Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveSpadaro

[News] Strong Offseason Puts Eagles In The Hunt

88 posts in this topic

Still feel like our CBs could surprise some this year.....Only take a guy or 2 to step up and this unit is drastically improved from a year ago.....

Douglas- I am expecting a rookie year from ups and downs but I think toward the end of the season we could see a guy that is worthy of a starting job and if he gets the playing time would not be shocked to see Alshon prediction of 3-5 picks come true for him

Mills-Still feel like Mills best spot will be in the slot but for us to move him there will need another CB to step up to take the outside job...He really only can go up from last year and personally I have high hopes for Mills...Even if he is a slot CB in today's NFL it is a must have 

Robinson- The vet none of us really wanted not expecting some magical turnaround in his career but if he can be serviceable starter while wait for Jones alright or possibly just provide depth...

Sleepers- Grymes seems to be the guy everyone is talking about and deserving picked up where he left off last off-season but another CB I think could possibly push for playing time is CJ Smith who spent time on our active roster last year and has been given some praise by some of our players 

2 people like this

Interested in White here.Was on the Grey Cup champ team up north as CFL fields are harder to cover than the NFL,although the talent is better here.So we shall see if he can make a splash

Tarkenton was fun to watch too.

1 person likes this

Grymes? Hope you are right. I don't see it. Doesn't have the size or speed to play thug Dez, OJduechbag, or Pryor. WRs in the CFL are not near the athletes playing in the NFL. If he is the best of this bunch, it is going to be a LONG year for this defense. BG93, you have spoken highly of CJ Smith for awhile now. What do you like about him so much? I simply don't know nor have I seen enough film on him to make an opinion.

Thing with Grymes is that thus far he's been able to keep up and do well / stand out in OTA's. I get it, OTA's.. but it's the rationale for some hope! :) Agreed completely that CFL does not = NFL but there are aspects to it that could be beneficial experience. Every bit helps i guess. Let's see what's for real in the coming weeks!

3 people like this

1 hour ago, senhorcook said:

Did you guys see the ESPN article about the top 10 QBs since 1978? I love to debate these things. Absolutely pointless but fun. Their list: 1) Brady; 2) Manning; 3) Montana; 4) Elway; 5) Rodgers; 6) Marino; 7) Favre; 8) Young; 9) Brees; 10) Fouts. Elway doesn't even belong in the top 10 let alone to be 4. He had so many games where his defense kept him in games and he played well for one or two drives to help them win. Not an alltime great in my book. Rodgers over Favre? Interesting.
Brady is a deserving 1, but my list would be 1) Marino - the guy was SO amazing to watch in his prime. Unbelievable release and did it with mediocre WRs at best. 2) Young - has to be the most accurate QB to ever play and a phenomenal athlete with the brains to go with it. 3) Brady, because he has all the rings 4) Manning - you just knew the guy would figure out a way to beat you no matter what in his prime. 5) Montana - because of his rings. He didn't play in the cap era. His TEAM was really, really good. 6) Favre - he was a playmaker. And could anyone throw a ball harder than Favre? 7) Rodgers - he scares a defense now as much as any QB. 8) Fouts - the guy did a LOT with a mediocre TEAM. Offense was designed to throw and he was the right guy to make it happen. 9) Brees - outperformed everyone's expectation. 10) Roesthisberger (however you spell his name) - nobody can tackle him and he ALWAYS has the Steelers in the hunt.

I would switch 2 and 3 and replace #10 with Roger Staubach. His last year was 1979 and as much as I dislike the Cowboys I had to respect this dude. Roesthisberger does not have the stats the others do/did. He did have the Rings but not sure he gets in the top 10....Take that back!  Did not realize he passed for over 46,000 yards!!  OK put him at 10 lol 

Grymes? Hope you are right. I don't see it. Doesn't have the size or speed to play thug Dez, OJduechbag, or Pryor. WRs in the CFL are not near the athletes playing in the NFL. If he is the best of this bunch, it is going to be a LONG year for this defense. BG93, you have spoken highly of CJ Smith for awhile now. What do you like about him so much? I simply don't know nor have I seen enough film on him to make an opinion.

Welp, Jeffrey says he is gonna do well. Also he liked Douglas....

1 person likes this

59 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Fran Tarkenton- life is tough with 1 brain cell HAHA

He did not play after 1978.... His last year was 1978 so not sure they included him.....

Everyone escaping the heat? Hope you all are doing well. Good to hear from Cookie and a few newbies - must be close to camp - Sun for the rooks, Wed for the Vets.

I'm still a Montana guy. Maybe it was the times or being in my youth. Bill Walsh changing the game vs Bellichik. Hey - you could hit a WR back then!

Liked Tark as well Stine - the 1st true scrambler, although he was running for his life half the time, not to try to gain yrds.

As for CB, well the entire team actually, falling back on Bud & Lou - we'll see what we see when we see it. Personally I thought we were a playoff team last yr, the diff being a handful of plays went/called wrong. The CB position is already better, that's not saying much. Jenkins will have to cover yet again and deserves a bonus, the guy does above and beyond. Healthy old timers at several positions will determine this season.

Bring on camp! I'm still out of the area but will check all the usual outlets for clips.

1 person likes this

Gurls bring in Durant off his suspension. Hey Dullass - OJ's available!

2 people like this

23 hours ago, senhorcook said:

Watching him last off-season thought he was one of our more physical CBs would go up to the line and press guys and stuck with them.....I think he fits this D and what Scwartz wants to do....

1 person likes this