DaveSpadaro

[News] What I Think I Know About The Eagles

175 posts in this topic

I guess i can see that. Odd that he's not even mentioned on the PS list though. Omitted entirely just seems strange. Didn't he play a fair amount for us last year?

BTW that listed practice squad is gonna get poached pretty hard i think. Which says alot about our starting team but sucks to see some of them go.

Practice squad: RB Corey Clement, WR Shelton Gibson, WR Marcus Johnson, WR Greg Ward, TE Anthony Denham, C Tyler Orlosky, DE Alex McCalister, DT Winston Craig, LB Don Cherry, CB C.J. Smith

That's really not a terrible list of players for the most part. Doesn't even mention Turner or Treggs.

1 person likes this

Goode has been on & off the team a few times. With this being what would be his 6th season in the league,he's not a typical choice for the PS. Either he makes the 53 or nothing when healthy.

man it's about to be so boring for the next couple months. :(

i'm now to the point of imagining our practice squad playing against other practice squads and imagining how we line up in the NFPSL..

1 person likes this

My post mini-camp hopes for this team are through the roof... First I want to quantify WHY I am so psyched... If we reflect back onto the 2016 regular season and the statistics therein, we see that there is very real correlation in points scored v points allowed, and the amount of wins a team has... THIS IS AN OBVIOUS OVER-SIMPLIFICATION OF CAUSE AND EFFECT...So where were the Eagles last year? Having scored an average of 22.9 ppg they ranked #16 overall in points scored, and having allowed 20.7 ppg they ranked #12 overall in points allowed... SO let's just ask a simple question, WILL this years team score more than 3 points more on average than last year, AND will this years team allow 3 points less on average? Gleaning everything you can from players in shorts and shirts, there is reason to think that both are very possible... SO then if that occurs and we transpose a 3 point difference on both sides of the ball(from last years league stats), that would give the Eagles a 25.9 ppg and rank as the #8 team in points scored, while also allowing 17.7 ppg would rank as the #2 team in points allowed... THAT would definitely get them into the playoffs and make them a SB contender.

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, mateagle2 said:

My post mini-camp hopes for this team are through the roof... First I want to quantify WHY I am so psyched... If we reflect back onto the 2016 regular season and the statistics therein, we see that there is very real correlation in points scored v points allowed, and the amount of wins a team has... THIS IS AN OBVIOUS OVER-SIMPLIFICATION OF CAUSE AND EFFECT...So where were the Eagles last year? Having scored an average of 22.9 ppg they ranked #16 overall in points scored, and having allowed 20.7 ppg they ranked #12 overall in points allowed... SO let's just ask a simple question, WILL this years team score more than 3 points more on average than last year, AND will this years team allow 3 points less on average? Gleaning everything you can from players in shorts and shirts, there is reason to think that both are very possible... SO then if that occurs and we transpose a 3 point difference on both sides of the ball(from last years league stats), that would give the Eagles a 25.9 ppg and rank as the #8 team in points scored, while also allowing 17.7 ppg would rank as the #2 team in points allowed... THAT would definitely get them into the playoffs and make them a SB contender.

So then HOW MUCH BETTER does the Eagles defense need to be to get the defense ppg down 3 points last year (that would be 48 points less scored against the birds), it might look like this... Week 5 against the Lions, just dont fumble in FG range, so this is an offense improvement that immediately has benefit to the defense(+3pts)...Week 6 against Washington, play up to the competition and only allow 24 instead of 27(+3pts)...Week 8 in Dallas, win the OT session(+6pts)... Week 9 against the NYG, get real pressure on Eli who sucks when gets hit alot, this turns 4TDs into 2TD and 2FG (+8pts)...Week 11 Sea play up to competition and hold them to 22 instead of 26 (I'm split between 23&21) (+4pts)...Week 12 Packers, show up and get the job against a great QB with NO WRs to throw to drop this from 27 down to 20 against a wounded team (+7pts)... Week 13 with Cincinnati dont play down to the 4-7-1 teams ability, so drop the 32 down to 21(+11pts)... Week 14 against Washington, again they must play up to the competition and drop that 27 down to 24 (+3pts)... Finally week 15 against the Ravens if they just play up to the competition they can bring that 27 down to 24 (+3pts)................. SO I ask, is there reason to be excited for this defense if they can do JUST THAT MUCH by being more consistant?... Just that much last year would have made them the #2 scoring defense.

