SBorBust

Reuben Foster

Recommended Posts

It's going to be interesting to follow this guy's career. He was the dream of almost every fake armchair scout on these boards (including myself) until injury concerns pushed him down the draft.

The 49ers expect him to be ready for training camp.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/14/49ers-reuben-foster-poised-for-camp-battle/amp/

Will he become this decade's Earl Thomas? Will Derek Barnett dominate and make us forget about Foster? Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not just injury issues, there's more to it than that.  LINK  He failed a drug test at the combine so he's already on the monitoring program. He's been involved in some altercations....

He has talent on the field. Can he overcome everything else to succeed? That's the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never bought into his hype on the field either. They said he is has good instincts but, can't read a playbook and can't read what an offense is doing. He basically has to figure out what the offense is doing after the snap then hope his instincts lead him to make the right play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The interesting thing about this is that people really don't want teams to reach.  If the Eagles drafted him at 14, since we have the benefit of hindsight, wouldn't it be a reach since he went at 31?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I never bought into his hype on the field either. They said he is has good instincts but, can't read a playbook and can't read what an offense is doing. He basically has to figure out what the offense is doing after the snap then hope his instincts lead him to make the right play

The more I heard about him the more red flags I heard about.  I got the impression from some that he had these great highlight reel hits that would get fans excited but when it came down to Xs and Os coaches didn't like him as much. After the initial hype I ended up feeling there was no way he was worth #14 if he was a MLB that didn't call the defense and had all the off the field/medical flags.  I'm no expert and I've been known to be wrong but I'm happy with the way things turned out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, toolg said:

Not just injury issues, there's more to it than that.  LINK  He failed a drug test at the combine so he's already on the monitoring program. He's been involved in some altercations....

He has talent on the field. Can he overcome everything else to succeed? That's the question.

I wonder how he slipped by Jerry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RPeeteRules said:

The interesting thing about this is that people really don't want teams to reach.  If the Eagles drafted him at 14, since we have the benefit of hindsight, wouldn't it be a reach since he went at 31?

IF the medical red flags were overblown, Foster slipping to 31 has more to do with the incompetence of 75% of the NFL's decision makers than anything else.

I'm in no way down on Barnett. He's the guy I wanted the Eagles to draft. I'm just interested to follow Foster's career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2017 at 0:35 PM, bwestbrook36 said:

I never bought into his hype on the field either. They said he is has good instincts but, can't read a playbook and can't read what an offense is doing. He basically has to figure out what the offense is doing after the snap then hope his instincts lead him to make the right play

Im sorry man but foster is a beast. I have no clue where you are getting this from. The 49ers got a top 5 pick at 31.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SBorBust said:

IF the medical red flags were overblown, Foster slipping to 31 has more to do with the incompetence of 75% of the NFL's decision makers than anything else.

I'm in no way down on Barnett. He's the guy I wanted the Eagles to draft. I'm just interested to follow Foster's career.

Yeah these guys are nuts. Suddenly foster sucks? Yeah i dont buy it. Hes a beast and nfl execs over think stuff all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bobbywizdum said:

Im sorry man but foster is a beast. I have no clue where you are getting this from. The 49ers got a top 5 pick at 31.

Until he plays a down he is not a beast. Also there is articles all over talking about his lack of understanding plays and reading what the offense is doing. He very well could be great he has the physical ability but, that doesn't mean anything if he doesn't know how to use it. He wasn't picked till 31 for a reason maybe they were all wrong but, the red flags are still there till he proves them wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foster is going to be an animal, I'm pretty sure people were saying the exact same things about Vontaze Burfict at one point. His failed urine sample wasn't a true failure, it was diluted. And he explained it was diluted because he had recently been sick or something and had been heavily hydrating. Never failed a drug test and never had any drug related problems, but one diluted sample and people lose their minds. I am also going to follow his career closely, loved watching him at Bama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SBorBust said:

IF the medical red flags were overblown, Foster slipping to 31 has more to do with the incompetence of 75% of the NFL's decision makers than anything else.

I'm in no way down on Barnett. He's the guy I wanted the Eagles to draft. I'm just interested to follow Foster's career.

I agree, I too like and wanted Foster.  But knowing where he ended up, it would've been a reach to take him at 14.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a raw talent he's an exciting prospect. He's got the tools to be a dominant force in the NFL. 

But he's got injury concerns, he had that failed drugs test and I do worry sometimes about the longevity of Bama players to stay healthy in the league.

I think ultimately the Niners did a brilliant job to move back up in to the first and get him. As a talent he's a mid first round guy but those other issues rightly moved him down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RPeeteRules said:

I agree, I too like and wanted Foster.  But knowing where he ended up, it would've been a reach to take him at 14.

I've always viewed reaches in terms of talent/projections. Like a guy is projected to go in the second/third round and someone picks him up in the first. So in this case Foster was a projected top 10 pick (based off performance) who fell for a shoulder issue and I guess football IQ. At this point we have to wait and see if he is going to be a steal or not. But based on my opinion of a reach he wouldn't have fit the bill at 14.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said it prior to the draft, I believe he is going to be the MLB version of Randy Moss.  An all time great that a lot of teams are going to regret on passing on due to apparent "character" issues.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2017 at 11:35 AM, bwestbrook36 said:

I never bought into his hype on the field either. They said he is has good instincts but, can't read a playbook and can't read what an offense is doing. He basically has to figure out what the offense is doing after the snap then hope his instincts lead him to make the right play

So.... LaVar Arrington

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I said it prior to the draft, I believe he is going to be the MLB version of Randy Moss.  An all time great that a lot of teams are going to regret on passing on due to apparent "character" issues.  

I think he had the potential ... but potential will not get him far .  He has bust written all over him and everything he owns 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2017 at 2:54 PM, BDAWK_4EVER said:

Foster is going to be an animal, I'm pretty sure people were saying the exact same things about Vontaze Burfict at one point. His failed urine sample wasn't a true failure, it was diluted. And he explained it was diluted because he had recently been sick or something and had been heavily hydrating. Never failed a drug test and never had any drug related problems, but one diluted sample and people lose their minds. I am also going to follow his career closely, loved watching him at Bama.

1

Where there is smoke there is fire .....  Its funny how many people dont understand what a diluted test usually means ... Then they defend  and even argue with others that  do know.  Truth always comes out .   

 

 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905735/article/reuben-foster-arrested-for-possession-of-marijuana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NE.Jon said:

Where there is smoke there is fire .....  Its funny how many people dont understand what a diluted test usually means ... Then they defend  and even argue with others that  do know.  Truth always comes out .   

 

 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905735/article/reuben-foster-arrested-for-possession-of-marijuana

You and me both called bust on Foster. Not a done deal but, it's a start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the comment in the article that this is the second time he has been arrested this offseason....and here it is a week after the Super Bowl.  Lots of time left in the off season for another arrest.  I wonder what the record is (for arrests in a single offseason)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now