Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Procus

Jeremy Maclin played with torn groin, was disappointed Chiefs told him of release via voicemail

After the Chiefs signed JMac as a FA, the NFL fined them and docked them 2 draft picks.  I wonder if JMac's actions or words had anything to do with that, and in turn, his subsequent release.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19696424/jeremy-maclin-was-told-kansas-city-chiefs-release-via-voicemail

Jeremy Maclin played with torn groin, was disappointed Chiefs told him of release via voicemail

• ESPN.com news services

Jeremy Maclin was surprised by how the Kansas City Chiefs told him he was being released, a move that came after a season in which he played through an injury for most of it.

The veteran wide receiver told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on his Know Them From Adam podcast that he played most of last season with a torn groin and that Chiefs general manager John Dorsey left a voicemail to inform him that the team was releasing him.

Maclin missed four games last season with the injury and said he never really got back to 100 percent after he returned.

"So I missed about four weeks there with the torn groin, and I came back and I was able to play, but I can't sit up here and tell you I was 100 percent," he said of his injury. "But I'm also not going to sit up here and make excuses, so at the end of the day, I didn't play as well as I could have last year. I think that's ultimately what happened."

Maclin finished last season with career worsts in receptions (44), yards (536) and touchdowns (2). The Chiefs decided earlier this month to release him, and Maclin said he was on his way to former teammate Fletcher Cox's football camp in Mississippi when he received the message.

"I was on a flight, so clearly he couldn't get to me. So he left me a voicemail, but the issue is they released me so late on Friday I wouldn't become a free agent 'til Monday anyways. So I would at least think that, you know, have the respect for me enough to at least have a conversation with me. You know what I mean, not really find out through a voicemail," he said.

"So I think that's where, in my opinion, the problem or it really is just the business. I mean because I feel like if it was anything else, you know, especially being able to become a free agent Monday, at least have a conversation with somebody, you know?"

Maclin said Dorsey told him on the voicemail that he had "been trying to trade me for two or three months. And that they were gonna release me."

Although he was "shocked" by his release, Maclin said the manner in how it happened helped him to move on from the situation quickly.

Maclin had earlier told Pro Football Talk about the manner in which he was released.

Maclin soon found a new team, as he signed a two-year contract with the Baltimore Ravens last week.

Image result for world's smallest violin gif

It's just a business. They're all just feeding their families. It's a cruel world.

Not a classy move at all, but also not a good look to go crying about it.  It's like an ex.. move on.

Jmac cries a lot ... remember he cried when he left Philly saying he did not get a call as well .  maybe he needs better provider and wont miss calls  ;D 

Always thought the guy was made of glass. This supports that theory. And he likes to whine about it.

On 7/4/2017 at 7:39 AM, Jay90 said:

Maclin seems like a bit of a **** to me.

Do you think he will let his fan mail pile up for everyone to see in the Baltimore locker room like he did in Philly? :roll:

You know what, after thinking it over, it seems awfully coincidental that first "Chip never got through to Maclin on his phone" and now Maclin is saying, "The Chiefs only left a voicemail".

Always drama with this guy. I'll be watching the Ravens relatively closely just to see if this guy will show his worth.

I definitely think being told with a voicemail is the wrong way to go about it... But then again in this day it would have come out in the press anyway and that would have been much worse.

Maclin averaged about 950 yards and 7+ TDs a season here.

That's similar to Me-Shawn and better than and most others.

It also looks like Andy the GM is hamstringing Andy the coach again.