Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[Spadaro] News And Notes As Training Camp Nears

72 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Year 2 of Doug as a play caller should see a huge growth....A. his has a full season of exp. of calling plays under his belt now which is huge....B. He should have a better grasp of what his players strengths and weaknesses and just a better relationship with Wentz what he likes what he dislikes etc.. C. We have at least on paper right now a more complete O not limited by not having a true deep threat, we have a RBs that all effect the game in different ways, guys that can attack the D over the middle and on short passes etc.

It is not the play calling I am concerned with really. Sure Doug will most likely do a fine job. But by placing all this responsibility of playing calls, it takes away from other aspects of the HC duties during the game: Time Management, situational decisions, and looking at what the other team is doing during the game so adjustments can be made. There is more too, but sometimes little details get missed when the HC is too busy trying to figure out the play and what to call next if there is a sack or a short yardage gain etc.... If Reich calls the plays, he could still be involved with basic offensive strategy, but can oversee much more and in better detail....

1 person likes this

Very well said, Stine. Great points.

7 hours ago, stine said:

I disagree. I think DP needs to concentrate on the flow of the game and allow Reich to call the game. Reich did a great job in San Diego and there is no reason to think he would do worse here. DP is taking on too much and I feel it will be his downfall at some point. There is no reason to think he cannot talk to Wentz on the side lines to keep the two on the same page.

Yep,same thing happened with Big Red. Remember? I do very well.  Reid started to shine when he handed over the keys to the play calling.

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

If the Eagles have little bit of luck our Cbs could be a solid unit this season......Robinson the old head if he stays healthy has shown he can be a solid starting CB in this league, Mills will hopefully show growth in year 2 was rated the worst CB last year so only way he can go is up, Rasul Douglas think could be a sleeper have a good year for us when given his chance.....Then some wild cards that I would not be shocked pushed for possible playing time Grymes and CJ Smith 

Even though Mills was rated at the bottom pf the pile he only surrendered 1 TD. I don't get that.

57 minutes ago, stine said:

It is not the play calling I am concerned with really. Sure Doug will most likely do a fine job. But by placing all this responsibility of playing calls, it takes away from other aspects of the HC duties during the game: Time Management, situational decisions, and looking at what the other team is doing during the game so adjustments can be made. There is more too, but sometimes little details get missed when the HC is too busy trying to figure out the play and what to call next if there is a sack or a short yardage gain etc.... If Reich calls the plays, he could still be involved with basic offensive strategy, but can oversee much more and in better detail....

Could be true but not like Doug is the first HC to ever call plays and plenty of HC have been successful while calling plays as well.....Personally feel most of Doug bad decision last year came from sheer lack of exp......

While I feel like Doug needs to hand off play calling duties at some I also feel that he needs the exp. As a play caller also...... Maybe just my thinking but how can u as the HC be trusted in situational play calls if you have never called plays in those situations???? 

5 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

He is not mentioned much but anyone think that Goode could possibly steal the WILL LB job????? Kendricks just doesn't seem to fit in this D think if Schwartz gave him a role could still be effective as a blitzer but still seems like he is on his way out the door..... Think in a perfect world Nate Gerry would get the nod to start but good chance he just isn't going to be ready year 1 might need to take pretty much a redshirt year backup/STer......At one point Goode seemed to be in line to get a serious role in our D(though under different HC) he has shown he is a decent coverage LB 

Not feeling Goode. Limited as an emergency or perhaps one game LB option at best. Strictly a STer in my eyes. Probably expendable. Gerry we got for coverage and as the Zekebuster(patent pending). A huge part of Kendricks problems(pretty much career long even) is he has been slow to learn and adjust to scheme/coaching changes. So year two you would expect a pretty huge uptick from a player like this. Most of the time our D only plays two LBs anyway. Very possible under certain circumstances we could see only one LB in more also. If we can get any kind of coverage on the backend it would allow to use Kendricks attacking the line of scrimmage more with his limited snaps anyway. That's where he'll succeed.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

If the Eagles have little bit of luck our Cbs could be a solid unit this season......Robinson the old head if he stays healthy has shown he can be a solid starting CB in this league, Mills will hopefully show growth in year 2 was rated the worst CB last year so only way he can go is up, Rasul Douglas think could be a sleeper have a good year for us when given his chance.....Then some wild cards that I would not be shocked pushed for possible playing time Grymes and CJ Smith 

I have no idea what you are thinking here? Nobody wanted Robinson. Mediocre even if he can stay healthy. Mills we need luck or something with. He was bad last year. He got owned and he took it. I respect that at least. He's limited is how I'd put it. Just not real good with having fluid hips. He needs to become a strong jammer at the line of scrimmage and play to that. He could be alright in off coverage also. But we have yet to see any thing like that so? I never heard one scout or anyone really say "Douglas could be ready year one." All that draft prep by everyone on these boards. To me the only options are to turn it over to Grymes and Smith. See what they are made of. Then my real optimism comes from that I believe Rosie is fully aware of the situation. So I believe we will trade for a corner. It's possible we could catch a find after the 53 man cut down day from somebody. But realistically we need to trade for a corner.

