Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Corey Clement Making A Case For Roster Spot After Strong Performance

13 minutes ago, Layzer said:

its fierce competition for the roster RB spots.
2 more PS games for them to show what they got, may the better bird WIN.

So many hypotheticals that I get all squirrely thinking about it!

Phantom IR is inevitable at this point. Which is so lame but necessary.

I don't think RB Byron Marshall is being given a fair chance to prove he can make a significant contribution to this team. The athleticism he showed last night by hurdling over a Buffalo defender for (hard earned) extra yardage was very impressive. You've got to give a guy like that a fair opportunity. So I'd like to see the Eagles play Marshall more than just at the tail end of each game, like he's an afterthought, who's already been cut. From what Marshall showed last night, he has improved, and may well be better than Clement, Smallwood, & Pumphreys. He might also be the best player to replace Sproles in 2018. So please, give him more of a fighting chance, Eagles.

Secondly, the 1st string offensive line isn't cutting it. There has been way too much penetration by opposing Ds, first by Green Bay, and then by Buffalo last night. The Eagles RBs barely have a chance--no lanes are opening up, and too often there are swarms of opposing players all over the RBs after receiving the hand off from Wentz (it's also happening on short passes too, where at times there isn't an Eagles jersey in sight, to block). (Right now, the O-L reminds me too much of the O-L under Kelly, who like Pederson also thought he had a "good" O-L heading into the regular season, only to find out that that wasn't the case.) Could it be our coaches fault? Is the play calling too predictable and easily read by opposing Ds? or is the O-L simply not being properly coached & prepared? Or, is it the players themselves? It's hard to tell from where I'm sitting, but wherever the problem lies, it has nothing to do with the quality of our RBs.

Granted, the pass protection was a little better against Buffalo last night than it was against Green Bay, but then Buffalo isn't nearly as good a team as the Packers, and they didn't blitze as much. But the O-L has got to get stronger in the coming weeks or it's going to be a long season. Right now, it isn't safe for Wentz to sit in the pocket for long. Nor is he throwing long balls. That's not good. Wentz needs to be throwing long in the pre-season. The Eagles can't wait until the regular season for Wentz to throw deep, can they?

So I'd have to say that, as things stand right now, the O-L is the most glaring weakness on this team (other than I'm worried about Mills, if he starts, getting beat deep due to insufficient speed). Which means that the release of Allan Barbre is already beginning to look like a needless, foolish move.

Best O-L in the NFL, as was claimed a few weeks ago? The Eagles should refrain from making such wild, speculative boasts until their O-L has actually proven they're one of the best in the NFL.  It betrays the kind of blind confidence that led this team to release Barbre, who was a key starter when the O-L played well last year (& also, to let go of starting CB Rowe in 2016).

Otherwise, I think the most underrated player on this Eagles team is Steven Means. I've said it before, but Means could easily be a starter for other teams, & a very good one. It's obvious he's an exceptional athlete, and he has also made his presence known on special teams too. If the season were to start tomorrow, in my view, Means should be playing more than Curry. But we'll see in a couple of weeks.

Agreed on the O line, especially pointing out that we had guys saying we're one of the best just a few weeks ago. I'm all for being confident in your teammates, etc.. but keep it to yourself and just show everyone.

As for Means, while i've really come to appreciate him a lot more recently, we gotta realize - he's out there against nightclub bouncers and guys that won't be playing football in 3 weeks!

10 minutes ago, Swoopin' said:

As for Means, while i've really come to appreciate him a lot more recently, we gotta realize - he's out there against nightclub bouncers and guys that won't be playing football in 3 weeks!

Okay, that's a fair point.  But, Means did show some impressive athleticism on special teams last year during the regular season (remember the crucial blocked kick against Dallas?).   So, let him start instead of Curry next week, and find out.  Why not?  Surely Means deserves a chance like that? and besides, it may put more fire into Curry as well.

Yeah it's interesting, i can't argue it too much. With so much talk about Barnett replacing Curry, Means gets overlooked.

I've liked Clement better than Pumphrey from the start and Marshall shouldn't be overlooked either. I know we were looking for Sproles clone when we drafted Pumphrey and yes he has talent but Sproles is 1 of a kind and nobody knows if Pumphrey is gonna be the guy to fill his shoes. The truth is undersized RB's are a long shot to make it in the NFL.

On 8/18/2017 at 7:21 PM, rohash said:

The truth is undersized RB's are a long shot to make it in the NFL.

True, with the exception of RB Tarik Cohen, who I think may turn out to be even better than Sproles, and who the Eagles could have taken with the pick just ahead of the Chicago in the 2017 draft.  Instead they chose Pumphreys.  I can't help but feel that was a mistake, as Pumphreys hasn't been overly impressive, at least not yet, and (the Sproles-like) Cohen is already becoming a huge fan favorite in Chicago, for all the right reasons. Cohen looks very impressive in the pre-season.  He is everything the Eagles had hoped to see out of Pumphreys.  Though it's probably too early to say, personally, I think the Eagles made a serious misjudgment of athletic talent here by not taking Cohen instead of Pumphreys.

PFF listed the top 5 Eagles players after the Bills game, and guess who they rated the highest--Steven Means!  The Eagles should definitely take a better look at Means against a 1st team O-L, just to see how he does. As it's possible that Curry should actually be our 2nd or 3rd string DE, behind Barnett & Means.  

From GreenBleedinNation:

"Pro Football Focus releases the top five graded players from each team after every single NFL game.  Here's what PFF had to say about the Philadelphia Eagles following their preseason matchup against the Buffalo Bills.

Top 5 Grades

Edge--Steven Means, 90.2 overall grade

DI--Fletcher Cox, 86.0 overall grade

Edge--Derek Barnett, 85.5 overall grade

CB--Ronald Darby, 83.5 overall grade

S--Rodney McLeod, 83.3 overall grade

It would be nice to see players on the Eagles offense make this top 5 list in the remaining weeks of the pre-season.