Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Who Steps Up To Fill Slot Receiver Role?

Mr.Simpson.AG is still a person and as such has the right to worship/pray or whatever you want to call it s he sees fit.That is his right.I also believe he understands this is his job to lose.That being said,if you are expecting perfection,look elsewhere.The pass in question was HIGH and coming in HOT.We have the luxury of overhead cams.Did he SEE it coming all the way? Was his vision blocked at all?.I too, was down on AG like mnay on here,but believe he can and will turn it around.IF he does NOT,we now have the receivers in place to bench him if needed(we never had that before) One pass missed in PRE 1,does not a receiver make and it's WAY TOO EARLY to judge him.If we see the same in the next 2 games,then by all means I will jump on your wagon

Please consider NOT using Agholor as the slot receiver, and utilizing Hollins or even Treggs instead. Agholor has certainly been consistent with too many drops, still remains passive and soft. Although, he might have improved during practice, he still shows that he is "college" material and not fit for the NFL.

BTW welcome to the BORED(spelled correctly lol)

I am from the camp that has been down on Aggs for the past two seasons, and admit I had already given up on him blossoming into anything but a backup player.
I was ready to chalk him up as a bust and hope that Hollins and Gibson would give us two more reliable weapons.
As much as I was sure he was a goner, he has now changed my mind by the way he has carried himself through camp and the first game of PS.
I am now optimistic that he can be that third receiver out of the slot and become a reliable weapon for this offense.
I like being proved wrong when it comes down to negative player evaluation, and I just hope that he can keep it going when the games count.
It's rare to get second and third chances in a league that chews up and spits out players, so I hope he realizes the opportunity that he has been given.

Excellent post

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

If Ag can't cut it in season,he will be benched immediately

Don't get me wrong, if i'm wrong about AGS i'll be happy to be wrong. But we've seen this before where a player looks like an all pro in practice and just chokes in games.
We'll just have to see how it goes when the catches really mean something.

Believe he understands this is pretty much his last shot.I don't see how he can't.But as some say "we've seen it before".Time will tell and I really have faith in this staff to bench him if that is what's called for.Like the coddling of MS2,this is his year to put it up,or pack his bags

This is sort off missing some of our primary concerns. Yes, maybe with a combination of Groh's coaching and Agholor's hard work, the mental lapses and drops are history. (I hope.) HOWEVER, I STILL maintain he cannot run precise routes nor elude coverage. I only cling to the possibility I'm wrong - we shall see.

"Oh so now if he doesn't catch EVERYTHING he's a bust.Isn't it a bit early???"

Yes, it's way too early to tell, either way.  I remain hopeful, but skeptical.  We'll see.  Obviously, the Eagles are looking at Agholor as their potential #1 starter in the slot, or they wouldn't have traded Matthews.  Yet, as I've pointed out before, no receiver in NFL history has put up the kind of bad numbers Agholor did in his first two seasons, with the same amount of opportunities, and gone on to become a top receiver in the NFL.  Though that doesn't mean it's impossible, and there were other factors, so I hope Agholor pulls it off.  I'm rooting him.

"Oh so now if he doesn't catch EVERYTHING he's a bust.Isn't it a bit early???"

Yes, it's way too early to tell, either way.  I remain hopeful, but skeptical.  We'll see.  Obviously, the Eagles are looking at Agholor as their potential #1 starter in the slot, or they wouldn't have traded Matthews.  Yet, as I've pointed out before, no receiver in NFL history has put up the kind of bad numbers Agholor did in his first two seasons, with the same amount of opportunities, and gone on to become a top receiver in the NFL.  Though that doesn't mean it's impossible, and there were other factors, so I hope Agholor pulls it off.  I'm rooting him.

OK I'll buy that lol

11 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

OK I'll buy that lol

I believe in the WR's being versatile,able to play all 3 spots,but I think they did Agholor a disservice by trying to pound the outside spots into him when he was most productive and most likely more comfortable in the slot.

