Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Strong Offseason Puts Eagles In The Hunt

88 posts in this topic

As the Eagles gathered in the weeks following their January 1, 2016 season-ending victory over the Dallas Cowboys, they reviewed the previous season in every respect and then set their sights on improving the roster, building around franchise quarterback Carson Wentz and making sound football decisions ...

View the full article

Not trying to read to much into the off-season want to wait and see these guys play before crowning anything for us....

2 people like this

They had 4 major areas needing improvement, in my opinion: the WR and CB positions, the pass rush, and Wentz's play...especially at the end of close games. The WR position is much, much better. The pass rush will be too. The play of the CBs will certainly be better long term, and probably to some extent short term but it's less of a sure thing (as WR and the rush). The most important element, by far however, is how improved CW will be (again, particularly at crunch times in big games). If Carson had been able to make a few plays last year late in some of the six close losses we would've likely had ten wins. We are definitely a contender in the division if he starts doing that, but not much of one if he doesn't.

1 person likes this

They had 4 major areas needing improvement, in my opinion: the WR and CB positions, the pass rush, and Wentz's play...especially at the end of close games. The WR position is much, much better. The pass rush will be too. The play of the CBs will certainly be better long term, and probably to some extent short term but it's less of a sure thing (as WR and the rush). The most important element, by far however, is how improved CW will be (again, particularly at crunch times in big games). If Carson had been able to make a few plays last year late in some of the six close losses we would've likely had ten wins. We are definitely a contender in the division if he starts doing that, but not much of one if he doesn't.

This all comes down to health of the defense and Carson's advancement. If you consider our starting 11 on defense, CB's notwithstanding, we are solid up the middle and should generate enough pressure to cover for a below average CB staff. BUT our pass rush could be dominant and even an inadequate CB staff can't be exposed.

I think Carson is the real deal and I expect big things and him to take the next step with an improved receiving corps and an O line that can sustain injuries and still be .solid. Expectations need to be fulfilled though. I do give it much better than 50/50 odds that Carson will take the next step and show that drafting Goff first was a blunder and Dac is a fraud. I predict NFC East Champs for the Eagles and making noise in the playoffs. Good odds in Vegas for NFC Championship and Super Bowl win. I'll be betting on them.

2 people like this

Looking back at the six losses that could have been wins, if the defense had stepped up and stopped the Lions and the Cowboys after fumbles the Eagles would have won at least 2 0f those games.. It was more a matter of Pedersen and Schwartz not stepping up their game plan when turnovers happen. All of the weight of a successful should not be on Wentz totally, Pedersen and Scwartz also need to learn to use their personnel better.  Looking forward to the Eagles improving in every area of the game and having a dominant team that will make it to the playoffs.

3 people like this

This all comes down to health of the defense and Carson's advancement. If you consider our starting 11 on defense, CB's notwithstanding, we are solid up the middle and should generate enough pressure to cover for a below average CB staff. BUT our pass rush could be dominant and even an inadequate CB staff can't be exposed.

I think Carson is the real deal and I expect big things and him to take the next step with an improved receiving corps and an O line that can sustain injuries and still be .solid. Expectations need to be fulfilled though. I do give it much better than 50/50 odds that Carson will take the next step and show that drafting Goff first was a blunder and Dac is a fraud. I predict NFC East Champs for the Eagles and making noise in the playoffs. Good odds in Vegas for NFC Championship and Super Bowl win. I'll be betting on them.

I agree but I'm not convinced about Wentz at this point. I'm bothered by his inability last year to make plays with the game on the line. There were 7 close games and the only one he made any kind of play at the end was his TD run at the end of the Ravens game, but that was using his legs. He made zero plays with his arm in ANY of those games.

Interesting point from Lawlors' Jim Johnson article, that although there was a lot of player turnover, Johnson adjusted his scheme to the players he had, finding the best way to get them to attack offenses. Note - he adjusted his scheme. I've said for a while that Schwartz - although good - is too inflexible with his D, trying to get the players to fit his scheme but not adapting his scheme to fit a players' strengths. Inflexibility leeads to sub par performance.

See we have some newbies - welcome. It's the slow season, will heat up shortly.

4 people like this

I wanna see Celek used in the passing game much more this season. He still has juice in the tank and he's a great receiver and just bulls would-be tacklers over with his RAC!

3 people like this

MJK,I know exactly what you're talking about. Coach Johnson's use of Trotter is proof of how he adjusted his scheme to fit his players. And not just Trot,he put his entire platoon in position to succeed. And on that note,I'd like to see Kendricks used to his potential by Schwartz designing blitzes for him. He may not be in the Eagles' long term plans,but while/if Kendricks is here I want to see him and the rest of the D used to their max potential.

1 person likes this

On 7/15/2017 at 6:21 PM, Section8 said:

I agree but I'm not convinced about Wentz at this point. I'm bothered by his inability last year to make plays with the game on the line. There were 7 close games and the only one he made any kind of play at the end was his TD run at the end of the Ravens game, but that was using his legs. He made zero plays with his arm in ANY of those games.

Oh Wentz's fault? How about lackluster WR's and shaky play calls at inopportune times? Wentz is not the only one LEARNING here.It takes a team effort,so stop putting everything on Wentz.yes he is the field general,but how does a general win battles with no soldiers????

3 people like this

Interesting point from Lawlors' Jim Johnson article, that although there was a lot of player turnover, Johnson adjusted his scheme to the players he had, finding the best way to get them to attack offenses. Note - he adjusted his scheme. I've said for a while that Schwartz - although good - is too inflexible with his D, trying to get the players to fit his scheme but not adapting his scheme to fit a players' strengths. Inflexibility leeads to sub par performance.

In a way I disagree.Here is why.Schwartz had players that did not fit his scheme,but were still under contract.he used them as best he could.if he had changed things to suit those few players,then others would have become ineffective.I believe he chose "the lesser of 2 evils" and got a solid foundation on the scheme he wants.Now it appears those missing pieces are in place,so I really hope he does NOT adjust his scheme,but keep adding more effective players to play in it

3 people like this

8 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

In a way I disagree.Here is why.Schwartz had players that did not fit his scheme,but were still under contract.he used them as best he could.if he had changed things to suit those few players,then others would have become ineffective.I believe he chose "the lesser of 2 evils" and got a solid foundation on the scheme he wants.Now it appears those missing pieces are in place,so I really hope he does NOT adjust his scheme,but keep adding more effective players to play in it

Good point GBFL!

2 people like this

Looking back at the six losses that could have been wins, if the defense had stepped up and stopped the Lions and the Cowboys after fumbles the Eagles would have won at least 2 0f those games.. It was more a matter of Pedersen and Schwartz not stepping up their game plan when turnovers happen. All of the weight of a successful should not be on Wentz totally, Pedersen and Scwartz also need to learn to use their personnel better.  Looking forward to the Eagles improving in every area of the game and having a dominant team that will make it to the playoffs.

Also recall we went for it at times,when we had a FG kicker who could have made those kicks.As BB will tell you,when a game is close you take the POINTS.Suspect Ped has learned some things also because of it, and we should see a better performance on making bonehead calls

3 people like this

6 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

I also believe if there is an adjustment to be made,he will insert a players with different skills but who still works in the scheme.Things he can do such as put a faster CB on a faster WR,or a taller one vs a taller WR.A quicker LB or a brutal hitter depending on who we play.To me adjusting the scheme is not what is needed.Simply plug a different player into it if the ones you have seem ineffective in any given game.This is why I love the depth we didn't have before.Jim could not adjust because he didn't have those players with different skills.now he does(we THINK).So we shall see hoe it plays out

3 people like this

I found this article & just wanted to pass it on to the rest of the fans.

Why Eagles' Doug Pederson's 2017 training camp promises to be much different than most

PHILADELPHIA -- In some ways, Eagles training camp 2017 will be a relic to a bygone era in the NFL, but there will be a wrinkle that promises to be unlike any this team has seen in quite some time. Unlike most teams, Pederson's Eagles will hit for upwards of three days when the full squad reports to the NovaCare Complex on July 27 for training camp. However, this year for the first time, Pederson plans on splitting the various offensive and defensive units among the several practice fields with coordinators coaching the starters and position coaches and assistants spending time with the reserve groups. All in the name of development."You saw us split the field this spring," Pederson said following June's mandatory minicamp. "Which was new. and it helps develop our younger guys, and it helps develop our younger coaches. The coaching staffs are split, too..…………………Pederson's formulaic practice routine will be beneficial both for veterans to fine-tune under the watchful eyes of the likes of Pederson, offensive coordinator Frank Reich and defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, while not at the expense of young players expecting to contribute immediately such as rookies Rasul Douglas, Mack Hollins, Derek Barnett and others getting reps at the same time. The genesis of this new practice format came to Pederson in 2016, during his rookie season as a head coach.………"Just being able to work a third-down scenario or a red-zone scenario during the regular season, because those are critical areas that we need to get better at as a team. Third-down needs to get better on offense, we gotta get better in red zone. So my emphasis and focus was to do that, and it just carried over into the spring."………How well can they think when it's a 4th-down scenario in practice. Same for coaches. When we're working on 4th or 3rd down or red zone or two-point plays or whatever it might be in practice, competing there, it's fun for the guys. It takes the grind of practice away, and it makes it fun for them. "And it's just a short little blast. It's five or six plays."……………

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/07/why_eagles_doug_pedersons_2017_training_camp_promi.html

2 people like this

Why Eagles' Doug Pederson's 2017 training camp promises to be much different than most

PHILADELPHIA -- In some ways, Eagles training camp 2017 will be a relic to a bygone era in the NFL, but there will be a wrinkle that promises to be unlike any this team has seen in quite some time. Unlike most teams, Pederson's Eagles will hit for upwards of three days when the full squad reports to the NovaCare Complex on July 27 for training camp. However, this year for the first time, Pederson plans on splitting the various offensive and defensive units among the several practice fields with coordinators coaching the starters and position coaches and assistants spending time with the reserve groups. All in the name of development."You saw us split the field this spring," Pederson said following June's mandatory minicamp. "Which was new. and it helps develop our younger guys, and it helps develop our younger coaches. The coaching staffs are split, too.You saw us split the field this spring, which was new. and it helps develop our younger guys, and it helps develop our younger coaches. The coaching staffs are split, too.…………………Pederson's formulaic practice routine will be beneficial both for veterans to fine-tune under the watchful eyes of the likes of Pederson, offensive coordinator Frank Reich and defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, while not at the expense of young players expecting to contribute immediately such as rookies Rasul Douglas, Mack Hollins, Derek Barnett and others getting reps at the same time. The genesis of this new practice format came to Pederson in 2016, during his rookie season as a head coach.………"Just being able to work a third-down scenario or a red-zone scenario during the regular season, because those are critical areas that we need to get better at as a team. Third-down needs to get better on offense, we gotta get better in red zone. So my emphasis and focus was to do that, and it just carried over into the spring."………How well can they think when it's a 4th-down scenario in practice. Same for coaches. When we're working on 4th or 3rd down or red zone or two-point plays or whatever it might be in practice, competing there, it's fun for the guys. It takes the grind of practice away, and it makes it fun for them. "And it's just a short little blast. It's five or six plays."……………

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/07/why_eagles_doug_pedersons_2017_training_camp_promi.html

Excellent!!

2 people like this

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Excellent!!

I was still pondering this concept (Yes,I'm slow lol) and came to the conclusion-What a great way to get the young guys the same amount of reps as the starters and minimize the chances of distractions like having to stop and explain something to an inexperienced player while working on scheme and situational plans with the players that are up to speed. Should be a great camp! I'm so excited for Aug. 10th that I can barely contain myself. :drool:

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:21 PM, Section8 said:

you sound like A broken record....

2 people like this

11 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

I understand that line of thought, but I still feel Swartz came up short last year. You do not take your best play maker (Jenkins) and play him in against the slot receiver. He does so much that it takes away from his game and the defense. You need to use players to their strengths within your scheme, or you have to tweak it to best utilize the people you have. Belechick does it, Carrol does it as do all of the best coaching staffs. He has no excuses this year. Time to step up to the plate and do some damage....

1 person likes this

Wow, good thread going here. I think everyone's got some great points made on the defensive coaching style. I've said that i think Schwartz needed to incorporate flexibility and i still believe that, but last year (first year, new scheme to the team) may not have been the time for that. I understand the rationale for the Schwartz scheme, i mean if the front 4 are doing it then that gives us more defenders elsewhere. But that Lawlor article about Johnson seems to be spot on for me.

2 people like this

6 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Nice! Maybe our rookies won't be able to take out starters at the kneecap & ribs this year!

I like the back side (ahem) to that article as well. It's about the coaches learning what to do on 3rd and 4th. That means he's well aware in his self-analysis of what went wrong last year.

That article is not only encouraging but also surprising. Surprising because it's a "bygone relic". Maybe due to more and more teams not hitting during practice? I dunno, seems to make all the sense in the world to practice like this though.

2 people like this

Good Morning Swoop! One thing I firmly believe is that hitting in practice is necessary. This new trade agreement decreases the amount of days any coach can have the players "Go at it" and I feel corresponds to the increased amount of injuries we are seeing since. Granted, the players are much more athletic, but not hitting as much in pre-season has a big impact.... Glad Doug was implementing that and continuing it this year...

3 people like this