6 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Also believe if our DL can live up to the potential they have on paper is a HUGE help to our CBs.....A. pressure on QB will make them force things.....B. Less time CBs have to stay in coverage....C.if we are getting pressure with 4 guys means we have 7 guys dropping in coverage to which should also help with some mistakes by our CBs 

Tough call here. If you think division then....can the rook beat Trent Williams? Trent is in his prime years right now. Arguably the best T in the entire league. Can Barnett beat Tyron Smith? Man that's a really tough draw for a rookie.

That's four crucial games right there. Can our pass rush win the day at dallas or D.C.? Tough.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Tough call here. If you think division then....can the rook beat Trent Williams? Trent is in his prime years right now. Arguably the best T in the entire league. Can Barnett beat Tyron Smith? Man that's a really tough draw for a rookie.

That's four crucial games right there. Can our pass rush win the day at dallas or D.C.? Tough.

Not really a tough call an the rook beat Trent no clue but if Trent is stuck blocking him still have 3 other guys that can get the job done......Everything I have read also seems to be hinting at the fact Graham could be moving over to the RDE spot and I think he will give top LTs a great battle week in and week out...... 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I have no idea what you are thinking here? Nobody wanted Robinson. Mediocre even if he can stay healthy. Mills we need luck or something with. He was bad last year. He got owned and he took it. I respect that at least. He's limited is how I'd put it. Just not real good with having fluid hips. He needs to become a strong jammer at the line of scrimmage and play to that. He could be alright in off coverage also. But we have yet to see any thing like that so? I never heard one scout or anyone really say "Douglas could be ready year one." All that draft prep by everyone on these boards. To me the only options are to turn it over to Grymes and Smith. See what they are made of. Then my real optimism comes from that I believe Rosie is fully aware of the situation. So I believe we will trade for a corner. It's possible we could catch a find after the 53 man cut down day from somebody. But realistically we need to trade for a corner.

My thought process is simple bit of luck and development Eagles could field a decent CB unit this year not all that crazy if you think about it..... Mills had terrible moments no doubt rated as the worst CB by PFF so can only go upward at the same time he was a 7th rounder that was thrust into action to early and was matched up with teams best WRs a ton.....Robinson might not have wanted him but he has had success in the NFL was there a reason he got cut by Indy yes health but was also a reason he got a decent deal from them also and that was a very strong season in SD when healthy again not expecting a miracle and him to be a shut-down CB but can he be serviceable for a season while we wait on Jones not out of the realm..... Douglas who cares what scouts say you act like they are always right on everyone if he can play will we see that come camp/preseason if he isn't ready that will show also.....At the end of the day our secondary doesn't not have to be Seattle if they can be serviceable and our DL step up help them out we could be alright 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So I believe we will trade for a corner. It's possible we could catch a find after the 53 man cut down day from somebody. But realistically we need to trade for a corner.

Honestly don't agree much with this at all unless it is a great value trade in our favor...... Eagles have some good young talent that is who we should be banking on....We already strapped on cap adding another player a good CB will come at a big cost and honestly not worth losing assets over 

1 person likes this

Not feeling Goode. Limited as an emergency or perhaps one game LB option at best. Strictly a STer in my eyes. Probably expendable. Gerry we got for coverage and as the Zekebuster(patent pending). A huge part of Kendricks problems(pretty much career long even) is he has been slow to learn and adjust to scheme/coaching changes. So year two you would expect a pretty huge uptick from a player like this. Most of the time our D only plays two LBs anyway. Very possible under certain circumstances we could see only one LB in more also. If we can get any kind of coverage on the backend it would allow to use Kendricks attacking the line of scrimmage more with his limited snaps anyway. That's where he'll succeed.

Again idea world yes Gerry would be the guy but again good chance he isn't ready and Kendricks doesn't fit with Schwartz I know Kendricks strengths but he also has obvious weaknesses as well that being coverage skills....And also like you stated likely won't be in a ton of base looks so not heavily relying on Goode still think this season he could be our best option at WILL or even a rotation between him and Kendricks.....Goode is a far superior cover LB in my view 

1 person likes this

Even if Barrett or Curry or Long is lined up on the right side and are one on one with Williams/Tyron that is one guy out of the equation blocking....Can the rest of the OL hold up???? Jerrigan can he win 1 on 1 battles vs a G I think he will feast or are you going to double Jerrigan and leave Cox on a 1 on 1 matchup....On top of that we still have Graham who has shown he can be a disruptive player just needs to get home on some sacks he can win 1 on 1 battles.....The interior pass rush to me is going to be key to success this year if Jerrigan thrills in this D I don't know how you block him and Cox on the inside can only really double one of them at a time 

2 people like this

8 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I never heard one scout or anyone really say "Douglas could be ready year one."

Jeffery, unprompted, had this to say about Douglas, whom the Eagles seemingly have put on the fast track to start at a position of need after both starters from last season were not brought back: "I look for him to have, my prediction, is probably to say about three to five picks this year," Jeffery said. "I believe he can do that. Maybe more, we’ll see. The sky's the limit for him. He’s already pretty good. He’s going to be a good corner in this league. He’s just got to keep working, keep learning from what his coaches tell him.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/nfl/eagles/2017/06/16/alshon-jeffery-prediction-rasul-douglas/402742001/

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I know that these articles prove absolutely nothing,but they do help to lend a little insight. I am being cautiously optimistic and won't taken anything at face value until I see the team play,but it's a daily battle fighting with my high level of passion for the Eagles even after being stabbed in the heart for nearly 40 years.

http://www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/index.ssf/2017/05/philadelphia_eagles_defensive_1.html

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/7/10/15894284/eagles-pass-rush-philadelphia-jim-schwartz-fletcher-cox-brandon-graham-derek-barnett-timmy-jernigan

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Not really a tough call an the rook beat Trent no clue but if Trent is stuck blocking him still have 3 other guys that can get the job done......Everything I have read also seems to be hinting at the fact Graham could be moving over to the RDE spot and I think he will give top LTs a great battle week in and week out...... 

Cox is to be moved out to the edge sometimes too per Schwartz & DL Coach Chris Wilson's words.

7 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

My thought process is simple bit of luck and development Eagles could field a decent CB unit this year not all that crazy if you think about it..... Mills had terrible moments no doubt rated as the worst CB by PFF so can only go upward at the same time he was a 7th rounder that was thrust into action to early and was matched up with teams best WRs a ton.....Robinson might not have wanted him but he has had success in the NFL was there a reason he got cut by Indy yes health but was also a reason he got a decent deal from them also and that was a very strong season in SD when healthy again not expecting a miracle and him to be a shut-down CB but can he be serviceable for a season while we wait on Jones not out of the realm..... Douglas who cares what scouts say you act like they are always right on everyone if he can play will we see that come camp/preseason if he isn't ready that will show also.....At the end of the day our secondary doesn't not have to be Seattle if they can be serviceable and our DL step up help them out we could be alright 

11 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

No doubt we are weak at this position, but I think all can agree that we are much better than a year ago. I believe Grymes will win out one side and Douglas will either play slot or the other side. He will take his bumps, but I think he will also get his share of pass break ups and a few Int's.  After those two it is a toss up as to who we use at nickel and dime. Mills may take a step forward and be serviceable. Brooks may be able to handle the slot. At least we have hope as Jones will be here next year. Will we need to draft a CB in 2018? Maybe, but it should not be as crucial assuming Jones regains his form. Add to that the D-Line is stronger and deeper this year. Swartz should be able to play 2 lines and still maintain pressure on the QB. Sure other teams have a good LT, but with strength at all 4 positions, who do you double team?

2 people like this

Minor whispers of trying to sign Darrelle Revis.."bring him in, he can teach the newer guys"..blah blah blah.  I say, why don't we sign him - As a coach? The dude admitted last year that his body isn't holding up. He's gotta know it's coming to an end, so why not make bank by teaching the new generation? Admittedly, I know nothing about the guy as a person. He might be a jerk. lol

I hate to think it but i'm worried that our CB coach is equivalent to our previous WR coach.

1 person likes this

39 minutes ago, Swoopin' said:

Minor whispers of trying to sign Darrelle Revis.."bring him in, he can teach the newer guys"..blah blah blah.  I say, why don't we sign him - As a coach? The dude admitted last year that his body isn't holding up. He's gotta know it's coming to an end, so why not make bank by teaching the new generation? Admittedly, I know nothing about the guy as a person. He might be a jerk. lol

I hate to think it but i'm worried that our CB coach is equivalent to our previous WR coach.

Good point!  Maybe sign him to a 1 year deal and let him know that a coaching opportunity is available after.......

Thanks! Not entirely what i was suggesting though. Honestly, i don't want him here to play 1 year band-aid. Offer him to retire and become the CB coach. It's still a developmental year so let's develop. Take our 3rd R draft pick and get him coached up. Fine tune things with the other guys and also have Jones attached at the hip the entire time. Come next year - giddyup.

1 person likes this