with silence,I was most nrevous playing music with all my friends sitting in the front lol(but I rocked them anyway HAHA)

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:
  2 hours ago, SackDakSunday said:
  4 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Joe Kuharich 28- 41
Jerry Williams 7- 22
Ed Khayat 8 - 15
Mike McCormack 16 -25
D Vermeil 54 - 47
Marion Campbell 17 - 29
Fred Bruney 1 -0
Buddy Ryan 43 - 35
Rich Kotite 36 - 28
Ray Rhodes 29 - 34
Andy Reid 130 - 93
Chip Kelly 26 - 21
Pat Shurmur 1 - 0
Doug Pederson 7 - 9

Well Wentz had 16 TD's and 14 int's in his first year. He played in a pro set in college and it translated to the pro set in the NFL. Mariota didn't play in a pro set in college and had to learn it after he got to the NFL. His first year he had 19 TD's and 10 int's. His second year he had 26 TD's and 9 int's. So I guess we know what Wentz has to do this year to stay on pace. LOL

Really-Wentz had no receivers to speak of,so how many picks were missed route assignments attributable to the less than stellar receiver corps? AND Mariota stepped into a team that was already re-building.So once again I cannot copare the 2 on the td/pick ration

@1wrangler... before DJax got shipped out my issues were his inability to beat press coverage especially against the bigger corners ...I attributed All our loses against the Deadskins to DJax exceptional performances against us ... Maclin just wasn't as consistent as I would like, Shady kept taking everything outside... Didn't think Maclin was worth the money KC signed him for wasn't willing to pay that much for a part time player, TRULY DISPISE saying SHUDDA, CUDDA, ??...what would Wentz record be with DJax, Maclin, and Shady his first year...sorry about that, hate discussions using those terms. My issue with Chippa, in HINDSIGHT,?... the scuttlebutt we read about turned out to be true... I had high hopes for Chippa...who knows what the truth really was?

Obviously I don't know what Wentz's record would have been with DJax, Maclin and Shady on the team last year. The last year that McCoy played for the Eagles (2014) the Eagles were ranked 9th in the league in rushing with 474 attempts for 1992 yards with a 4.2 yards per carry. Last year without him the Eagles were ranked 11th in rushing with 438 attempts for 1814 yards with a 4.1 yards per carry. Don't really see much difference there. My problem with DJax is playoff games. He never comes through in the clutch. Kelly saw that happen one time and knew he wasn't good enough to get the team where it wanted to go. Jackson played a total of 7 playoff games in his career thus far and has a total of 21 receptions and 2 TD's. Definitely not your guy if you want to win a Super Bowl. I liked Maclin but if you take away his contract year with the Eagles in 2014 when he had 1318 yards receiving he was Jordan Matthews prior to that with his lifetime stats. Good enough to keep but not at the money he wanted. He had one good year with KC 1088 yards and last year 536 yards receiving. Not worth what KC paid him. Apparently Chip Kelly felt the same way as I did.

7 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Really-Wentz had no receivers to speak of,so how many picks were missed route assignments attributable to the less than stellar receiver corps? AND Mariota stepped into a team that was already re-building.So once again I cannot copare the 2 on the td/pick ration

This season Wentz is going to be the burning bush that does not get consumed! But you can bet your last penny there'll still be haters when he makes a few mistakes,just like all of the McNabb haters. Heck,even the GOAT Brady makes mistakes. McNabb only had a fully stocked WR corps for one season,2004. The majority of the other seasons it was him & 36West AND JJ's AWESOME D scheme carrying the burden.

Wrang also take into account that we lost Lane early and Wentz had to do more on his own.Now that the line is more solid,I suspect MUCH better numbers from him(Titans had a better line for Mar)

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:
  3 hours ago, SackDakSunday said:
  5 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Joe Kuharich 28- 41
Jerry Williams 7- 22
Ed Khayat 8 - 15
Mike McCormack 16 -25
D Vermeil 54 - 47
Marion Campbell 17 - 29
Fred Bruney 1 -0
Buddy Ryan 43 - 35
Rich Kotite 36 - 28
Ray Rhodes 29 - 34
Andy Reid 130 - 93
Chip Kelly 26 - 21
Pat Shurmur 1 - 0
Doug Pederson 7 - 9

But you just did compare the two. Wentz was throwing to one of the same receivers this year that Mariota was throwing to last year.

Wrang also take into account that we lost Lane early and Wentz had to do more on his own.Now that the line is more solid,I suspect MUCH better numbers from him(Titans had a better line for Mar)

In Mariota's first year he was sacked 38 times. Last year Wentz was sacked 33 times.

30 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Not to mention the 26 drops out of 604 targets,some that would've gone for TD's and some that would've moved the chains. The majority of them came at crucial points in the game and during situations that could've changed the whole outcome or flow of the game.

2 hours ago, trini said:

LOL well maybe because he ignored the lines for his tenure?,Let the secondary go as well and drafted 2 unusable players? I can't give a failure any credit when it isn't due.Noone can succed with sub par lines and secondary running the only 11 plays that you know

Didn't we ignore the secondary last year?

3 hours ago, SackDakSunday said:
  4 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Joe Kuharich 28- 41
Jerry Williams 7- 22
Ed Khayat 8 - 15
Mike McCormack 16 -25
D Vermeil 54 - 47
Marion Campbell 17 - 29
Fred Bruney 1 -0
Buddy Ryan 43 - 35
Rich Kotite 36 - 28
Ray Rhodes 29 - 34
Andy Reid 130 - 93
Chip Kelly 26 - 21
Pat Shurmur 1 - 0
Doug Pederson 7 - 9

No, Chip was given absolute control of the roster and draft. If Chip wanted Mariota, he should have went and got him. Sometimes trades are not available at No.2. He also wanted Dion Jordan BAD, but Dolphins beat him to the punch (Thank you). Agholor was also Chip. (hey surprise, he sucks.) Chip rubbed upper management the wrong way cause he was given what he wanted and crapped the bed period. P.S. Pederson sucks too. I thought we should have stuck with Sean McDermott, but whatever it is what it is. At least Doug can prepare Wentz for the task at hand. All that aside, I think we have a good core of players. Can we win a SB? not likely. But......It is possible... E A G L E S !

24 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Obviously I don't know what Wentz's record would have been with DJax, Maclin and Shady on the team last year. The last year that McCoy played for the Eagles (2014) the Eagles were ranked 9th in the league in rushing with 474 attempts for 1992 yards with a 4.2 yards per carry. Last year without him the Eagles were ranked 11th in rushing with 438 attempts for 1814 yards with a 4.1 yards per carry. Don't really see much difference there. My problem with DJax is playoff games. He never comes through in the clutch. Kelly saw that happen one time and knew he wasn't good enough to get the team where it wanted to go. Jackson played a total of 7 playoff games in his career thus far and has a total of 21 receptions and 2 TD's. Definitely not your guy if you want to win a Super Bowl. I liked Maclin but if you take away his contract year with the Eagles in 2014 when he had 1318 yards receiving he was Jordan Matthews prior to that with his lifetime stats. Good enough to keep but not at the money he wanted. He had one good year with KC 1088 yards and last year 536 yards receiving. Not worth what KC paid him. Apparently Chip Kelly felt the same way as I did.

Damn wrang,you're good at using your search tools coming up with these stats.

16 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

In Mariota's first year he was sacked 38 times. Last year Wentz was sacked 33 times.

5 times in a year is not really a huge difference lol