Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Packers Recap: Not A Pretty First Step

GREEN BAY, WIS – As far as opening preseason games go, the Eagles’ 23-9 loss at Green Bay on Thursday night wasn’t exactly a thing of beauty. The Eagles turned the ball over three times in the first half, rushed for all of 20 yards and gave up a punt return for a touchdown ...

View the full article

Hollins, Barnett, & Wentz did well. The O-line gets a collective F for the day. Preseason, regular season, or post season, if you can't run block, you can't win. They had a bad, bad night.#sloppyplay

Hollins, Barnett, & Wentz did well. The O-line gets a collective F for the day. Preseason, regular season, or post season, if you can't run block, you can't win. They had a bad, bad night.#sloppyplay

Wish we could see the games out west, but agree with this post, as could be imagined with the radio stream. Where was the "vaunted" OL depth? Very disconcerting! Were running backs and TEs also at fault? I know, I know....it's early.

1 minute ago, Eaglesoldtimer said:

Wish we could see the games out west, but agree with this post, as could be imagined with the radio stream. Where was the "vaunted" OL depth? Very disconcerting! Were running backs and TEs also at fault? I know, I know....it's early.

Everybody had a hand in it. It looked like a lot of missed assignments. The Packers were bringing more than they could block at times but it wasn't just one free guy causing trouble. It is early, but the performance up front was bad. They're better than that and it should've shown in the individuals match ups, but it didn't. A lot of work to do.

This is why I never get excited about training camp and how well they look running practice. When the game starts they're back to their old way.

Might as well put my 2 cents in.
Barnett looks like the real deal
Ditto Hollins
Treggs catches everything but i'll predict now he doesn't make the 53, too bad.

O line looked terrible BUT i didn't see Wentz audible when their safeties crowded the box so he may have been told to go with the play called.

Bottom line is it means nothing. 4-0 or 0-4 in the PS means nothing.

• Wentz
  • Barnett
  • Hollins
  • Treggs

They're the only ones that stood out in a good way.

Neither line stood out to me but the O was the worse of the two. If there's anything bothersome to take away from PS1 it would be that. These were O line starters. There is no major scheme changes to be made. They should have been better.

• Tre Sullivan should be moved to CB immediately.
  • Pumphrey's fumbles made me shed a tear. But proved he can take a hit seeings McGloin was hanging him out to dry over and over again. So bad that it was almost like they were trying to get him injured.
  • Mills did ok. C.J. Smith didn't.
  • Curry & Kendricks didn't suck.
  • Nobody knows how to pronounce Gerry.

The whole first quarter felt like the tempo of the Pro Bowl. Felt like they were phoning it in so they wouldn't get hurt. But that's PS for us. And it was great just to see some football again.

One other note, can we start a gofundme page to get Coach Undlin replaced? Watch all of our CB's. None of them turn around to look for the ball. At this point it's not coincidence. Last year we started noticing this. Now, it's a pattern. I understand he hasn't been given a stellar group to work with but from a coaching perspective that's ideal - you mold them to do what you want. And clearly Undlin wants them to never see the ball coming. Who is the CB coaching equivalent to Mike Groh and how soon can we get him in here?

First PS game, and several starters weren't in, however the first team offense looked pretty good(though the O line struggled) Hollins looked like he is earning a spot, and Wentz is as expected, and very good.
Barnett looked like what the Eagles hoped for when they got him in the first round.

Special teams really disappointed, (though I saw an illegal block in the back not called on that TD)

As an Eagles fan I am not too up or too down... play calling was very watered down.. though GB seemed to be running a much less watered down defensive scheme.
As far as Matt and Dane... well lets hope Nick Foles is feeling better soon.

This is why I never get excited about training camp and how well they look running practice. When the game starts they're back to their old way.

First team(the ones that played) looked good, except for special teams.
I don't get too up or too down... it's preseason, and it is all very generic.
You sound as if you think they will suck this year, and I really don't think that will be the case.

First real game is against Washington, let's see what they have then.

Though I agree not to get too excited, I also think you should have a little faith.

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

Game pass lets you watch where ever, but in regular season you have to wait til the game is done to watch it. It's less expensive than going to Buffalo Wild Wings every Sunday to watch the games .

2 minutes ago, PhillyRod said:

Game pass lets you watch where ever, but in regular season you have to wait til the game is done to watch it. It's less expensive than going to Buffalo Wild Wings every Sunday to watch the games .

Am i understanding correctly that GamePass doesn't include playoffs?

Ron Brooks just isn't very good...and he can't stay healthy.

if they can move Sulivan to CB
https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/6/25/15870250/eagles-rookie-profile-tre-sullivan-philadelphia-safety-defensive-back-nfl-shepherd-rams-highlights

54 minutes ago, Swoopin' said:

One other note, can we start a gofundme page to get Coach Undlin replaced? Watch all of our CB's. None of them turn around to look for the ball. At this point it's not coincidence. Last year we started noticing this. Now, it's a pattern. I understand he hasn't been given a stellar group to work with but from a coaching perspective that's ideal - you mold them to do what you want. And clearly Undlin wants them to never see the ball coming. Who is the CB coaching equivalent to Mike Groh and how soon can we get him in here?

This has been a known issue since at least Chip's 2nd year, so when they brought Undlin in we thought it would turn around. Obviously it hasnt and why they cant seem to get it figure out is beyond me because it is basics. That just tells me our CB are just not good enough or fast enough to keep up in this league.

Wasn't last year,those that know me know I have been harping on this more than a year.I'd be happy to teach them.My HS coach was AWESOME

Undlin needs to go NOW while there is still time.You can have the most talent on the planet.If noone can teach you it's worthless

14 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Undlin needs to go NOW while there is still time.You can have the most talent on the planet.If noone can teach you it's worthless

Green,

I was listening to an interview with Herm Edwards last year in which he was talking about the CB position. In his view (and I trust it) he firmly stated there are only two types of CB's in the world. Those who play the man, and those who play the ball. He was adamant that you cannot turn one into the other no matter how much you coach them up. If a guy plays the man, he'll always play the man and never play the ball, and the reverse holds true in his experience as well. Guys who have a knack for finding the ball will get their heads around and guys who don't simply won't do it, especially under stress. They all rest on their instincts in those situations according to him.  Assuming that's true, it's a personnel selection issue more than a coaching issue.

Just food for thought.