Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] C.J. Smith Is Very Much In Eagles' CB Mix

One year ago he was the Eagles’ "other” rookie from North Dakota State preparing to play in his first preseason game, and cornerback C.J. Smith thought the football world was turned upside down, spinning a million miles an hour. Now Smith has a grasp of reality, and with that is a level of confidence far removed from 2016 ...

View the full article

Can't wait to see how he does in pre-season. We need some of these young CB's to step up. I don't think the competition for starting roles and roster spots has ever been as wide open as it is for the eagles @ CB.

Last year, I got the impression that fans wanted to see C.J. Smith get more opportunities to play than he did, especially considering how poor our CBs were. IMO, Smith showed some impressive athleticism in the 2016 pre-season, so I'm pleased to see that the Eagles are seriously considering him as a potential starter for 2017.

Although it is a pity that Smith didn't share more CB duties with Mills last year, as he'd be that much further along, and the Eagles could be more confident about the current status of their starting CBs in regards to whether they still needed to make a trade or not? But that's ancient history now. Let's play some football!

Stay healthy guys! Players dropping all over the place = trade partners? Jets, Bears, Bengals all lost players today.

From the last article I will respond to Stine/93.Not concerning yourself with next year is why to this point we have not won a SB.We went ONCE because we happened to hit on a good combination.You have to have players in the pipeline,all the perennial playoff teams do.We have not been competitive as of late due to poor drafts(aka future!!!!) and losing talented players(Chip era) You cannot count on rookies to bail you out every year,thus I stand by my comment that if you have a decent player for your future,you find a way to keep them regardless of "what other teams do" If we like Clement,then we keep 5 RB's and I really don't care if noone else does it.There s no rule you can only have a certain number at any position.That is the teams decision to make.You lose Clement,and we cannot re-sign Blount and Sproles retires and Smalls gets hurt we are back to the cellar in the NFCE,so I heartily disagree.If you find someone better than Clement,then of course you replace him.But NOT planning for the future is why we have never won a SB.IMO at this point you keep anyone worthwhile at the skill positions.We have that pipeline started now,so why give it up? if you want to contend annually it's a MUST.If you notice what we have done at WR(even if Alshon goes away we are covered),we can do the same at RB.Worst scenario is you have a "tradable" RB,best case is,no matter what happens you have a future RB.Anyway I am not the FO,they will do whats best for the team,just offering up my opinion to cover all possibilities and have the ability to contend not only one year,but into the future as well since skill position players DO get injured and 1 year contracts may or may NOT re-sign.My 2 cents

Well this is a welcome story Spuds! Let us hope the competition at CB improves the techniques for all, thus leaving us with 3-4 competent CB's. They do not have to be great. We have a great D-Line and Safety crew. IF they can stick with the WR for 5 seconds we should be fine. Give Cox, Graham and crew the time they need to nail the QB....

Brandon Flowers to Retire

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/08/brandon-flowers-to-retire

Looks like he was willing to try out for other teams but they didn't pan out. Now he's retiring. I'm somewhat surprised we didn't offer something for a year but obviously they know more than I do so there must have been something we didn't like about him. Or he didn't like us. lol

One thing is for sure at this stage.  Our potential CBs have at least been going up against a vastly improved WR core and a sharper QB on his game.  A core now containing legitimately premier NFL WRs of Alshon Jeffery and Torre Smith.  DP's "Iron sharpens Iron" comes into play here more than ever.  Last year we had a needing a lot more quality WR core going against an almost non-existant CB position where legitimately there was no iron available to sharpen any existing iron.  Maybe the higher quality of WRs and Agholor's improved abilities can bring out some (to quote stine) "3-4 competent CB's", enough to surprise us all.   It's the proverbial "acid test" for our CBs.  Training camp (and hopefully not the x factor of injury) will yield the best we have,  Lets hope it's enough!! Go Eagles!!

It appears Brian Dawkins has been unofficially coaching our defensive backs as well. My question is, why does it have to be unofficial?

Kind of a sidetrack here.. but here's an interesting situation Baltimore finds itself in. They just signed a CB because they waived one that was injured.They've already lost a different CB to injury.

" the Ravens are expected to start Jimmy Smith and free agent addition Brandon Carr at cornerback, with rookie first-round selection Marlon Humphrey in reserve. "

So, their first round draft pick CB isn't starting either. ( :-) ). The article then goes on to talk about who else is on their roster for the position and i saw Boykin's name pop up.

Just an interesting bit of news from around and i thought it to be interesting about Humphrey and i also flashbacked to Boykin.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/08/ravens-sign-cb-trevin-wade

4 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

From the last article I will respond to Stine/93.Not concerning yourself with next year is why to this point we have not won a SB.We went ONCE because we happened to hit on a good combination.You have to have players in the pipeline,all the perennial playoff teams do.We have not been competitive as of late due to poor drafts(aka future!!!!) and losing talented players(Chip era) You cannot count on rookies to bail you out every year,thus I stand by my comment that if you have a decent player for your future,you find a way to keep them regardless of "what other teams do" If we like Clement,then we keep 5 RB's and I really don't care if noone else does it.There s no rule you can only have a certain number at any position.That is the teams decision to make.You lose Clement,and we cannot re-sign Blount and Sproles retires and Smalls gets hurt we are back to the cellar in the NFCE,so I heartily disagree.If you find someone better than Clement,then of course you replace him.But NOT planning for the future is why we have never won a SB.IMO at this point you keep anyone worthwhile at the skill positions.We have that pipeline started now,so why give it up? if you want to contend annually it's a MUST.If you notice what we have done at WR(even if Alshon goes away we are covered),we can do the same at RB.Worst scenario is you have a "tradable" RB,best case is,no matter what happens you have a future RB.Anyway I am not the FO,they will do whats best for the team,just offering up my opinion to cover all possibilities and have the ability to contend not only one year,but into the future as well since skill position players DO get injured and 1 year contracts may or may NOT re-sign.My 2 cents

Well, you keep the best 53 players. To that I will agree, but you need to keep depth on all positions. Not sure they keep only 5 WR's. You can say the same thing about that position as you are about the RB's. We have potential of losing Matthews and Jeffrey. So you only keep 5 what does that do to the WR for next year? WR is harder to start at then RB as a rookie.....

I don't think we're gonna be in as bad shape as we think. I definitely agree with you about getting to practice against this year's WR's versus last year's being a huge benefit for our cornerbacks. I have to keep reminding myself that every team has weaknesses, which is why i thought to put the Ravens situation out there. Our CB's sucked last year and yet overall our defense did a better than average job. They were even ranked respectfully in certain stats. I believe our defense is better this year; specifically Jernigan is just going to have a massive impact.Point being that given all the close games last year we're definitely sitting better this year. Offense is light years ahead from what we had last year.

Speaking of thinking on the future, anyone know what's up with Rugby since his concussion? That 3 year deal still doesn't sit well with me.

Right on Swoopin! I agree with everything you said. Defense will be better regardless of the Cb's. We are stronger and deeper up front so applying pressure to the QB will happen more often. Dallas has a weaker O-Line despite what the talking heads say. Giants O-Line is really weak. That was one reason we matched up so well against them last year. We were able to apply pressure to Eli, thus forcing him to get rid of the ball before he was ready. I feel this year he will be on the ground quite a bit...