Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Jason Peters Adds Final Touch To O-Line

26 posts in this topic

For the first time this spring, the Eagles went left to right with the offensive line they project will be one of the best in the NFL this season: Jason Peters at left tackle, Lane Johnson at right tackle, Jason Kelce at center, Brandon Brooks at right guard, and Allen Barbre/Isaac Seumalo at left guard. Ah, the present looks bright for the offensive line …

View the full article

Good to see Peters back. Not sure whats up with the reports of him wanting more money though really.

Good to see Peters back. Not sure whats up with the reports of him wanting more money though really.

Yeah and Graham's holding out and so forth and so on. I don't believe these reports anymore unless I hear it directly from the player.

4 people like this

No Injuries plz.

1 person likes this

I get that he wants more in guarantee money and he knows next year he will be cut with his cap number. He didnt want to restructure earlier this year so no way to really get him more money spread over more time at his age. He will be a professional which ever way this goes and doubt he will be any kind of distraction. Last thing we need is to give in and him get hurt.  

12 minutes ago, 08GSXR said:

What reports? The reports earlier in the year were that Howie wanted him to take a pay cut. Funnily enough he wasn't really interested in that. Now he's saying he wants a restructured deal which I think he's well within his rights to want. Because ultimately if the team still want to reduce the cap hit this year and next then restructuring Peters is a way of doing that. 

3 people like this

36 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What reports? The reports earlier in the year were that Howie wanted him to take a pay cut. Funnily enough he wasn't really interested in that. Now he's saying he wants a restructured deal which I think he's well within his rights to want. Because ultimately if the team still want to reduce the cap hit this year and next then restructuring Peters is a way of doing that. 

UK I gotcha and that makes sense. Its all about how its phrased. I was a little surprised they asked him to take the pay cut, saying restructure from the get go might have happened already and not needing him to bring it into camp.

3 minutes ago, 08GSXR said:

UK I gotcha and that makes sense. Its all about how its phrased. I was a little surprised they asked him to take the pay cut, saying restructure from the get go might have happened already and not needing him to bring it into camp.

Absolutely and the thing is, all we can do is speculate on what Howie asked for etc. But based on Peters saying he wants to restructure you'd have to assume that he was being asked to take a pay cut which really is ridiculous. But what 35 year old guy coming to the end of his career is just going to take a pay cut out of the goodness of his heart? In fact scratch that... How many people regardless of age would? Not many I'm sure. 

4 people like this

Roseman and management seem committed to Peters NOT accepting a pay cut, partly out of respect, although his HOF skills have clearly eroded. I hope Peters will acknowledge his aging skills, and at least meet the team halfway.

New report is that JP wants to work out a new deal so he can stay and Eagle and retire.....JP is looking for more guaranteed money since as of now none of his money is guaranteed to him.....So could end up being a way that it works out for both sides if we want to get something done with him he gets more money up front in turns helps our cap situation or the Eagles could play out this season move on from JP next year  

1 person likes this

55 minutes ago, Eaglesoldtimer said:

Roseman and management seem committed to Peters NOT accepting a pay cut, partly out of respect, although his HOF skills have clearly eroded. I hope Peters will acknowledge his aging skills, and at least meet the team halfway.

I don't know. You have Stout saying Peters is coming off his best season(since he's been Oline coach). And I tend to want to agree. Or at least it's arguable. He finished strong last season. Getting out of the Chip go go go mode really benefited him. And Pedey has shown a very good knack at understanding each individual and not burning him out in practice. That's one thing you don't hear enough about our Head Coach. He's good with people. Players want to play for him.

5 people like this

1 hour ago, Eaglesoldtimer said:

I don't know. You have Stout saying Peters is coming off his best season. And I tend to want to agree. Or at least it's arguable. He finished strong last season. Getting out of the Chip go go go mode really benefited him. And Pedey has shown a very good knack at understanding each individual and not burning him out in practice. That's one thing you don't hear enough about our Head Coach. He's good with people. Players want to play for him.

Better guys now next to him also,so maybe he wont be double teamed all game.With modern science/medicine what used to be a "running out of gas" player at his age,isn't as much of a concern uless you really see a fall off on the field

4 people like this

My only issue with this article is it implies we had practice with the starting Oline with Barbre being a part of that. He just isn't good enough. Not really happy if all that depth along the Oline still lands Barbre with a starting job. Wis,Seamalu or has there been a Warmack sighting.

4 people like this

My only issue with this article is it implies we had practice with the starting Oline with Barbre being a part of that. He just isn't good enough. Not really happy if all that depth along the Oline still lands Barbre with a starting job. Wis,Seamalu or has there been a Warmack sighting.

