Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TenOfSwords

International Games Are Unfair - And How To Fix Them

Recommended Posts

Why should one team lose a home game while the other team avoids the disadvantage of a "pure" road game every time a game is played in England, Mexico, etc.?

Short of having every team play two international games a year, the only way out is a 17-game schedule, with the 17th game being an international or other neutral-site game.  Most of them would be in England, and most of the rest would be in Mexico - but other sites can by employed as well, maybe Hawaii, or Puerto Rico if it becomes the 51st state.

And what would the "17th game" be?  An interconference game matching up teams in divisions that played each other two years ago in the rotation, and allocated on the basis of the previous year's division finish.  This means that, if this was in effect this year, the 17th games for the NFC East would be Cowboys vs. Steelers, Giants vs. Ravens, Redskins vs. Bengals, and Eagles vs. Browns.  And the two conferences would take turns getting all the 17th games at home, so that no teams in direct competition for playoff spots or playoff seeds play a different number of home games.

Furthermore, if an additional bye week is added to each team's schedule, the Super Bowl can be played on the President's Day weekend - a long-term goal of the owners.  And it goes without saying that the exhibition season - oops, I mean the preseason - would be shortened by one game; not only that, but the Hall Of Fame Game would be the first game in Week 1 of preseason, not the week before Week 1, meaning that the teams playing in it will not be burdened with an extra exhibition game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

@Wallyhorse on line 1

:roll::roll::roll:

I have said this before:

You can cover the international games with a 17th Game (as part of a 19-week regular season where each team gets two bye weeks, the second of which is tied to mid-week games as not all mid-week games would be on Thursday in this scenario).  The rest of such can be neutral site games that usually are interconference (i.e.: Jets-Giants in Met Life where half the tickets go to each team, Giants-Steelers or Eagles-Steelers at Beaver Stadium (Penn State) or Giants-Ravens or Jets-Redskins at The Linc for example).  You could make the additional game an extra interconference game that can be a "rivalry game" played every year and twice in years when such games fall in the regular rotations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TenOfSwords said:

Furthermore, if an additional bye week is added to each team's schedule, the Super Bowl can be played on the President's Day weekend - a long-term goal of the owners.  And it goes without saying that the exhibition season - oops, I mean the preseason - would be shortened by one game; not only that, but the Hall Of Fame Game would be the first game in Week 1 of preseason, not the week before Week 1, meaning that the teams playing in it will not be burdened with an extra exhibition game.

There is an American institution moving back to its traditional Presidents Day weekend slot next year: The Daytona 500.  While NASCAR did move it back a week for a few years, many loyal fans have hated it and they are moving it back next year.   NASCAR would likely raise holy hell if the NFL tried to move the Super Bowl to that weekend given the blowback it got from already moving the Daytona 500 back, especially since that Sunday (when the Daytona 500 has been run in recent years) is also the night of Oscars.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

:roll::roll::roll:

I have said this before:

You can cover the international games with a 17th Game (as part of a 19-week regular season where each team gets two bye weeks, the second of which is tied to mid-week games as not all mid-week games would be on Thursday in this scenario).  The rest of such can be neutral site games that usually are interconference (i.e.: Jets-Giants in Met Life where half the tickets go to each team, Giants-Steelers or Eagles-Steelers at Beaver Stadium (Penn State) or Giants-Ravens or Jets-Redskins at The Linc for example).  You could make the additional game an extra interconference game that can be a "rivalry game" played every year and twice in years when such games fall in the regular rotations.

But if you apportion the 17th games on a positional basis you foster more competitive balance, and have some teams in different conferences play each other every other year, just like it's possible now for teams in different divisions of the same conference to play each other every year if they keep winning their respective divisions, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

too many peace bombs over there, for safety sake we should eliminate international games completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way to fix it is to schedule a team there who's not selling out their home games.  This is pretty much what they do already.  Problem fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RPeeteRules said:

The way to fix it is to schedule a team there who's not selling out their home games.  This is pretty much what they do already.  Problem fixed.

But that's anti-competitive balance - since it takes a home game away from a weak team (not always, maybe - just almost always).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TenOfSwords said:

But that's anti-competitive balance - since it takes a home game away from a weak team (not always, maybe - just almost always).

Everything is anti-competitive.  Some teams play more teams coming off byes/long breaks than others.  Some teams travel further.  Some teams play teams who are more healthy.

The international games likely bring in quite a bit of money for the NFL, which helps teams being able to spend more money a year.  It's good the way it is, I don't think it needs to be fixed.  They normally don't have a marquee matchup in those games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would have 16 neutral-site games to schedule. They would not necessarily have to be the new inter-conference games; some could be the inter-conference games that already exist, or even non-division games within the same conference.  But the principle of 8-8-1 - eight home games, and eight away games, and one neutral-site game - would need to be rigidly adhered to.  It's only fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who lives in the UK I will admit that something needs to be done and does need to change. But I absolutely do not want the games to be taken away because it's my chance to go and watch live games 2/3/4 times a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem with international games at this point, though I don't like 9am games... or more specifically, I wouldn't want an Eagles game at 9am (here). I also have no objection to a 17 or even an 18 game schedule to accommodate a 16 or 32 game international schedule, if that many games can be supported.

Making it a 17 game schedule means 3 pre-season games, rather than 4 and 18 games means 2 rather than 4. Also, I'd want two byes for an 18 game schedule and maybe one of the two games would be in Germany (at least on occasion), as I believe there's also a big fandom in Germany. 

If I'm making the rules, no divisional games can be scheduled internationally. Those games stay in their rightful homes. Only inter-conference games can be scheduled, no intra-conference games. No playoff games and no Super Bowls unless such a time comes that there's a London (or Berlin) team. At that point though, it's the INFL and not the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the 9:00am games on Sunday because I can have live football on my TV for 15+ hours straight.

