Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Taking A Look At The NFC East

99 posts in this topic

It is the Every Team Has A Chance Division. The NFC East shapes up to be one of the best in the NFL this season, and also a division that features four teams that have a chance to win. That’s nothing new, of course, for there has been no repeat winner in the NFC East since the Eagles of 2003-04 ...

View the full article

We can win our division since all 4 teams have the toughest schedules. I just want to see improvements at this point and dont want to get over excited about what we might be able to do on O. We know CB is going to be difficult so lets see if Schwartz can figure how to make sure our D plan is excuted properly.

3 people like this

Dave - you left out a few things. That Dallas OL is dealing with replacement parts, so is NY. Dallas also has secondary problems. Take away Zeke and they're in trouble. NY can't run the ball and therefore one dimensional. Like the news on Grymes, if he can step up the CB position will not be as weak a link as previously anticipated.

5 people like this

Spuds, nice article. Good information on the division opponents. Personally I think the Eagles are still one year away. I'm not sure Torrey Smith is much of an upgrade although Jeffery, if he can stay clean AND healthy, IS a MAJOR upgrade. I'd like to see Jeffery as an Eagle long term IF he can stay clean and healthy. CB looks to be the major weakness vs Dez Bryant, Cole Beasley, OBJ, Marshall, Pryor, etc. I REALLY hope the defensive line is STELLAR. They will have to be. I don't necessarily like getting free agents from Super Bowl winning teams. Some of them clearly are worth it and time will tell with Blount and Long. They have their ring. Effort wise, I question Blount going forward. I think Long is a professional and his effort will not be an issue. I like Schwartz....don't love him....as D coordinator. I hope after last year that he can figure out how to better use Kendricks. Kendricks is/was a serious playmaker. Find his strengths and use them better so that we can see more playmaking results.

The BEST teams have the best O LINEs. I know the Eagles were lauded as having the best O line in the league recently. Say what? An aging, although I love him, Jason Peters is a shell of what he used to be and did not deserve the Pro Bowl nod he got last year. LG seems to be a revolving and leaky door. Kelce is a very athletic center, but he struggled with penalties and being overmatched often last year. Brooks was unavailable
too often last year. Johnson is fantastic, when he is there. He is one PED test away from being gone permanently guys. The backups are exactly that, backups. The team I detest so much went back to their Super Bowl winning formula and what a turnaround. I think Dak is a very mediocre QB. I will go to my grave saying Aikman was only an above average QB. Handing the ball to a good (not great) Emmett RB and watching him run through holes the size of a diesel truck was enough to make me sick every week. I could never understand why other teams didn't replicate that formula. I hate Dallas. I mean, I really hate the Dallas Cowpies and Jerry egomaniac Jones. But they could be the class of the division for many years again. Unless, the Eagles really improve their defense and Wentz and his weapons develop extremely quickly and efficiently.

Giants offense will be REALLY good.....IF they can block. Some games will be awesome for them and some will be dismal. They won't compete in the playoffs with that OLine.

Redskins? Lots of question marks. Trent Williams is a stud. The other T mentioned is good. Interior line is subject. Redskins have DOMINATED the Eagles over the past two or three years. That is embarrassing.

3 people like this

Spuds, nice article. Good information on the division opponents. Personally I think the Eagles are still one year away. I'm not sure Torrey Smith is much of an upgrade although Jeffery, if he can stay clean AND healthy, IS a MAJOR upgrade. I'd like to see Jeffery as an Eagle long term IF he can stay clean and healthy. CB looks to be the major weakness vs Dez Bryant, Cole Beasley, OBJ, Marshall, Pryor, etc. I REALLY hope the defensive line is STELLAR. They will have to be. I don't necessarily like getting free agents from Super Bowl winning teams. Some of them clearly are worth it and time will tell with Blount and Long. They have their ring. Effort wise, I question Blount going forward. I think Long is a professional and his effort will not be an issue. I like Schwartz....don't love him....as D coordinator. I hope after last year that he can figure out how to better use Kendricks. Kendricks is/was a serious playmaker. Find his strengths and use them better so that we can see more playmaking results.

