DaveSpadaro

[News] What I Think I Know About The Eagles

175 posts in this topic

Here's what we learned in the spring of 2017 with an Eagles team that set out its blueprint following a 7-9 2016 season and then did everything possible to stick to it. It’s hard to believe, of course, that the Eagles had wide receiver Alshon Jeffery or running back LeGarrette Blount in that blueprint, but sometimes you’ve just gotta be flexible, right? ...

View the full article

Pump needs to bulk up. He will get killed if he sees the field this year.

I think Pumphrey will get a chance to be a return man.Maybe get a screen pass or two.How much he plays will depend on the other backs health. Great to have the depth we have at so many positions.

2 people like this

Good health going into Training Camp for the most part is great news. Pumphrey has been successful at this size throughout his playing career. This kid broke all Marshall Faulk's records in college...this kid is a player. I can't wait for the pads to come on, the truth will display itself when the hitting begins.

3 people like this

I've said this before, as a resident San Diegan, we Eagles fans are going to be very surprised and pleased with Pumphrey! We've seen him for four years here - he didn't just break all of Faulk's records, but did so convincingly and with great flair.

4 people like this

Don't forget another great thing about Pumphrey - the cowpies really wanted him!

2 people like this

Pump needs to bulk up. He will get killed if he sees the field this year.

If you watched him in college he never took a direct hit

2 people like this

Eagles 53-man roster projection after spring practices    By Jimmy Kempski

Quarterback (3)Carson Wentz, Nick Foles, Matt McGloin                                                                                                                                                 Running back (4): LeGarrette Blount, Darren Sproles, Donnel Pumphrey, Wendell Smallwood                                                                                         Wide receiver (5): Alshon Jeffery, Torrey Smith, Jordan Matthews, Nelson Agholor, Mack Hollins                                                                                     Tight end (3): Zach Ertz, Brent Celek, Trey Burton                                                                                                                                                                OL (10): Jason Peters, Isaac Seumalo, Jason Kelce, Brandon Brooks, Lane Johnson, Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Allen Barbre, Stefen Wisniewski, Chance Warmack, Dillon Gordon.                                                                                                                                                                                                        DL (10): Brandon Graham, Fletcher Cox, Timmy Jernigan, Derek Barnett, Vinny Curry, Chris Long, Steven Means, Elijah Qualls, Destiny Vaeao, Gabe Wright. Beau Allen will provide some relief when he is able to return from his pectoral injury, but for now, we'll project him to land on the PUP list. With some injuries at DT, newcomer Gabe Wright has gotten quite a few reps, at times with the first-team defense.

The Marcus Smith era in Philly is over.                                                                                                                                                                               

LB (6): Jordan Hicks, Nigel Bradham, Mychal Kendricks, Joe Walker, Nathan Gerry, Kamu Grugier-Hill                                                                          CB (5):  Jalen Mills, Patrick Robinson, Rasul Douglas, Ron Brooks, Aaron Grymes                                                                                                    Safety (4): Malcolm Jenkins, Rodney McLeod, Terrence Brooks, Chris Maragos                                                                                                          ST's (3): Caleb Sturgis, Donnie Jones, Jon Dorenbos   

Layup.

PUP list: Beau Allen, Sidney Jones.

Practice squad: RB Corey Clement, WR Shelton Gibson, WR Marcus Johnson, WR Greg Ward, TE Anthony Denham, C Tyler Orlosky, DE Alex McCalister, DT Winston Craig, LB Don Cherry, CB C.J. Smith

This looks like a close resemblance to what I see,with the exception of-QB loses 1 & CB gains 1. No Matt Mcgloin & C.J.Smith makes CB for a total of 6. If Sidney Jones is healthy enough to start sometime this season then whichever player is least needed will go to the PS at whatever time of the season that Jones can get on the field for live action. The player that goes to the PS will either be the one making the least contribution or if there's a 'flip a coin' Tie,then it'll be the player they think that is least likely to get stolen by another team.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-53-man-roster-projection-after-spring-practices/

2 people like this

:thumbsdown: Sorry,I have NO CLUE what happened to my spacing. It was fine on preview.

Good List TD. I doubt the Eagles keep 3 QB's as you mentioned may happen. That leaves the offense with 24 and defense with 26... I am thinking Kendricks may be traded before the opener. With all of the emphasis on passing now, Nickel and Dime packages will be used allot, forcing most teams to keep more DB's...Less Linebackers...

1 person likes this

Good job, TD123 and stine! Barring injuries, the list already seems fairly set. Not sure about Agholor - everyone seems to have selective amnesia!

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, stine said:

Good List TD. I doubt the Eagles keep 3 QB's as you mentioned may happen. That leaves the offense with 24 and defense with 26... I am thinking Kendricks may be traded before the opener. With all of the emphasis on passing now, Nickel and Dime packages will be used allot, forcing most teams to keep more DB's...Less Linebackers...

