Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Strong Offseason Puts Eagles In The Hunt

I respect BOTH of you guys a great deal! I think the picture of Carson is somewhere in between. I still think he has the poise and intelligence to be "Peytonesque" quite soon - I love his ability to read the game situation, and of course he has a ways to go in execution, but with an improved offense and loosening of the coaching reins, we long suffering Eagles fans should hardly believe our luck in landing a potentially elite QB. Even right this minute, I wouldn't trade him, one for one, with ANY QB in the NFL, except MAYBE Aaron Rodgers.

14 minutes ago, Eaglesoldtimer said:

I respect BOTH of you guys a great deal! I think the picture of Carson is somewhere in between. I still think he has the poise and intelligence to be "Peytonesque" quite soon - I love his ability to read the game situation, and of course he has a ways to go in execution, but with an improved offense and loosening of the coaching reins, we long suffering Eagles fans should hardly believe our luck in landing a potentially elite QB. Even right this minute, I wouldn't trade him, one for one, with ANY QB in the NFL, except MAYBE Aaron Rodgers.

And specifically in the NFC East, we have (aging) Eli, (distracted) Cousins, (privileged) Dak and Wentz.  Of those QBs, I share your opinion that I would take Wentz hands down.  I believe that the long suffering we Eagles fans have endured is coming to an end.  I am excited to sit back and watch a championship unfurl (maybe not this year but soon)!  Go Eagles! Eagle_smiley.jpg

The team is headed in the right direction. So refreshing to hear that. Finally. But my expectations are for improvement. 9-7 seems right. Next season they should also continue moving in the right direction. I believe year three the can actually win the NFC East.

16 hours ago, Eaglesoldtimer said:

What we need is for TC to start. We have dissected this team until all has been discussed numerous times now. Tired of going over the same stuff!  We need the pads on and the hitting to begin!!

man ain't that the truth!

Really excited envisioning our O line vs D line practices. I think the trenches are ours this year.

Been so boring seeing posts regarding next yrs' draft for a few weeks now. Sometimes no news during the OS is good news.

Been so boring seeing posts regarding next yrs' draft for a few weeks now. Sometimes no news during the OS is good news.

I'd change the sometimes to usually at this time of the year.

Look at all those N.E. bandwagons across the country.

Also, really hope Lynch fails miserably.  lol

5507_Top_Selling_Jerseys_BIG_FOOTER.jpg

Trent Williams did very well versus the older slower vet pass rushers in Trent Cole and then Connor Barwin. Is he ready for the quickness,bend/dip of the rookie? I think Barnett can abuse him. Not just beat him once. But show how Williams can't bend and reach like that. Prove that his signature pass rush move coincides with Williams biggest weakness. The rookie is going to eat!

What is going on with Alterraun Verner? He was a very good corner with Tenn. Seemed like he went to TB more for the huge money contract than for scheme wise fit. I never thought he was worth that price tag. But I don't think he is as bad as things went down the last two seasons.

On 7/18/2017 at 4:38 PM, GreenLup said:

And specifically in the NFC East, we have (aging) Eli, (distracted) Cousins, (privileged) Dak and Wentz.  Of those QBs, I share your opinion that I would take Wentz hands down.  I believe that the long suffering we Eagles fans have endured is coming to an end.  I am excited to sit back and watch a championship unfurl (maybe not this year but soon)!  Go Eagles! Eagle_smiley.jpg

I would take it a thousand steps further and say that I would take Wentz over any other player. He hasn't proven it yet but that's how high I believe his ceiling is. And I believe he's going to reach a fair amount of his potential.

15 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

That's really interesting, nice find! Maybe a year too early like the article says but maybe they think Douglas and XYZ (1 of 10 other guys)  can handle it on the season with Jones being expected next season. I could see Mills being a quality backup safety. I didn't know he sometimes played S in college. The flipside to that would be to read into it and see that the Eagles don't see Mills being any better than last year, which would be disappointing.

But before getting too ahead of ourselves, we need to get the CB situation figured out this year. I'm not gonna claim none of them are worth a damn until I see them play but it's going to be a bad sign if there's a constant rotation - that means there's no standout that's worth a damn.

16 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

That's really interesting, nice find! Maybe a year too early like the article says but maybe they think Douglas and XYZ (1 of 10 other guys)  can handle it on the season with Jones being expected next season. I could see Mills being a quality backup safety. I didn't know he sometimes played S in college. The flipside to that would be to read into it and see that the Eagles don't see Mills being any better than last year, which would be disappointing.

