Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Procus

Sliding NFL ratings could throw networks for a loss

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:40 PM, downundermike said:

MLB tv is a far superior service.  It's only 100 bucks, can watch on all devices and phones

And then, once they have some decent numbers coming in, it goes to $129, $149, $179

and up & up & up etc. etc. etc. ala Verizon, COMCAST and whomever else.

What a racket . . .

On 9/16/2017 at 8:13 PM, Procus said:

The bigger factor is the Kaepernick protests.  While the liberals no doubt will harp on free speech, they forget that not everybody shares their views, and many patriotic Americans will choose to find something else to do on Sunday afternoons.

A lot of Whites claim to be sitting out because of Kap. A lot of Black folks claim to be sitting out  because the NFL supposedly discriminates. They are both in the minority when it comes to viewing audience. 

22 million Americans cut the cord and can't  watch live games of their favorite team. 

Plus the mediocre NFL product, concussion awareness scaring youth away from the game, too many commercials are all more significant factors.

10 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Its not one thing. It's a combination.

Yes, many of us are watching less and less cable. 

Especially with outlets like smart tvs, firestick, etc we have more options than we ever had.

Sure, everything was going to slump but programs like award shows have crashed the last 2-3 years.

I and many others used to make it a point to watch the Emmys, Oscars, Grammys, VMAs, etc. 

I and the people in my inner circle don't anymore.

Why? Because it's become too political.

It's not just bashing Trump. Even before that, every celebrity kept pushing their personal agenda when they won. 

People then would bish about who won based on politics 

Viewers aren't going to go out of their way to watch that. Not when there's other options.

The award shows have always been political. Some years it is more political then others. This is not a new phenomenon here. The Oscars in the 70s alone was filled with political commentary over so many people being against the Vietnam war.

What you are seeing now is similar to when the economy crashes. The signs are there, but people ignore them because it is doing great. The economy hits an all time high and then all of the sudden it all comes crashing down. People want to blame the immediate thing that may or may not have anything to do with it, instead of looking at the long term issues that caused it to crash in the first place.

28 minutes ago, McNabbIsGone said:

And then, once they have some decent numbers coming in, it goes to $129, $149, $179

and up & up & up etc. etc. etc. ala Verizon, COMCAST and whomever else.

What a racket . . .

MLB.tv is honestly worth more than what they charge. It's phenomenal. The price has stayed relatively flat over the years too with typical price increases that you would expect. People can say whatever they want about baseball, but they were WAY ahead of the curve when it comes to streaming games. Like 10 years ahead of everybody else with elite quality. The NFL would be smart to pick their brain and develop something similar. I'm just not sure how much the current TV deal prevents them from doing that.

7 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

MLB.tv is honestly worth more than what they charge. It's phenomenal. The price has stayed relatively flat over the years too with typical price increases that you would expect. People can say whatever they want about baseball, but they were WAY ahead of the curve when it comes to streaming games. Like 10 years ahead of everybody else with elite quality. The NFL would be smart to pick their brain and develop something similar. I'm just not sure how much the current TV deal prevents them from doing that.

I suspect the next NFL TV deal is going to contain a few negative 'adjustments'.

In fact the networks may want a refund for services not provided by the NFL

but for which the networks have already paid.

The networks paid for "X" but are getting less with "Y". This would necessarily

equal less money distributed to the NFL and its' minions next time around.

Just me speculating. 

27 minutes ago, McNabbIsGone said:

I suspect the next NFL TV deal is going to contain a few negative 'adjustments'.

In fact the networks may want a refund for services not provided by the NFL

but for which the networks have already paid.

The networks paid for "X" but are getting less with "Y". This would necessarily

equal less money distributed to the NFL and its' minions next time around.

Just me speculating. 

The next TV deal and the next CBA negotiations are going to ruthless. I'm pretty much convinced of that.

1 hour ago, Dawkins 20 said:

The next TV deal and the next CBA negotiations are going to ruthless. I'm pretty much convinced of that.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/20/nfl-ratings-tank-worst-viewership-in-nearly-two-decades/

Sports
GettyImages-504400484-e1504107351143.jpg

NFL Ratings Tank – Worst Viewership In Nearly Two Decades

NFL ratings are in an absolute free fall after week two of the season.

Viewership for the league is down to its lowest point since 1998, according to Sports Media Watch.

From Sports Media Watch:

The Week 2 NFL singleheader window delivered an 8.4 rating and 14.5 million viewers on CBS Sunday, down 24% in ratings and viewership from last year on FOX (11.0, 19.2M) and down 14% and 13% respectively from 2015 on CBS (9.8, 16.7M).

