Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Strong Offseason Puts Eagles In The Hunt

Mornin'! :D

Here's an article dissecting PD's 4th & go-for-it playcalls. I think it's going to spark some healthy debate here.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/expect-doug-pederson-continue-be-aggressive-fourth-down/

It's interesting to see these in retrospective. It also says expect more of the same aggressiveness this year.

Huge mistake going for it beginning of the second qtr. 4th and 2 at the Giants 23. If they kick the FG there, they are only down 2 points at the end of the game and could have won it with a FG instead of going for it on a 4th down. What is also not mentioned was the play calls in Dallas of their first meeting. He was in FG position late in the game with a TD and conversion lead. They need to run it up the gut three times and kick the FG to place the game out of reach. Instead, sack, penalty and they are now out of FG range and have to punt. That series of calls also cost them a win....

I went to the Cowboys website and this incident of Elliott is not even on there. Funny how they choose what to post on their site and what to ignore..... I hope he gets 8 games, although he most likely will not get more than 4.... Total POS in my opinion.

Too many people saw him lift that girls' shirt during the parade - ok in a biker bar back in the day, not a good public image now. I've listened to him speak and he does not sound very mature. Maybe his mentor Irving will get his jaw wired shut in MMA, huge win as I cannot bare to listen to him.

'If we go 8-8, is that a successful year?” Pederson said.' I don’t coach to be average — I’ll tell you that.”

Gotta like that.

read where people are saying KGH is ready to take over for Kendricks should he get traded. Not sure how Kamu would do against the run (220 lbs.), but he should do fine against the pass. He was No. 3 in tackles on ST's last year..... He likes to get his pads dirty....

Just read an article on the EYE that points out we have 18 free agents in 2018. On top of that we have another 7 that may end up being Cap casualties (Including Peters, Kendricks, Kelce and Celek). So, looks like all had better play off their collective butts this year or we may see a completely different team next season....

I went to the Cowboys website and this incident of Elliott is not even on there. Funny how they choose what to post on their site and what to ignore..... I hope he gets 8 games, although he most likely will not get more than 4.... Total POS in my opinion.

I heard he wasn't even mentioned in a police report, so what happened?

4 hours ago, Swoopin' said:

Here's an article dissecting PD's 4th & go-for-it playcalls. I think it's going to spark some healthy debate here.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/expect-doug-pederson-continue-be-aggressive-fourth-down/

It's interesting to see these in retrospective. It also says expect more of the same aggressiveness this year.

Huge mistake going for it beginning of the second qtr. 4th and 2 at the Giants 23. If they kick the FG there, they are only down 2 points at the end of the game and could have won it with a FG instead of going for it on a 4th down. What is also not mentioned was the play calls in Dallas of their first meeting. He was in FG position late in the game with a TD and conversion lead. They need to run it up the gut three times and kick the FG to place the game out of reach. Instead, sack, penalty and they are now out of FG range and have to punt. That series of calls also cost them a win....

Yes Doug made his share of rookie mistakes too, and though I heard him say he still wants to be aggressive, I hope he tones it down in close games when you can get SOME points. The one game, he went for it 2x on 4th and short in fg range, and they lost that game by 1 point... that is pretty much a loss all on him. I hope he learns , guess we will see.

ahhhh!!!  get these eagles out of me!!! :o i mean one or two is no big deal...maybe even feels kinda good. :unsure:but this is too much!!!  ahhhh!!!!!  :meh:

22 hours ago, johnreaves said:
  On 7/15/2017 at 5:21 PM, Section8 said:

This all comes down to health of the defense and Carson's advancement. If you consider our starting 11 on defense, CB's notwithstanding, we are solid up the middle and should generate enough pressure to cover for a below average CB staff. BUT our pass rush could be dominant and even an inadequate CB staff can't be exposed.

I think Carson is the real deal and I expect big things and him to take the next step with an improved receiving corps and an O line that can sustain injuries and still be .solid. Expectations need to be fulfilled though. I do give it much better than 50/50 odds that Carson will take the next step and show that drafting Goff first was a blunder and Dac is a fraud. I predict NFC East Champs for the Eagles and making noise in the playoffs. Good odds in Vegas for NFC Championship and Super Bowl win. I'll be betting on them.

I agree but I'm not convinced about Wentz at this point. I'm bothered by his inability last year to make plays with the game on the line. There were 7 close games and the only one he made any kind of play at the end was his TD run at the end of the Ravens game, but that was using his legs. He made zero plays with his arm in ANY of those games.

you sound like A broken record....

how many drops, offsides, holding penalties... I watched every game a couple times, in general I would not put the losses on Carson. at least 2 games Coach blew.
Carson actually played pretty damn good but was shook when protection was poor(aka no lane johnson) No LJ effected the run game too, and made it tougher for Carson.
Biggest rookie mistake I think he got fixed, but on deep balls he was underestimating how fast DBs are in the NFL.

