Sign in to follow this  
ncmalko1

Lael Collins dominating

First thing first... I hate the Cowboys but the one average part of their OLINE was Doug Free. Just read Lael Collins has been absolutely dominating and a huge upgrade. That OLINE is absolutely phenomenal. Got to keep bringing in quality DLINE to combat their dominance. Not good fellas.

18 minutes ago, texasgiantfan said:

Link?

Brian Baldinger has been to Dallas, practice and graded his film ffrom  his matchup with Khalil Mack and has been hyping him up, and from someone who reads practice reports...he's been doing well. In 17 plays vs.  ack he gave up no tackles, no sacks, and no pressures....small sample size...but he looked good.

i think "dominating" is an exaggeration. He is still getting used to moving from the left to right side and sometimes has a hand placement issue that cause him problems...purely a technique thing.

all that said, huge upgrade over Doug Free who Dallas had to help with a TE and back a lot. Bottom line is he is bigger, stronger and faster than Free, and plays with a mean streak....a comparison I have heard of late is that he reminds people of Erik Williams before his car accident.

but, Dallas also got weaker at LG to balance it out, so I don't know that the OL will be better than last year, but outside of a rash of injuries, there also won't be a big drop off as many have claimed this offseason.

32 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

Brian Baldinger has been to Dallas, practice and graded his film ffrom  his matchup with Khalil Mack and has been hyping him up, and from someone who reads practice reports...he's been doing well. In 17 plays vs.  ack he gave up no tackles, no sacks, and no pressures....small sample size...but he looked good.

i think "dominating" is an exaggeration. He is still getting used to moving from the left to right side and sometimes has a hand placement issue that cause him problems...purely a technique thing.

all that said, huge upgrade over Doug Free who Dallas had to help with a TE and back a lot. Bottom line is he is bigger, stronger and faster than Free, and plays with a mean streak....a comparison I have heard of late is that he reminds people of Erik Williams before his car accident.

but, Dallas also got weaker at LG to balance it out, so I don't know that the OL will be better than last year, but outside of a rash of injuries, there also won't be a big drop off as many have claimed this offseason.

If we only had Leary back. 

11 minutes ago, gch said:

If we only had Leary back. 

Yeah, me too, but you can't pay everyone, getting ready to pay Zack Martin...have to pay Dak, Zeke and Malik Collins in the near future too. And Leary isn't close to special...he was just a good, slightly above average G with a diginerative knee condition...he could play 5-6 more years...or 5-6 more games...no way I'd give him an extension then in 2 years have dead money on the CAP. 

we need to keep investing in the OL, not always 1st rounders, though I would not be opposed next year if there a stud G or OT sitting there in the 1st, but 2nd or 3rd is fine too, that way you replace a guy like Leary with a cheaper, younger guy. We had the right idea with Chaz Green...that dude is good and was in the process of taking Doug Free's job last year until getting hurt...as usual....if he could stay healthy this line would be even better than last years....but if Dallas is on offense and there a guy laying on the field hurt or getting helped off....it's probably Chaz Green.

next year in the draft, unless we ish the bed and pick top 5-10...probably not getting a pass rusher....so go pure BPA, would be fine with the OL in end 1 and even a RB in rounds 2-3....get a back that can really spell Zeke and be a threat whose both younger a,d cheaper than McFadden/Morris....that's how you stay ahead of the CAP.

19 minutes ago, gch said:

What article did you get this from?

Brian Baldinger posted his observations on Twitter, a few as recently as yesterday, the rest from reading practice reports  and tweets of Brian Broadus on DC.com. Love that guy...former eagle, packer and cowboys scout...but he has the freedom to be honest...seen him be critical of/disagree with Dallas players and  coaches on numerous occasions, which is almost unheard of on a team website. 

6 hours ago, Stephen1 said:

Brian Baldinger posted his observations on Twitter, a few as recently as yesterday, the rest from reading practice reports  and tweets of Brian Broadus on DC.com. Love that guy...former eagle, packer and cowboys scout...but he has the freedom to be honest...seen him be critical of/disagree with Dallas players and  coaches on numerous occasions, which is almost unheard of on a team website. 

Thanks Stephen, I like Brian as well. Some of the other on the Cowboys site I just can't believe them a times as they are afraid of telling the truth it seams. Yea Leary was a good depth player that you can count on but I know he wanted and needed to start and earn as much as he can before he is forced to retire. I'm hopping we hit on a few of these young defensive players on the line and secondary. We do need a good young guard on the OL and maybe Flowers can find his former 1st round self. Playing between Smith and Frederick has to be a pretty good place to be. Drafting BPA has worked out so well for us, so as long as we don't reach for a player.  

Still think the way that whole thing worked out was ridiculous. I realize he lost tons of money but to be able to go to any team that person wants, really sucks because his agent told teams not to draft him and that he wouldn't play for them. Also just makes it worse that it was the cowboys. 