The 8.4 rating is the lowest for the Week 2 singleheader since at least 1998. The first two NFL windows on CBS this season have both declined double-digits to multi-year lows.

This is the least surprising news I’ve heard in a long time when it comes to sports. The writing has been on the wall since last season when Colin Kaepernick refused to stand for the national anthem. People have grown tired of the NFL becoming a political side show, and it’s exhausting getting lectured about the problems with society during games.

On the other hand, college football has no problem getting viewers. Plenty of unimportant games are still garnering at least a million viewers, which is a pretty clear indication that it’s not football itself that’s becoming unpopular.

24 minutes ago, McNabbIsGone said:

The writing has been on the wall since last season when Colin Kaepernick refused to stand for the national anthem. People have grown tired of the NFL becoming a political side show, and it’s exhausting getting lectured about the problems with society during games.

I love he conveniently makes no reference to the numbers of people who have cancelled their satellite and cable service.

us-pay-tv-cord-cutters-cord-nevers-emarketer.gif?w=650

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

I love he conveniently makes no reference to the numbers of people who have cancelled their satellite and cable service.

us-pay-tv-cord-cutters-cord-nevers-emarketer.gif?w=650

I think it's clear that a number of factors are at work here causing falling TV ratings.

The writer is zeroing in on one particular factor . . . maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

On 9/20/2017 at 10:58 AM, Gmen4ever said:

The game has been going downhill long before Kaepernick started his little schtick.

I know a lot of people who have been big time turned off by all the rule changes in the last 4-5 years. Like me, they dont get nearly as enthused about the games as they used to, because they've basically castrated the game by trying to over-protect a bunch of huge guys in an extremely violent contact sport

I can't disagree with what you say.  Sometimes, a situation is ripe for something to happen, and all it needs is a spark.  Perhaps Kaep was just that spark.

On 9/21/2017 at 9:33 AM, Pallidrone said:

Don't forget that Kaep is also the reason why television watching has dramatically decreased over the past 6 years. He is the cause of all things wrong with TV!

Nielsen-Traditional-TV-Viewing-by-Age-Q12011-Q12017-Jul2017.png

That is a big factor.  Those 18-49 (the group advertisers crave) are not watching TV much at ALL compared to in the past, especially the younger you are.  This is because people in many cases don't have the time they once did to watch TV and/or are on their phones, computers and so forth.  Cord cutting is only one part of it.

Oh, and interestingly, even with two games that were ONLY on NFL Network so far this season, Thursday night NFL ratings are UP 27% over last season. 

7 hours ago, Dawkins 20 said:

Yep, I agree, and the possibility of a long lock out is extremely likely, as we discussed earlier

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

Oh, and interestingly, even with two games that were ONLY on NFL Network so far this season, Thursday night NFL ratings are UP 27% over last season. 

Starting next week, with the Packers-Bears game, Amazon Prime members can watch the game on Prime video. I wonder how thats gonna work out, and if it'll affect the numbers at all

3 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

That is a big factor.  Those 18-49 (the group advertisers crave) are not watching TV much at ALL compared to in the past, especially the younger you are.  This is because people in many cases don't have the time they once did to watch TV and/or are on their phones, computers and so forth.  Cord cutting is only one part of it.

These numbers explain gradual dips, not cataclysmic drops.

18-30 year olds did not watch the NFL as 17-29 year olds and just stop watching overnight.

The ratings are about less people that watched last year vs watching this year.

Did 10% of the audience die?

Cord cutting and millennials explain some of it. Cable news explains some of it.

It is also kind of a crappy product compared to 10 years ago.

It also has a bunch of turds trying to preach to you during the national anthem. (with bigger turds showing it on the broadcast since its EDGY and HIP!)

17 hours ago, skippyx said:

18-30 year olds did not watch the NFL as 17-29 year olds and just stop watching overnight.

Cord cutting and millennials explain some of it. Cable news explains some of it.

It also has a bunch of turds trying to preach to you during the national anthem. (with bigger turds showing it on the broadcast since its EDGY and HIP!)

Give that man a cigar!

17 hours ago, skippyx said:

Watch the numbers closely this weekend.

For those that think there's a big viewership drop because Kaepernick in their mind is being discriminated against should take into consideration a majority of the people that watch football are on the conservative side. The drop would be, and is based much more on disrespecting the anthem than anything Kaepernick fans could put together.. Are there Kaepernick fans? The left likes the divide people by race, religion, and economic background for votes, but the anthem is about those who died of all races, religions, and economic backgrounds for this country. It's colorblind. When we honor the flag, and honor the anthem we are honoring everyone.

4 hours ago, Excel said:

Watch the numbers closely this weekend.

