Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Wake-Up Call: Ronald Darby Calls It A ‘Blessing’ To Be An Eagle

EXCELLENT move by the FO once again.Liked JMatt alot,wish him the best,but this move SO helps our secondary.Last time Darby faced OBJ he shut him down.5 catches for 38 yards HAHA

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Wake-Up-Call-Ronald-Darby-Calls-It-A-‘Blessing’-To-Be-An-Eagle/499bc974-0d39-4516-9f76-088602ebb4a3 Darby happy to be here

Naturally, I think it was a good move, since a couple of weeks ago on this forum I suggested that the Eagles trade Matthews & a draft pick in order to acquire a first class promising young CB that can start right away. Well, they've done it now. It was probably a necessary move, since they most likely needed more security (& depth) at CB. (Plus, they probably weren't going to pay Matthews the big money to retain him next year anyway.)

Of course I have mixed feelings about losing Matthews, as I liked him as an Eagle. I'm sorry to see him go, but at the end of the day, I think it was a smart trade--assuming Darby works out as a first tier starter. (Holding OBJ to just 5 catches for 38 yards, as GBFL points out, is certainly encouraging, even it was a couple of years ago. OBJ isn't slow--so if Darby can cover OBJ that well, he's got the quickness & speed to cover many other top NFL receivers too.) In addition, one of the current promising Eagles wide receivers must now step up and prove they are more than able to fill Matthews role in the slot (without dropping balls).

By the way, my former 'late round' 2016 draft favorite, CB Ashton Lampkin, who surprisingly went un-drafted (until the Chiefs picked him up), had an impressive 'pick 6' against the 49ers last night, and otherwise covered well (from what I saw) So, if the Chiefs don't hang on to Lampkin (less likely now, but you never know), the Eagles should seriously consider picking him up (for the practice squad at the very least).