Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] Mychal Kendricks Off To Great Start In Preseason

I'm a big fan of LB Mychal Kendricks, & hope the Eagles won't trade him, especially at this point in the pre-season (as I think it would be very unwise to do so). IMO, Kendricks has gotten an unfair rep here in Philly: I gather partly due to his playing injured in 2015 and not playing up to his very best. As I recall, it all began with a torn hamstring injury that Kendricks sustained from having to chase down a speedy WR in a foot race to the end zone, some 35-45 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. That was how poor Chip Kelly & Bill Davis's defensive coaching was--to have a linebacker covering a speedy WR deep downfield. Kendricks should never have been put in that position, and yet despite that, he gave it everything he had, and as a result, tore his hamstring, which hampered the rest of his 2015 season (just after the Eagles had signed him to a four year contract, and Eagles fans expected more of him). Now Kendricks is healthy, and playing up to his potential. That's very good news for this team, and for Eagles fans, and I expect Kendricks will have a great year, as he is a very talented football player & athlete.

I thought this guy was part of this team's future. Then the injuries and new D.C. New scheme happens, soooo much athleticism. Too much money on the books to cut, and we just can't give him away. Good to see Schwartz willing to put MK ina position to be successful. I am loving the results... Keep working Mike.

All comments so far on point! We all know his blitz potential. In Schwartz.s defense, it's hard for me to figure out how much responsibility Kendricks (and Bradham) have in TE pass coverage. However, we know they have a lot to do with run stuffing, and the Eagles' success this season will depend a lot on that. Hope the last two games are an indicator of OLB improvement!

2 hours ago, Eaglesoldtimer said:

All comments so far on point! We all know his blitz potential. In Schwartz.s defense, it's hard for me to figure out how much responsibility Kendricks (and Bradham) have in TE pass coverage. However, we know they have a lot to do with run stuffing, and the Eagles' success this season will depend a lot on that. Hope the last two games are an indicator of OLB improvement!

I wouldn't panic,what we saw mostly in the Bills game were players on the bubble come cut time.Pre-3 we should see roughly the starters.Pre 4 will be "last looks",then it's decision time

Who's got the sky is falling gif? Now that we have most of the parts of a secondary ( still on the fence w/ Mills, Jones will take over eventually ), Schwartz can work in more blitzes - Kendricks' strength. Can also see 3 S's, Jenkins lining up just about everywhere. The position lines get blurred when players can play several positions, adding to the confusion for their D and time for our pass rush to blow things up.

I keep trying to remind myself this is STILL.. JUST....pre-season... Disappointed... that Lane Johnson didn't show up in JP's absence...  Poor OL performances, our lack of a running game... not the DOMINATING force I Imagined it would be... Special Teams not as Sudden in creating TO's as in previous seasons, The Sturgis misses below 50 yards after his  outstanding previous season... " ONLY Pre-Season." The areas that were most concerning, CB, LB Depth with the addition of Darby, has raised the level of competitiveness with the Depth players at CB. The CB position has been a problem for so long, it has caused me imagine that the addition of one player like Darby could raise the play of the DB's. Third Pre-Season game, I want to see some improvement on the Offense, OLine, Running Game, I need more from our ST, Has Bryan Brayman signed with anyone yet? Special Teams not showing up as special..." Only Pre-Season." 

Perhaps all all the Pre Draft, Pre-Season Hype has blinded my objectivity, ? ... Again... Hahaha. I had hoped for more....hmmmmmmm  " Only Pre-season."

On the fence about Mills on the outside until Jones can play. Would like to see if we play Darby on the best receiver. The S's may still have to help out on Mills' side.

I just hope the Schwartz is with you puts on more blitzs this year, even though it's preseason they way they blitzed Buffalo and caused turnovers, I hope they can do that from time to time during the season and use Kendricks abilities like how Johnson used Weapon X.

On 8/20/2017 at 0:18 PM, mjkline1958 said:

On the fence about Mills on the outside until Jones can play. Would like to see if we play Darby on the best receiver. The S's may still have to help out on Mills' side.

Believe it's the team's intention of playing Darby with the best receiver.  He has the speed to cover most.