Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Procus

Sliding NFL ratings could throw networks for a loss

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, nveagle5 said:

Let's not forget Friday night High School football, which national ranked teams are on espn.

That is true to some extent, along with the one or two college games on Fridays, though nowhere near the oversaturation of College Football on Saturdays.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Procus said:

Yes, and it is just a coincidence that the ratings decline started when Kaep started with his bs.  Just a coincidence.  The product didn't suck until that time.

The game has been going downhill long before Kaepernick started his little schtick.

I know a lot of people who have been big time turned off by all the rule changes in the last 4-5 years. Like me, they dont get nearly as enthused about the games as they used to, because they've basically castrated the game by trying to over-protect a bunch of huge guys in an extremely violent contact sport

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gmen4ever said:

The game has been going downhill long before Kaepernick started his little schtick.

I know a lot of people who have been big time turned off by all the rule changes in the last 4-5 years. Like me, they dont get nearly as enthused about the games as they used to, because they've basically castrated the game by trying to over-protect a bunch of huge guys in an extremely violent contact sport

Sloppy play, horrible/excessive officiating coupled with over-commercialization hasn't helped.

Not great watch when ..

 

>And the kick is good

*Commercial break*

>Kickoff goes out of the endzone

* Commercial break*

>QB calls timeout as playclock hits 1

*Commercial break*

>RB fumbles ball. Change of possession

*Commercial break*

 >5 yard pass play

>2 minute warning before the half

*Commercial break*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Sloppy play, horrible/excessive officiating coupled with over-commercialization hasn't helped.

Not great watch when ..

 

>And the kick is good

*Commercial break*

>Kickoff goes out of the endzone

* Commercial break*

>QB calls timeout as playclock hits 1

*Commercial break*

>RB fumbles ball. Change of possession

*Commercial break*

 >5 yard pass play

>2 minute warning before the half

*Commercial break*

Excellent point, and thats yet another reason, especially for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Additionally, how do they really know how many people are down at the local sports bar watching a game, there is two places right by my house that have NFL season ticket and they are packed every Sunday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vincent_NJG said:

Sloppy play, horrible/excessive officiating coupled with over-commercialization hasn't helped.

Not great watch when ..

 

>And the kick is good

*Commercial break*

>Kickoff goes out of the endzone

* Commercial break*

>QB calls timeout as playclock hits 1

*Commercial break*

>RB fumbles ball. Change of possession

*Commercial break*

 >5 yard pass play

>2 minute warning before the half

*Commercial break*

Yup. One of the most annoying things is when they go to commercial break with 30 seconds to go before the end of a quarter or TMW. Why they can’t just let 1 or 2 plays play out is beyond me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could have a potentially devastating result on the salary cap.  The cap is determined by revenue and teams have been operating as if the bubble would never burst.  But if ratings continue to slide, networks will have leverage next time negotiations start up and the tv contracts become less lucrative.  That means profit loss and then smaller salary caps.  This will cripple many teams, including us, that have razor thin cap room as it is.  

 

So what happens?  Teams cut their big contract players?  (rumor is the players association is going hard for guaranteed contracts during the next CBA)  Implementing a luxury tax while teams adjust?  Doing away with the cap? (something most don't want to see)

 

Quote

How is the NFL Salary Cap determined? 
 

Answer: The Cap is determined through a complicated calculation system, which has changed with the latest extension of the CBA. The Cap is based on income that the teams earn during a League Year. Originally that "pot" was limited to what was known as Defined Gross Revenues (DGR), which consisted of the money earned from the national televison contract, ticket sales, and NFL merchandise sales. In 2006 the CBA was modified, and the "pot" was expanded to include total revenue. Thus, other sources of revenue, including such other items as naming rights and local advertising, were added. As was the case with the original DGR, the expanded revenue is divided equally amongst all 32 teams for purposes of calculating the salary cap.