I realize the international games are a business decision... If they are going to bring more $$ and exposure to NFL, then that's fine with me. But I'd hate it if they sent an Eagles home game somewhere else; those tickets are hard enough to get already. One less home game would be worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But back to having the extra game being Giants-Jets, Rams-Chargers, etc.  What would you do in the years when those divisions play each other?  Have the Giants and Jets etc. play each other twice?

That's why it's unworkable.

Plus having the new games be position-based would bring the NFL very close to its ideal strength-of-schedule model of 1995 through 2001 which saw two teams go from finishing last in their division one year to winning the Super Bowl the following year - the 1998-to-'99 Rams and the 2000-'01 Patriots.  Only one other time in NFL history has this happened - the 2008-to-'09 Saints (and the '08 Saints were 8-8, compared to the '00 Patriots at 5-11 and the '98 Rams at 4-12).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really dont want to get into much more than a 17 game season. I realize they will eventually move to 18 games and get rid of some of the preseason; but i do not want and 18-19 game season. Its too much of a change to do without dipping your toes in the water at 17 first. Plus (and this really may not be an issue for most people but it is for me) i hate to see all of the NFLs single season records shattered and the record books rewritten every year. Reggie White still holds the sack record in my opinion and unless someone gets 27/28 sacks or more in 16 games i will never acknowledge any different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from the obvious division games, I'm not in favor of any scheduling change that ensures teams are guaranteed to play each other every year. Scheduling should be based only on a rotation or based on same place finish from the year before. Playing the same team based on location like Giants/Jets or Cowboys/Texans is going to prove to be too beneficial for a team who gets to play a downtrodden team like the Browns or Jags who are terrible for years on end, and more of a disadvantage for teams who have to play power houses like GB or NE who are great teams for years on end. 

I think the schedule should stay as is but any addition should only be made based on a rotation or previous year's finish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going hand in hand with an extended schedule would have to be an extended roster.

Go from 53 to 60 to allow for depth due to the additional injuries that would occur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The owners want the Presidents Day weekend Super Bowl even more than they want more regular-season games - and the Sean Gilbert faction of the NFLPA is perfectly willing to give the owners more regular-season games if the owners abolish the Thursday night games (except, presumably, the one in Week 1 hosted by the Super Bowl champion and the now three Thanksgiving Day games, the latter providing those six teams all get a bye the week before, which is quite doable with a second bye week for each team).  And it appears as if the owners are very open to "lightening the load" on the players - witness the new shortened overtime - so long as, of course, the owners get something in return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2017 at 0:09 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

I'd rather get rid of international games. 

This....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2017 at 10:54 AM, TenOfSwords said:

The owners want the Presidents Day weekend Super Bowl even more than they want more regular-season games - and the Sean Gilbert faction of the NFLPA is perfectly willing to give the owners more regular-season games if the owners abolish the Thursday night games (except, presumably, the one in Week 1 hosted by the Super Bowl champion and the now three Thanksgiving Day games, the latter providing those six teams all get a bye the week before, which is quite doable with a second bye week for each team).  And it appears as if the owners are very open to "lightening the load" on the players - witness the new shortened overtime - so long as, of course, the owners get something in return.

I would love this. After the Superbowl, March Madness is a week or so away. The way it is now, when the season ends, the NHL and NBA dont cut it for me. Its that wait for the playoffs. This schedule would be perfect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well I have two international games to look forwards to this year! :-)

One is Chicago @ Tampa and the other is Seattle @ San Francisco.

For once the NFL didn't shove Jacksonville down your throats.  However, if London gets a team relocated, it will be the JagUars.  The only way that could work is if teams had two bye weeks instead of one.  Which comes back to the original problem of the Superbowl on President's day weekend.  It's NASCAR that's the issue, the majority of OSCAR fans couldn't care less about sports.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Iggles said:

For once the NFL didn't shove Jacksonville down your throats.  However, if London gets a team relocated, it will be the JagUars.  The only way that could work is if teams had two bye weeks instead of one.  Which comes back to the original problem of the Superbowl on President's day weekend.  It's NASCAR that's the issue, the majority of OSCAR fans couldn't care less about sports.  

Well the Jags are coming over here again this year buddy. I'm not actually at the moment going to any of the UK games which is a little funny given I'm going to games on the east and went coast of the States but not a game only couple of hours away from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2017 at 2:12 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well the Jags are coming over here again this year buddy. I'm not actually at the moment going to any of the UK games which is a little funny given I'm going to games on the east and went coast of the States but not a game only couple of hours away from me.

You threw me off with your previous quote.  I really don't care about the rest of the NFL schedule outside of the Eagles, and the NFC East.  That only emphasizes my original point that the NFL has this desire to ruin the league by expanding overseas permanently.   It took Major League Baseball almost twenty years to recover from adding four teams during the 1990's. The NHL is just coming out of their hangover by over expanding during the same period.   NASCAR did the same thing, and now all those racetracks are full of empty seats.  People were filling the seats until the 2008 financial meltdown.   

The NFL today is not the NFL I saw when I was nine years old.  The 1981 (1980) Eagles Cowboys NFC Championship game is available on Youtube.  It will open your eyes how much more fluid the games were back then without the tick tack holding, and false start calls.  The refs let the players play, unless it was obvious.  Danny White gets mauled to the ground near the end of the game when the Eagles had it won, no suspension, no fine, and no removal from the game.  There's another instance when Ron Jaworski tries to throw a pass to one of his TE's in the endzone, and he's mauled by a Dallas defender.  Incomplete; nobody complained, or had a fit.   Everything's changed so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites