Procus

Sliding NFL ratings could throw networks for a loss

I think the one positive out of all of this is that the owners have delayed giving Goodell an extension.  Who knows, if this trend continues, maybe they fire him once and for all.

10 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

While SOME of this may be anthem protests, that to me is grossly overblown.

Cord cutting is a much bigger problem as while NFL ratings are down, overall network ratings are actually down FAR WORSE than NFL games and Monday Night Football is actually UP this season. 

This is 100% agree with.

Maybe they should make their broadcasts free online.  I'm in RI and trying to watch and Eagles game up here takes 3 different network subscriptions or a $100 trip to the bar every week.  I've had it with the NFL lock down on broadcasts... 

On 10/27/2017 at 11:44 PM, Procus said:

I think the one positive out of all of this is that the owners have delayed giving Goodell an extension.  Who knows, if this trend continues, maybe they fire him once and for all.

Nobody needs to make 50 million a year in this country especially an NFL Commissioner that's abused his powers on a regular basis. When he needed to have a backbone, and fine players for ignoring team policy in regards to anthem he turned yellow. He was assertive however when he threatened fines for anyone honoring killed police officers in Dallas.

He also dropped the hammer on states that didn't want men with **** in women's bathrooms.

To me it doesn't sound like the description you'd want in an NFL Commissioner asking for 50 million.

Denver VS KC was the lowest-rated week 8 MNF game ever.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/10/nfl-ratings-week-8-mnf-weak-yet/

Kansas City’s win was the lowest rated and least-watched Week 8 MNF game ever, falling below the previous marks set last year. Dating back to last season, 17 of the last 26 Monday night games have had less than a 7.0 rating — topping the previous seven seasons combined (14).

I know the game wasn't great but it was still a bit entertaining and certainly not that bad. Makes me wonder how bad the rating for this coming week's game will be (Detroit VS Green Bay)

3 hours ago, metalhead0043 said:

Denver VS KC was the lowest-rated week 8 MNF game ever.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/10/nfl-ratings-week-8-mnf-weak-yet/

I know the game wasn't great but it was still a bit entertaining and certainly not that bad. Makes me wonder how bad the rating for this coming week's game will be (Detroit VS Green Bay)

It looked like it was going to be a repeat of the 40-0 rout by the Ravens over the Dolphins and had that look early on.

But, but, it has nothing to do with the protests. Nothing I tell ya, nothing!!! (Even though it is Veterans Day and this happened in Chicago of all places)

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/11/hey-nfl-bears-packers-game-half-empty-soldier-field-aint-good-folks/

Hey NFL=> Bears Packers Game HALF EMPTY at Soldier Field — This Ain’t Good Folks!

by Jim Hoft

image.thumb.jpeg.4af2488b724b6fb1504363349143c59d.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Procus said:

But, but, it has nothing to do with the protests. Nothing I tell ya, nothing!!! (Even though it is Veterans Day and this happened in Chicago of all places)

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/11/hey-nfl-bears-packers-game-half-empty-soldier-field-aint-good-folks/

You guys need to stop using these ridiculous websites for news.

However, the numbers don’t indicate that any boycotts, if indeed they happened, had a meaningful numerical effect. In fact, total attendance at the eight early games on Sunday, as reported by the NFL, was up about 1 percent over season averages. Here’s the breakdown, with averages prior to Sunday’s games.

• Buffalo: Average 68,944; Sunday: 67,501
• Chicago: Average 61,779; Sunday: 61,285 • Jacksonville: Average 59,553; Sunday: 67,164 • Detroit: Average 63,367; Sunday: 64,646 • Indy: Average 63,801; Sunday: 66,146 • Tennessee: Average 67,356; Sunday: 67,432 • Tampa: Average 60,894; Sunday: 57,911 • Washington: Average: 77,451; Sunday: 74,476

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/despite-threat-boycott-attendance-increases-sunday-nfl-games-234459264.html

1 minute ago, zenclaybourne said:

You guys need to stop using these ridiculous websites for news.

However, the numbers don’t indicate that any boycotts, if indeed they happened, had a meaningful numerical effect. In fact, total attendance at the eight early games on Sunday, as reported by the NFL, was up about 1 percent over season averages. Here’s the breakdown, with averages prior to Sunday’s games.

• Buffalo: Average 68,944; Sunday: 67,501
• Chicago: Average 61,779; Sunday: 61,285 • Jacksonville: Average 59,553; Sunday: 67,164 • Detroit: Average 63,367; Sunday: 64,646 • Indy: Average 63,801; Sunday: 66,146 • Tennessee: Average 67,356; Sunday: 67,432 • Tampa: Average 60,894; Sunday: 57,911 • Washington: Average: 77,451; Sunday: 74,476

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/despite-threat-boycott-attendance-increases-sunday-nfl-games-234459264.html

Sorry pal, other sites say otherwise:

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Bolt/Chicago-Bears-see-drastic-dip-in-attendance-against-Green-Bay-Packers-110385903

Based on my viewing habits I figured out a problem with the ratings. I sat down at 1:00, with the Eagles on bye, looking at a bad slate of games on cable TV: Redskins and Cowboys games I don't want to watch, a pointless Steelers-Colts game, and the Pats going to destroy the Broncos in prime time.  So I got up and watched barely a few minutes of live NFL football (Redskins-Vikings ended up a good game so I watched some of it). But I want to see the good teams. The Rams and Saints played blow-outs, but they the good teams now. The Jags, another good team, played an overtime game with the Chargers. Even the Lions-Browns game was entertaining for a while. I would have watched any of those over the games I had on my TV.

Ten years ago I would have sat and watched the live games on TV anyway, catching up on highlights in between action. Instead I turned on the radio that does the constant highlight thing, did some chores, and kept up with the scores that way. Actually, I streamed it all through my cell phone. Does internet streaming count in the ratings? I am sure somebody keeps track of it.

There's the kicker: I am not consuming less football. But because of internet streaming, podcasts, and just a desire to have more choice, I am consuming football in less traditional means. Less TV/radio, more on the internet where I can watch/listen to what I desire on demand. These days I want more choice.