 

For all of you nerds out there, here is the actual mathematical calculation:

 

The newest edition of the CBA has a term, "All Revenues" (AR), which pretty much includes all revenue streams. The CBA spells ou the particulars over the course of about 10 pages, but in a nutshell the AR includes ticket sales, revenue from luxury box suites and premium seating, local and national broadcasting (TV/radio/Internet) royalties, concessions, parking, local advertising, stadium leasing, and merchadising. The AR is then divided into 3 distinct brackets: League Media (essentially revue from regular-season games), NFL Ventures/Post Season (self-explanatory) and Local (more or less revenue generated from preseason games). Now, fo r the part that you have been waiting for, the distibution of these revenues:

 

   Projected AR x CBA Percentage = Players Share of AR. This is called the Player Cost Amount. For 2011, that amount was $4,556,800,000 (roughly $142.4 M per team).

 

   Player Cost Amount minus Projected League wide Benefits = Amount Available for Player Salaries. For 2011, that amount was $3,852,000,000.

 

   Amount Available for Player Salaries / Number of Teams = Unadjusted Salary Cap per Team. For 2011, that amount was (3,852,000,000/32 =) $120.375 M.

 

   The CBA Percentage is as follows: Players receive 55% of AR (Media), 45% of AR (NFL Venture/Post Season) and 40% of AR (Local). Overall, the players receive between 47% and 48.5% of total revenue. More specifically, in years 2012-2014 the overall percentage is capped at 48%. For years 2015-2020 the percentage is capped at 48.5%.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Procus said:

Yes, and it is just a coincidence that the ratings decline started when Kaep started with his bs.  Just a coincidence.  The product didn't suck until that time.

He must also be at fault for the Emmys having the worst 2 years in ratings as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pallidrone said:

He must also be at fault for the Emmys having the worst 2 years in ratings as well.

 

As well as Grammys, VMAs, Oscars, Golden Globes etc. 

People are getting tired of smug rich celebrities shamelessly pushing their political agendas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2017 at 7:54 AM, EagleRob40 said:

Interesting... you consider him a piece of "garbage," do you think that negatively on those who he is trying to protest against?

Btw, it has nothing to do with the flag or the armed services.

I've found a lot of times, folks opinions about the protests are, "When I watch football, I don't want to see people..."

In other words, I don't want to be reminded about the injustices of this country, cause I can't relate to them.  I just want to watch football.  

Thow that ball!

Catch that pass!

 RUN @#$# RUN!

You are the problem.

i was sick to my stomach about Freddie Gray and all cases of actual police abuse. Clowns think I can't be against police brutality as well as being against 4-20 QBs who fling race-baiting poo. 

Fools like you think you can protest something while being garbage about it and still be admired if the cause is trendy enough.  You are wrong.

Humans who do not treat others with respect deserve no respect. Kaepernick is on a different planet from respect.

BTW, the UN just reported 40.3 million slaves in 2016 with a ton in Africa. That jerk was in Africa complaining about US slaves from 160 years ago. #ignorant clown

Malcolm Jenkins ptotests and acts like a respectful person and nobody has a problem. People who are not stupid can get the distinction.

I literally listed 3 reasons why I considered Kaepernick garbage and you pretended they were not my reasons and assigned me a 4th reason (anthem kneeling). You are not very good at reading and comprehension, are you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

The game has been going downhill long before Kaepernick started his little schtick.

I know a lot of people who have been big time turned off by all the rule changes in the last 4-5 years. Like me, they dont get nearly as enthused about the games as they used to, because they've basically castrated the game by trying to over-protect a bunch of huge guys in an extremely violent contact sport

The quality of football went down the drain with the new collective bargaining agreement.   You can't over practice your players during the OTAs, or TC. Now September of early regular season NFL football is more NFL preseason expanded.  The starters just don't practice enough anymore.   Back in the late 1970's NFL training camp was at least six weeks of tackling, running, and hitting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, paco said:

This could have a potentially devastating result on the salary cap.  The cap is determined by revenue and teams have been operating as if the bubble would never burst.  But if ratings continue to slide, networks will have leverage next time negotiations start up and the tv contracts become less lucrative.  That means profit loss and then smaller salary caps.  This will cripple many teams, including us, that have razor thin cap room as it is.  

 

So what happens?  Teams cut their big contract players?  (rumor is the players association is going hard for guaranteed contracts during the next CBA)  Implementing a luxury tax while teams adjust?  Doing away with the cap? (something most don't want to see)

 

 

I think the impact of falling viewership on future TV contracts is the elephant in the room. How many companies - and governments - have plotted annual increasing revenues and believe that trend will continue forever. Then a recession happens and OH CRAP! It won't take a recession for the NFL salary cap to be impacted, just declining viewership (like we're seeing how). The next NFL TV contract and subsequent NFLPA negotiations may be 'interesting'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

The next NFL TV contract and subsequent NFLPA negotiations may be 'interesting'.

I think there's a perfect storm brewing for an extended work stoppage. You've got this TV deal looming large and if ratings keep dropping then so too does the next TV contract and revenue as a whole. On the flip side of that, I think you're going to see the players want guaranteed contracts like Paco mentioned. Asking for guaranteed contracts is essentially asking for a bigger piece of the pie. The problem is that the "pie" will shrink if ratings and revenue from the next TV deal are down. That's just an ugly situation all around, and it doesn't even account for things like player discipline and other issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, vincent_NJG said:

As well as Grammys, VMAs, Oscars, Golden Globes etc. 

People are getting tired of smug rich celebrities shamelessly pushing their political agendas.

Don't forget that Kaep is also the reason why television watching has dramatically decreased over the past 6 years. He is the cause of all things wrong with TV!

 

Nielsen-Traditional-TV-Viewing-by-Age-Q12011-Q12017-Jul2017.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dawkins 20 said:

I think there's a perfect storm brewing for an extended work stoppage. You've got this TV deal looming large and if ratings keep dropping then so too does the next TV contract and revenue as a whole. On the flip side of that, I think you're going to see the players want guaranteed contracts like Paco mentioned. Asking for guaranteed contracts is essentially asking for a bigger piece of the pie. The problem is that the "pie" will shrink if ratings and revenue from the next TV deal are down. That's just an ugly situation all around, and it doesn't even account for things like player discipline and other issues.

I think you may be right on the money with this, especially the guaranteed contracts. Its only a matter of time before thats a major sticking point in CBA negotiations, although it's been a sore spot for the players all along. I think the day is coming when they're not going to give in any longer, and that will bring about the work stoppage

As for the TV contracts...if they were so damn worried about declining viewership and lost revenue, they'd stop re-upping with DirectTv and offer up some kind of streaming service/app that EVERYONE can access, and keep the price within reason. Any loss of TV revenue will be offset by what they'd make in this realm, which would no doubt be substantial.

I cut the cord almost a year ago, and I live well outside of the NY area, so I have to work at it most of the time to see the Giants play. Sure, I can pay almost $300 to get the NFL package streamed online, but the last time I did that, it was less than good quality. I wont use illegal pirated streams because thats asking for nothing but trouble from a security standpoint. It wouldn't be terribly difficult to offer a single team option for streaming these games at a fraction of the full price. They'd make a  killing on it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Pallidrone said:

He must also be at fault for the Emmys having the worst 2 years in ratings as well.

 

That's the fault of the ****y activist actors and actresses. Who'd want to listen to that whiny **** while they're handing out their participation trophies and patting themselves on the back.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:45 PM, Swimm said:

Yea except you just tried to speak for all of them. How many Eagles fans here are boycotting?

I stopped setting aside Sundays for football half way through the season last year. Before that if someone was looking for me on Sunday they knew they'd find me in front of the TV all day. Now I might catch part of the game on the radio while out in the garage but that's about it for me. I just don't find the need for me subject myself to the politics 24/7. I get my fill during my visits to CVON. If you're into that stuff then by all means watch away. It's not my thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2017 at 0:45 PM, vincent_NJG said:

Sloppy play, horrible/excessive officiating coupled with over-commercialization hasn't helped.

Not great watch when ..

 

>And the kick is good

*Commercial break*

>Kickoff goes out of the endzone

* Commercial break*

>QB calls timeout as playclock hits 1

*Commercial break*

>RB fumbles ball. Change of possession

*Commercial break*

 >5 yard pass play

>2 minute warning before the half

*Commercial break*

True, but that has been going on for decades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Procus said:

True, but that has been going on for decades.

but more and more  they have been over lapping the actual game ... you come back from break and its 2nd or 3rd down .....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2017 at 6:26 PM, Pallidrone said:

He must also be at fault for the Emmys having the worst 2 years in ratings as well.

 

In a way.  Didn't you read about the non-stop political bashing at the Emmys?  Again, this doesn't apply to everybody, but many people don't want their entertainment to be mixed with politics and social views.  Try looking at it from the point of view of the other guy - not yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2017 at 9:56 PM, skippyx said:

I think Kaepernick has done the opposite for me.

I am proud of the 32 individuals who own NFL teams for not hiring that piece of garbage. (his fashion choices, social media posts, and interviews reveal his true ugliness)

I am watching as much football as possible and laughing at liberals who think forcing a 4-20 clown on an NFL team is a charity worth time and effort.

You just validated the point I was making.  Your reaction is individual to you.  Many others reacted in a different way.  Not saying it's the only factor in the ratings decline, but it sure is a big one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2017 at 5:35 AM, Swimm said:

No one gives a crap about a crappy rich QB who didnt even vote. The people boycotting are mostly casuals who contributed very little to the product in the first place.

Absolutely incorrect.  There are plenty of fans who seethe at the sight of a player disrespecting the national anthem.  Statements like these remind me of the pollsters who didn't give Trump any chance of being elected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2017 at 0:45 PM, vincent_NJG said:

Sloppy play, horrible/excessive officiating coupled with over-commercialization hasn't helped.

Not great watch when ..

 

>And the kick is good

*Commercial break*

>Kickoff goes out of the endzone

* Commercial break*

>QB calls timeout as playclock hits 1

*Commercial break*

>RB fumbles ball. Change of possession

*Commercial break*

 >5 yard pass play

>2 minute warning before the half

*Commercial break*

And now we get in-game ads on a split-screen so we can see a commercial before we go to commercials! Brilliant!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Procus said:

In a way.  Didn't you read about the non-stop political bashing at the Emmys?  Again, this doesn't apply to everybody, but many people don't want their entertainment to be mixed with politics and social views.  Try looking at it from the point of view of the other guy - not yours.

There was no political bashing last year at the Emmys and it was the lowest rated one ever. You guys are trying to find something that is not there in hopes of championing your cause. Things like television viewership can not be viewed within a bubble. Americans are finicky and have short attention spans - they may protest for while but end up falling back into old habits, like watching TV.

The facts of the matter is this - people are watching less and less TV. This trend started a while ago and is slowly starting to hit critical mass. Even a juggernaut like the NFL was eventually going to get hit with slumping ratings. Overall people were watching 33 hours more of television in a week 6 years ago then they are now. They were so smug with their ratings and owning the sports landscape, they missed out on what MLB, NBA and the NHL have done with streaming and entertainment and getting the games in front of a new generation of viewers in a non  traditional sense.

Did some people stop watching because of Kaep? Absolutely. However it is not to the reasoning for the ratings slump as much as everyone wants it to be.

Correlation is not causation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

There was no political bashing last year at the Emmys and it was the lowest rated one ever. You guys are trying to find something that is not there in hopes of championing your cause. Things like television viewership can not be viewed within a bubble. Americans are finicky and have short attention spans - they may protest for while but end up falling back into old habits, like watching TV.

The facts of the matter is this - people are watching less and less TV. This trend started a while ago and is slowly starting to hit critical mass. Even a juggernaut like the NFL was eventually going to get hit with slumping ratings. Overall people were watching 33 hours more of television in a week 6 years ago then they are now. They were so smug with their ratings and owning the sports landscape, they missed out on what MLB, NBA and the NHL have done with streaming and entertainment and getting the games in front of a new generation of viewers in a non  traditional sense.

Did some people stop watching because of Kaep? Absolutely. However it is not to the reasoning for the ratings slump as much as everyone wants it to be.

Correlation is not causation.

Its not one thing. It's a combination.

Yes, many of us are watching less and less cable. 

Especially with outlets like smart tvs, firestick, etc we have more options than we ever had.

Sure, everything was going to slump but programs like award shows have crashed the last 2-3 years.

I and many others used to make it a point to watch the Emmys, Oscars, Grammys, VMAs, etc. 

I and the people in my inner circle don't anymore.

Why? Because it's become too political.

It's not just bashing Trump. Even before that, every celebrity kept pushing their personal agenda when they won. 

People then would bish about who won based on politics 

Viewers aren't going to go out of their way to watch that. Not when there's other options.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites