Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Taking A Look At The NFC East

99 posts in this topic

Sen,... here is my take. Blount, if the team is doing poorly... does it matter? Do we want a happy bunch of losers? Not sure what his motivation to be an arse would be, it was obvious he wanted to go back to NE, and obvious how fishy it happened?? But, no issue with the weight clause if he signed the contract, basically says we won't pay you unless you stay in shape, kinda obvious. As for Wentz and the WRs. We've seen plenty of times where QBs and WRs don't need much to be working well off the bat. Aren't you in Denver area? Good examples of how that worked. But in reality, we don't need SB level play or chemistry yet, just to take the next steps and make the playoffs. As for the Eagles and their current situation with division and schedule. The Giants are the team I think will be the competition in the East, unless Eli gets zero protection. The schedule, I absolutely love it. The reason why, is that I simply just compare it to the rest of the division, that's really only what matters. No teams off a bye, staying out West for back to back when its cold... getting Denver at home between KC and NE for them... and getting Oakland to travel across the country on Xmas and play in the cold. Arizona is much tougher at home, they come here. The extra games are early at Carolina, love that fact...and the gimme game vs the Bears which is by far the easiest in the NFC North. Also love opening on the road in Washington, you know everyone is up for that, and then when you need the home game later, we get it vs them. Not that it is an easy schedule overall... but I like it compared to Dallas, NYG and Wash! Barring disaster with injuries... I will be dissapointed with less than 10 wins! This is logic, not emotional. I've thought the CB situation has been a disaster anyway, so my expectation is not as bad a dropoff as most fans who for some reason liked Carroll and whatever else they had lately??? But I like the OL and DL situation much better now. Plus actual NFL talent at the skill positions. That's just me.

4 people like this

Joemas, I just simply don't know. I like the OL situation, assuming Lane Johnson doesn't screw up or get hurt. Jeffery is one stupid move away from a season ban too. But with a 1 year deal, he has a lot more to prove. 10 wins and a playoff team? Man I hope so. I just don't see it yet though. CB position is pretty dire in a passing league. Be careful thinking it can't get any worse, because we all know it can. Giants will be good, but I think they will have good and bad games because their O line is the worst in the division by far.

And I'm in the Boise area. DETEST the Denver Donkeys! Haha.

I'm in the Boise, Idaho area. I absolutely DETEST the Denver Donkeys. haha

Sorry for the double post. This website does not update things quickly. It appeared that it was stuck and not going to post the first comment.

1 person likes this

Joemas, I just simply don't know. I like the OL situation, assuming Lane Johnson doesn't screw up or get hurt. Jeffery is one stupid move away from a season ban too. But with a 1 year deal, he has a lot more to prove. 10 wins and a playoff team? Man I hope so. I just don't see it yet though. CB position is pretty dire in a passing league. Be careful thinking it can't get any worse, because we all know it can. Giants will be good, but I think they will have good and bad games because their O line is the worst in the division by far.

Nice to see you back on,haven't seen ya for a while. What would you think if I told you that the secondary will be much better this season than last? The guys in the CB competition are all much better than Carroll & McKelvin. I don't know how much better,but still an improvement + I see the DL being much more effective with the pass rush which will in turn help out the DB's. And even better next season when Douglas and Jones will man the outside & Mills in the slot? At least that's the way I see it.

1 person likes this

My take on Blount is pretty simple, if he's doing good he'll be fine. If he's not, he won't. I don't think he's a complicated guy. I have no doubt he can help the team but that's dependent on how much he plays and how well he's doing. If he's not doing good, he's gonna rock the boat.

On 7/11/2017 at 4:54 PM, senhorcook said:

Nice to see you back on,haven't seen ya for a while. What would you think if I told you that the secondary will be much better this season than last? The guys in the CB competition are all much better than Carroll & McKelvin. I don't know how much better,but still an improvement + I see the DL being much more effective with the pass rush which will in turn help out the DB's. And even better next season when Douglas and Jones will man the outside & Mills in the slot? At least that's the way I see it.

Thank you EaglesTD123! Work has been crazy busy. My friend, I would be ecstatic if the secondary turns out to be MUCH better! Is Douglas really that good? You don't expect serious rookie mistakes and lapses as a 3rd rounder? I never saw a West Virginia game to know what his talents are.

1 person likes this

My take on Blount is pretty simple, if he's doing good he'll be fine. If he's not, he won't. I don't think he's a complicated guy. I have no doubt he can help the team but that's dependent on how much he plays and how well he's doing. If he's not doing good, he's gonna rock the boat.

Well stated. I hope he and, more importantly, the team is doing extremely well!

Is it just me, or is the website worse, to post comments anyway?

2 people like this

Dave, I don't know if you read these comments and I don't know if your IT staff is contract or Eagles employees but to say this website has become second rate is being charitable.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, senhorcook said:

Thank you EaglesTD123! Work has been crazy busy. My friend, I would be ecstatic if the secondary turns out to be MUCH better! Is Douglas really that good? You don't expect serious rookie mistakes and lapses as a 3rd rounder? I never saw a West Virginia game to know what his talents are.

Your welcome! Yes,from Douglas' college film that I watched (I only saw 1 actual game of WVU's) and the film that I saw from OTA's & Mini-camp he was pretty darn good,even drew raves from Alshon Jeffery. He's 6'-2"/209 but runs like a smaller CB,very agile and a ball hawk. I have no doubt that he'll make his fair share of mistakes though like anyone else.    Jeffery on Douglas-PHILADELPHIA – Perhaps the most fascinating part of the Eagles' spring practices were the one-on-one matchups between wide receiver Alshon Jeffery and rookie cornerback Rasul Douglas. Douglas, who's 6-foot-2, said he has gotten an intense education going against the 6-foot-3 wide receiver whom Douglas said "has mittens for hands." That is why Jeffery, unprompted, had this to say about Douglas, whom the Eagles seemingly have put on the fast track to start at a position of need after both starters from last season were not brought back: "I look for him to have, my prediction, is probably to say about three to five picks this year," Jeffery said. "I believe he can do that. Maybe more, we’ll see. The sky's the limit for him. He’s already pretty good. He’s going to be a good corner in this league. He’s just got to keep working, keep learning from what his coaches tell him.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/nfl/eagles/2017/06/16/alshon-jeffery-prediction-rasul-douglas/402742001/

Douglas,tied for the NCAA lead with 8 INT's as a senior in 2016, registered 78 tackles (55 solo), 9 INT's, and two FF's in 24 games with the Mountaineers.

Check out these highlights. If he can carry this over…BOOM!  Duration 2:59

Many more clips here Enjoy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rasul+douglas+highlights+2016&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

1 person likes this

That's a great article, TD, thanks!

2 people like this

6 hours ago, Swoopin' said:

That's a great article, TD, thanks!

YOU BET! ☺ Thank you,I appreciate that very much!

2 people like this

On 7/11/2017 at 6:54 PM, senhorcook said:

Pretty much how I see it. Hated...absolutely hated Carroll. Was great on any play in front of him...couldn't defend anything where the play was behind him. The next time I see him turn around to look at the ball ...will be the first time! The young guys could be as bad... or not. But the fact they are young means a higher ceiling. The possibility of development at CB is something we haven't had in forever. Patchwork mediocrity was the trend forever.

2 people like this

On 7/10/2017 at 8:08 PM, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On 7/10/2017 at 10:54 AM, johnreaves said:

For us, the story of the division begins and ends with Wentz. If he rises to the occasion and makes plays at the end of close games we should take the NFC east with 10-12 wins. If he fails to, like in his rookie season, we'll be 7-9 again or maybe 8-8 without a playoff berth.

Disagree,this is a TEAM sport.Wentz could be stellar,but if other areas are failures,it won;t matter.Can't put this all on one guy.I am excited this year to finally have a PASS RUSH,where we can level QB's and pressure them into errors.Also we gave a few games away last year due to bad play calling and mistakes at the wrong time(not that there is ever a good time for them,but you know what I mean)

Yes, of course, but that's my point: I'm confident that everywhere else (except perhaps at CB) we're strong enough. QB is the only area I'm in a more wait and see mode, and it's the most important position by far for any team. There were other issues last year but Wentz's inability to make plays at the end of any of the six close games we played last year (he did make one...with his legs, vs the Ravens in a loss) is why we didn't win 9 or 10 games (or more). He was a rookie, I understand, but that has to change or nothing else will matter much.

Think Wentz will be fine.Remember we had shaky WR's,but now he has legit threats that weren't there before

1 person likes this

On 7/8/2017 at 2:24 PM, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On 7/7/2017 at 10:35 AM, EaglesNJ69 said:

Cowgirls lost significant pieces on the OL going into 2017.  No longer is Doug Free at RT or Ron Leary at LG.  Neither, IMO, were of Tyron Smith's or Zak Martin's quality but much better than replacements of La'el Collins at RT and either Johnathan Cooper or Emmett Cleary at LG.  PFF rated Collins at 42.1 while playing LG in 2016.  Certainly doesn't bode well for him setting the world on fire at RT for this year.  Cooper was rated at 73.2 playing LG in 2016 (near the bottom of PFF's average grade range.  Cleary was way off the charts at 47.1 but higher than Collins.  Seems Cooper plays more on running plays with Cleary in against nickel packages.  My grade has Cowgirl OL regressing somewhat this year and I don't think their pass blocking is going as good for 2017.  Eagles ranked 6th in pass blocking, Cowgirls were 9th.  Cowgirl line ranked higher overall because they were 3rd in Run Blocking while we were 13th.

Things appear to be changing for the better for us.   Imo, we'll take some teams by surprise.  Would love to surprise the "Skins"  on their home field. Hehehehehe!!  Bout time!!

RE-Dullaz.How many times have we said "oh they lost pieces and are terrible,only to find out that Garrett has once again got them in play mode? I'm not saying NUTTIN until I see both US and THEM play

IDK, they had 2 good years... last year and 2012? They haven't really established anything.

True,the point I was making is that we tend to underestimate Garrett's ability to patch things up and be better than we seem to believe

Interested in hearing others opinions about Blount. Here is my concern, legit or not remains to be seen: Blount has his ring. From reports, he doesn't have the best work ethic. Eagles put a "bonus" in his contract for weight requirement. If you have a true PASSION to be the best, you wouldn't need a weight requirement in your contract period. He had a thuggish reputation coming out of Oregon. For Belicheat, Blount was all business and stayed to the task at hand and played team football. At Pittsburgh, not so much. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. If the team is not in contention, I see him being a distraction later in the year. Here's hoping the team is competing for a high playoff seed.
I'm afraid Wentz needs one more year. New WRs are awesome, but they need game work to develop chemistry. Steve Young and Jerry Rice played together for years. It's not as easy as they made it look. I'm hoping for a better than 8-8 record, but given the division strength nowadays, that's what this team looks like unfortunately.

IMO anything short of 9 wins is a fail.I am looking for 10 TBH with you

1 person likes this

On 7/11/2017 at 10:15 PM, EaglesTD123 said:
  On 7/11/2017 at 6:54 PM, senhorcook said:

Pretty much how I see it. Hated...absolutely hated Carroll. Was great on any play in front of him...couldn't defend anything where the play was behind him. The next time I see him turn around to look at the ball ...will be the first time! The young guys could be as bad... or not. But the fact they are young means a higher ceiling. The possibility of development at CB is something we haven't had in forever. Patchwork mediocrity was the trend forever.

Joe,my guess is this year we SHOULD find ONE solid starter.Next year we add in Jones and BOOM,we got a secondary.he may even see the field LATE in the season in garbage time,just to keep the rust off and who knows,if we DO make post season he could actually PLAY this year.Don;t want to rush him back,but if he can go I think we see some snaps for him LATE

2 people like this

16 hours ago, joemas6 said:

:lol: You're not the only one brother. There were many times that I wanted to go through the TV screen and strangle him! Esp. after that TD that he gave to Dez last season. If he had turned around he could've darn near had the ball hit him in the hands for an INT.:censored:  Yes,I can't remember being able to develop a pair of corners since '01 or '02 with Lito & Sheldon. I'm hoping our new pair turns out to be just as good and better. If these new guys play without getting their heads around to make a play on the ball it's gonna make me real skeptical as to how Coach Undlin is schoolin' these guys.

21 hours ago, joemas6 said:

:lol: You're not the only one brother. There were many times that I wanted to go through the TV screen and strangle him! Esp. after that TD that he gave to Dez last season. If he had turned around he could've darn near had the ball hit him in the hands for an INT.:censored:  Yes,I can't remember being able to develop a pair of corners since '01 or '02 with Lito & Sheldon. I'm hoping our new pair turns out to be just as good and better. If these new guys play without getting their heads around to make a play on the ball it's gonna make me real skeptical as to how Coach Undlin is schoolin' these guys.

Yep,if he's teaching them not to do that,then the fans will call for his head.heck I learned this stuff in HS and I was on OFFENSE,but even so it helped me cause we were taught HOW defenders do it and HOW you can trick them if you need to.My HS coach shoulda been a pro coach.I learned so much from him it's insane

2 people like this

Ezekiel Elliott allegedly involved in altercation at a bar.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/7/17/15981456/ezekiel-elliott-altercation-bar-fight-dallas-cowboys-running-back-nfl-investigation-suspension

Busted Coverage is reporting Elliott punched a DJ at the bar and knocked him out. They’re also claiming the DJ had to go to the hospital.

Last week, one NFL insider reported there’s a "growing sense” Elliott will be suspended for a game or two this season related to last year’s off-field alleged abuse incident.

The league can’t be happy that one of their best young players is making headlines for bad reasons. Along with last year’s incident, Elliott irresponsibly pulled down a woman’s shirt during a parade this year. Now he’s being accused of being involved in a bar altercation.

Dallas will already be without their best pass rusher for the first four weeks of the 2017 season. One of their starting linebackers was arrested for aggravated assault and potential starting cornerback Nolan Carroll got booked for DWI earlier this offseason. Oh, and the team’s starting quarterback, Dak Prescott, was accused of faking autographs.

If this latest is true, combine the other two legally pending issues he's got going on - could he miss the season?? Just when the league thinks it's close to wrapping up their investigation - "looks like we got another one".

On 7/15/2017 at 8:53 AM, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yep,if he's teaching them not to do that,then the fans will call for his head.heck I learned this stuff in HS and I was on OFFENSE,but even so it helped me cause we were taught HOW defenders do it and HOW you can trick them if you need to.My HS coach shoulda been a pro coach.I learned so much from him it's insane

I learned to look at hte ball at 5 years old in the back yard ... not rocket science.