Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Procus

Sliding NFL ratings could throw networks for a loss

Recommended Posts

Btw, I have co-workers who travel overseas regularly. They've told me multiple times you can watch any NFL game you want, on any device you want, completely free. 100% legal. 

Now some ambitious Europeans, like to setup a web server on their network, create a website, and then charge US people a monthly rate to watch these games they get for free. Eventually the NFL shuts them down. But essentially, the drastic difference in cost dependent upon your geographical region has created the illegal streaming we see today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NIBGoldenchild said:

Btw, I have co-workers who travel overseas regularly. They've told me multiple times you can watch any NFL game you want, on any device you want, completely free. 100% legal. 

Now some ambitious Europeans, like to setup a web server on their network, create a website, and then charge US people a monthly rate to watch these games they get for free. Eventually the NFL shuts them down. But essentially, the drastic difference in cost dependent upon your geographical region has created the illegal streaming we see today. 

Yep, thats the truth. I know at least a dozen people here in the states that use proxy servers with IP's from Europe, and watch the games here in the states

From a security standpoint, it's a bit dangerous to do, but they do it. I dont think it's worth the potential trouble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comericals going over the game is a making it hard for me to watch .  Come back from the 500th break  and its already 2nd or 3rd down ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, downundermike said:

The biggest factor is cord cutting and people streaming games illegally.  It does not help that it costs you 300 dollars to watch your team if you are out of market.  I have been quiet content to chill in my office, listen to Merrill and Mike and glance at the red zone channel the last few years.

if the NFL wants to get its viewership back up, they need to look at changing season ticket to mirror MLBTV.

Good point but you know you can get gamepass for $90 per year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ASG15 said:

Good point but you know you can get gamepass for $90 per year. 

Can you watch live, and sync your local radio announcers to the tv broadcast ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, downundermike said:

Can you watch live, and sync your local radio announcers to the tv broadcast ??

You can watch live with a VPN but there is about a 10 second delay.  Express VPN costs about $9 per month

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Procus said:

Lol.  Like you speak for all football fans.

Just like you try to do in every post that insists this is all Kaepernick's fault. The problem is pretty simple: the product sucks. The NFL has systematically changed the game for the worse in many ways over a 15-year period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Procus said:

Lol.  Like you speak for all football fans.

Yea except you just tried to speak for all of them. How many Eagles fans here are boycotting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's a combination of the refs, commercials, and game times of certain games. We don't always live in the area of the team we want to watch. Plus sometimes they put really boring games on tv.

I think viewers would skyrocket if NFL went to their own streaming service where you can watch only your own team or a select teams for a reasonable price without blackouts

I don't think the Kaep or any of the kneeling is a big problem. We wouldn't even know if the networks didn't show it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about the fact we keep hearing more and more about the head trauma playing football causes? Knowing that these guys are out there killing themselves isn't exactly comforting.

I have absolutely zero sympathy for the NFL. I'm not talking about players and their head trauma, I'm talking about the league and its falling ratings. Wanted to make that clear, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, boogyman said:

I blame over saturation. Thursday night games  especially hurting ratings more than helping.

I was thinking earlier, they should not do Thursday night all year, but during the bye weeks, and you only play Thursday coming off a bye 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I was thinking earlier, they should not do Thursday night all year, but during the bye weeks, and you only play Thursday coming off a bye 

Just scrap it imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Procus said:

Lol.  Like you speak for all football fans.

I think Kaepernick has done the opposite for me.

I am proud of the 32 individuals who own NFL teams for not hiring that piece of garbage. (his fashion choices, social media posts, and interviews reveal his true ugliness)

I am watching as much football as possible and laughing at liberals who think forcing a 4-20 clown on an NFL team is a charity worth time and effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may boycott the Thursday game this week.

If you take teams that were a combined 6-26 last year and throw them in Prime Time then you must not want people to watch anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, skippyx said:

I think Kaepernick has done the opposite for me.

I am proud of the 32 individuals who own NFL teams for not hiring that piece of garbage. (his fashion choices, social media posts, and interviews reveal his true ugliness)

I am watching as much football as possible and laughing at liberals who think forcing a 4-20 clown on an NFL team is a charity worth time and effort.

Interesting... you consider him a piece of "garbage," do you think that negatively on those who he is trying to protest against?

Btw, it has nothing to do with the flag or the armed services.

I've found a lot of times, folks opinions about the protests are, "When I watch football, I don't want to see people..."

In other words, I don't want to be reminded about the injustices of this country, cause I can't relate to them.  I just want to watch football.  

Thow that ball!

Catch that pass!

 RUN @#$# RUN!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EagleRob40 said:

Interesting... you consider him a piece of "garbage," do you think that negatively on those who he is trying to protest against?

Btw, it has nothing to do with the flag or the armed services.

I've found a lot of times, folks opinions about the protests are, "When I watch football, I don't want to see people..."

In other words, I don't want to be reminded about the injustices of this country, cause I can't relate to them.  I just want to watch football.  

Thow that ball!

Catch that pass!

 RUN @#$# RUN!

Skippy is a piece of garbage himself, dont waste your time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2017 at 10:40 PM, downundermike said:

Not saying local markets pay, but for out of market, MLB tv is a far superior service.  It's only 100 bucks, can watch on all devices and phones, and u can even sync up local radio broadcast to TV feed.  100x superior service to season ticket.  And for a 1/3 of the cost, you get 162 games per team instead of 16.

Not quite 162 (due to blackouts and ESPN/FOX games, etc.) but you do get the bulk of them.   I was a T-mobile customer last year and got the main package FREE through them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think the oversaturation of college football on Saturdays does a lot of it.  You can have 10-11 games going all at once in some instances, especially in the 3:30-7:00 PM ET broadcast window between CBS (SEC), NBC (Notre Dame), FOX (Big 10/Big 12/Pac-12), ABC (any conference besides the SEC), ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, FS1, Big 10 Network and SEC Network.  Then there is the ACC Network and all the regional channels showing games.  And on Saturdays, football usually is non-stop from Noon ET until sometimes after 2:00 AM ET Sunday morning.  Some are simply "footballed out" from watching college football on Saturdays and don't want to endure Sunday with the NFL.  Add to that in some parts of the country, college football is actually BIGGER than the NFL ever has been and that likely is responsible for at least SOME of the ratings decline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2017 at 1:45 PM, Swimm said:

Yea except you just tried to speak for all of them. How many Eagles fans here are boycotting?

I don't think you understand the concept of incremental losses. Also, the people on this board are not an accurate representation of all football fans. People who will discuss the pros and cons of a backup LB in February are not going to stop watching football any time soon.

When you rob the audience of their momentary diversion it doesn't take some people long to figure out they can easily find another diversion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think one of the reasons that ratings might decline is because of the emergence of fantasy football and the hold it sometimes has over people. They become fixated on the players they have on their team. The "team" they root for on Sunday is a mixture of guys from teams throughout the league. They watch games only to look for touchdowns and rushing yardage and things of that nature.

Here's an example. Suppose you grow up as a dedicated fan of a particular team. For the sake of argument, let's say it's the Cleveland Browns. This actually works well as an example because there was a gap of years when they didn't even have a team. Suppose around that time you develop a huge interest in fantasy football. It helps you through the dark years without a team. And you continue playing it through the years. Then suppose that interest wanes for some reason. Maybe work. Maybe family. Whatever. But you're still going to be a fan of the Cleveland Browns. You're still going to watch their games.

Let's contrast that to someone who grows up without any team loyalty. He spends a couple decades watching football every Sunday just to see how his players are doing. So what happens to that guy when his interest in FF wanes? He doesn't have a real team to support. He's not dedicated to the Browns...or Steelers...or Giants...or anyone. What's he going to do on Sundays? Yeah, he might watch football from time to time, but it's not going to be a "must" for him.

I think at this point we've raised a generation of people like this. And furthermore, what happens to the children of those fans? They're being raised by someone without a team loyalty, so how can they be expected to develop true loyalty to a specific team? And if they don't follow in their father's (mother's) footsteps and get into fantasy football, they probably won't become a football watcher. Or if they do, it'll be a casual interest. They're not going to be watching every week.

I think this is a factor. The percentage of football watchers who are die-hard fans like us has gone down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2017 at 11:10 AM, EaglesRocker97 said:

Just like you try to do in every post that insists this is all Kaepernick's fault. The problem is pretty simple: the product sucks. The NFL has systematically changed the game for the worse in many ways over a 15-year period.

Yes, and it is just a coincidence that the ratings decline started when Kaep started with his bs.  Just a coincidence.  The product didn't suck until that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2017 at 1:45 PM, Swimm said:

Yea except you just tried to speak for all of them. How many Eagles fans here are boycotting?

Nope - never said I speak for all fans.  But people like you have trouble with empathy - you can't  see things from the perspective of others who have differing views than yours.  They are the ones who are tuning out.

And Eagles fans who frequent a team message board aren't going to tune out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Procus said:

Nope - never said I speak for all fans.  But people like you have trouble with empathy - you can't  see things from the perspective of others who have differing views than yours.  They are the ones who are tuning out.

And Eagles fans who frequent a team message board aren't going to tune out. 

 Is this one of those feelings over facts things?  I'm simply telling you that Kap and  the so called boycott has little to do with the rating drops. No one gives a crap about a crappy rich QB who didnt even vote. The people boycotting are mostly casuals who contributed very little to the product in the first place.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not forget Friday night High School football, which national ranked teams are on espn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites