VaBeach_Eagle

Ezekiel Elliott Suspended for 6 games

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, gch said:

You even have an eagles player siding with Zeke and Jerry Jones now. Jenkins. 

So in this case, Jenkins is also wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Stephen1 said:

oh yeah, I agree the NFL has a right to suspend him, I actually think he deserved a couple games for conduct detrimental to the NFL, and though I think they made a mistake by suspending him for DV and labeling it a DV suspension, in the end, he will serve the 6 games.

but you said any average Joe would be in jail. 1st off, even a average Joe wouldn't get jail time for a 1st offense 99.9% of the time, they'd do what Jalen Mills did, agree to go to counseling (he was also forced to pay her medical bills) and the charges would be dropped,   but considering he was never charged, nobody in his situation would ever go to jail, it's legally impossible. 

I never said that. You're confusing me with someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No surprise , Zekes lawyers want to try and settle case  . I thought he was 100% innocent  and thats what he was fighting for ?   

 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21296616/lawyers-dallas-cowboys-rb-ezekiel-elliott-trying-settle-case-nfl

 

  • While Ezekiel Elliott continues to insist that he is fighting for his name, his attorneys have attempted to settle his case with the NFL and have the Dallas Cowboys running back's six-game suspension reduced, a source close to the situation told ESPN.

Cowboys' Elliott granted stay, can play Sunday

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has granted a request for an administrative stay to the NFLPA on behalf of Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott.

 

It's unclear how many games they have proposed to the NFL, but neither the league nor the NFLPA intends to settle this case and have Elliott's suspension reduced at this time, sources said.

Elliott received a six-game suspension on Aug. 11 for a violation of the NFL's personal conduct policy related to domestic violence allegations by a former girlfriend. He was never charged with a crime by the Columbus, Ohio, authorities who investigated the allegations.

On Friday, the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals granted a request for an administrative stay to the NFL Players Association on Elliott's behalf.

The decision means Elliott's six-game suspension is on hold once again and he will play Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs. The 2nd Circuit said its brief order does not constitute a resolution on the merits of the court case.

A panel of federal judges will convene this week to hear Elliott's request for an injunction that would overturn Judge Katherine Polk Failla's ruling from Monday.

Elliott could still start serving the suspension as early as this week if the ruling is not in his favor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2017 at 10:43 AM, NE.Jon said:

No surprise , Zekes lawyers want to try and settle case  . I thought he was 100% innocent  and thats what he was fighting for ?   

 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21296616/lawyers-dallas-cowboys-rb-ezekiel-elliott-trying-settle-case-nfl

 

  • While Ezekiel Elliott continues to insist that he is fighting for his name, his attorneys have attempted to settle his case with the NFL and have the Dallas Cowboys running back's six-game suspension reduced, a source close to the situation told ESPN.

Cowboys' Elliott granted stay, can play Sunday

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has granted a request for an administrative stay to the NFLPA on behalf of Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott.

 

It's unclear how many games they have proposed to the NFL, but neither the league nor the NFLPA intends to settle this case and have Elliott's suspension reduced at this time, sources said.

Elliott received a six-game suspension on Aug. 11 for a violation of the NFL's personal conduct policy related to domestic violence allegations by a former girlfriend. He was never charged with a crime by the Columbus, Ohio, authorities who investigated the allegations.

On Friday, the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals granted a request for an administrative stay to the NFL Players Association on Elliott's behalf.

The decision means Elliott's six-game suspension is on hold once again and he will play Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs. The 2nd Circuit said its brief order does not constitute a resolution on the merits of the court case.

A panel of federal judges will convene this week to hear Elliott's request for an injunction that would overturn Judge Katherine Polk Failla's ruling from Monday.

Elliott could still start serving the suspension as early as this week if the ruling is not in his favor.

If he knows legally he has no leg to stand on (and he doesn't) I don't see taking a reduced suspension as a sign of admitting guilt...unless he admits guilt as part of it.....then I'd think the NFL was soft for not sticking with 6. But there have been a few reports like this out there already and were false, so who knows.

i just don't know why the NFL would agree to it...they have the leverage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

If he knows legally he has no leg to stand on (and he doesn't) I don't see taking a reduced suspension as a sign of admitting guilt...unless he admits guilt as part of it.....then I'd think the NFL was soft for not sticking with 6. But there have been a few reports like this out there already and were false, so who knows.

i just don't know why the NFL would agree to it...they have the leverage. 

the NFL wouldnt and wont , thats why it looks bad now for Zeke 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow, Tomorrow,

I love ya' Tomorrow, You're only a day away.

 

Suspension will come, Tomorrow,

Bet your bottom dollar that Tomorrow, Zeke is done.

 

Just thinkin' about Tomorrow,

Clears away bad Cowboys and their sorrow,

Till there's none.

 

When Goodell gets his way,

Zeke's day is lonely,

Roger'll stick out his chin, and grin, and sayyyyyy, Ohhhhh,

 

You're going away Tomorrow, 

6 full game checks gone after Tomorrow, This is Fun.

 

Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I love ya' Tomorrow,

The Ewok's not allowed to play....

 

Image result for ewok gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on what I have read and heard, I think he will argue that the stay should be in place until the 3 judge panel can make a decision.  Thus it sounds like he will play on Sunday and then sometime next week they will give their ruling.  If they rule against his stay, then he will begin his suspension next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PhillyDan1969 said:

Based on what I have read and heard, I think he will argue that the stay should be in place until the 3 judge panel can make a decision.  Thus it sounds like he will play on Sunday and then sometime next week they will give their ruling.  If they rule against his stay, then he will begin his suspension next week.

And if so, his next game would still be against the Eagles, only at the Linc in the regular season finale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the rub for the NFL however...if Zeke Elliott is able to convince the court that he should be allowed to play this year while the decision is made in Federal Court, then it will be black eye number 2 for the NFL.  Goodell is now in a power fight with Jerrah was well.  Things looking tough for the commish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, if the court ruling comes out against Elliott today, will the suspension be reinstated immediately or will they allow him to play this week?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

So, if the court ruling comes out against Elliott today, will the suspension be reinstated immediately or will they allow him to play this week?

 

should be immediate  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NE.Jon said:

 

should be immediate  

That's what I think too, but in the past the NFL has generally held off activation of suspensions after Wednesdays, I believe. In this case though, the team has had ample time to prepare for the possibility.

Not that I think a decision is necessarily going to come down this week... or have they said that they would rule today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

That's what I think too, but in the past the NFL has generally held off activation of suspensions after Wednesdays, I believe. In this case though, the team has had ample time to prepare for the possibility.

Not that I think a decision is necessarily going to come down this week... or have they said that they would rule today?

they have not said rather it will come down today or next week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m picking up Alfred Morris on my fantasy team rn. I swear NFL if I have to drop him one more time...:chair:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Northern Green Wings said:

So is he able to appeal any more or is this finally it?  Forget if he is guilty or not, how many times can one fail an appeal before you aren't allowed to anymore.  This is getting ridiculous on every level.

Yes, this just denies the emergency injunction while the appeal is going forward.

So the suspension can go forward, but if the appeal were heard tomorrow and decided in his favor, he would again be unsuspended.

That's obviously not going to happen, but if the appeal is expedited and heard within a few weeks, he could have the rest of the suspension nullified, if it comes out in his favor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ezekiel Elliott suspension back on after injunction denied

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000874433/article/federal-court-denies-ezekiel-elliotts-emergency-injunction

The U.S. Second Circuit Court of Appeals on Thursday denied Ezekiel Elliott's and the NFLPA's request for an injunction pending appeal in Elliott's case.

The Cowboys running back is set to begin serving his six-game suspension this Sunday against the Falcons, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports.

The decision almost certainly keeps Elliott off the field for the next six games. Elliott currently is not eligible to play until Week 16 against the Seattle Seahawks on Dec. 24.

The 2nd Circuit denied the injunction request after hearing oral arguments from both union and NFL lawyers during a hearing in New York on Thursday, which Elliott attended. The three-judge panel's decision allows the league to enforce the suspension until a ruling is made in the NFLPA's case, according NFL Network legal analyst Gabe Feldman. The court says the appeal will be heard on an expedited appeal.

The NFLPA can appeal the ruling, but its chances for success are slim, Feldman said. The union can pursue a full-panel rehearing -- also known as a rehearing en banc -- with the 2nd Circuit. Appellate courts, however, rarely grant full-court rehearings. The union also could petition the U.S. Supreme Court to hear the case, but it would be "a long shot" for the highest court in the country to accept it, Feldman said.

The decision to not grant a preliminary injunction comes after a lower court denied the same request last month, reinstating Elliott's suspension briefly before a stay was issued by the 2nd Circuit.

There have been five court hearings in the case since early September. A U.S. District Court judge in Texas initially put the suspension on hold before it was reinstated by the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The suit then moved to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York -- the NFL's preferred venue based mostly on the favorable precedent established there by the Tom Brady Deflategate case. A judge reinstated Elliott's eligibility for two games before another judge's ruling suspended Elliott again, prompting the union's appeal to the 2nd Circuit.

Until today's ruling, the second-year running back hasn't missed a game this season for the Cowboys. Elliott, who tallied a league-best 1,631 rushing yards en route to a First Team All-Pro selection as a rookie, sits second in NFL rushing this season with 783 yards. He's tied with Todd Gurley for most rushing touchdowns (7) in 2017.

Unless his lawyers can get the suspension put on hold again, Elliott will miss games against the Falcons, Philadelphia Eagles, Los Angeles Chargers, Washington Redskins, New York Giants and Oakland Raiders.

Elliott was suspended by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in August following a year-long investigation into domestic violence allegations made by Tiffany Thompson, his former girlfriend. The league concluded he violated its personal conduct policy, which mandates a six-game suspension for first-time domestic violence violations. Elliott, 22, was never charged and has denied wrongdoing.

"This is bigger than a suspension, this is bigger than football," Elliott told NFL Network's Jane Slater and other reporters last week. "It's them trying to make something that I'm not. I'm not an abuser, that's not who I am. This is my name, this is my reputation, something that I'll have to live with beyond football. So every day is worth fighting."

The NFLPA's lawsuit, which was filed on the same day Elliott's appeal before a league-appointed arbitrator ended, doesn't try to undermine the factual conclusions from the NFL's investigation -- it challenges the process the league undertook to suspend Elliott, Feldman said. The NFL wants to enforce Elliott's suspension this season and confirm Goodell's authority to issue punishment based on "conduct detrimental" to the league as mandated in Article 46 of the collective bargaining agreement.

It's virtually the same argument the NFL deployed in ultimately successful appeals against Brady during Deflategate and Adrian Peterson after he pleaded no contest to misdemeanor reckless assault.

Unlike the Brady case, it appears the NFL's quest to enforce Elliott's suspension will be realized this season rather than next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yes, this just denies the emergency injunction while the appeal is going forward.

So the suspension can go forward, but if the appeal were heard tomorrow and decided in his favor, he would again be unsuspended.

That's obviously not going to happen, but if the appeal is expedited and heard within a few weeks, he could have the rest of the suspension nullified, if it comes out in his favor.

I feel after 3 failed attempts, that he has little ground to stand on in this situation.  Whether he is guilty or not, if 3 different boards haven't found a reason yet to deny his suspension, I doubt it will change anything else moving forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now