VaBeach_Eagle

Ezekiel Elliott Suspended for 6 games

I'm hesitant to think of this as anything more than drama at the moment. He wasn't brought up on charges. There was no evidence found in the police investigation and yet the NFL suspended him for 6 games. Unless he doesn't appeal, I would expect this to be put on hold and it to go through the courts again and likely be overturned.

On the NFL network they sound like someone just died, they are speaking in somber tones. "This affects America's Favorite team"

6 games is a lot, and he hasn't officially been charged with anything.  He will appeal and probably win.

But the NFL is in a tough position lol.

Of all the sports leagues right now, they look like they are harbouring a league of thugs.  Most of the times you here of troubles its the NFL players.  They definitely need to hand out harsher punishments and make them stick.  I think that's why they gave 6 games, as opposed to 4 or 2.  To try to send a message to the league of "STOP."  Hitting players in their wallets is one method.

But I don't see how this is going to stick as it doesn't look like they have a lot of basis/evidence.

But I hope it does cause F Dallas 

The standard of proof that must be met to impose administrative punishment is "more likely than not" that he violated the League's Personal Conduct policy (not the law per se.) That's anything above 50% that he did it. Based on what I heard on NFLN, there appears to be more than enough to suspend him. Might it be reduced? maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The NFL Network is supposed to show last night's Eagle's Game, at 4:00.  I hope they don't preempt it for breaking coverage of this National tragedy. 

From Bleacher report:

"Darren McFadden, Ronnie Hillman and Alfred Morris should all battle for playing time with Elliott out, providing more than enough depth to keep the offense running smoothly. With one of the top offensive lines in football, any of these men should be able to put up big numbers in the starter's absence."

Really.  Just plug and play these guys for Elliot...

Cowboys play Giants, Cards, Broncos and Packers over the first 6 games.

That is some quality stuff they are smoking over there at Bleacher Report.

9 minutes ago, Northern Green Wings said:

6 games is a lot, and he hasn't officially been charged with anything.  He will appeal and probably win.

But the NFL is in a tough position lol.

Of all the sports leagues right now, they look like they are harbouring a league of thugs.  Most of the times you here of troubles its the NFL players.  They definitely need to hand out harsher punishments and make them stick.  I think that's why they gave 6 games, as opposed to 4 or 2.  To try to send a message to the league of "STOP."  Hitting players in their wallets is one method.

But I don't see how this is going to stick as it doesn't look like they have a lot of basis/evidence.

But I hope it does cause F Dallas 

We don't know what evidence they have. That's the whole point. Just because the police didn't pursue the case, that doesn't mean there wasn't evidence something more likely than not happened. This isn't a court of law -- a preponderance of the evidence is enough. 

Everyone crying over a suspension based solely on an accusation needs to calm down -- it was leaked that the NFL had evidence from its own investigation. If they do, and they also consider his pattern of behavior, then this isn't getting reduced. Elliot's own camp had a chance to respond to the NFL in detail already, and the league still went with 6 games.

1 minute ago, vikas83 said:

We don't know what evidence they have. That's the whole point. Just because the police didn't pursue the case, that doesn't mean there wasn't evidence something more likely than not happened. This isn't a court of law -- a preponderance of the evidence is enough. 

Everyone crying over a suspension based solely on an accusation needs to calm down -- it was leaked that the NFL had evidence from its own investigation. If they do, and they also consider his pattern of behavior, then this isn't getting reduced. Elliot's own camp had a chance to respond to the NFL in detail already, and the league still went with 6 games.

Well not that I want to defend Elliot.. but 6 games is a lot when he hasn't been charged with anything.  We've seen players get suspended for less when they've been charged.  I do hope it sticks, to send a message to the rest of the NFL that this sort of behaviour isn't allowed.

5 minutes ago, Northern Green Wings said:

Well not that I want to defend Elliot.. but 6 games is a lot when he hasn't been charged with anything.  We've seen players get suspended for less when they've been charged.  I do hope it sticks, to send a message to the rest of the NFL that this sort of behaviour isn't allowed.

I thought for domestic violence 6 games was supposed to be the new standard?

If it's true that he assaulted this woman 5 times in a 1 week period, 6 games is a very light punishment. If there's evidence to support that claim, it probably should have been for the full season.

21 minutes ago, boogyman said:

I thought for domestic violence 6 games was supposed to be the new standard?

Maybe it is?  Honestly I don't know anymore, the NFL seems to hand out punishments as they see fit and don't follow any logic or scale.  Hopefully that changes (including this) and they'll clean up their act.

But I can still see this getting appealed down.

http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/08/11/report-nfl-says-ezekiel-elliott-attacked-girlfriend-3-times-have-photos-to-prove-it/

INCIDENT #1 

On July 17th, the NFL says Elliott attacked Thompson at the Canvasback Lane apartments in Columbus, Ohio.

"You used physical force that caused injuries to Ms. Thompson’s arms, neck and shoulders.”

INCIDENT #2 

On July 19th, the NFL says there was another altercation at the Canvasback Lane apartments.

"You used physical force that caused injuries to Ms. Thompson’s face, arms, wrists and hands.”

INCIDENT #3 

On July 21st, the NFL says there was a 3rd incident at the Canvasback Lane apartments.

"You used physical force that caused injuries to Ms. Thompson’s face, neck, arms knee and hips.”

The league says it went to prosecutors to find out why Elliott was not charged with a crime. They were told, "We never concluded that she was lying to us … we generally believed her for all of the incidents.” 

Jerry Jones reportedly "furious” with Elliott suspension

For months, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has insisted that running back Ezekiel Elliott wouldn’t face any punishment from the league for the domestic violence incident last summer.

And now that Elliott has been suspended six games, he’s not pleased.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Jones is reportedly "furious” with the league’s decision.

What he does about it is another question. If anything, the league is accustomed to powerful owners having a beef with the league, based on the chill between commissioner Roger Goodell and Patriots owner Robert Kraft following their Deflategate penalties.

Goodell has always contended there was no tension, though Kraft’s own words and actions suggest otherwise.

27 minutes ago, McnabbsPHIeagles said:

Really interested in seeing how Dak plays without Elliott being the focus 

Probably like the 7th best QB in the 2016 draft.

Although it is true that one of our guys was suspended for 10 games, I am happy it wasn't because he beat women.

Go Birds!