Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Who Steps Up To Fill Slot Receiver Role?

Position flexibility is the key, says head coach Doug Pederson, as the Eagles now go about the task of replacing the 75 catches, six touchdowns, and 12 yards per reception Jordan Matthews produced for the offense in his three seasons here. It won’t necessarily be one person asked to put up those numbers, Pederson insists ...

View the full article

Well I guess they expect NA to really step up, but the fact he couldnt bring in the pass for that 2pt conversion didnt take away most of us fans that dont believe the hype that is has turned it around during TC.

Hollins I think can work in the slot this year also. But we can use Sproles, Pump, Burton in the slot also. So again if Darby provides stability at one starting CB position thats what we need.

AGS still is a concern. He missed a difficult catch on the 2 point conversion. It was high and hot but i'd expect a pro WR to make a better effort on it.

7 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

AGS still is a concern. He missed a difficult catch on the 2 point conversion. It was high and hot but i'd expect a pro WR to make a better effort on it.

Do you have plans for the week 1 game against the Skins?

13 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

If it was high and Hot maybe it was not catchable? We have the beauty of overhead cameras the WR's don;t get

14 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

1 pass breeds "concerns"? It was ONE PASS in PRE 1-not a big deal

18 minutes ago, mateagle2 said:

The options are limitless... we can use speed, or physicality, or agility

Love the versatility!!! We're gonna confuse alot of defenses

20 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

If it was high and Hot maybe it was not catchable? We have the beauty of overhead cameras the WR's don;t get

1 pass breeds "concerns"? It was ONE PASS in PRE 1-not a big deal

It is when you have a reputation for dropping passes in games. I'd say catching passes in practice doesn't tell us as much.

Not really. My kid has game pass but if there's a possibility of the game being on at BWW or Hoppers i'd be up for that.

1 minute ago, ASG15 said:

Not really. My kid has game pass but if there's a possibility of the game being on at BWW or Hoppers i'd be up for that.

You said you are on the south side of post out by Plato, right?

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

If Ag can't cut it in season,he will be benched immediately

aka we don't have to keep playing him like last year because we have no other options,because we DO now.SO,it's all on him and I'm sure he knows it

26 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

Since the Chiefs play on Thursday there is a good chance the Eags will be on at one of those places.

If Ag can't cut it in season,he will be benched immediately

Don't get me wrong, if i'm wrong about AGS i'll be happy to be wrong. But we've seen this before where a player looks like an all pro in practice and just chokes in games.
We'll just have to see how it goes when the catches really mean something.

I am from the camp that has been down on Aggs for the past two seasons, and admit I had already given up on him blossoming into anything but a backup player.
I was ready to chalk him up as a bust and hope that Hollins and Gibson would give us two more reliable weapons.
As much as I was sure he was a goner, he has now changed my mind by the way he has carried himself through camp and the first game of PS.
I am now optimistic that he can be that third receiver out of the slot and become a reliable weapon for this offense.
I like being proved wrong when it comes down to negative player evaluation, and I just hope that he can keep it going when the games count.
It's rare to get second and third chances in a league that chews up and spits out players, so I hope he realizes the opportunity that he has been given.

The Eagles keep trying to make the case for Agholor's 'rebirth'. It's as if they need to say it over & over again in order to convince themselves that it really could happen. Agholor didn't produce in Thursday's game, at least not when he was given the opportunity to do so. Some receivers would have caught that Wentz pass for a touchdown. Instead it bounced off of Agholor's arms or hands. I realize it wasn't an easy catch, but even so ...

It remains that Agholor hasn't proven that he can play at a high level in the NFL, not yet. Practice doesn't count. Athletes with the 'yips' don't have problems in practice, only in actual games. I knew a pro athlete once that got a terrible case of the yips. He had been one of the best in the world in his sport, but then his wife committed adultery on him and after that he was a psychological mess. From that point on he got the yips so badly in competitions that he lost all confidence. It brought about a premature end to his pro career. Last year, Agholor was a mess in a similar way. However, in Agholor's case his personal problems had to do with his lifestyle choices, which were publicly & humiliatingly exposed (probably a good thing in the long run). Which, in turn, effected his play on the field, where he made too many mistakes, and as the pressures mounted, he lost confidence.

Therefore, Agholor has two things to prove in the coming weeks, before he deserves to start as the Eagles #1 slot receiver:

First, he needs to show that he has put that period of his life and the mistakes made permanently behind him. Certainly, if Agholor were to relapse into the 'night club' lifestyle, his concentration & focus would again become distracted, and the result would be that he wouldn't play well this year, at least not up to present expectations, no matter how much talent he has. Obviously, Agholor is a sensitive young man. There is something noble about him. I expect he has some special ancestors watching over him. Which is why his poor life style choices last year probably effected him worse than they might have effected a less sensitive player. That won't change, and therefore he needs to find the nobler side of his character, and strive everyday to be the best version of himself that can be, and never look back, only forward.