I could watch that one escape where he hits sproles on a broken play for a TD over and over, and not get tired of it... those are the kind of plays that spark enthusiasm in the hearts of fans like ME.

There was enough blame to go around last season. Don't forget, we were pretty one dimensional w/o a deep threat, Doug had to play call around that.

Another thing we need to remember as Eagles fans - learn from last yr, build on it and let it go. Onward to this yr.

On 7/17/2017 at 2:46 AM, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On 7/16/2017 at 8:03 PM, mjkline1958 said:

Interesting point from Lawlors' Jim Johnson article, that although there was a lot of player turnover, Johnson adjusted his scheme to the players he had, finding the best way to get them to attack offenses. Note - he adjusted his scheme. I've said for a while that Schwartz - although good - is too inflexible with his D, trying to get the players to fit his scheme but not adapting his scheme to fit a players' strengths. Inflexibility leeads to sub par performance.

See we have some newbies - welcome. It's the slow season, will heat up shortly.

In a way I disagree.Here is why.Schwartz had players that did not fit his scheme,but were still under contract.he used them as best he could.if he had changed things to suit those few players,then others would have become ineffective.I believe he chose "the lesser of 2 evils" and got a solid foundation on the scheme he wants.Now it appears those missing pieces are in place,so I really hope he does NOT adjust his scheme,but keep adding more effective players to play in it

I understand that line of thought, but I still feel Swartz came up short last year. You do not take your best play maker (Jenkins) and play him in against the slot receiver. He does so much that it takes away from his game and the defense. You need to use players to their strengths within your scheme, or you have to tweak it to best utilize the people you have. Belechick does it, Carrol does it as do all of the best coaching staffs. He has no excuses this year. Time to step up to the plate and do some damage....

Would it not depend on who the slot receiver was? Alot of teams do much damage from the slot spot.If that was their best player,see no reason not to put our best defender on him

On 7/17/2017 at 11:12 AM, stine said:
  On 7/17/2017 at 10:29 AM, Swoopin' said:

Yes Doug made his share of rookie mistakes too, and though I heard him say he still wants to be aggressive, I hope he tones it down in close games when you can get SOME points. The one game, he went for it 2x on 4th and short in fg range, and they lost that game by 1 point... that is pretty much a loss all on him. I hope he learns , guess we will see.

Agressive-if you have the tools-----Bonehead-if you dont have the tools and try it anyway.Shows confidence in his players,but if they do not suceed,it has to hurt them mentally in the future.Gotta pick thos "go for it's" a bit more carefully and weigh your optiions if you are no successful

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:22 AM, stine said:
  On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:46 AM, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:03 PM, mjkline1958 said:

Interesting point from Lawlors' Jim Johnson article, that although there was a lot of player turnover, Johnson adjusted his scheme to the players he had, finding the best way to get them to attack offenses. Note - he adjusted his scheme. I've said for a while that Schwartz - although good - is too inflexible with his D, trying to get the players to fit his scheme but not adapting his scheme to fit a players' strengths. Inflexibility leeads to sub par performance.

In a way I disagree.Here is why.Schwartz had players that did not fit his scheme,but were still under contract.he used them as best he could.if he had changed things to suit those few players,then others would have become ineffective.I believe he chose "the lesser of 2 evils" and got a solid foundation on the scheme he wants.Now it appears those missing pieces are in place,so I really hope he does NOT adjust his scheme,but keep adding more effective players to play in it

I understand that line of thought, but I still feel Swartz came up short last year. You do not take your best play maker (Jenkins) and play him in against the slot receiver. He does so much that it takes away from his game and the defense. You need to use players to their strengths within your scheme, or you have to tweak it to best utilize the people you have. Belechick does it, Carrol does it as do all of the best coaching staffs. He has no excuses this year. Time to step up to the plate and do some damage....

Would it not depend on who the slot receiver was? Alot of teams do much damage from the slot spot.If that was their best player,see no reason not to put our best defender on him

But Jenkins is not our best defender. He is our best Safety and is much more effective acting as such. When he played his position the defense was much more effective. When he played against the slot receiver, the defense was not as effective. Sure, he had a pick or so, but overall the defense suffered. There were a few plays where he completely fooled the QB. He madea move in one direction than sprinted in another which completely caught the QB by surprise and ended in a INT. This is what he does. He gets into the QB's head and makes it easier for the defense.

On 7/17/2017 at 7:22 AM, stine said:

Just saying that maybe you want a new twin turbo Corvette,but you can't have one.How do you get one? You sell what you have,get something better and keep working and trading up until you get the one you want.IMO works the same on football teams.Barring hitting the lottery(and assuming you have reached your job/income potential),your strategy(scheme) did not change,you merely kept at it until the goal was reached.So that is how I see Schwartz's approach.The FO did a stellar job in FA and the draft.to buy that "next model" UP and I'd like to see that continue

16 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On 7/17/2017 at 7:22 AM, stine said:

But Jenkins is not our best defender. He is our best Safety and is much more effective acting as such. When he played his position the defense was much more effective. When he played against the slot receiver, the defense was not as effective. Sure, he had a pick or so, but overall the defense suffered. There were a few plays where he completely fooled the QB. He madea move in one direction than sprinted in another which completely caught the QB by surprise and ended in a INT. This is what he does. He gets into the QB's head and makes it easier for the defense.

Not gonna argue as to who the best defender is,just posting that he was put on the slot receiver for a reason.I don;t think we put him there just to put him there,so that was a coaching decision even if they fans didn't agree with it.Schwartz had few tools to work with last year.Maybe we are not a top 10 secondary yet,but I am sure we will be better than last year

54 minutes ago, stine said:
  1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:22 AM, stine said:
  On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:46 AM, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:03 PM, mjkline1958 said:

Not gonna argue as to who the best defender is,just posting that he was put on the slot receiver for a reason.I don;t think we put him there just to put him there,so that was a coaching decision even if they fans didn't agree with it.Schwartz had few tools to work with last year.Maybe we are not a top 10 secondary yet,but I am sure we will be better than last year

Point taken. I am one who thought it was a mistake on Swartz's part. If Jenkins was a above average CB that is where he would be playing as they are the hardest to field. It is much easier to get an above average Safety. So, do you put an excellent Safety to play as a average CB or find an average CB to play and keep him as an excellent Safety. Hey, it will not be the last time we disagree my friend. We may both be right to a degree......

On 7/17/2017 at 7:16 AM, stine said:
  On 7/16/2017 at 4:47 PM, johnreaves said:
  On 7/15/2017 at 6:21 PM, Section8 said:

This all comes down to health of the defense and Carson's advancement. If you consider our starting 11 on defense, CB's notwithstanding, we are solid up the middle and should generate enough pressure to cover for a below average CB staff. BUT our pass rush could be dominant and even an inadequate CB staff can't be exposed.

I think Carson is the real deal and I expect big things and him to take the next step with an improved receiving corps and an O line that can sustain injuries and still be .solid. Expectations need to be fulfilled though. I do give it much better than 50/50 odds that Carson will take the next step and show that drafting Goff first was a blunder and Dac is a fraud. I predict NFC East Champs for the Eagles and making noise in the playoffs. Good odds in Vegas for NFC Championship and Super Bowl win. I'll be betting on them.

I agree but I'm not convinced about Wentz at this point. I'm bothered by his inability last year to make plays with the game on the line. There were 7 close games and the only one he made any kind of play at the end was his TD run at the end of the Ravens game, but that was using his legs. He made zero plays with his arm in ANY of those games.

you sound like A broken record....

how many drops, offsides, holding penalties... I watched every game a couple times, in general I would not put the losses on Carson. at least 2 games Coach blew.
Carson actually played pretty damn good but was shook when protection was poor(aka no lane johnson) No LJ effected the run game too, and made it tougher for Carson.
Biggest rookie mistake I think he got fixed, but on deep balls he was underestimating how fast DBs are in the NFL.

I could watch that one escape where he hits sproles on a broken play for a TD over and over, and not get tired of it... those are the kind of plays that spark enthusiasm in the hearts of fans like ME.

He did play pretty well, but not at the end of ANY of the (many) close games. Not one. What makes an elite QB is how he plays when the chips are on the line. The drops, penalties, offsides didn't prevent them from being there late in the Lions, first Dallas, first Giants, or either Redskins games...and if you look back none of those things occurred late in any of those games.

I'm not down on the guy, he was only a rookie, but he was awful last year in crunch time. Awful. I am a broken record, and I'll keep saying it. Wentz needs to make plays at the end of close games, which he didn't do at all in 7 opportunities. His numbers were terrible last year but that's not what mattered most, and if they improve but his ability to make plays to win close games doesn't it doesn't matter.

The Eagles were in the hunt last year at 3-0 and even at 5-2 (following a 1-point loss at Detroit and a 7-point one in DC). The two close losses at Dallas and NY in games eight and nine still didn't completely eliminate us from the hunt but being 0-4 in close games at that point left little margin for error. If we go 2-2 in those games (to be 7-4 instead of 5-6 at that point) changes the picture a great deal.

Personally John, I could care less what you say. Frankly I am tired of hearing it. He has done OK to date with what he had to work with. He now has the horses and no excuses. So let us forget last year and see what happens this year. I am confident all will be pleased. Even you!!