DaveSpadaro

[News] What I Think I Know About The Eagles

On 6/16/2017 at 2:48 PM, joemas6 said:

And... I think we all can agree... we don't need to see preseason????? The last few years I hope confirmed the play and record in August means pretty much squat! Chip Kelly and Jim Schwartz can attest!

Can't agree. Record in the Preseason doesn't mean much. And you can't win the preseason. But we need to see the talent assembled actually playing. Sure it might be very simplistic defenses and play calling. But we need to see many of these players show they can at least thrive in that watered down version of the NFL game. I believe how the preseason plays out determines what trades we need to make. Obviously injury plays into this also(just being realistic). 

I also believe this year getting off to a quick start is crucial. Two divisional games in the first 3 weeks means we need to hit the season in quality form to have a chance at much. Winning those doesn't get you to the postseason but losing both nearly buries you. So preseason is crucial for honing those skills and adding to chemistry.

Very key players to determine things for the 53 are Joe Walker and Aaron Grymes. These two guys either step up and show they can play ball or.....we need to trade for a LB and CB.

DOubt there are anyone else any better left out there

On 6/16/2017 at 7:06 PM, mjkline1958 said:

6b weeks till the pads go on, don't get your IR, final 53 or PS lists finalized just yet. Nice to have so many tough decisions tho.

What's up MJK? Hope your rehab is going as well as can be expected! That '53' is by no means a finalized product. At best it's a rougher than rough Rough Draft lol. The article was and is "What I Think I Know About The Eagles",and at this current point of 'The ABSOLUTE MOST BORING time of the Foosball Offseason' this is a rocky list based on what we know from OTA's & mini. I'm not afraid to lay down money (I have a nickel,lol) that at least 5-10 players/things on that list will change by the 3rd PS game. Sure am glad I'm not the one making the 'Bubble Keep/Cut' decisions.                                                            FIVE WEEKS TILL TRAINING CAMP! Let the countdown begin. :drool:

On 6/17/2017 at 9:47 AM, GreenbleedinFL said:

Hmm I just don't see 3 WR's on the PS.I know it's the PS but really we need to give another position a shot,so you are writing off Brandon Marshall

Well,Byron Marshall could take the place of C.J. Smith. I didn't clarify and should have that the P.Squad wasn't my centerpiece of the post,just part of the article that came along for the ride. I would like to see maybe a QB on there,as well as some OL & DL.  There are NO WORDS to describe how eager I am to see these guys on the field so I have a better idea of who improved where and to watch it all come together for us to dismantle the skins!

The tough call is probably on Shelton Gibson. We need the speed infusion bad. Or at least the option/threat. Tough to put all those eggs in just Torrey Smith's basket. Obviously have to see how Hollins can run at this level. But I think Gibson could be the case of there are more qualified guys to keep but he brings that missing trait that no one else can provide. Basically exactly why he was drafted.

Going to be fascinating to see Wentz throw down the field more. It was ridiculously dink and dunk last season. How much will he thrive with this? His arm was worn out last season. Let's see how it holds up having to actually throw deep more often. We should learn a bunch about our franchise signal caller this season.

26 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The tough call is probably on Shelton Gibson. We need the speed infusion bad. Or at least the option/threat. Tough to put all those eggs in just Torrey Smith's basket. Obviously have to see how Hollins can run at this level. But I think Gibson could be the case of there are more qualified guys to keep but he brings that missing trait that no one else can provide. Basically exactly why he was drafted.

From what I heard, he's been having trouble catching balls.  Hope he improves in TC since as you say we need the speed. But,  what good is a WR with speed that can;t catch?  I'd rather have the slower receiver who catches the ball like I've heard Hollins has done.  

26 minutes ago, EaglesNJ69 said:

From what I heard, he's been having trouble catching balls.  Hope he improves in TC since as you say we need the speed. But,  what good is a WR with speed that can;t catch?  I'd rather have the slower receiver who catches the ball like I've heard Hollins has done.  

Understood! And we knew he was a speed guy that needed work catching passes when drafted. Coaching staff has to earn their keep some here. I never expected him to become soft hands Larry Fitzgerald overnight. BUT it's an element the offense MUST have. You have to stretch the field to open other things up. It doesn't have to become our main weapon but S have to at least think about going backwards. Realistic Forecast: they probably stash him as injured. Can he be a factor in 2017? 

15 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Very key players to determine things for the 53 are Joe Walker and Aaron Grymes. These two guys either step up and show they can play ball or.....we need to trade for a LB and CB.

I think you might enjoy this: 

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Lawlor-Four-Role-Players-To-Watch-In-2017-/63cf9710-181f-4817-bb3c-2455f4e46744

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Understood! And we knew he was a speed guy that needed work catching passes when drafted. Coaching staff has to earn their keep some here. I never expected him to become soft hands Larry Fitzgerald overnight. BUT it's an element the offense MUST have. You have to stretch the field to open other things up. It doesn't have to become our main weapon but S have to at least think about going backwards. Realistic Forecast: they probably stash him as injured. Can he be a factor in 2017? 

He very likely could be!!  Let's see how TC and PS games play out.  Some do better against real competition than in practice.  Hopefully, injuries don't decide if he plays during the season!!

We still have treggs also

Going to be fascinating to see Wentz throw down the field more. It was ridiculously dink and dunk last season. How much will he thrive with this? His arm was worn out last season. Let's see how it holds up having to actually throw deep more often. We should learn a bunch about our franchise signal caller this season.

Long pass plays(complete or not) means a tad more 'rest time" between plays lol,and the players can walk back to the huddle slower if he says "take 20(seconds lol) Long passes involved a few more dfferent muscles,so a nice mix of both would be beneficial.I'm just pleased we now have the THREAT in place cause D's really iggy'd our passing game last year(with good reason).Now we people they actually have to cover

5 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

And Turner did last year.Not much word on him now because he gets little playing time in

5 hours ago, EaglesNJ69 said:

hope we can stash him,believe he will be a very good receiver down the road

23 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

A FEW GOOD MEN - The men's thesaurus for women on Father's day'
Men don't always say what they mean ladies, please allow me to translate for your future benefit:
1. When a man says "IT WOULD TAKE TOO LONG TO EXPLAIN" He means: I have no idea how it works"
2.When a man says "THAT'S INTERESTING DEAR." , He means: Are you still talking?"
3. When a man says: "IT'S A GUY THING" He means "There is no rational thought pattern connected with this, and you have no chance at all of making it logical"
4. When a man says "UH HUH, SURE HONEY," , or "YES DEAR" He means: Absolutely nothing - It's a conditioned response.
5. When a man says "YOU LOOK TERRIFIC" He means: Oh please don't try on one more outfit, we're late and I'm starving."
6. When a man says, "THAT"S NOT WHAT I MEANT." He means: "If something I said can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
7. If your husband says, "Honey, WHAT COLOR IS THIS?" He means: All men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not a color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. I have no idea what "taupe" is.

Hope all you guys have a great "Fathers" Day!

Worst question men get "Does this dress make me look fat?" It's a catch 22 question

BTW men never get lost,we get "misplaced",so gents update your "womens jargon records" to reflect this change

10 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

hope we can stash him,believe he will be a very good receiver down the road

If we try by the PS, we'll most likely lose him!!  Gotta somehow try the injury route, waive him with an injury settlement and try to resign him like 6-7 weeks after the injury resignment date ends, if that's possible.  Makes it harder for him to be claimed than to just have him plucked off the practice squad.

47 minutes ago, EaglesNJ69 said:

If we try by the PS, we'll most likely lose him!!  Gotta somehow try the injury route, waive him with an injury settlement and try to resign him like 6-7 weeks after the injury resignment date ends, if that's possible.  Makes it harder for him to be claimed than to just have him plucked off the practice squad.

While i agree with this completely it doesn't mean I have to like it. If it's possible to do this then yes, that's probably the way we should go. And this is not a shot at you or anyone other than the league, but damn that's crap.

The league must surely be aware of how the books get played and they should modernize to allow for some sort of better flexibility. This is what I see some of you referring to with regard to the max allowed players at certain times, right?

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

We still have treggs also

Treggs is a party animal and a disaster off the field. Good hands but I think he's gone before the season starts.

Reheb going well - thanks TD for asking. Start phys therapy next week. Was actually at the docs' this am when you asked. I'm bored as hell, climbing the walls but beyond where I should be now, just sucks I can't be active as winter seemed way too long as it was.

As for Treggs the party animal - don't know where that came from - any proof? These ota's was more interested in how quickly the newbies learn the system than actual play in shirts and shorts. W/o the middle cut this yr those who didn't show or do well have another shot, better take advantage of it.

Hope everyone had a great dads' day.

19 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Can't agree. Record in the Preseason doesn't mean much. And you can't win the preseason. But we need to see the talent assembled actually playing. Sure it might be very simplistic defenses and play calling. But we need to see many of these players show they can at least thrive in that watered down version of the NFL game. I believe how the preseason plays out determines what trades we need to make. Obviously injury plays into this also(just being realistic). 

I also believe this year getting off to a quick start is crucial. Two divisional games in the first 3 weeks means we need to hit the season in quality form to have a chance at much. Winning those doesn't get you to the postseason but losing both nearly buries you. So preseason is crucial for honing those skills and adding to chemistry.

Quick question to all on this bored....  during which preseason over the last few seasons do you feel that you were able to really gauge anything about this team?  Anything really?  Do you really need to see Wentz throw in preseason?  Can he look better than Sam Bradford did 2 years ago? And if so, what does that mean?   Can any LB play better than Acho?  Does Alshon need to make a great catch in August to prove himself?   How about Lane Johnson, does he need to block someone on August 17th to prove himself?   It's a nice practice run and dress rehearsal to get things ready at the stadiums.  Get the appetite wet for some real football that comes in September.  But do we really make predictions based on anything?   Of course you see the rookies for the first time, and its nice to see them move around.  But it's not telling at all in how the season will go.   10 wins barring bad injuries or completely stupid coaching ... book it!  4 wins vs the division, 5 vs the AFC/NFC West due to very favorable schedule and timing of those games .... then the gimme Chicago. With Carolina as a very winnable game early in the season if they fail in one of the others.   

joemas6 - I almost always agree with you - but preseason can be valuable for another reason. I'm convinced that a big reason for the Eagles' slaughter of the Steelers during the regular season stemmed from the confidence gained during the preseason game - invaluable for such a newly formed team. Pre-season is way more than just individual performances. (Never could fully understand Ocho's fall from grace, though.) I do agree: can't possibly gauge most individuals.

Incoming assumptions!  So set me straight if i'm wrong because i honestly don't know. Do PS games sell out? Is the crowd at a PS game higher in number, or at least comparable, to that of a college game? The reason I ask is that it may be beneficial, particularly for the newcomers, to get a sense of what it feels like to play at their new home. Perhaps a little less shock and awe? Also I think it helps them assimilate to the speed of the game., get their minds working at the right pace. I don't think that can be duplicated even in a full on practice amongst themselves. Like I said, purely conjecture.

This isn't the only reason I feel PS is useful but i do concede that the fear for injury is always in the back of my mind.