I stole it! :D But if I took the time that's what mine would look like as of now-B4 preseason. With the exceptions that I listed about swapping a QB out for a DB. I too stine have been thinking about the possibility of Kendricks walking after reading about how well Nate Gerry is doing. He's up to 230 now,still carrying it very well & playing smart. I believe that once he gets more experience that he could possibly remain on the field as a DB (like I mentioned shortly after the Draft) in Nickel or Dime,especially if the opponent's O is running No-Huddle. He should be pretty good matched up on a TE. Thank you for replying!  •Everyone,feel free to reply,I'm curious as to what the rest of my Eagle buds are thinking. Iron sharpens copper,or something like that,LOL. ☺

2 people like this

The only way that I could imagine them keeping 3 QB's would be if this was a time of the team's need to have a 2-3 year developmental QB in the wings. Or if McGloin was more impressive,which from I've read he got picked off pretty often. And that's without guys in his face.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, EaglesTD123 said:

This looks like a close resemblance to what I see,with the exception of-QB loses 1 & CB gains 1. No Matt Mcgloin & C.J.Smith makes CB for a total of 6. If Sidney Jones is healthy enough to start sometime this season then whichever player is least needed will go to the PS at whatever time of the season that Jones can get on the field for live action. The player that goes to the PS will either be the one making the least contribution or if there's a 'flip a coin' Tie,then it'll be the player they think that is least likely to get stolen by another team.

I am in 100% agreement with you and Stine (Kendricks) though I don't think we'll see Jones this year. Everything else is exactly as I see the roster shaking out. And I gotta say, i like it!

The only possible wrench in the gears is another added piece of depth at LB. Sounds like Wright is doing decently but I don't know if he's a lock.

2 people like this

The only way that I could imagine them keeping 3 QB's would be if this was a time of the team's need to have a 2-3 year developmental QB in the wings. Or if McGloin was more impressive,which from I've read he got picked off pretty often. And that's without guys in his face.

Agreed. Everyone knows if you're down to your 3rd QB the season is pretty much over. Sign a developmental QB to the PS.

1 person likes this

They may also drop McGloin in efforts to keep Gibson off the PS but given all reports that'd be a big IF.

3 people like this

Also want to say that I'm really intrigued with Hollins. Watching him develop in the next couple years is going to be interesting. As opposed to an immediate starter (Barnett) I think Hollins fits the mold in what we all desire when we say we want to develop in-house talent.

edit - same with Gerry.

3 people like this

17 minutes ago, Swoopin' said:

The only possible wrench in the gears is another added piece of depth at LB.

If Kendricks were to get traded-from what players we have here-then maybe add Najee Goode or Don Cherry who played pretty well in preseason last year. Is that what you were thinking?

14 minutes ago, Swoopin' said:

They may also drop McGloin in efforts to keep Gibson off the PS but given all reports that'd be a big IF.

I was still mulling over the Roster B4 I read your quote and thought that if Gibson makes strides in catching the ball that maybe they keep 6 WR's for insurance just in case Agh goes haywire when the bullets start flying. I hope not 'cause I want our 2014 1st round pick to repay the team for the investment they made for him. And us fans. I really don't wanna see Gibson relegated to the PS and then have him turn into a stud for another team. You never know what's gonna happen with J.Matt's knee tendonitis either. That is a ? since it's still plaguing him from last season. ☹

2 people like this

Wait, why don't i see Goode already listed anywhere? Now i'm confused.

and to answer your question, i'm not smart enough to plan that one out. lol  I was thinking though that we'd bring someone else in from another team for that added depth. I'm not 100% sure we can get rid of Kendricks without some quality plan B.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

I was still mulling over the Roster B4 I read your quote and thought that if Gibson makes strides in catching the ball that maybe they keep 6 WR's for insurance just in case Agh goes haywire when the bullets start flying. I hope not 'cause I want our 2014 1st round pick to repay the team for the investment they made for him. And us fans. I really don't wanna see Gibson relegated to the PS and then have him turn into a stud for another team. You never know what's gonna happen with J.Matt's knee tendonitis either. That is a ? since it's still plaguing him from last season. ☹

A lot of content in this post!

Yes, that's why i think they may keep Gibson on, as to not lose him off the PS and watch him turn into something. However, as such a late round pick, sometimes those picks are just a lottery ticket. Too early to say i suppose. With regard to his relation to Agholor and JMatt.. man that's getting interesting. I've said before that i'm a huge JMatt fan so i won't prattle on about that, but Agholor... man things are possibly aligning to make him a good slot guy. And i love your choice in words about the bullets flying. lol  That's just as big of a ? as your last question about JMatt's knee. There is more going on there than we know, IMO.

1 person likes this

I'm very jealous of the 'Eagle Insiders' who are able to see what's going on in the nest and what may develop based on their observations. If it were possible I'd live there and be The Water boy! :excited:

1 person likes this

39 minutes ago, Swoopin' said:

Also want to say that I'm really intrigued with Hollins. Watching him develop in the next couple years is going to be interesting. As opposed to an immediate starter (Barnett) I think Hollins fits the mold in what we all desire when we say we want to develop in-house talent.

edit - same with Gerry.

How did you edit without the post being stamped as Edited?  You're under cover,aren't you? LOL

It gives me the option to put a reason for my edit but i usually leave it out. I think sometimes it gets marked as edited if it happens after a prolonged period of time, but i made a ninja edit and got back to it within a couple minutes.

So what am i missing, why don't i see Najee Goode listed anywhere on the potential roster?

So that's it,leave the 'Edit Reason' blank. Tanks!

My guess would be that the 6 LB's (the usual amount) are better and younger than Goode and just as good on ST's.