Agholor played out of the slot in his final season at USC and parlayed tremendous success (104 receptions, 1,313 yards, and 12 touchdowns) into becoming the Eagles’ first-round draft pick

I just hope that he can transfer this success into the regular season. I'm confident that he feels much more at ease and he will. Knock on wood!

2 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

I believe in the WR's being versatile,able to play all 3 spots,but I think they did Agholor a disservice by trying to pound the outside spots into him when he was most productive and most likely more comfortable in the slot.

I just hope that he can transfer this success into the regular season. I'm confident that he feels much more at ease and he will. Knock on wood!

I would not feel awful if they traded him too.That being said,it's too early to know much.At least NOW we have receivers who can easily fill the slot spot if need be.We didn't have that option last year.To AG-BRO,this it IT.As a first rounder it's time to bring us your A game(aka you are out of excuses)

Why's everyone discounting Treggs? He's only caught everything thrown his way and I'd like to see a race between him and Jefferey

What up MJK? Are you talking Treggs & Alshon? If so I must ask-Are you more loaded than me? HA-HA ☺ If you're talking a foot race,then Treggs would dust him. If you're talking routes and catch ability + 50/50 grabs,I think it has to go to Alshon. I really like how Treggs looked and his fearlessness to stick his nose in and block,but I need to see more than one game to even consider that race.

Pump wasn't afraid to mix it up with D and block too. Real happy about that even with him needing to work on getting the most leverage as possible and work on his technique. Blount was OUTSTANDING with his blocking game,locking his man up for the entirety of the play.

Actually I meant Treggs vs Torrey. Speaking of speed, impressed w/ Darbys', watched some clips and it doesn't take him long to go full bore

Anyone notice the player #'s being scrambled since Darby was picked up? Darby has Blount's #35,Blount took Terrence Brook's #29,and now T.Brooks took over R.Mathew's #24.

5 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Actually I meant Treggs vs Torrey. Speaking of speed, impressed w/ Darbys', watched some clips and it doesn't take him long to go full bore

Ok,that's more down to Earth. :lol:

I need to memorize the numbers. If I don't I'm not able to follow who made what play as efficient as I want to.

2 TEs, Sproles, 3TEs .... and Mack Hollins. That's what will be used to replace Matthews production. Agholor or whoever else is down on my list. Sidney Jones stepping on the field next year could make this D elite if they resign Timmy & Nigel. The QB should grow into the role better without a "favorite" WR now. No bias #11. Looking forward to the season. That said, wish every athlete in Philly had the mental make up of J Matthews. Tough, works hard and no off the field issues.

Not too worried about making up JMats' production, just a little as he and Wentz had good communication. JMat filled the role of a quick outlet, didn't have a lot of big plays. Weighing that against possibly finally having a substantial full secondary after so long, have no problem with the move. We were all worried about the CB's, slot receiver - not so much.

It was hard for me to separate my personal feelings for J.Matt from my 'make the team better & have a competitive set of DB's' and the business side of the game. I like the deal. Filling the slot WR spot is much easier than forming a great set of CB's and a defensive backfield that can be ball hawks and competitive,week in & week out.

No brainer move here. Chip loaded this team with slot receivers. Problem was we didn't have the outside weapons or speed weapons to stretch defenses. Torrey and Alshon will change that. And I'm a fan of this rook Hollins. He has it. Maybe not consitency but whatever it is...he has it. He will work out just fine. Agholor I've beaten the point to death since he was drafted IS A SLOT WR! Finally he'll be put in a position to succeed by playing to his strengths. We know Sproles loves the slot. Pumphrey? Coach already has game plans envisioning utilizing him. So he's a weapon. Not sure how much this season. Then it comes to Ertz. Who is a slot receiver, more than anything else. JMatt gets traded, Agholor and Ertz are the first to do backflips. Burton has shown ability out of the slot. So yes we still have a pleathora of slot options. (All that without mentioning Treggs,Johnson... )

Definitely a no-brainer. Now we have some promising young DB's that can grow together and hopefully stay together for seasons to come.