But before getting too ahead of ourselves, we need to get the CB situation figured out this year. I'm not gonna claim none of them are worth a damn until I see them play but it's going to be a bad sign if there's a constant rotation - that means there's no standout that's worth a damn.

I still say Grymes will start and perform well...

I think there's a good chance you're right! Next to Douglas? Right now i think many assume it's Mills & Robinson with Douglas working his way into it by year's end, which is also a big possibility. But the Grymes scenario is very believable.

Cunningham, how's it going? I hope the rookie creates a challenge; even a problem for Trent Williams and for Tyson Smith. Smith and Williams are arguably the best two LTs in the entire NFL. Smith simply MAULS defensive linemen. Williams is not far behind Smith.

Anyone know if the Chargers CB's are good to average? I ask because Mike Williams is most likely out for the season and we have Nelson Agholar. I won't even mention the more likely alternative because i like JMatt too much.

Did you guys see the ESPN article about the top 10 QBs since 1978? I love to debate these things. Absolutely pointless but fun. Their list: 1) Brady; 2) Manning; 3) Montana; 4) Elway; 5) Rodgers; 6) Marino; 7) Favre; 8) Young; 9) Brees; 10) Fouts. Elway doesn't even belong in the top 10 let alone to be 4. He had so many games where his defense kept him in games and he played well for one or two drives to help them win. Not an alltime great in my book. Rodgers over Favre? Interesting.
Brady is a deserving 1, but my list would be 1) Marino - the guy was SO amazing to watch in his prime. Unbelievable release and did it with mediocre WRs at best. 2) Young - has to be the most accurate QB to ever play and a phenomenal athlete with the brains to go with it. 3) Brady, because he has all the rings 4) Manning - you just knew the guy would figure out a way to beat you no matter what in his prime. 5) Montana - because of his rings. He didn't play in the cap era. His TEAM was really, really good. 6) Favre - he was a playmaker. And could anyone throw a ball harder than Favre? 7) Rodgers - he scares a defense now as much as any QB. 8) Fouts - the guy did a LOT with a mediocre TEAM. Offense was designed to throw and he was the right guy to make it happen. 9) Brees - outperformed everyone's expectation. 10) Roesthisberger (however you spell his name) - nobody can tackle him and he ALWAYS has the Steelers in the hunt.

On 7/18/2017 at 4:17 PM, Eaglesoldtimer said:

What we need is for TC to start. We have dissected this team until all has been discussed numerous times now. Tired of going over the same stuff!  We need the pads on and the hitting to begin!!

Yeppers,won't be long now till we know what we actually have here

16 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

Did you guys see the ESPN article about the top 10 QBs since 1978? I love to debate these things. Absolutely pointless but fun. Their list: 1) Brady; 2) Manning; 3) Montana; 4) Elway; 5) Rodgers; 6) Marino; 7) Favre; 8) Young; 9) Brees; 10) Fouts. Elway doesn't even belong in the top 10 let alone to be 4. He had so many games where his defense kept him in games and he played well for one or two drives to help them win. Not an alltime great in my book. Rodgers over Favre? Interesting.
Brady is a deserving 1, but my list would be 1) Marino - the guy was SO amazing to watch in his prime. Unbelievable release and did it with mediocre WRs at best. 2) Young - has to be the most accurate QB to ever play and a phenomenal athlete with the brains to go with it. 3) Brady, because he has all the rings 4) Manning - you just knew the guy would figure out a way to beat you no matter what in his prime. 5) Montana - because of his rings. He didn't play in the cap era. His TEAM was really, really good. 6) Favre - he was a playmaker. And could anyone throw a ball harder than Favre? 7) Rodgers - he scares a defense now as much as any QB. 8) Fouts - the guy did a LOT with a mediocre TEAM. Offense was designed to throw and he was the right guy to make it happen. 9) Brees - outperformed everyone's expectation. 10) Roesthisberger (however you spell his name) - nobody can tackle him and he ALWAYS has the Steelers in the hunt.

Tough to grade QBs in different eras but #1 spot on ESPN list is have to agree with.....Tom is the best all that man does is win and not like he was ever on super stacked teams either 

On 7/18/2017 at 11:34 AM, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On 7/18/2017 at 11:25 AM, stine said:
  On 7/18/2017 at 11:15 AM, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On 7/17/2017 at 7:22 AM, stine said:
  On 7/17/2017 at 2:46 AM, GreenbleedinFL said:
  On 7/16/2017 at 8:03 PM, mjkline1958 said:

Interesting point from Lawlors' Jim Johnson article, that although there was a lot of player turnover, Johnson adjusted his scheme to the players he had, finding the best way to get them to attack offenses. Note - he adjusted his scheme. I've said for a while that Schwartz - although good - is too inflexible with his D, trying to get the players to fit his scheme but not adapting his scheme to fit a players' strengths. Inflexibility leeads to sub par performance.

See we have some newbies - welcome. It's the slow season, will heat up shortly.

In a way I disagree.Here is why.Schwartz had players that did not fit his scheme,but were still under contract.he used them as best he could.if he had changed things to suit those few players,then others would have become ineffective.I believe he chose "the lesser of 2 evils" and got a solid foundation on the scheme he wants.Now it appears those missing pieces are in place,so I really hope he does NOT adjust his scheme,but keep adding more effective players to play in it

I understand that line of thought, but I still feel Swartz came up short last year. You do not take your best play maker (Jenkins) and play him in against the slot receiver. He does so much that it takes away from his game and the defense. You need to use players to their strengths within your scheme, or you have to tweak it to best utilize the people you have. Belechick does it, Carrol does it as do all of the best coaching staffs. He has no excuses this year. Time to step up to the plate and do some damage....

Would it not depend on who the slot receiver was? Alot of teams do much damage from the slot spot.If that was their best player,see no reason not to put our best defender on him

But Jenkins is not our best defender. He is our best Safety and is much more effective acting as such. When he played his position the defense was much more effective. When he played against the slot receiver, the defense was not as effective. Sure, he had a pick or so, but overall the defense suffered. There were a few plays where he completely fooled the QB. He madea move in one direction than sprinted in another which completely caught the QB by surprise and ended in a INT. This is what he does. He gets into the QB's head and makes it easier for the defense.

Not gonna argue as to who the best defender is,just posting that he was put on the slot receiver for a reason.I don;t think we put him there just to put him there,so that was a coaching decision even if they fans didn't agree with it.Schwartz had few tools to work with last year.Maybe we are not a top 10 secondary yet,but I am sure we will be better than last year

Point taken. I am one who thought it was a mistake on Swartz's part. If Jenkins was a above average CB that is where he would be playing as they are the hardest to field. It is much easier to get an above average Safety. So, do you put an excellent Safety to play as a average CB or find an average CB to play and keep him as an excellent Safety. Hey, it will not be the last time we disagree my friend. We may both be right to a degree......

Well,possibly we don't disagree at all.But also possibly he was the only one capable of slot coverage.It was a tough year for our secondary because we had no real playmakers,just "adequate"(and this could be argued as well lol),so Schwartz faced putting him on as a deep CB,but maybe doing that would have allowed slot receivers to roam free in our already iffy secondary.I'm sure all the choices were weighed and once again taking the "lesser of 2 evils"

On 7/18/2017 at 4:17 PM, Eaglesoldtimer said:

Amen to this post!!! Wentz is even going unclaimed in fantasy.Fine by my I'll snag him as my BU and possible starter depending who we play.Fantasy dudes are also not drafting Alshon early either.Another ok by me,I'll take him as my WR #3 all day.Blout also being written off,so I will stock my bench with Philly players lol

The team is headed in the right direction. So refreshing to hear that. Finally. But my expectations are for improvement. 9-7 seems right. Next season they should also continue moving in the right direction. I believe year three the can actually win the NFC East.

Hi dark.I guess I am a bit more optomistic this year than I have been.I'm looking for 10 wins and a serious run next year('18) when we finally have Jones in our secondary and these offensive guys have gelled(assuming we keep most of them).Barnett will make a difference right away and in '18 he will have a years experience in and of course the 3rd year break out for Wentz happens in '18. Let's FLY

32 minutes ago, senhorcook said:

Tough to grade QBs in different eras but #1 spot on ESPN list is have to agree with.....Tom is the best all that man does is win and not like he was ever on super stacked teams either 

Really,different rules through the decades makes it tough to compare.Same with all skill positions,but gotta say I enjoyed watching alot of QB's play.Marino's fake spike TD still stands out.He was my former GF's cousin,so I got to see him sometimes at family re-unions and such.great guy!!!! Loved watching Jaws play too for us and the little QB for the Vikes(senior moment can't re-call his name lol) The guy that ran around in the backfield for 30 yards HAHA