Sign in to follow this  
VaBeach_Eagle

108 Modern-Era Nominees For The Hall of Fame's Class of 2018

108 Modern-Era Nominees For The Hall of Fame's Class of 2018

http://www.profootballhof.com/108-modern-era-nominees-for-the-hall-of-fames-class-of-2018/

09/12/2017

The Modern-Era nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2018 is comprised of 108 players and coaches. Among the group announced are 11 first-year eligible players including wide receiver Randy Moss, linebackers Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher and defensive back Ronde Barber.

The roster of nominees consists of 53 offensive players, 38 defensive players, five special teams players and 12 coaches. The Modern-Era nominees will be reduced to 25 semifinalists in November and, from there, to 15 finalists in January.

MODERN-ERA NOMINEES FOR THE PRO FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME CLASS OF 2018

*Finalist in 2017; Underline indicates first year of eligibility (Players and coaches must have last played or coached at least five full seasons to be eligible for nomination. Therefore, any individual who last played or coached in 2012 are eligible for the first time in 2018).

QUARTERBACKS
(5) – Randall Cunningham, Rich Gannon, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Phil Simms

RUNNING BACKS
(10) – Tiki Barber, Earnest Byner, Roger Craig, Corey Dillon, Eddie George, Edgerrin James, Lorenzo Neal, Fred Taylor, Herschel Walker (also KR), Ricky Watters

WIDE RECEIVERS
(13) – *Isaac Bruce, Donald Driver, Henry Ellard (also PR), Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, *Terrell Owens, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Steve Smith, John Taylor, Hines Ward

TIGHT END
(4) – Mark Bavaro, Ben Coates, Ferrell Edmunds, Jay Novacek

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
(21) – Willie Anderson (T), Matt Birk (C), *Tony Boselli (T), Lomas Brown (T), Ruben Brown (G), Ray Donaldson (C), *Alan Faneca (G), Bill Fralic (G/T), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Steve Hutchinson (G), *Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), *Kevin Mawae (C/G), Tom Nalen (C), Nate Newton (G), Bart Oates (C), Jeff Saturday (C), Richmond Webb (T), Steve Wisniewski (G)

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN
(11) – La’Roi Glover (DT/NT), Leonard Marshall (DE/DT), Keith Millard (DT/NT/DE), Leslie O’Neal (DE), Michael Dean Perry (DT/DE), Simeon Rice (DE), Richard Seymour (DT), Neil Smith (DE), Greg Townsend (DE/NT/LB), Kyle Vanden Bosch (DE), Bryant Young (DT)

LINEBACKERS
(15) – Carl Banks, Cornelius Bennett, Tedy Bruschi, Seth Joyner, Ray Lewis, Greg Lloyd, Wilber Marshall, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Joey Porter, Darryl Talley, Zach Thomas, Brian Urlacher

DEFENSIVE BACKS
(12) – Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Ronde Barber (CB/S), LeRoy Butler (S), *Brian Dawkins (SS), Rodney Harrison (S), *Ty Law (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), *John Lynch (S), Dennis Smith (S), Everson Walls (CB), Darren Woodson (S)

KICKERS/PUNTER
(3) – Gary Anderson (K), Sean Landeta (P), Nick Lowery (K)

SPECIAL TEAMS
(2) – Brian Mitchell (KR/PR also RB), Steve Tasker (ST also WR)

COACHES
(12) – *Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, Tom Flores, Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Richie Petitbon, Dan Reeves, Marty Schottenheimer, Clark Shaughnessy, D Vermeil

Web God
(1)
Dave Spadaro

Eighteen finalists will be presented to the full 48-member Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee during its annual selection meeting on "Selection Saturday,” the day before Super Bowl LII. The finalists will consist of 15 Modern-Era finalists, the recently named Senior Finalists, Robert Brazile and Jerry Kramer, and the Contributor Finalist, Bobby Beathard.

The Selection Committee will meet on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018 in Minneapolis, Minn. to elect the Class of 2018. While there is no set number for any class of enshrinees, the selection process by-laws provide that between four and eight new members will be selected. 

The Senior Finalists and Contributor Finalist are voted "yes” or "no” for election at the annual selection meeting and must receive at least 80 percent support from the Committee to be elected. The Modern-Era Finalists will be trimmed during the meeting from 15 to 10 and then from 10 to 5. The remaining five finalists will be voted on individually, "yes” or "no” and must receive the same 80 percent positive vote as the Seniors and Contributor Finalists to earn election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Class of 2018 will be announced during the "NFL Honors” nationally broadcast award show that evening.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2018 will be formally enshrined next August in Canton. The enshrinement is one of three marquee events, along with the Hall of Fame Game and the Concert for Legends, that are held in the spectacular Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium during Enshrinement Week Powered by Johnson Controls.

11 hours ago, nveagle5 said:

Too many people get voted in.

It should be more exclusive. 

I definitely think that the 'first ballot HOF' inductees should be tightened up. That should be an honor for the very best of the very best of the very best. It should be very rare. Someone like Sapp-sucker should never have gotten in on the first ballot.

Cunningham had more passing yards and passing TDs than Jim Kelly from 1987 through 1990.

Think about that. He also ran for 2700 yards and 18 TDs during those seasons.

Cunningham was far superior to Kelly, but Kelly was surrounded by a great team full of Hall of Fame players.

Kelly threw the ball to Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed and James Lofton ... He has 21 TDs and 28 picks in his playoff career with those teammates!

He was the anchor on that team and they put him in first ballot.

Cunningham put up almost identical regular season numbers to Kelly (if you add rushing and passing yards and TDs)

Kelly did that with a HoF runner, a pro bowl line, HoF WRs, and Levy/Marchibroda putting him in the K-gun no-huddle.

Cunningham had Haddix/Toney/Byars/etc. a slop O-line, and Buddy/Kotite who knew nothing about offense (go make 5 plays for me Buddy and 4-35 in his last 39 Richie the K-hole).

Cunningham did it in the real NFC in the mighty NFC East.

He played in division with 7 Super Bowl winning teams. (86, 87, 90, 91, 92, 93, 95)

Kelly dominated a weak AFC then fell apart the second he saw those teams, but he got them in the Super Bowl.

The best that Bills team ever looked was when Reich was their QB in the '92 playoffs.

Any Hall that includes Aikman, Kelly, Stabler, and Namath should include Cunningham.

Anyone who does the research, watched the games, and disagrees is just a fool.

While I love Randall and he had an undeniable string of great seasons, he never really won anything. He got hurt in what should have been his best season and disappeared for a bit until going to Vikings. He's hall of very good or hall of freak talent. Kelly went to four straight SB. No one has ever done that. Emmitt smith had greatest line of time. 70's Steelers had an amazing array of talent. It is what it is. If you don't win anything you need to be a god among your peers and he wasn't. 

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, skippyx said:

Any Hall that includes Aikman, Kelly, Stabler, and Namath should include Cunningham.

I used to say that Namath shouldn't be in the Hall because of his stats. But I stopped saying that because I only really remember his last 2 season, one of which was with the Rams. I remember him from before that, but only from commercials and the Brady Bunch and things like that. So it wasn't really fair of me to comment on his career, since I really only remember two seasons of it, and those weren't even full seasons.

On the topic of Cunningham, I am completely biased and will forever insist that he belongs in. But if Mike McMahon was on the list of nominees for his time with the Eagles, I'd vote for him too... I just wouldn't be as insistent in his case... :huh: 

Ok, maybe not Mike McMahon...

7 hours ago, homerpat said:

While I love Randall and he had an undeniable string of great seasons, he never really won anything. He got hurt in what should have been his best season and disappeared for a bit until going to Vikings. He's hall of very good or hall of freak talent. Kelly went to four straight SB. No one has ever done that. Emmitt smith had greatest line of time. 70's Steelers had an amazing array of talent. It is what it is. If you don't win anything you need to be a god among your peers and he wasn't. 

His kicker shanked a gimme FG or he would have been in the Super Bowl.

Kelly was carried to the Super Bowl by a fantastic team.

Frank Reich apples to apples was a plus playoff performer on that team.

Kelly was a negative playoff performer

In his 8 playoff losses he had 9 TDs and 16 picks. He was the reason they lost many of those games.

Its 5 TDs and 14 picks in 7 of those games (He did lose a hard fought game vs Cleveland in the '88 season)

In his 9 playoff wins he had 12 TDs and 12 picks. He carried no one. ( 2 very good games vs LA and 1 against Miami against 6 whatever games)

The weak sauce AFC parted before a Hall of Fame coach and a team loaded with great players

• Marv Levy, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, James Lofton, and Bruce Smith are all in the Hall.  

The team was also loaded with pro bowl talent.

• Four of the five offensive lineman made multiple pro bowls during that run. (Ballard, Hull, Wolford, and Ritcher)
  • Bennett, Talley, and Conlan were all pro bowl LBs.
  • Odom and Jones made the pro bowl in the secondary.
  • Even Tasker was a pro bowler on special teams.

Kelly had 3 playoff games above an 86 rating in 17 tries. Cunningham had 4 in 12 games.

Reich had 2 playoff games above 115 rating in 2 starts with the same team as Kelly!

Kelly was like 2014 Nick Foles in the playoffs but he gets credit for 'getting to Super Bowls'

Reich had 6 TDs and 1 pick in 2 starts in the 92 playoffs and Kelly had 1 TD and 2 picks in the AFCCG but Kelly took them to that Super Bowl?

The hall is full of players who did not win anything.

Moon, Fouts, Marino, Tarkenton

Sayers, Curtis Martin, Dickerson, OJ, Campbell, Floyd Little!, LaDanian Tomlinson

Carter, Tim Brown, Charlie Joiner, Steve Largent, 

Ozzie Newsome, Jackie Smith?, Kellen Winslow

Those are just skill position players.

(I think Largent, Marino, Dickerson, and LaDanian all have better resumes than Cunningham, but the winning bar does not exist.)

Fouts, Joiner, and Winslow got to play in an innovative pass-happy offense for years and I am fine with them in the Hall. They are not better than Cunningham.

Fouts was 86-84-1 and 3-4 in the playoffs.

So maybe Reich gets nod over both then. Let's be honest hall is flawed. Joe I have more picks than tds Namath is in

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:47 PM, homerpat said:

So maybe Reich gets nod over both then. Let's be honest hall is flawed. Joe I have more picks than tds Namath is in

I remember reading something about 10 or 15 years ago, but I don't know how true it is. What I read was that part of the merger agreement was that the Pro Football Hall of Fame would induct the AFL's stars, regardless of whether their NFL careers were Hall worthy or not. So if that's true, that would explain Namath.

I'd still like someone to explain Swann though. Leave the Super Bowl out of the equation, and why is he in the Hall of Fame?

On 9/18/2017 at 6:47 PM, homerpat said:

Swans number are barely better than Pinkston when stacked side by side. Minus tds of course

Swann is in for the same reason as Aikman. He elevated his game in the Super Bowl (pun intended)

His regular season stats are completely unremarkable.

Its a good debate to have about stat compiling vs greatness. Charlie Joyner had 3.8 yards per game more than Swann and played longer, but only won 3 playoff games.

Example: Terrell Davis was 2x the player that Jerome Bettis was.

Bettis never led the league in rushing and finished with a 3.9 yards per carry. He was a 3.2 ypc with 48.1 yards per game back in the playoffs.

He is most famous for fumbling away a playoff game only to be saved by Big Ben tackling the Colts DB.

League MVP, Super Bowl MVP, 2k season, 4.6 yards per carry, and his incredible playoff stats (5.6 ypc 142.5 yards per game) make him a first ballot guy in my book.

He is most famous for running for 157 yards and 3 TDs with a migrane to win Super Bowl MVP and get Elway his ring.

Vinny Testaverde stat compiled more TDs and yards passing than Joe Montana or Steve Young.

If stat compiling is most important to anyone then they are bad at understanding football.

Baseball may be the better sport for them.