The BEST teams have the best O LINEs. I know the Eagles were lauded as having the best O line in the league recently. Say what? An aging, although I love him, Jason Peters is a shell of what he used to be and did not deserve the Pro Bowl nod he got last year. LG seems to be a revolving and leaky door. Kelce is a very athletic center, but he struggled with penalties and being overmatched often last year. Brooks was unavailable
too often last year. Johnson is fantastic, when he is there. He is one PED test away from being gone permanently guys. The backups are exactly that, backups. The team I detest so much went back to their Super Bowl winning formula and what a turnaround. I think Dak is a very mediocre QB. I will go to my grave saying Aikman was only an above average QB. Handing the ball to a good (not great) Emmett RB and watching him run through holes the size of a diesel truck was enough to make me sick every week. I could never understand why other teams didn't replicate that formula. I hate Dallas. I mean, I really hate the Dallas Cowpies and Jerry egomaniac Jones. But they could be the class of the division for many years again. Unless, the Eagles really improve their defense and Wentz and his weapons develop extremely quickly and efficiently.

Giants offense will be REALLY good.....IF they can block. Some games will be awesome for them and some will be dismal. They won't compete in the playoffs with that OLine.

Redskins? Lots of question marks. Trent Williams is a stud. The other T mentioned is good. Interior line is subject. Redskins have DOMINATED the Eagles over the past two or three years. That is embarrassing.

DGB gone? No one should be surprised about that. He wasn't going to make the team anyway. Clear lack of effort and passion on his part. It is evident that he doesn't love the game. He had the body and the skillset, but that doesn't cut it at the highest level of competition to become GREAT.

3 people like this

It really seams like the Eagles are going to be in it until late in the season and so are the others. The team that wants it the most will prevail. It should be an interesting year. 

Let's see, last year, ... 36 drops and 6 games lost by one score . LJ gone 10 games, and very mediocre run game.
Everyone keeps saying" will Carson make the leap" ...simple answer, he don't have that far to leap, and with the new toys at his disposal, at the end of the year, ppl will say "wow , Carson had a great year" when the reality is, he got more reliable receivers, and a hammer for short yardage. Yes I think he had some things to clean up, but he was really pretty darn good last year.
The Defense got better too CBs are looking better, but I will hold judgment on them for now. D line should be very strong, I am hoping they dominate at the line of scrimmage.
Second year with new coaches and scheme, I am always a little bias, but I think the Eagles have a good shot at taking the division.

5 people like this

Dave - you left out a few things. That Dallas OL is dealing with replacement parts, so is NY. Dallas also has secondary problems. Take away Zeke and they're in trouble. NY can't run the ball and therefore one dimensional. Like the news on Grymes, if he can step up the CB position will not be as weak a link as previously anticipated.

I think that the secondary will be much improved over last season! I feel that way cause I think that the DB's will not only be better across the board than last seasons corps,but also cause I feel that the Pass Rush will also be much improved and in turn help the secondary

3 people like this

The time when we finally get to see a glimpse-just a tiny taste!-of what this Eagles team could become this year is slowly getting nearer. Three weeks till Camp & 5 weeks till PS Game 1. PRAISE THE LORD! I've had it with thinking & reading WHAT IF? Even though I know that's part of the territory for this part off the offseason.

4 people like this

Think we all know what our strengths and weaknesses are by now. LOL, we have been looking at this team under a microscope for the past month. CB may be the weakest part of the team, but we are better (at least on paper) on the D-Line and are strong at safety, so we may be able to deal with an average CB crew. Plus as many have mentioned, Grymes has made major strides this year.
On offense We are fairly set and should be able to move the ball on anyone. I would be shocked if we did not average 22 points a game. We should be close to 24.... So we go back to our defense.... Can we keep opponents from scoring 20 per game? I say we can, especially if we get ahead early to force them to throw the ball.... ST's should still be a strong point with Fipp here....

3 people like this

Dak being accused of using a machine to sigh autographs. If true that's fraud.
He fits right in with the culture in Dallas

5 people like this

5 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

I truly think Dak did not feel he was doing anything wrong there. I am sure he was never in his situation before last year. I normally do not stick up for anyone, but he is one of the few Dallas Cowboys that seems genuine. The other being a certain TE....

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

I truly think Dak did not feel he was doing anything wrong there. I am sure he was never in his situation before last year. I normally do not stick up for anyone, but he is one of the few Dallas Cowboys that seems genuine. The other being a certain TE....

You may be right. Strange, with all the money invested in these players you'd the teams would make more of an effort to keep them from doing stupid stuff.
And you're right about that TE. The fact that he's a great player and by all accounts the same as a person makes it hard to hate him. Even if he is a Cowpie.

2 people like this

If I recall correctly, Dallas plays 4 teams this year coming off a bye week. I also don't think they're able to carry over from last year. Prescott comes back to earth this year. Elliott will probably still do very well given their (downgraded from last year) decent O line. I am really looking forward to seeing our D go against Dallas' O this year. I expect Hicks to be The Man in these games.

I don't think any of the other NFC East teams made upgrades like we did over the offseason. In fact, on paper i'm not overly convinced any of the teams improved much at all. Perhaps the Giants on O but their complete lack of an O line is going to negate any such improvement. And we've always been able to ring Manning's bell.

Redskins - i don't know why they're destroying us but it's time turn that around.

3 people like this

Cowgirls lost significant pieces on the OL going into 2017.  No longer is Doug Free at RT or Ron Leary at LG.  Neither, IMO, were of Tyron Smith's or Zak Martin's quality but much better than replacements of La'el Collins at RT and either Johnathan Cooper or Emmett Cleary at LG.  PFF rated Collins at 42.1 while playing LG in 2016.  Certainly doesn't bode well for him setting the world on fire at RT for this year.  Cooper was rated at 73.2 playing LG in 2016 (near the bottom of PFF's average grade range.  Cleary was way off the charts at 47.1 but higher than Collins.  Seems Cooper plays more on running plays with Cleary in against nickel packages.  My grade has Cowgirl OL regressing somewhat this year and I don't think their pass blocking is going as good for 2017.  Eagles ranked 6th in pass blocking, Cowgirls were 9th.  Cowgirl line ranked higher overall because they were 3rd in Run Blocking while we were 13th.

Things appear to be changing for the better for us.   Imo, we'll take some teams by surprise.  Would love to surprise the "Skins"  on their home field. Hehehehehe!!  Bout time!!

2 people like this

One thing about the NFC East that we seem to forget. No matter how good or bad any team is, they always seem to upset another division rival 1-2 times a year. We need to prepare well for these games. Good solid game plans like we seem to do against the Giants each year.....

1 person likes this

I feel like both the skins and giants are beatable. But the cowboys will be formidable. Tyron Smith is a beast and he ain't the only one on that team that is. The Eagles offense should be better. It is the Eagles defense that could really change things. We'll see. It would be good to have a sense of where Sydney Jones is at. I was super high on him prior to the draft. Now? Will ever be what he was? Will he be able to play this year? IMHO, any injury to or let-down by the Eagles CBs and there could be trouble. 

P.S. One advantage the Eagles have over all the other NFC east teams is their special teams. I would be curious to know what percentage of games are actually decided by special teams.

1 person likes this

Our backups on our O Line could be starters elsewhere. Maybe not all of them, but certainly some. And you have to have good backups to your starters, which we have

2 people like this

Some of our O Line backups could be starters elsewhere

Nice summary article, stating the usual: as in previous years, in the expected "balanced" NFC East, the title is up for grabs.

DGB gone? No one should be surprised about that. He wasn't going to make the team anyway. Clear lack of effort and passion on his part. It is evident that he doesn't love the game. He had the body and the skillset, but that doesn't cut it at the highest level of competition to become GREAT.

Yeah a pity to waste talent like that