Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Strong Offseason Puts Eagles In Contention

19 posts in this topic

As the Eagles gathered in the weeks following their January 1, 2016 season-ending victory over the Dallas Cowboys, they reviewed the previous season in every respect and then set their sights on improving the roster, building around franchise quarterback Carson Wentz and making sound football decisions ...

View the full article

Gonna wait to see them on the field first!

1 person likes this

It's going to be interesting to see how we can judge this tough schedule for this season and a few 1 yr deals when we dont know if they will be back. Besides that it will be nice to see the team take the needed steps forward and play the game smart.

1 person likes this

Not gonna get my hopes too high just yet, but the turnaround in the last 2 years has been very impressive. The future looks good and I'm cautiously optimistic for this season as well. There's definitely a lot more talent on this team than a year ago. What the FO was able to do with limited cap space was nothing short of amazing.

2 people like this

wentz
jeffery
smith
jmatt
sproles
blount
smallwood
pumphrey
ertz
celek
burton

and the o-line with johnson and peters on both ends

will be a force
to reckon with in 2017

goooo birds!

1 person likes this

After Chip destroyed the personnel of this team, I give major credit to how quickly the FO is trying to rebuild the team. They aren't dragging it out- they are trying as hard as they can to create a winning, championship team. This year's team isn't the finished product by any means, but the moves they have made are really solid ones. Kudo's for that thus far.

4 people like this

For the first time in many moons,we may actually have some semblance of a PASS RUSH

2 people like this

Well since I put the IT team on waivers not ONE call!!! So there you go!! HAHA(UGH).I dunno why everyone is so down on Blount.When we passed on a round 1 RB,I felt it was something we had to do.The "weird" one for me will be seeing what they do down in NO with Ingram and AP.pretty nice 1/2 punch.Upside to Blount for me is he can stay on the field ALL season which RMat always had trouble doing.So to me right there,that consistency will help Wentz as the year wears on(dude can BANG too!!)

2 people like this

Hey GB. Was thinking the other day how nice it would be to have 2 big backs. Imagine D's melting late in games. I know the new fangled RB's in the NFL are lightweight jitterbugs, still like good, hard, downhill running.

2 people like this

It would seem as if we were never allowed to comment on Spadaro's previous article, citing the D's front seven as possibly the NFL's best. Umm........on paper, we've seemingly improved, but let's not get ahead of ourselves! Remember how we felt about the DL same time last year? This last article strikes a much more realistic tone. As with everyone, can't wait! Also remember how we felt after starting 7-0 last year.......then the crash. Can Pederson adjust, as teams catch up?

Sorry, Dave - I was citing McPherson's article.

Hey GB. Was thinking the other day how nice it would be to have 2 big backs. Imagine D's melting late in games. I know the new fangled RB's in the NFL are lightweight jitterbugs, still like good, hard, downhill running.

MJK how you feeling now better.Not on here recently due a vast array of,well, lets call them "issues" to keep it clean

Dave, as usual a great article.
I am so excited to see this team on the field.
I am sure it will take some time to gel with the new players.
That's OK start out getting the plays right and finish strong.
Go Eagles.

MJK just out of curiosity and the consensus is RMat is gone,but what if we KEEP him???? Personally I don't see it,but there's your twin banger RB's.It would cause us to have to part with a younger player or I believe keeping him would be a possibility

It would seem as if we were never allowed to comment on Spadaro's previous article, citing the D's front seven as possibly the NFL's best. Umm........on paper, we've seemingly improved, but let's not get ahead of ourselves! Remember how we felt about the DL same time last year? This last article strikes a much more realistic tone. As with everyone, can't wait! Also remember how we felt after starting 7-0 last year.......then the crash. Can Pederson adjust, as teams catch up?

Liked Barwin alot(as a person) but he was not suited to this defense.Just replacing HIM had a huge effect.What slim news has come out indicates Barnett is the real deal.Looking forward immensely to seeing QB's on their backsides and Barnett forcing QB turnovers,so yeah I think I WILL get ahead of myself and say this is a much improved D line.BTW I didn't feel last year our D line was anything special.Should be a blast watching Barnett chasing Dak around in the backfield HAHA

Prediction(I rarely do this),but I predict Barnett will take Eli Manning OUT for the year.We've always seemed to have Eli's number,but this year we have the guys who can inflict damage,so there is my 1 prediction

Hope this D impresses.I can then name them the "Swoop Troop"

Hey GB - took a bit of a vaca from the boards myself as they weren't working, that and it was really hard to sit up! Physical therapy's helping but there still feels like there's an alien about to pop out back there.

As for RMat there are several factors. The obvious is his current injury along with his injury history. If we're making it out to be worse than it is, it's feasible to retain him at half his salary. He knows he'll be released otherwise and who's going to take him at full pay? Problem is we can only have so many weapons on the 53 between RB's and WR's and it usually varies as to where we keep the odd player. Due to contracts and players we're currently developing, thinking this yr we keep the extra WR.

Seems we're also developing a FB/OL option, which I've always been a proponent of. Who better as an extra blocker or someone to carry up the gut, maybe even catch a short ball?

I'm going with cautiously optimistic. Those of us who've been Eagles fans for a looooong time have seen this too many times.