Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] Dorenbos Trade A 'Difficult' One For Team

In the course of an Eagles career that started in 2006 and spanned 162 consecutive games until a wrist injury ended his 2016 season, Jon Dorenbos reinvented what a long snapper could be. He was more than that for the Eagles, as he established a nationally powerful personal brand and gave of himself to the organization in every way possible ...

View the full article

What the heck? This sounds like a totally stupid move IMO. What are they doing this in hopes a position player can fill this spot? Its the only way this would make any sense. To say the least I am pretty disappointed in this trade and for a 7th rounder at that.

Getting younger for a guy to take up a position at LS on a rookie contract. Still doesnt completely add up to me. And when he snaps low or over Jones' head all Im going to do is shake my head at this.

Now Howie's just making trades to make trades.

The first bad snap from this guy will get him lynched by the fans

How do you give him a contract extension in Nov of last year just to ship him out this year. Better hope Lovato becomes what Dorenbos was able to do stepping right in and not missing a beat.

Jon Dorenbos is class act. We will miss him but Lovato won the job and the Eagles were able to get compensation for him. The Saints had a need. Good luck JD this season, see you at the retirement ceremony when it's time.

The sky is falling! We lost a 37 year old long snapper coming off a season ending injury. What are we going to do?

2 hours ago, bringbackHC17 said:

Trade leaders for kneelers and expect us to watch. No more for me. Peace!

This makes no sense. Besides being pathetic that you can only watch sports if every player behaves the way you want, Dorenbos was traded for a pick.

Getting a 2019 7th round pick for a 37-year-old is pretty good and saves another $1M+ in cap space and as sdsu06 said, he's "coming off a season ending injury".  Getting younger by 12 years and saving cap space is the name of the game.  Will miss you JD, best of luck to you as you take your magic show to NO.   

It's a shame because Dorenobs has been a really important piece of our special teams unit for a number of years now. But for a guy who's coming towards the end of his career and when long snappers should really be a dime a dozen... I think to get some value for him is fairly good work from Howie.

That is of course until that first long snap that goes awry!

Jon Dorenbos we as Eagles fans thank you for a great decade of work. That being said where in the US would a magician rather go then New Orleans (Ok maybe Vegas but the Raiders aren't actually playing there yet) His acts will be a hit on Bourbon St. and he will help that community continue to heal from the aftermath of Katrina even a dozen years later.

9 hours ago, DebtFreeExpress.com said:

BOO! ...Unless he was showing signs of not being able to get the job done... I can't see it.
I guess the cap strikes again.

This has nothing to do with cap space. He did not make that much money and would have played here for league minimum. Eagles did the best they could for Dorenbos by trading him to a team that needs him while getting younger at the position. It sucks, I understand that. But they insured he gets at least one more year in the league. Trust me, Jon is grateful and is in no way upset over this.
Sometimes you need to look at the big picture though. Howie probably has no idea of what Dorenbos did in the locker room for the team. If he did, this trade would have never even been dreamed of. God Bless you Jon Dorenbos. I have enjoyed your time here...

10 hours ago, 08GSXR said:

What the heck? This sounds like a totally stupid move IMO. What are they doing this in hopes a position player can fill this spot? Its the only way this would make any sense. To say the least I am pretty disappointed in this trade and for a 7th rounder at that.

NO it is not stupid. The Saints would have just picked up whomever we cut. So, do you keep a 37 year old or a 25 year old? I get it, I just don't like it.

Just one more reason. I really used to love the game and had respect for the players.Between the politics and the business I believe I have had enough.

There are a number of reasons that might make me quit watching football but this isn't one of them.

9 hours ago, DebtFreeExpress.com said:

BOO! ...Unless he was showing signs of not being able to get the job done... I can't see it.
I guess the cap strikes again.

This has nothing to do with cap space. He did not make that much money and would have played here for league minimum. Eagles did the best they could for Dorenbos by trading him to a team that needs him while getting younger at the position. It sucks, I understand that. But they insured he gets at least one more year in the league. Trust me, Jon is grateful and is in no way upset over this.
Sometimes you need to look at the big picture though. Howie probably has no idea of what Dorenbos did in the locker room for the team. If he did, this trade would have never even been dreamed of. God Bless you Jon Dorenbos. I have enjoyed your time here...

I hope you're wrong about this one
As GM, If Howie doesn't know what he did for the locker room it tells me he shouldn't be involved in personnel decisions at all.

I'm sure Jon and Drew Brees(the "other" old guy),will tear that town up for all the fans there.I was hoping Jon could retire with the team he has given his sports life to.Jon will be missed,but maybe a scenery change for him at this stage would do him some good.CLASS all the way and I wish him well in his new home

Still don't think the trades are done. This is the first year we go from 90 to 53. I believe a number of teams will be willing to give a 7th round pick to get a guy they want rather than hope he is still available after he has been cut.

I'm surprised NO didn't wait until cuts, isn't it like 5 days away? The thing that will disappoint me the most is if DB actually does a magic trick with a long snap in NO instead of here. I was hopeful on every snap that he would  do it at least once in a game. (I have no idea what 'it' would be, but i picture him snapping a football to the kicker and the kicker ends up holding a pigeon or something. I'll let you decide what he does with it).

GL JD!

ROUND 7 IS OURS FOR THE TAKING