Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[Spadaro] News And Notes As Training Camp Nears

72 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

After going through the schedule I see 10 wins. I sure hope that I'm right and you're wrong! Not to say that I'm right,but much rather for the team is why I hope that you're wrong. ☺

Well, I hope I am wrong too! But as MJK said, it is way too early to predict anything. I was just pointing out areas of concern. My main concern is HC decisions. I hope he does a much better job this year. He certainly has better options. Maybe that will be the difference. Maybe he will decide to let another call the game, which will delight me no end!!

1 person likes this

Saw the 1st announcement for the start of Eagles' football on Aug. 10 last night on FOX 43. I was like a kid I was so excited! :excited:

27 minutes ago, stine said:

Well, I hope I am wrong too! But as MJK said, it is way too early to predict anything. I was just pointing out areas of concern. My main concern is HC decisions. I hope he does a much better job this year. He certainly has better options. Maybe that will be the difference. Maybe he will decide to let another call the game, which will delight me no end!!

Yes,I too have been wanting him to hand the keys over to Reich so that he can have a little more of that precious time to mind the flow of the game. Either way I see Pederson as a perfectionist and I'm sure that he has evaluated his work from last season plenty. Yes,there are MANY more tools in his box this year,but they must be used correctly. The right tool/play-call for the job. I understand your concerns cause I too have them. I'm just a VERY passionate fan. I have a hard time keeping my hopes in check. I guess I could sum it up by saying that I'm being cautiously optimistic. The pom-poms are still packed in the closet.

10 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Yes,I too have been wanting him to hand the keys over to Reich so that he can have a little more of that precious time to mind the flow of the game. Either way I see Pederson as a perfectionist and I'm sure that he has evaluated his work from last season plenty. Yes,there are MANY more tools in his box this year,but they must be used correctly. The right tool/play-call for the job. I understand your concerns cause I too have them. I'm just a VERY passionate fan. I have a hard time keeping keeping my hopes in check. I guess I could sum it up by saying that I'm being cautiously optimistic. The pom-poms are still packed in the closet.

Well, it comes down to being a Philly Fan for over 40 years..... We get accustomed to being let down.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, stine said:

Well, it comes down to being a Philly Fan for over 40 years..... We get accustomed to being let down.

I've been one for 38 now,since '79. I'm used to being let down too and I'm sick of it,I want that coveted prize BAD! Still,even though I'm fed up with having a stake driven through my heart year after year I have a hard time containing my obsession. I'm 99.9% sure that this same topic resonates throughout the rest of the phanatics in this clique.

LMAO. There could be a possibility of trouble in paradise with the cowpie ranch. :lol:  Dak calls out Zeke by saying that he should be using his time to be more productive for charity rather than the body issue shoot. I love it. Fight nice boys. But remember that anything goes. Be a huge disruption in that cowpie locker room,kick each other in the sack,etc.:slap::chair: HAHAHA,git 'er done!

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-network-total-access%2F0ap3000000819348%2FDak-calls-out-Zeke-for-ESPN-Body-Issue-cover-photo

1 person likes this

I've got exactly the same concerns with PD's play-calling. This year is a big one for him.

Something I happened to catch from an interview of DeFillipo, emphasis mine:

I would have a hard time thinking there is a better relationship in the league between head coach, coordinator and quarterback coach. The way I look at our room is this, Coach Pederson is our head football coach,” DeFillippo explained. "He is in charge of the welfare of our football team. Coach Reich is the offensive coordinator. He is in charge of the welfare of our offense.

"My job is the day-to-day welfare, specifically of the quarterbacks. We all know the chain of command and what roles we have. There is very little, if any, ego between the three of us.”

It's an interesting dynamic. Probably not unique to Philly, but it is a solid group. My quesiton is, doesn't the OC call the plays? Or is my assumption wrong?

15 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

. Funny, never hear of D's getting together in the OS.

It would be nice to see them getting together to hang out but in terms of practicing/getting familiar with each other's style I don't know how they could.

