Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] Taking A Look At The NFC East

13 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Ham, great article.  Things you don't normally hear or know about what players, coaches, etc do, say and believe.  I enjoyed it so much I read several articles on that link and ended up subscribing to it.  Interesting articles!!

For us, the story of the division begins and ends with Wentz. If he rises to the occasion and makes plays at the end of close games we should take the NFC east with 10-12 wins. If he fails to, like in his rookie season, we'll be 7-9 again or maybe 8-8 without a playoff berth.

22 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Been awhile since I posted my surprise make for our 53 man roster if he stays healthy is going to be Marcus Johnson WR from Texas......

Interesting see how little we turned over our roster this year and honestly think it is going to benefit us greatly 

Seems like a decent roster turnover has occurred. Both starting outside receivers. New Starting RB. Starting LG will be different(hopefully...Barbre has to be replaced. Some team will get desperate for an Olineman and give us something in trade). On defense: DT,DE,Possibly end up with a new 4-3 Starting LB, New outside corners. It could take some time for chemistry. Much of the third string and practice squad guys are here but to me it's a significantly different team.

Stine,MrSimpson,BG and Oldtimer : 

"Right off the bat, his draft value has a ceiling because he's a slot receiver. At least that is how I see it. I don't think he has the speed to get open outside. He's a good value in the middle rounds, though, because of his return=game potential." -- NFC South scout

Agholor is much more quick than fast. He can get in and out of breaks well. And yes he doesn't have the wide open speed to get over the top. So you have to develop timing with a receiver like this. He does get open. But he also struggled with drops. I believe his best spot is the slot. But trading him or just getting rid of him is pure foolishness. He at least looks to be the first guy in off the bench(at any receiver position). And going in with JMatt still having this lingering knee issue Agholor's value to us keeps rising. Agholor's main issue is mental. That's a hurdle that a real WR coach can help unlock. We can hope at least. 2017 Nelson Agholor could very well be a player that we don't recognize. Which is optimistic but also realistic.

21 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Going to have to completely disagree on this one.....Turner has good hands think he might be a solid 4th option but nothing else.....Preseason he never played against 1s and D are vanilla anyway..... As for regular season did nothing to impress me seen a player that struggled to get open along with most of our other WR's.....Think fans want to over hype him maybe he is better this year and proves me wrong but until then I'd pass.....Again my money is on Marcus Johnson think he has way more upside and if he is healthy will show he can help this team  

I agree BG93. Turner does have great ball skills,but is nowhere comparable to Killer Bee AB.

Philadelphia Eagles' Jason Kelce on WIP: LeGarrette Blount 'will make my job easier'                                                                      Posted on July 10, 2017 at 10:36 AM • By Aaron Kasinitz,akasinitz@pennlive.com

An undersized NFL center, Jason Kelce insisted on the WIP morning radio show Monday that he's more effective as a run blocker than a pass protector. He prefers to pave the way for ball-carriers, too.…………"Having a guy like LeGarrette Blount behind me is only going to make my job easier," Kelce said Monday during an appearance on WIP. "There aren't going to be any of these one-armed tackles, where he's reaching out while I'm still blocking the guy and somehow he drags them down. It's going to take everything you got to bring that guy down."…………………Blount led the league with 18 rushing touchdowns for the Super Bowl champion Patriots last season, and at 250 pounds, he's easily the heaviest running back on Philadelphia's roster. He also outweighs every Eagles linebacker.…………While Kelce's been Philly's starter since arriving in the NFL in 2011……………When the Eagles signed veteran interior lineman Stefen Wisniewski to a three-year deal in March, many analysts viewed the move as a way for the Eagles to add insurance behind Kelce, in case his play fell off or an appealing trade offer emerged. Kelce, though, remains in Philadelphia and spent all spring taking first-team snaps in practice. Coaches also voiced support for the seventh-year veteran.……………

With Blount in the fold, Kelce believes he'll be performing more consistently in 2017. The Eagles' other new faces on offense, like former Pro Bowl receivers Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith, also have Kelce re-energized, even if he would rather carve holes for Blount. "All of these guys have a piece ... that can fit into very well in this system," Kelce said. "I'm excited. I was excited watching these guys in spring ball. I'm excited to see how all this translates when we start playing actual games."

http://www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/index.ssf/2017/07/philadelphia_eagles_jason_kelc.html

Looks like Kelce's the man at C unless he lays an egg. If this OL doesn't open up things for Blount,then there's a problem somewhere! What really made me roll my eyes though was reading "With Blount in the fold, Kelce believes he'll be performing more consistently in 2017." WTH does the addition of Blount have to do with Kelce's consistent performance? He should be going full-out no matter who the players are around him! :rolleyes:

On 7/9/2017 at 6:31 PM, MrSimpson said:

BleedingGreen93--First, I think we have to be fair to Turner, he didn't play much last year. It's hard to prove you can get open consistently, when you're given so little opportunity. Yet, in only his second game as a rookie, Turner had 5 receptions in one half alone. That's significant. I don't believe another Eagles WR did that all last year, did they?

Think Paul deserves his chance like the rest of the guy just not all that impressed from what I see last season from him but our entire WR group was unimpressive last season......If the Eagles keep 6 WRs he would be in my top 6 guys on roster right now Alshon/Torrey/Jmatt/Hollins/Johnson/ Turner being my top 6 so far don't think Gibson deserves a spot but still a ton of off-season to go so likely to change

Gibsons been there all of what 2 months? With no pads? And yet you write him off already? I think he will be a nice recevier in time.Cannto expect a rook to be pro-bowl in a few months.let him settle down,he tries too hard.it will come to him if we allow him some room to grow into a role.At least lets wait until we see what happens in camp before "deciding" who is on the roster

Alshon Jeffery has arrived in North Dakota to work out with Carson Wentz [UPDATE]:

Prior to the end of Philadelphia Eagles minicamp this year, Carson Wentz confirmed he’ll be working out and bonding with a number of his teammates in North Dakota before the start of training camp.………I haven’t seen other Eagles players tweet about being in Fargo, North Dakota yet so maybe Jeffery got there before everyone else. Other receiving targets expected to show up include (but isn’t limited to): Torrey Smith, Jordan Matthews, Zach Ertz, Trey Burton, etc.

The start of Eagles training camp is only two weeks away. Rookies, quarterbacks, and select veterans report on Sunday, July 23. (The rest of the team reports on July 26 to start full participation on Thur. the 27th.) In the meantime, Wentz will get some extra reps in with his wide receivers and tight ends. Nice to see the Eagles’ young quarterback showing leadership and building chemistry with his teammates both on and off the field.

UPDATE: Nelson Agholor has also arrived in North Dakota, per his Instagram.………………

UPDATE TWO: Torrey Smith posted a video of him and Shelton Gibson at the airport today.………………

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/7/9/15943612/alshon-jeffery-north-dakota-carson-wentz-work-out-eagles-philadelphia-passing-camp-teammates-twitter

Great news seeing these guys following through with getting a casual head start to Camp! ☺ 

Alshon has a great work ethic,something DGB never had.I hope this passes to the young guys.A nice showing by us this year and I'm sure Alshon can be re-signed maybe for a little longer term.Guy wants a ring(dont we ALL) and feels he's a great fit here with a chance to do some playoff damage very soon

Philadelphia Eagles fans: The best fan base in the entire NFL:  by Regina Ham•13 hours ago

Passionate has often been a term used in describing fans of the Philadelphia Eagles.…………They haven’t always shown their best face. They drink, and they can be loud, but they’re also passionate and loyal. It doesn’t matter if they live in California or in Manayunk because you’ll find them sporting an Eagles jersey. They’ll welcome you with open arms and treat you like you’ve been a friend of theirs for years. If you’re wearing a Dallas Cowboys jersey, then you may be on the receiving end of some very foul language and some dirty looks.……………

Loyal, Stubborn and Undying Support……………

The constant hope of a fanbase:……………

Outsiders beware………… It’s not just a fan base. It’s a family.

https://insidetheiggles.com/2017/07/09/philadelphia-eagles-one-best-fan-base-nfl/

A nice read that I think my fellow phanatics would enjoy so I decided to pass it on. Hope you enjoy it! ☺

Sometimes I am "alone in a crowd" but people always come up to me when I have my Eagles gear on and say "you know what,you guys never give up do ya?" And I always say "Nope,we have the best fans on the planet and when we DO win it all,it will be the sweetest taste ever"

For us, the story of the division begins and ends with Wentz. If he rises to the occasion and makes plays at the end of close games we should take the NFC east with 10-12 wins. If he fails to, like in his rookie season, we'll be 7-9 again or maybe 8-8 without a playoff berth.

Disagree,this is a TEAM sport.Wentz could be stellar,but if other areas are failures,it won;t matter.Can't put this all on one guy.I am excited this year to finally have a PASS RUSH,where we can level QB's and pressure them into errors.Also we gave a few games away last year due to bad play calling and mistakes at the wrong time(not that there is ever a good time for them,but you know what I mean)

9 hours and still cannot post on Spuds newest article. am putting our IT team out on waivers tomorrow

Seriously-I can't wait to watch Barnett unload the goods on Eli(reminds me of a song from a Cleveland band-BOOM,BOOM,Out go the lights) I want to sing that often

To respond your talk about special teams. Let's remember that future starters often come from them. Week 13 1977 at Veterans Stadium contra the New York Giants. At the half the Eagles trailed the Giants 7 to 3. The Eagles fumbled at their own 20 basically giving NY a touchdown. I think that the officials ignored a pass interference on Harold Carmichael in the Giants End Zone. The Eagles settled for a field goal on a short drive. Wilbert Montgomery took the second kickoff and went 102 yards for touchdown. The Eagles won 17 to 14; this capped a 65 yard drive with Ron Jaworsky bootlegging with 14 seconds remaining.

Final 14 at Veterans Stadium. On the final week, Wilbert Montgomery gained 103 yards in a virtual downpour. The Eagles shout the New York Jets 27 to 0. I remember Roman Gabriel coming in at quarter back for the second play in 1977. The Eagles were at the NY 20; the water was falling in sheets. There was just under two minutes remaining. He handed off to Wilbert Montgomery who went 20 yards for a touchdown. This game was the coming out for Montgomery. Final Eagles 27

Seriously-I can't wait to watch Barnett unload the goods on Eli(reminds me of a song from a Cleveland band-BOOM,BOOM,Out go the lights) I want to sing that often

I remember Pat Travers did that song. Don't know if it was a cover but he did a version in the early 80's I think. His other big hit was "Snorting Whiskey, and Drinkin Cocaine". Wow how times have changed, now its how much money and women you have.

On 7/10/2017 at 10:54 AM, johnreaves said:

Disagree,this is a TEAM sport.Wentz could be stellar,but if other areas are failures,it won;t matter.Can't put this all on one guy.I am excited this year to finally have a PASS RUSH,where we can level QB's and pressure them into errors.Also we gave a few games away last year due to bad play calling and mistakes at the wrong time(not that there is ever a good time for them,but you know what I mean)

Yes, of course, but that's my point: I'm confident that everywhere else (except perhaps at CB) we're strong enough. QB is the only area I'm in a more wait and see mode, and it's the most important position by far for any team. There were other issues last year but Wentz's inability to make plays at the end of any of the six close games we played last year (he did make one...with his legs, vs the Ravens in a loss) is why we didn't win 9 or 10 games (or more). He was a rookie, I understand, but that has to change or nothing else will matter much.

18 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:54 AM, johnreaves said:

Yes, of course, but that's my point: I'm confident that everywhere else (except perhaps at CB) we're strong enough. QB is the only area I'm in a more wait and see mode, and it's the most important position by far for any team. There were other issues last year but Wentz's inability to make plays at the end of any of the six close games we played last year (he did make one...with his legs, vs the Ravens in a loss) is why we didn't win 9 or 10 games (or more). He was a rookie, I understand, but that has to change or nothing else will matter much.

You need to let this go John. This is about the 20th time I have seen posts from you regarding Wentz's inability to make plays at the end of games. It is your opinion so I am all for you letting all know it, but please stop repeating it. First, you are the only one who feels this way. I am not sure if you are trying to stir up a debate, but I do not choose to argue over how I feel. Frankly we are both right..... Anyway, There was an article about this and I will place link below:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/16c6b318-efda-3f39-9f36-6e17b1ddbc78/ss_carson-wentz-%26-the-art-of.html

19 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Gibsons been there all of what 2 months? With no pads? And yet you write him off already? I think he will be a nice recevier in time.Cannto expect a rook to be pro-bowl in a few months.let him settle down,he tries too hard.it will come to him if we allow him some room to grow into a role.At least lets wait until we see what happens in camp before "deciding" who is on the roster

How was I writing him off said a ton could change ton of off-season still to go but as it stands now those were my top 6 guys 

Also just to add even if he didn't make the 53 man roster his rookie year I by no means think it is the end of the road for him either I do believe in giving guys time and believe he could be stashed away on the PS that is purpose of the practice squad to keep raw talent that will hopefully develop and blossom 

On 7/7/2017 at 10:35 AM, EaglesNJ69 said:

Cowgirls lost significant pieces on the OL going into 2017.  No longer is Doug Free at RT or Ron Leary at LG.  Neither, IMO, were of Tyron Smith's or Zak Martin's quality but much better than replacements of La'el Collins at RT and either Johnathan Cooper or Emmett Cleary at LG.  PFF rated Collins at 42.1 while playing LG in 2016.  Certainly doesn't bode well for him setting the world on fire at RT for this year.  Cooper was rated at 73.2 playing LG in 2016 (near the bottom of PFF's average grade range.  Cleary was way off the charts at 47.1 but higher than Collins.  Seems Cooper plays more on running plays with Cleary in against nickel packages.  My grade has Cowgirl OL regressing somewhat this year and I don't think their pass blocking is going as good for 2017.  Eagles ranked 6th in pass blocking, Cowgirls were 9th.  Cowgirl line ranked higher overall because they were 3rd in Run Blocking while we were 13th.

Things appear to be changing for the better for us.   Imo, we'll take some teams by surprise.  Would love to surprise the "Skins"  on their home field. Hehehehehe!!  Bout time!!

RE-Dullaz.How many times have we said "oh they lost pieces and are terrible,only to find out that Garrett has once again got them in play mode? I'm not saying NUTTIN until I see both US and THEM play

IDK, they had 2 good years... last year and 2012? They haven't really established anything.

To respond your talk about special teams. Let's remember that future starters often come from them. Week 13 1977 at Veterans Stadium contra the New York Giants. At the half the Eagles trailed the Giants 7 to 3. The Eagles fumbled at their own 20 basically giving NY a touchdown. I think that the officials ignored a pass interference on Harold Carmichael in the Giants End Zone. The Eagles settled for a field goal on a short drive. Wilbert Montgomery took the second kickoff and went 102 yards for touchdown. The Eagles won 17 to 14; this capped a 65 yard drive with Ron Jaworsky bootlegging with 14 seconds remaining.

Final 14 at Veterans Stadium. On the final week, Wilbert Montgomery gained 103 yards in a virtual downpour. The Eagles shout the New York Jets 27 to 0. I remember Roman Gabriel coming in at quarter back for the second play in 1977. The Eagles were at the NY 20; the water was falling in sheets. There was just under two minutes remaining. He handed off to Wilbert Montgomery who went 20 yards for a touchdown. This game was the coming out for Montgomery. Final Eagles 27

Leonard's Memory Lane! Love the profile name....Montgomery's coming out party. My favorite Eagle of all time! Gotta love it!

Interested in hearing others opinions about Blount. Here is my concern, legit or not remains to be seen: Blount has his ring. From reports, he doesn't have the best work ethic. Eagles put a "bonus" in his contract for weight requirement. If you have a true PASSION to be the best, you wouldn't need a weight requirement in your contract period. He had a thuggish reputation coming out of Oregon. For Belicheat, Blount was all business and stayed to the task at hand and played team football. At Pittsburgh, not so much. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. If the team is not in contention, I see him being a distraction later in the year. Here's hoping the team is competing for a high playoff seed.
I'm afraid Wentz needs one more year. New WRs are awesome, but they need game work to develop chemistry. Steve Young and Jerry Rice played together for years. It's not as easy as they made it look. I'm hoping for a better than 8-8 record, but given the division strength nowadays, that's what this team looks like unfortunately.