Sign in to follow this  
DaveSpadaro

[News] Eagles Announce 16 Moves; Trim Roster To 70 Players

There are no real surprises for me on that list. Grymes reportedly played well in OTAs and pre-season practices, but he didn't really stand out in the 4 games. & I don't think he tackled quite as well as they wanted to see--although I don't recall Grymes getting beaten on any passes (which is a positive sign). Apart from losing Paul Turner--our best receiver last year!, who I believe can and will play in the NFL--I was only mildly disappointed about losing Rashard Davis. I thought Davis showed greater speed as a punt/kick off returner than Pumphrey, who didn't overly impress. In all 4 games, I can't recall Pumphrey making one player miss badly or breaking any tackles (which isn't a good sign). Though of course if Pumphrey does makes the team, & he probably will, I hope that will change.

I also hope Paul Turner finds a team that can appreciate and utilize his special gifts. He's a quicker, more talented WR than I think the Eagles have realized. Though the competition at WR was especially tough this year (a good thing), and Turner didn't get a real chance to compete, due to his injury. If Turner isn't picked up, I hope the Eagles will sign him to the practice squad again, but realize it isn't likely.

As for Adam Zaruba--he caught every ball thrown in his direction (was that two or three passes?), and looked *extremely* difficult to tackle afterwards. The guy's a truck, and even tougher to bring down than Celek (I suspect). I really liked his superior mindset and energy. Clearly, Zaruba is a great athlete, and that shouldn't be ignored. If the Eagles were to take him on as a 'developmental' project, I think they'd eventually get rewarded with a great NFL tight end (or running back?) in return. But do they have that kind of vision and patience? If no team signs Zaruba (a good possibility), I hope the Eagles will sign him to their practice squad for a year, and watch him grow--because he will.

Edited by MrSimpson
changed a few things

The Eagles screwed up again on Turner, though his injury may have played a part this year. I'd still prefer an injured Turner to a "healthy" Alligator - the guy is afraid of contact like every PAC 12 receiver. Cutting Cherry is also a bad move. They probably hope Evans will survive to make it to the PS, but who cares? With the Foles injury, though, they now are in need of a QB if Evans gets picked up. Team is going to muddle through this year as well, or they'll be mud if something happens to Wentz.

Snow ! What kind of a dope comment is that ? Turner ? A guy that couldn't stay on the field, and who's buried down the chart...

What 53 man roster "fits him in there" ?

twss

There are no real surprises for me on that list. Grymes reportedly played well in OTAs and pre-season practices, but he didn't really stand out in the 4 games. & I don't think he tackled quite as well as they wanted to see--although I don't recall Grymes getting beaten on any passes (which is a positive sign). Apart from losing Paul Turner--our best receiver last year!, who I believe can and will play in the NFL--I was only mildly disappointed about losing Rashard Davis. I thought Davis showed greater speed as a punt/kick off returner than Pumphrey, who didn't overly impress. In all 4 games, I can't recall Pumphrey making one player miss badly or breaking any tackles (which isn't a good sign). Though of course if Pumphrey does makes the team, & he probably will, I hope that will change.

I also hope Paul Turner finds a team that can appreciate and utilize his special gifts. He's a quicker, more talented WR than I think the Eagles have realized. Though the competition at WR was especially tough this year (a good thing), and Turner didn't get a real chance to compete, due to his injury. If Turner isn't picked up, I hope the Eagles will sign him to the practice squad again, but realize it isn't likely.

As for Adam Zaruba--he caught every ball thrown in his direction (was that two or three passes?), and looked *extremely* difficult to tackle afterwards. The guy's a truck, and even tougher to bring down than Celek (I suspect). I really liked his superior mindset and energy. Clearly, Zaruba is a great athlete, and that shouldn't be ignored. If the Eagles were to take him on as a 'developmental' project, I think they'd eventually get rewarded with a great NFL tight end (or running back?) in return. But do they have that kind of vision and patience? If no team signs Zaruba (a good possibility), I hope the Eagles will sign him to their practice squad for a year, and watch him grow--because he will.

I do think pual turner can find a team, he catches everything thrown at him.. good kid, I hope he has some success, just not against the eagles :-)

The Eagles screwed up again on Turner, though his injury may have played a part this year. I'd still prefer an injured Turner to a "healthy" Alligator - the guy is afraid of contact like every PAC 12 receiver. Cutting Cherry is also a bad move. They probably hope Evans will survive to make it to the PS, but who cares? With the Foles injury, though, they now are in need of a QB if Evans gets picked up. Team is going to muddle through this year as well, or they'll be mud if something happens to Wentz.

foles will be ok, and hopefully they wont need him.

I'm surprised that they cut both McGloin and Evans(moreso McGloin). With Foles availability in question, who's the b/u or #3 QB? Thought McGloin played well enough in the 3rd preseason game to be kept as the #3 QB plus he has NFL starting experience. I guess we could always sign someone of equal caliber in a pinch if needed, probably the mindset there. No other surprises on this list but there's a few players there I thought had potential - Cherry, Grymes and Zaruba but they were long shots to make this roster to begin with. The next round of cuts to get to 53 I'm sure is gonna have a lot more talented players let go, but that's how it goes. You can only keep 53.

I'm surprised that they cut both McGloin and Evans(moreso McGloin). With Foles availability in question, who's the b/u or #3 QB? Thought McGloin played well enough in the 3rd preseason game to be kept as the #3 QB plus he has NFL starting experience. I guess we could always sign someone of equal caliber in a pinch if needed, probably the mindset there. No other surprises on this list but there's a few players there I thought had potential - Cherry, Grymes and Zaruba but they were long shots to make this roster to begin with. The next round of cuts to get to 53 I'm sure is gonna have a lot more talented players let go, but that's how it goes. You can only keep 53.

Like to sign Ebanvs to the PS.McGloin looked "OK" ONE game,he stunk up the rest of the time.Evans has more upside.Raw but if on the PS,maybe he can develop.if not,there are alot of project QB's out there to put on the PS