Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Corey Clement And Donnel Pumphrey Await Their Roster Fates

Pump is no Sproles. and he wont be even close as a replacement for Sproles when he retires. im just not impressed with pumps overall performance over the 4 preseason games. Clement lookes better.

Pumphrey hasn't impressed me. Not as a running back, a receiver, or a punt/kick off returner. Byron Marshall has shown a lot more Sproles-like qualities than Pumphrey--sure hands, quick lateral movement, toughness, first class effort, an ability to break tackles and make players miss, etc.. The Eagles should have drafted Tarik Cohen to be Sproles replacement. That was a no brainer, in my opinion--if they were looking to replace Sproles as an offensive weapon, since Cohen is speedy, very elusive, and a very good receiver too.

Last night, Rasheed Davis showed himself to be a more impressive punt/kick off returner than Pumphrey, who was overly cautious and hesitant on returns, and when he got the blocks to get free, wasn't able to break any tackles, or make anyone miss (not a good sign). In my view, Davis showed greater speed, less hesitancy, and gave a stronger, more dynamic effort (albeit with less opportunities). Pumphrey isn't ready to play at a high level in the NFL. At best, he should spend the year on the practice squad. And yet, I doubt the Eagles will retain Davis as their punt/kick off returner--not with Sproles still around. So who's going to be the Eagles #1 kick off returner, if not Davis or Pumphrey--the oft-injured Smallwood? or Agholor?...? (Will Victor Boldin Jr. get released?)

In my opinion, the following is the best RB line up the Eagles can put together right now (short of picking up or trading for another RB): Sproles, Blount, Smallwood, Clement, Marshall... and then Pumphrey. So I'd try to stash Marshall and Pumphrey on the practice squad. If they lose Pumphrey, so be it, chalk it up to a draft mistake (though the Eagles are probably too stubborn to admit their mistake). The truth is the Eagles weren't focused enough on the RB position in the off season. Blount was an afterthought--a last minute remedy. Hopefully Smallwood will prove more durable and play great this year, or Clement will emerge as a force to be reckoned with. My money is on Clement and Marshall. Though I wanted the Eagles to draft Mixon or Cook, Perine, and Cohen.

Pump is no Sproles. and he wont be even close as a replacement for Sproles when he retires. im just not impressed with pumps overall performance over the 4 preseason games. Clement lookes better.

well pump is just getting used to punk and kick returns, he carried the ball a ton in college, I agree Clement looked far better in preseason. in my mock I was able to keep them both, I do think he has the ability to be versitile , but in no way will he fill sproles' shoes...Smallwoold actually has a shot to have a really good year if he stays healthy.
this time of year is rough, gotta get rid of some good football players, and some are likely to get picked up... and THEN you have to look at who got dropped by other teams and if they can improve your roster.

I know who I'd keep. I didn't care much for Chip Kelly but I think he had it right when he said big men beat up little men. I know there's exceptions to that rule - Sproles, but I'm not sure Pumphrey is the next Sproles. I'd rather have another physical RB on the roster than another scat back. I think Pumphrey needs a year on the PS to see if he can develop into an adequate Sproles replacement. He's got skills but he isn't NFL ready yet and showed nothing to warrant a roster spot so far. The college game and pro game are 2 different animals and college success doesn't always equate to NFL success. I think Smallwood is gonna be our #1 RB this season with Blount our short yardage and goal line guy plus Sproles... well being Sproles and making big plays in a variety of different ways.