The only thing I can think of is maybe Warmack has to learn the system. I expect him or Seamalu to be the starter by game 1

3 people like this

JP still has 2 years on his contract, and he probably has 2 more good years in him.. You can see he is slowing down some, the holding penalties are a little more frequent, etc. Could be a pro bowler his last 2 years too, but I don't see much after that. Really smart guy, when he retires he would make a great O line coach.

3 people like this

11 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Better guys now next to him also,so maybe he wont be double teamed all game.With modern science/medicine what used to be a "running out of gas" player at his age,isn't as much of a concern unless you really see a fall off on the field

I can already see Seumalo taking that LG starting spot with somewhat ease in TC. With all of the upgrades at the skill positions on the O,if they can start burning D's down the field more often,that in turn will help out the OL by making D's think twice about loading the box & blitzing.

3 people like this

11 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Barbre did take the better part of the reps at LG with the 1st team in OTA's,until the first day of mini-camp today. Seumalo got the most of the LG starts on Tue. and I see him taking that starting spot pretty handily from what we saw out of him last season.

4 people like this

Very encouraging signs from all of this news so far from OTA's & the first day of mini-camp. I'm happy,but not content. I want to see ALL of these big plays on opening day @ Washington & see the Eagles totally WRECK the skins!!! YOU LIKE THAT COUSINS!!!  I'm also hoping to see MUCH improvement in the Away games and 3rd Down/RZ-TD percentage efficiency.

3 people like this

Note to Marcus Smith: You are in trouble young man. If the Eagles keep 6 DE's you have a shot to make the team, but they are keeping 5 and Means is a demon on Special Teams. So, Who are you going to beat out? Graham, Barnett, Curry or Long? You are on the bubble and missing Vol. OTA's was not the way to go. Eagles will save 1.5 mil against the cap by letting you walk and you can bet that is the way they are thinking right now. Not sure who was giving you advice, but it was bad.....

3 people like this

7 minutes ago, stine said:

Note to Marcus Smith: You are in trouble young man. If the Eagles keep 6 DE's you have a shot to make the team, but they are keeping 5 and Means is a demon on Special Teams. So, Who are you going to beat out? Graham, Barnett, Curry or Long? You are on the bubble and missing Vol. OTA's was not the way to go. Eagles will save 1.5 mil against the cap by letting you walk and you can bet that is the way they are thinking right now. Not sure who was giving you advice, but it was bad.....

You know who I think maybe gave him that advice? The Eagles! Stay away from OTAs we are going a different route and you aren't a part of that. Stay away because we don't want you to risk injury and we then have to keep him until we can waive him. Plus why would we want him taking away snaps from the rookies and new guys if actually he's not a part of the future. 

2 people like this

Good point there UK,  But I believe the Eagles can cut him anytime they want and, if so, why not cut him now and get the cap space and move forward?   If it was up to me he would've been gone yesterday.  His bubble's already been broken in my book.  Just not to show up, even if OTAs are voluntary, is a good sign his and/ or his agent's head aren't screwed on tightly.  Unlike JP who has earned many laurels over the years and at his age needs to rest his body for the gruelling season ahead.  Pull the plug, grab the cap, move on.

4 people like this

If the Eagles are to make the play-offs, this guy has to have a great year....

http://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/14/carson-wentz-says-things-have-slowed-down-for-him/

No doubt about it.

Let's "git 'er done" Waste of a roster spot

3 people like this

5 hours ago, EaglesNJ69 said:

Good point there UK,  But I believe the Eagles can cut him anytime they want and, if so, why not cut him now and get the cap space and move forward?   If it was up to me he would've been gone yesterday.  His bubble's already been broken in my book.  Just not to show up, even if OTAs are voluntary, is a good sign his and/ or his agent's head aren't screwed on tightly.  Unlike JP who has earned many laurels over the years and at his age needs to rest his body for the gruelling season ahead.  Pull the plug, grab the cap, move on.

Couldn't agree more with you! And I'm not sure why we wouldn't have cut him rather than tell him to stay away. I guess maybe there was a small hope we could swing a trade that maybe involved him? But I appreciate that is a long shot because he's really got zero value in the league. 

1 person likes this

I think he wants to be cut. He probably knows he has no shot in this system and there are already 5 DE's on the roster better than him. His best shot to make it in the NFL is to go to a team that runs a 3-4, but he showed nothing in that system either so his trade value is nil. I have no idea why he hasn't been cut yet.

3 people like this