For those that think there's a big viewership drop because Kaepernick in their mind is being discriminated against should take into consideration a majority of the people that watch football are on the conservative side. The drop would be, and is based much more on disrespecting the anthem than anything Kaepernick fans could put together.. Are there Kaepernick fans? The left likes the divide people by race, religion, and economic background for votes, but the anthem is about those who died of all races, religions, and economic backgrounds for this country. It's colorblind. When we honor the flag, and honor the anthem we are honoring everyone.

:roll: Michael Brown and every other Black person who's been shot by a cop for no reason called. They disagree.

And if the ratings tank this weekend maybe just maybe it has something to do with President idiot stirring the pot on both sides.

Now that he's pissed on everything else from healthcare to foreign policy, I guess the only thing left is the one thing that brings people together even more than the flag: sports.

1 hour ago, madriver said:

:roll: Michael Brown and every other Black person who's been shot by a cop for no reason called. They disagree.

And if the ratings tank this weekend maybe just maybe it has something to do with President idiot stirring the pot on both sides.

Now that he's pissed on everything else from healthcare to foreign policy, I guess the only thing left is the one thing that brings people together even more than the flag: sports.

Mike Brown? Come on man. Bringing up a thug who thought police officers were his own personal punching bag doesn't make your case. The majority of shootings are legit, but in this atmosphere especially mistakes happen, and they are handled through the justice system not cop killings and washed up athletes looking for attention. To make it a black and white issue is what race baiters do, or those looking for political gain. If you care to look it up you would see a white officer shooting a black suspect is about as common as a lightning strike. Most of the problems we are having is based on ignorance for obvious reasons.

I guess you woke up yesterday?  I can tell you taking a knee during the national anthem is not bringing people together it's divisive for the team,  country and ratings back that up. It's been going on since our fearless clown Obama didn't denounce it in fact he encouraged it, and funded it. Today this president inherits this mess from foreign policy, to domestic terrorists. When you have an entire ideology not denouncing domestic terrorism this is what you get.

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Mike Brown? Come on man. Bringing up a thug who thought police officers were his own personal punching bag doesn't make your case. The majority of shootings are legit, but in this atmosphere especially mistakes happen, and they are handled through the justice system not cop killings and washed up athletes looking for attention. To make it a black and white issue is what race baiters do, or those looking for political gain. If you care to look it up you would see a white officer shooting a black suspect is about as common as a lightning strike. Most of the problems we are having is based on ignorance for obvious reasons.

I guess you woke up yesterday?  I can tell you taking a knee during the national anthem is not bringing people together it's divisive for the team,  country and ratings back that up. It's been going on since our fearless clown Obama didn't denounce it in fact he encouraged it, and funded it. Today this president inherits this mess from foreign policy, to domestic terrorists. When you have an entire ideology not denouncing domestic terrorism this is what you get.

?ok Cinderella.  You can have the last word which is all you Trumpsters want anyway. Makes you feel manly I guess. Tired of "debating" insane people. Zero upside. Buh bye!

On 9/16/2017 at 9:35 PM, downundermike said:

The biggest factor is cord cutting and people streaming games illegally.  It does not help that it costs you 300 dollars to watch your team if you are out of market.  I have been quiet content to chill in my office, listen to Merrill and Mike and glance at the red zone channel the last few years.

if the NFL wants to get its viewership back up, they need to look at changing season ticket to mirror MLBTV.

Most games are not on cable though, so how does cord cutting become the biggest factor? Anyone can watch games on FOX, CBS, and NBC for free.

43 minutes ago, McNabb2Jackson7 said:

Most games are not on cable though, so how does cord cutting become the biggest factor? Anyone can watch games on FOX, CBS, and NBC for free.

Many people who cut the cord get rid of TV entirely, especially if they can get their internet without a bundle.

1 minute ago, Wallyhorse said:

Many people who cut the cord get rid of TV entirely, especially if they can get their internet without a bundle.

Those people can simply stream games for free as long as they have an internet connection. I'm not an expert on ratings, but I assume that streaming factors into ratings.

1 minute ago, McNabb2Jackson7 said:

Those people can simply stream games for free as long as they have an internet connection. I'm not an expert on ratings, but I assume that streaming factors into ratings.

You have to often have a cable subscription, even for "free" channels.

1 minute ago, Wallyhorse said:

You have to often have a cable subscription, even for "free" channels.

People could use an antenna and get basic channels in HD for free. I think the NFL ratings drop goes beyond cord cutting, because if there was a desire to watch the NFL, people would find a way even if they don't want to pay for cable. If cord cutting was the number 1 reason, then wouldn't all TV shows have huge ratings drops as well?