VaBeach_Eagle

Ezekiel Elliott Suspended for 6 games

Okay I have been seeing a ton of people saying you guys think he gets an appeal and it just ends up going to next year where he will eventually serve his suspension....  Well...  That's not likely to be the case...

He has 24 hours to file an appeal to the 2nd circuit and request a hearing.  There is 3 things about this...

1.)  He may not even get the hearing in time which means he is likely to miss the KC game regardless of the result

2.)  It is the same court that ruled in favor of the league in the Brady case last year

3.)  Appeals are very hard to win.  Zekes chances are near zero.

So yes...  Zeke is suspended and I would say there is a 98% chance he serves all 6 games starting this week.

4 minutes ago, o0OMorrisO0o said:

Okay I have been seeing a ton of people saying you guys think he gets an appeal and it just ends up going to next year where he will eventually serve his suspension....  Well...  That's not likely to be the case...

He has 24 hours to file an appeal to the 2nd circuit and request a hearing.  There is 3 things about this...

1.)  He may not even get the hearing in time which means he is likely to miss the KC game regardless of the result

2.)  It is the same court that ruled in favor of the league in the Brady case last year

3.)  Appeals are very hard to win.  Zekes chances are near zero.

So yes...  Zeke is suspended and I would say there is a 98% chance he serves all 6 games starting this week.

1.  Court can stay the suspension in advance of the hearing.  This is one purpose of the 24hr hold. 

2.  Same court doesn't mean same judge/panel.  Not like supreme court. 

3.  This case hasn't been heard on the merits yet and a federal judge has already called the NFL's reading of Brady II "just plain wrong."  The procedural issues may shake out and mean zeke sits a bit, but the NFLPA has shown a reasonable chance of success.  The NFL is reading Brady II to mean that the NFL's process doesn't need to be fundamentally fair.  That has not been decided by the second circuit.  Initial signs suggest the court doesn't agree with the NFL on this. 

One interesting outcome is that Zeke could be denied the preliminary injunction and then eventually on the merits, having served the suspension.  The entire situation is a mess, but its an interesting issue from the collective bargaining perspective.  And not to split hairs but it isn't that Zeke only has 24 hours to file an appeal.  The judge denied the request for an injunction, but stayed that ruling for 24 hours to give Zeke time.  He can petition the 2nd circuit for an emergency hearing, or ask for a stay in advance of the hearing.  The judge's order departs from other rulings, like brady I and starcaps, and says that missed games do not constitute irreparable harm.  That's a tough sell.  It's not just game checks, its stats, it affects future contracts, playoff berths and a chance to seek a championship, etc. Not a lost cause to get that reversed. 

Sure, it's likely that Zeke misses time.  But its not 98%, and its not near zero.  It's not even an appeal on the merits yet, the case has not been heard or briefed.  Not over by a long shot, and your read on the procedure isn't spot on.

4 minutes ago, AllHailDawk said:

1.  Court can stay the suspension in advance of the hearing.  This is one purpose of the 24hr hold. 

2.  Same court doesn't mean same judge/panel.  Not like supreme court. 

3.  This case hasn't been heard on the merits yet and a federal judge has already called the NFL's reading of Brady II "just plain wrong."  The procedural issues may shake out and mean zeke sits a bit, but the NFLPA has shown a reasonable chance of success.  The NFL is reading Brady II to mean that the NFL's process doesn't need to be fundamentally fair.  That has not been decided by the second circuit.  Initial signs suggest the court doesn't agree with the NFL on this. 

One interesting outcome is that Zeke could be denied the preliminary injunction and then eventually on the merits, having served the suspension.  The entire situation is a mess, but its an interesting issue from the collective bargaining perspective.  And not to split hairs but it isn't that Zeke only has 24 hours to file an appeal.  The judge denied the request for an injunction, but stayed that ruling for 24 hours to give Zeke time.  He can petition the 2nd circuit for an emergency hearing, or ask for a stay in advance of the hearing.  The judge's order departs from other rulings, like brady I and starcaps, and says that missed games do not constitute irreparable harm.  That's a tough sell.  It's not just game checks, its stats, it affects future contracts, playoff berths and a chance to seek a championship, etc. Not a lost cause to get that reversed. 

Sure, it's likely that Zeke misses time.  But its not 98%, and its not near zero.  It's not even an appeal on the merits yet, the case has not been heard or briefed.  Not over by a long shot, and your read on the procedure isn't spot on.

We will have to agree to disagree.  Zeke is almost out of options and his chances are slim.  Also...  Many "Lawyers" have said the same thing I have said.  So go fight with them and get back to me...lol  I didn't say it was impossible.  I just said what is the truth... Its unlikely he plays any of the next 6 games.  

6 hours ago, o0OMorrisO0o said:

We will have to agree to disagree.  Zeke is almost out of options and his chances are slim.  Also...  Many "Lawyers" have said the same thing I have said.  So go fight with them and get back to me...lol  I didn't say it was impossible.  I just said what is the truth... Its unlikely he plays any of the next 6 games.  

No need to get defensive. It's a discussion board. Not fighting with anyone, I'm having a discussion. And you didn't just say that you said what you did, that it's 98% and that he has 24 hrs. Just trying to set th record straight and provide some clarity. Relax man

Is it just me or does 6 games seem pretty lenient? I'd say a season-long suspension is more appropriate

Also, if a video of the DV manages to surface (a la Ray Rice) would EE's career be over? There are rumors out there that such a video exists

11 minutes ago, DJax4lyfe said:

Is it just me or does 6 games seem pretty lenient? I'd say a season-long suspension is more appropriate

I'm not an expert on these things. 6 games seems right. The league can pretty much do what it wants, and there is no rhyme or reason for the punishment they hand out.

11 minutes ago, DJax4lyfe said:

Also, if a video of the DV manages to surface (a la Ray Rice) would EE's career be over? There are rumors out there that such a video exists

No. The reason why Ray Rice's career is over is because he sucks. Guys like Elliott and Mixon can play because they're still good players.

This warms my black heart

1 hour ago, DJax4lyfe said:

I wonder if all the poor zeke supporters would still be slamming the league if this video comes out. Ive always known this wasnt a witch hunt. Its why jerry is suddenly trying to rally owners to remove goodell. Dallas drafted a guy with heavy baggage at pick 4 and its coming to light. I agree with you. The six games is only the beginning for zeke.

So how much more appealing can Elliot realistically do?  It feels like at this point no one is siding with him in that the NFL wasn't fair in it's ruling.  The ruling in itself is another debate, but the way the CBA is laid out that they didn't violate anything so it sounds like he is screwed.  I can see a lock-out shortened season coming up during the next set of negotiations in 2020.

1 hour ago, paco said:

This warms my black heart

the force, strong within you it is, young Skywalker

1 hour ago, bobbywizdum said:

I wonder if all the poor zeke supporters would still be slamming the league if this video comes out. Ive always known this wasnt a witch hunt. Its why jerry is suddenly trying to rally owners to remove goodell. Dallas drafted a guy with heavy baggage at pick 4 and its coming to light. I agree with you. The six games is only the beginning for zeke.

lol, do a google search on there even being a rumor of a Zeke "Ray Rice style video" and nothing comes up....don't need to make ish up

I actually hope he ends up serving the suspension over the course of this season and next. Would be perfect lol

6 hours ago, AllHailDawk said:

No need to get defensive. It's a discussion board. Not fighting with anyone, I'm having a discussion. And you didn't just say that you said what you did, that it's 98% and that he has 24 hrs. Just trying to set th record straight and provide some clarity. Relax man

He could argue that only 6 in 200 cases last year got a hearing at this level of court that Elliot wishes to persue, which actually would make a 97% chance that Elliot doesn't get a hearing.

3 hours ago, Stephen1 said:

lol, do a google search on there even being a rumor of a Zeke "Ray Rice style video" and nothing comes up....don't need to make ish up

Assuming that when all is said and done, Elliott will serve the full 6 game suspension, would you rather it happen now, or next season?

If I were a Cowboy fan, or if it was a key player for the Eagles and we were in the Cowboys exact position right now, I think I'd rather it happen now. Of course, the real preference would be that it happened during the first 6 games of the season and he'd be back for the final 10 games to make a run.

Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Assuming that when all is said and done, Elliott will serve the full 6 game suspension, would you rather it happen now, or next season?

If I were a Cowboy fan, or if it was a key player for the Eagles and we were in the Cowboys exact position right now, I think I'd rather it happen now. Of course, the real preference would be that it happened during the first 6 games of the season and he'd be back for the final 10 games to make a run.

In some sense it would be worse now for the Cowboys as they don't have the time to get a backup up to speed unlike for the first 6 games of next season.

6 hours ago, DJax4lyfe said:

Not saying there is a video or anything, but a video may ground EE for longer due to outside pressure from a disgusted NFL fanbase. 

Just now, mihailo said:

In some sense it would be worse now for the Cowboys as they don't have the time to get a backup up to speed unlike for the first 6 games of next season.

Yes, but if you feel like this season isn't one in which you'll will make the playoffs, then you cut your losses now and ride it out. They still have a good QB, a good WR and a good TE and their RB's without Elliott are serviceable.

10 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yes, but if you feel like this season isn't one in which you'll will make the playoffs, then you cut your losses now and ride it out. They still have a good QB, a good WR and a good TE and their RB's without Elliott are serviceable.

4-3 is not end of the season imo. They likely won't win the division, but they may be able to get a wildcard. 

Id say put him on the comish list if they try to apeal again  and it could turn into a way longer suspension , as he would be suspended until the hearing , then still have to serve 6 games.  Would be karma for trying to beat GODwells  rule 

2 hours ago, mihailo said:

4-3 is not end of the season imo. They likely won't win the division, but they may be able to get a wildcard. 

Who is their Wildcard competition though? That's not to say that winning the division is out of the question, anything can happen over the course of 8 games.