24 minutes ago, gch said:

Thanks Stephen, I like Brian as well. Some of the other on the Cowboys site I just can't believe them a times as they are afraid of telling the truth it seams. Yea Leary was a good depth player that you can count on but I know he wanted and needed to start and earn as much as he can before he is forced to retire. I'm hopping we hit on a few of these young defensive players on the line and secondary. We do need a good young guard on the OL and maybe Flowers can find his former 1st round self. Playing between Smith and Frederick has to be a pretty good place to be. Drafting BPA has worked out so well for us, so as long as we don't reach for a player.  

yeah, Broadaus is the only guy I really listen too.

I definitely don't blame Leary or any other guy that leaves via FA, they have a limited earning window, and being a guy that game in as a UDFA, this is probably his only shot a getting a good contract...even if he plays great from here on out, he'll be like 31 or so when he comes up on FA and has that knee condition...won't get much.

yup, if we hit on a couple of these defensive players it would be huge. I hear the coaching staff is convinced Jourdan Lewis (CB) and Chito (CB) are going to be future starters and that if Lewis had not injured his hammy this bad, he'd be starting now....we'll see

9 hours ago, Stephen1 said:

I watched that pre-season game vs Oakland and he did an immaculate job vs Mack.  However, most guys especially on defense try their best to remain healthy so they hold back during pre-season.

Also on the other hand I've heard reports about him struggling during camp.  I have no doubt that he's an upgrade over Free but how much remains to be seen.

The Cowboys offense looks great and IMO better than last season.  However, that defense looks worse than last season also.  There is no way I draft anything but defense in next years draft.

1 minute ago, texasgiantfan said:

I watched that pre-season game vs Oakland and he did an immaculate job vs Mack.  However, most guys especially on defense try their best to remain healthy so they hold back during pre-season.

Also on the other hand I've heard reports about him struggling during camp.  I have no doubt that he's an upgrade over Free but how much remains to be seen.

yeah, I'm not putting him in the pro bowl based on preseason, I see it more as a step in the right direction...it's better than struggling. If you suck in preseason chances are you aren't going to be any good when real bullets start flying

he has had a few bad days in practice. Nate Newton said it's because as a left-hander he's having to adjust how he uses his hands since he's moved to the right side...he said that it seems like every once in a while he does it incorrectly and will have an issue if it's in pass protection, but when his hands are right, he has no issues....run blocking wise he is mauling the ish out of everyone. He's also had a a lot of days where people were nutting their shorts because he was just murdering people...

Doug Free was more of a finesse get in your way position blocker....on a scale of 1-10 La'el is like a 9 as a run blocker, Free was a 6-7 tops, and pass blocking wise Free wasn't as quick or strong as La'el and at worst they are a wash because Free was savy and technically sound, though I think as the season goes on La'el will settle in and be better in pass protection as well.

Bottom line is outside of injuries happening, Free won't be missed. Can't say for sure how much of an upgrade he is...but he is a upgrade.

13 hours ago, ncmalko1 said:

First thing first... I hate the Cowboys but the one average part of their OLINE was Doug Free. Just read Lael Collins has been absolutely dominating and a huge upgrade. That OLINE is absolutely phenomenal. Got to keep bringing in quality DLINE to combat their dominance. Not good fellas.

My grandma would be an upgrade from Doug Free! Thank God he retired! 

5 hours ago, Jeep_Man said:

Cant wait to see Cox manhandle and abuse Collins :thumbsup:

For the most part Cox plays DT and rarely rushes from the DE spot

6 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

For the most part Cox plays DT and rarely rushes from the DE spot

Oh he does Rush from DE as well, he has owned Tyron Smith and Trent Williams at times rushing as a DE.. I can see Schwartz lining Fletch against Collins, it would be a no brainer, as Fletch would easily win this battle...

2 hours ago, Jeep_Man said:

Oh he does Rush from DE as well, he has owned Tyron Smith and Trent Williams at times rushing as a DE.. I can see Schwartz lining Fletch against Collins, it would be a no brainer, as Fletch would easily win this battle...

A no brainer huh?  I didn't know Cox went up against Collins as a RT considering he just moved there a couple months ago.  Take that BS vernacular back to TATE.

4 minutes ago, texasgiantfan said:

A no brainer huh?  I didn't know Cox went up against Collins as a RT considering he just moved there a couple months ago.  Take that BS vernacular back to TATE.

If it makes you feel any better Lael is better than any Olineman the Giants have...

3 hours ago, Jeep_Man said:

Well he better play better then he did last year. Eagles had less sacks then Dallas. How is that possible? 

He committed 3 penalties in limited play time.

I hope he dominates to 5 or 6 penalties every game.

6 hours ago, skippyx said:

He committed 3 penalties in limited play time.

I hope he dominates to 5 or 6 penalties every game.

Eh, He has a habit of letting his hands get too high, he can correct that, not of the penalties were a result of him getting beat 

10 minutes ago, electrickeagle said:

Not taking a chance on Collins still hurts.

The accusation cost him a lot of money but it gave Dallas a free 1st round pick.

There was a chance he may not have signed as a 6th or 7th rounder. It was better to be a free agent at that point (or to get drafted the next year)