Secondly, Agholor needs to prove that he does in fact have very good hand-eye coordination and enough ball skills to catch passes with the best of them. Evidently, coach Mike Groh has helped him in this regard, and by all accounts Agholor has done exactly that in pre-season practices. Now he needs to do it in the pre-season games. However, if the drop balls continue through the pre-season, are the Eagles going to simply wish that they'll go away once the regular season begins?

If Agholor falls short in either respect, I think Paul Turner and Marcus Johnson should be strongly considered for the slot position. (I'd probably keep the speedy Bryce Treggs on the outside. Plus, from what I understand, Treggs was another frequent night crawler last year, so he has something to prove as well.) I realize that coach Pederson doesn't like small receivers, but in Turner's case, I think that's a mistake. In sports, small guys are generally the quickest players, and usually a lot quicker than big guys (though they may not run the 40 in as fast a time, due to their shorter leg span). When that kind of quickness is combined with Turner's unusual sure handedness, and an ability to get open, it gives the Eagles a distinct advantage that they can't afford to overlook. It also gives the WR group much needed variety in order to keep opposing defenses more off balance & guessing. In other words, it would be a weakness for the Eagles to retain only big WRs on this team--since every team needs (& can benefit from) a Cole Beasley, Danny Amendola, Odell Beckham Jr. or Antonio Brown type-sized receiver, who are more difficult to cover specifically because they are small and quick.

Please consider NOT using Agholor as the slot receiver, and utilizing Hollins or even Treggs instead. Agholor has certainly been consistent with too many drops, still remains passive and soft. Although, he might have improved during practice, he still shows that he is "college" material and not fit for the NFL.

Not by what I have read

The Eagles keep trying to make the case for Agholor's 'rebirth'. It's as if they need to say it over & over again in order to convince themselves that it really could happen. Agholor didn't produce in Thursday's game, at least not when he was given the opportunity to do so. Some receivers would have caught that Wentz pass for a touchdown. Instead it bounced off of Agholor's arms or hands. I realize it wasn't the easiest of catches, but even so ...

It remains that Agholor hasn't proven that he can play at a high level in the NFL, not yet. Practice doesn't count. Athletes with the 'yips' don't have problems in practice, only in actual games. I knew a pro athlete once that got a terrible case of the yips. He had been one of the best in the world in his sport, but then his wife committed adultery on him and after that he was a psychological mess. From that point on he got the yips so badly in competitions that he lost all confidence. It brought about a premature end to his pro career. Last year, Agholor was a mess in a similar way. However, in Agholor's case his personal problems had to do with his lifestyle choices, which were publicly & humiliatingly exposed (probably a good thing in the long run). Which, in turn, effected his play on the field, where he made too many mistakes, and as the pressures mounted, he lost confidence.

Therefore, Agholor has two things to prove in the coming weeks, before he deserves to start as the Eagles #1 slot receiver:

First, he needs to show that he has put that period of his life and the mistakes made permanently behind him. Unfortunately, I don't think that can truly happen 'once & for all' until Agholor has decided either to live a celibate (prayerful) life that is focused primarily (& intensely) on football, or is happily married and devoted to a new wife. That's just life. Otherwise, men become too easily distracted and (unwisely) get themselves in trouble (especially in Philadelphia). Certainly, if Agholor were to relapse into the 'night club' lifestyle, his concentration & focus would again become distracted, and the result would be that he wouldn't play well this year, at least not up to present expectations, no matter how much talent he has. Evidently Agholor is a sensitive young man. There is something noble about him. I expect he has some special ancestors watching over him. Which is why his poor life style choices last year effected him worse than they might have effected a less noble person. That won't change, and therefore he needs to find his true self--the nobler side of his character, and strive everyday to be the best version of himself that can be, and never look back, only forward.

Secondly, Agholor needs to prove that he does in fact have very good hand-eye coordination and enough ball skills to catch passes with the best of them. Evidently, coach Mike Groh has helped Agholor in this regard, and by all accounts he has done exactly that in pre-season practices. Now he needs to do it in the pre-season games. However, if the drop balls continue during the pre-season, are the Eagles going to simply wish that they'll go away once the regular season begins?

If Agholor falls short in either respect, I think Paul Turner and Marcus Johnson should be strongly considered for the slot position. (I'd probably keep the speedy Bryce Treggs on the outside. Plus, from what I understand, Treggs was another frequent night crawler last year, so he has something to prove as well.) I realize that coach Pederson doesn't like small receivers, but in Turner's case, I think that's a mistake. In sports, small guys are generally the quickest players, and usually a lot quicker than big guys (though they may not run the 40 in as fast a time, due to their shorter leg span). When that kind of quickness is combined with Turner's unusual sure handedness, and an ability to get open, it gives the Eagles a distinct advantage that they can't afford to overlook. It also gives the WR group a much needed variety in order to keep opposing defenses more off balance & guessing. In other words, it would be a weakness for the Eagles to retain only big WRs on this team--since every team needs (& can benefit from) a Cole Beasley, Danny Amendola, Odell Beckham Jr. or Antonio Brown type-sized receiver, who are more difficult to cover specifically because they are small and quick.

Oh so now if he doesn't catch EVERYTHING he's a bust.Isn't it a bit early???