Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] C.J. Smith Is Very Much In Eagles' CB Mix

I read this old article a couple days ago. Jul 25, 2017 - A new study revealed that 99 percent of the brains of former NFL players donated for research showed signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy.
I have to believe that the game of football is going to change drastically in the future. Not sure what direction it will eventually go however the last two years in our Pop Warner league they couldn't field a team in two age brackets due to a lack of kids. The rules state that each team has to have a minimum of 18 kids and they couldn't come up with the numbers. Five years ago there were almost 30 kids showing up for each team. Our high school team (Manatee Hurricanes) plays division 8A football which is the highest talent level in the state of Florida. Five years ago and prior to that, they always had a minimum of 75 kids on the team. The last couple years there were only 55 kids on the team. I can see it getting less and less all the time. If you multiply these loss of numbers nation wide, it is a considerable loss of potential talent in the game. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this situation further down the line. Since I am 64 years old, I will probably not be around to see the end result but you 30 year old's out there might actually see the end of football in your lifetimes or at least the end of football as you know it now.

CTE is a really serious issue, but that was poor delivery of the science. You take a bunch of brains already suspected of having CTE and find out they do - surprise!

I have faith in technology to reduce the head injuries. But you're right that change is coming. Catch-22 for me though. My 8 yr old son is massive compared to his siblings and everyone always looks and gives the nod to me "football player..". and i say nope.

CTE is a really serious issue, but that was poor delivery of the science. You take a bunch of brains already suspected of having CTE and find out they do - surprise!

MJK, I read last week where there are some states considering legislation banning kids from playing football until the age of 13. Keep your eyes peeled to see if this legislation gets passed because that is how it will begin. By the time most kids are 13 years of age they are already involved in other sports for a number of years and most of them will not make the switch to football.

Anyone else read that the Patriots just purchased two 767's for the team? Now they have their own aircraft to and from games. LOL The planes are painted in Patriot colors. LOL

I read this old article a couple days ago. Jul 25, 2017 - A new study revealed that 99 percent of the brains of former NFL players donated for research showed signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy.
I have to believe that the game of football is going to change drastically in the future. Not sure what direction it will eventually go however the last two years in our Pop Warner league they couldn't field a team in two age brackets due to a lack of kids. The rules state that each team has to have a minimum of 18 kids and they couldn't come up with the numbers. Five years ago there were almost 30 kids showing up for each team. Our high school team (Manatee Hurricanes) plays division 8A football which is the highest talent level in the state of Florida. Five years ago and prior to that, they always had a minimum of 75 kids on the team. The last couple years there were only 55 kids on the team. I can see it getting less and less all the time. If you multiply these loss of numbers nation wide, it is a considerable loss of potential talent in the game. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this situation further down the line. Since I am 64 years old, I will probably not be around to see the end result but you 30 year old's out there might actually see the end of football in your lifetimes or at least the end of football as you know it now.

Flag football encased in those bubble wraps lol

I saw an "Eagles" plane here awhile back.Dont know if it was rented or if the maker just did one in every NFL team colors,but it was COOL!!!

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

MJK, I read last week where there are some states considering legislation banning kids from playing football until the age of 13. Keep your eyes peeled to see if this legislation gets passed because that is how it will begin. By the time most kids are 13 years of age they are already involved in other sports for a number of years and most of them will not make the switch to football.

Guess boxing will be banned in lieu of full contact badminton

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:
  1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

Guess boxing will be banned in lieu of full contact badminton

Well GB, I had one grandson that played football for nine years and another who is in his third year. The first loved football so much that he didn't want to consider playing another sport. The youngest guy that is in his third year has picked up some interest in baseball and is going to give it a shot next spring to see if he likes it as well as football. I wouldn't want to bet either way going forward but he is good for his age at football. I already have him switch hitting in baseball at age 9 and he makes plenty of contact from both sides of the plate. Not sure what to wish for so I am going to bow out and let him decide.

Just now, 1wrangler said:

Well GB, I had one grandson that played football for nine years and another who is in his third year. The first loved football so much that he didn't want to consider playing another sport. The youngest guy that is in his third year has picked up some interest in baseball and is going to give it a shot next spring to see if he likes it as well as football. I wouldn't want to bet either way going forward but he is good for his age at football. I already have him switch hitting in baseball at age 9 and he makes plenty of contact from both sides of the plate. Not sure what to wish for so I am going to bow out and let him decide.

Yeah as a parent/grandparent,you can only supply the facts and leave it to them.It's hard to do,I did it,but one has to remember it's their life not yours.So I agree with your call.Gave my kids that,got them into almost anything to see what stuck with them.They are doing the same for their kids and would/will support anything they choose to do.After all, the goal in life is to be happy while you can,doig whatever it is your love rather then be forced to do something you hate because "dad said so".At least those are my own thoughts.I understand the prental thing about protecting them,but also understand it is not my call to live their lives.

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah as a parent/grandparent,you can only supply the facts and leave it to them.It's hard to do,I did it,but one has to remember it's their life not yours.So I agree with your call.Gave my kids that,got them into almost anything to see what stuck with them.They are doing the same for their kids and would/will support anything they choose to do.After all, the goal in life is to be happy while you can,doig whatever it is your love rather then be forced to do something you hate because "dad said so".At least those are my own thoughts.I understand the prental thing about protecting them,but also understand it is not my call to live their lives.

Parental

12 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

BTW I was lucky to have parents like that.I was racing 1/4 midgets,then go karts at 6-10 years old lol.Of course moms nails were bitten to the skin,but they let me go.At 12 I was racing motocross(which is a dirty sport once you are out of spectator view).I'm shocked mom didn't have a heart attack watching me.But the fact they let me do things,will always be remembered and I tried to pass that on.I got hurt a few times,but I got back on.Taught me if you want something you have to take your knocks along the way.Football is the same IMO

That's kind of where i'm at with my kids. Trying to introduce them to different sports and let them find out on their own what they like. The main goal was to get them off their butts and away from Youtube. As big as my son is, football isn't his thing. He's not confrontational whatsoever, which is why we're struggling with judo. lol My daughter on the other hand is just a natural athlete. Soooo opposite of what we thought we saw coming with the two of them (twins). lol

1 minute ago, Swoopin' said:

That's kind of where i'm at with my kids. Trying to introduce them to different sports and let them find out on their own what they like. The main goal was to get them off their butts and away from Youtube. As big as my son is, football isn't his thing. He's not confrontational whatsoever, which is why we're struggling with judo. lol My daughter on the other hand is just a natural athlete. Soooo opposite of what we thought we saw coming with the two of them (twins). lol

Kids always throw you a loop now and then,it's their job(to keep you honest HAHA).I never forced them to do what i wanted,nor tried to steer them away from anything.IMO overprotection is the worst thing you can do,be cause when confronted as adults,they are not prepared for the real world.Like I told my kids "well you may get hurt doing this,then again you can get hurt crossing the street,and you can choose or not to pursue this(whatever it was).My son was like yours,tried football,not for him,but he was dang good at swimming and my daughter was a pretty decent tracks star in HS.I let them try whatever,they settled on those and had my support 

not sure where we were discussing the Dallas D line so i'm carrying it on here:

Losing Crawford for an extended period would be the latest significant hit to a Dallas D-line that will go without the suspended trio of Damontre Moore, David Irving and Randy Gregory for two, four and 16 games, respectively, in 2017. Thanks in part to those players’ bans, the Cowboys’ top ends aside from Crawford are Benson Mayowa, who totaled a team-leading six sacks in a part-time role last season, the oft-injured Demarcus Lawrence and first-round rookie Taco Charlton.

It’s possible a major Crawford injury would lead to the Cowboys checking in on the free agent market for established pass rushers. Dwight Freeney, Mario Williams, Paul Kruger and Trent Cole are the most proven options available.

9 minutes ago, Swoopin' said:

BTW glad you made THAT call as well.Life is not a video game lol

dude, it's amazing what the kids are doing now. not just mine but all their friends. they watch videos of other people playing the same game that they have. They don't prefer to play the game!  They don't want to watch cartoons, they just want to watch this on Youtube non-stop. i have obviously capped the amount of time they get on the tv with this crap.

1 minute ago, Swoopin' said:

dude, it's amazing what the kids are doing now. not just mine but all their friends. they watch videos of other people playing the same game that they have.  they don't want to watch cartoons, they want to watch this on Youtube non-stop. i have obviously capped the amount of time they get on the tv with this crap.

yeah you have to do that.The tough part of parenting and You tube will NOT find them  job or expand their horizons.Most times they call you names at the time,but they will thank you later trust me

haha thanks. I think we're pretty fair with them. After all day at camp - outside, nonstop movement/action i allow them to come home and chill for a bit. Same for when school is on - come home, chill for a bit. then get off your rearends and go play!

wow.  dammit!  i thought today was thursday right up until

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Welp back to football............tomorrow is the night!!!! If GB has the Lambeau leap can we have the Linc Lunge? 

dammit again!

Just now, Swoopin' said:

haha thanks. I think we're pretty fair with them. After all day at camp - outside, nonstop movement/action i allow them to come home and chill for a bit. Same for when school is on - come home, chill for a bit. then get off your rearends and go play!

LOL well,when I said I let them decide what they wanted to do,I kinda lied cause like you watching MTV 24/7(before this social media garbage) was NOT an option.So,been where you are under slightly different circumstances