It reminds me of an age old mystery to me.. In Steven Segal's type of martial arts, it was taught to wait for the attack and then use the attacker's motions against them. So one wonders, WHAT DID THEY DO IN THE DOJO ALL DAY LONG????  :flex:

33 minutes ago, Swoopin' said:

I've got exactly the same concerns with PD's play-calling. This year is a big one for him.

It's an interesting dynamic. Probably not unique to Philly, but it is a solid group. My quesiton is, doesn't the OC call the plays? Or is my assumption wrong?

I believe Doug calls all plays, not Reich. I wish it was the other way around and maybe this will happen. We will see....

Yeah, he does, sorry I think i worded it wrong. I guess i'm confused as to what the OC really does? Does he just make sure people are doing what they're supposed to do in the play PD called?

Seems the more I read about Grymes, the more impressed people are w/ him and may play a lot into whether or not Jones gets an accrued season. Depends a lot on his play in camp and whether or not MIlls becomes more consistent. Not a bad problem to have.

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The Skins have beat us like a gazillion times in a row. No way am I looking at those matchups as gimmes. Dallas was on top of the whole league last year. And the full NFL schedule analysis points to our game IN dallas as the heaviest weighted game on our schedule towards making the playoffs. 60 percent chance of making the playoffs versus 27 percent with a loss in that one game. And the Giants have really put together a pretty legit defense. Who can win their battles in this matchup? We know their run game has struggled and their Oline is questionable but will we be able to take advantage of that? Or will their uncoverable receivers romp all over us? Tough

Ton of questions revolving around our Division should not take any games as gimmes I wouldn't....Skins have had our number for that last 3-4 years does that continue does losing Djax and Gurcon hurt them?????  and how much???, How does Kirk play this year on another 1 year deal been fairly consistent so far but these things could weigh on him.... Health is always a question especially to there best O player in Reed...... Dallas best team in the East easily one of the best in the entire NFC but none of that matter now...Can Dak keep up the same level of play as his rookie year(unlikely), What happens with Zeke does he face suspension??? Even if he doesn't does he have the same success year 2, How do all the other suspensions of Dallas players effect them????? What does losing 2 of there starting OL do to the OL?????? Giants loaded it seems like at the skill positions, But how does Eli play does he bounce back or keep regressing???? Can the Giants OL protect him and open lanes for a ground game????? Do the Giants have enough of a pass rush was still an issue last year for them???? Can Apple continue  his growth at CB does DRC hold up and does Collins have the same success after what looked like a breakout year?????

Eagles have plenty of questions as well that need to be answered....Does Wentz take the next step in year 2, Can our OL stay healthy????, How is the chemistry with Wentz and new WRs???? Can Blount and company provide a consistent ground game???? Our Cbs how will they play???? Can our LBs hold up not much depth???? Can our DL get home with a 4 man rush???? 

2 people like this

7 hours ago, Swoopin' said:

It's an interesting dynamic. Probably not unique to Philly, but it is a solid group. My question is, doesn't the OC call the plays? Or is my assumption wrong?

It's up to the HC who calls and/or picks the plays. Same for Defense if he's a D minded coach.  I love the coaching staff in place right now. My jury is still undecided on DB coach Cory Undlin. I need to see how he brings up Douglas & Jones. If they and the other younger CB's starting getting their heads around to try and make a play on the ball then I'll be more able to assess him.

Eagles ranked the third-best defensive line in football

USA Today ranks the Eagles defensive line as the best in the NFC.

http://phi.247sports.com/Bolt/Eagles-ranked-the-third-best-defensive-line-in-football-75055196

Eagles secondary ranked 31st in NFL

The Eagles secondary has the opportunity to gradually improve this ranking with an improved pass rush and the return of Ron Brooks. Philadelphia allowed just 204.3 pass yards per game in the six games Brooks played in the slot. That number increased to 305.8 in the 10 games without Brooks, and Jenkins moving down to the slot to replace him. 

http://phi.247sports.com/Bolt/Eagles-secondary-ranked-31st-in-NFL-75058479

How can you rank teams when they have yet to play a single snap? UFB!

I think the coaching duties and hierarchy was established in the beginning. Pedey is clearly in charge of the offense. Schwartz is clearly in charge of the defense. Reich and Schwartz are not equal(though both holding coordinator titles). I personally think it's crucial for Pedey to play call and be that voice in Wentz ear. That relationship is crucial. We really are only going where those two can take us.

10 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I think the coaching duties and hierarchy was established in the beginning. Pedey is clearly in charge of the offense. Schwartz is clearly in charge of the defense. Reich and Schwartz are not equal(though both holding coordinator titles). I personally think it's crucial for Pedey to play call and be that voice in Wentz ear. That relationship is crucial. We really are only going where those two can take us.

I disagree. I think DP needs to concentrate on the flow of the game and allow Reich to call the game. Reich did a great job in San Diego and there is no reason to think he would do worse here. DP is taking on too much and I feel it will be his downfall at some point. There is no reason to think he cannot talk to Wentz on the side lines to keep the two on the same page.

2 people like this

I need to let this out and i don't know where else to type it. Yell at me if you'd like. I see more and more articles surfacing lately basically saying Jenkins is going to be this year's Kaepernik. Not only do i disagree with the stance, i don't want our team getting that type of attention and i REALLY hate that the media is going to pick it up and hype it since it gave them clicks when reporting about Kap.They are actively trying to find a kap replacement to keep the narrative alive.

Just freaking play.

1 person likes this

We'll find out Stine. Doubt DP gives up his play calling duties. Players aren't the only ones watching tape, have heard DP critique his own performance. For his lack of experience in the role, he didn't really do too badly, actually liked some of the aggressiveness. Of course sometimes it's best to take the points! Was reading somewhere that 5 plays made the difference for an 11 or 12 win season - it's a game of inches.

2 people like this

Haven't seen that Swoop. Then again it's the OS and wouldn't have bothered reading the gossip columns.

2 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

We'll find out Stine. Doubt DP gives up his play calling duties. Players aren't the only ones watching tape, have heard DP critique his own performance. For his lack of experience in the role, he didn't really do too badly, actually liked some of the aggressiveness. Of course sometimes it's best to take the points! Was reading somewhere that 5 plays made the difference for an 11 or 12 win season - it's a game of inches.

I doubt he does too. Does not change how I think he should handle it though.

Doug is not passing off play calling duties and honestly doesn't bother me if he calls plays....Sure he had his problems as a rookie HC but was a learning exp. now if he doesn't improve in year 2 then might be calling for a new play caller...... 

Year 2 of Doug as a play caller should see a huge growth....A. his has a full season of exp. of calling plays under his belt now which is huge....B. He should have a better grasp of what his players strengths and weaknesses and just a better relationship with Wentz what he likes what he dislikes etc.. C. We have at least on paper right now a more complete O not limited by not having a true deep threat, we have a RBs that all effect the game in different ways, guys that can attack the D over the middle and on short passes etc.

1 person likes this

If the Eagles have little bit of luck our Cbs could be a solid unit this season......Robinson the old head if he stays healthy has shown he can be a solid starting CB in this league, Mills will hopefully show growth in year 2 was rated the worst CB last year so only way he can go is up, Rasul Douglas think could be a sleeper have a good year for us when given his chance.....Then some wild cards that I would not be shocked pushed for possible playing time Grymes and CJ Smith 

1 person likes this

Also believe if our DL can live up to the potential they have on paper is a HUGE help to our CBs.....A. pressure on QB will make them force things.....B. Less time CBs have to stay in coverage....C.if we are getting pressure with 4 guys means we have 7 guys dropping in coverage to which should also help with some mistakes by our CBs 

1 person likes this

He is not mentioned much but anyone think that Goode could possibly steal the WILL LB job????? Kendricks just doesn't seem to fit in this D think if Schwartz gave him a role could still be effective as a blitzer but still seems like he is on his way out the door..... Think in a perfect world Nate Gerry would get the nod to start but good chance he just isn't going to be ready year 1 might need to take pretty much a redshirt year backup/STer......At one point Goode seemed to be in line to get a serious role in our D(though under different HC) he has shown he is a decent coverage LB