2 people like this

I LOVE YOUR OPTIMISM Mateagle! But it is never as easy as that. To think both our offense and defense will improve by a FG each is not realistic...

5 minutes ago, stine said:

I LOVE YOUR OPTIMISM Mateagle! But it is never as easy as that. To think both our offense and defense will improve by a FG each is not realistic...

I'm not setting my expectations that LOW for this team... With clearly improved talent and depth, combined with the mainstay players being in the second year of this system, there is NO REASON not to expect a 3 point improvement on both sides of the ball... Let's just say that if it doesn't there will be heat on this coaching staff... how many old guys are gonna die without seeing a SB trophy... Im 52 and I cant say that I will necessarily live another 10 years, so YEA my expectations are very high... These players MUST know the desperation of the fan base.

2 people like this

lol, I am having my 60th BD in August, so I know the frustration as much as anyone here.
I can expect to see a slight improvement on offense, but most likely it will be around 1-2 points. Remember the defenses we will face this year. Giants and Dallas twice, Denver, KC, Seattle, Oakland and Arizona. Those are mighty good defenses, so to equal points from last year would be an achievement. I do believe defensively we will improve though. Our pass rush will be much better, which should take off the heat for our CB's. LB's are solid as long as we stay healthy. D-Line is strong and deep and our safeties are solid.

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, stine said:

lol, I am having my 60th BD in August, so I know the frustration as much as anyone here.
I can expect to see a slight improvement on offense, but most likely it will be around 1-2 points. Remember the defenses we will face this year. Giants and Dallas twice, Denver, KC, Seattle, Oakland and Arizona. Those are mighty good defenses, so to equal points from last year would be an achievement. I do believe defensively we will improve though. Our pass rush will be much better, which should take off the heat for our CB's. LB's are solid as long as we stay healthy. D-Line is strong and deep and our safeties are solid.

I dont really see much improvement of the Giants defense, other than adding a 2nd round DT in the draft... the only FA moves they really made were to add geno smith and Brandon Marshal, which will sure give them more depth at WR, but balance that with Victor Cruz and Rashad Jennings being gone... I do like their 1st round pick of TE Ingram though.....................That Dallas secondary really scares me though because they added Nolan Carrol... cough cough...meanwhile they are showing no ability to stop a speed guy on the outside as Switzer is making them all look bad.

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, stine said:

Moreover with Dallas, they already didnt know what to do with Darren Sproles on the field, and now they will have 2 Darren Sproles to deal with

Welp, we are facing 10 games against top 16 opponents yards per game, we are facing 8 teams with top16 points allowed per game. This does not include Carolina, which lost their best LB for most of the season. You ccan bet they are gonna be better. Say what you want about Dallas, but their DC gets them ready to play. They did not have allot of name players last year either.... All I am saying is it may look great on paper, but it is not realistic in actuality. Remember ST's also play a role. How many of the points were scored on ST's. It is always a question mark to score as many as the previous year....

A couple of more points on O and a couple fewer on D can make the difference between 7-9 and 10-6. I don't see much of a separation in the NFCE

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, stine said:

Moreover with Dallas, they already didnt know what to do with Darren Sproles on the field, and now they will have 2 Darren Sproles to deal with

Hey Eagle, you going to the KC game in Sept?

3 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

I hadnt thought of it, however if I had company, I would go

8 minutes ago, stine said:

Welp, we are facing 10 games against top 16 opponents yards per game, we are facing 8 teams with top16 points allowed per game. This does not include Carolina, which lost their best LB for most of the season. You ccan bet they are gonna be better. Say what you want about Dallas, but their DC gets them ready to play. They did not have allot of name players last year either.... All I am saying is it may look great on paper, but it is not realistic in actuality. Remember ST's also play a role. How many of the points were scored on ST's. It is always a question mark to score as many as the previous year....

We are also playing 8 games against teams ranked #17 or lower (bottom half of the league) in scoring defense last year... 1 against #32 SF, 1 against #29 Chargers, 1 against #26 Carolina, 1 against #24 Chicago, 1 against #23 LA Rams, 1 against #20 Oakland, and 2 against #19 Washington

6 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

My son and I go to 1 game every year. This year it's KC. We haven't got tickets yet so give it some thought.

3 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

My son and I go to 1 game every year. This year it's KC. We haven't got tickets yet so give it some thought.

What price range do you look for... they start at 75 bucks as of right now

man it's about to be so boring for the next couple months. :(

i'm now to the point of imagining our practice squad playing against other practice squads and imagining how we line up in the NFPSL..

LOL. I was so bored last night that I actually watched the Congressional baseball game. Now that is bored!

2 people like this

25 minutes ago, mateagle2 said:
  29 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

We have a crew going to the Denver game this year ASG15, A few oldtime EMB members go with me along with Alumni5 I think.... We have breakfast sandwiches, Ribs, burgers, danishes, beer, wine and other refreshments. We also have a 42" Flat screen TV and a trailor with a place for women to do their business so they do not have to deal with the Port a potties. WE have a blast and all are invited, Just let me know and I will message you with the details.

1 person likes this

10 wins this year. Anything less than 9 I will be dissapointed. The schedule is really in their favor. Its 2017, not 2016. Plenty of little things that can make a difference... just like with Dallas last year and their bs inflated record.

2 people like this

59 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

What price range do you look for... they start at 75 bucks as of right now

In KC you can get some pretty good seats for around $200. We haven't really looked too hard yet. We did find out a couple of years ago at a PS game you don't want to get seats lower than row 20 in the lower deck. You cant see anything

59 minutes ago, ASG15 said:
  1 hour ago, mateagle2 said:
  1 hour ago, ASG15 said:

We have a crew going to the Denver game this year ASG15, A few oldtime EMB members go with me along with Alumni5 I think.... We have breakfast sandwiches, Ribs, burgers, danishes, beer, wine and other refreshments. We also have a 42" Flat screen TV and a trailor with a place for women to do their business so they do not have to deal with the Port a potties. WE have a blast and all are invited, Just let me know and I will message you with the details.

Thanks Stine we'll keep that one in mind.

10 wins this year. Anything less than 9 I will be dissapointed. The schedule is really in their favor. Its 2017, not 2016. Plenty of little things that can make a difference... just like with Dallas last year and their bs inflated record.

Don't you think we should play a few PS games first? I mean anything can happen. Injuries to a couple key players would really hurt us. Not wishing bad luck, but just being realistic. To me, allot depends on Wentz's growth. If he takes a big step forward then I can see a good season. Sophomore Jinx and 8-8 may be an achievement.

43 minutes ago, stine said:
  1 hour ago, ASG15 said:
  1 hour ago, mateagle2 said:
  1 hour ago, ASG15 said:

Thanks Stine we'll keep that one in mind.

Of course, if you live near KC, I can see you wanting to go there. We are having CETS from Texas coming, Sarge who used to live in GA but now is in NY will be there, CS5ALUMNI said he wants to go. Not sure if any of you guys ever saw EROCK, but he will also be there. I may even get Brizer to show up...

1 person likes this

Stine, Obviously injuries come into play... that changes everything, figured that was obvious???? As for Wentz, what sophomore jinx? He wasn't all that great last year to where a "jinx" comes into play. He had no help from the WRs like he should have this year... the OL is deeper and more experienced. Dak should be the one worried about a sophomore jinx, everything that could right last year for him did... thats not very common. Wentz did fair with no help. Not sure there is anything that could be jinxed other than injury? That said, with the schedule I would be dissapointed if they win less than 9 games.

3 people like this