Procus

Sliding NFL ratings could throw networks for a loss

Just now, McNabb2Jackson7 said:

People could use an antenna and get basic channels in HD for free. I think the NFL ratings drop goes beyond cord cutting, because if there was a desire to watch the NFL, people would find a way even if they don't want to pay for cable. If cord cutting was the number 1 reason, then wouldn't all TV shows have huge ratings drops as well?

Many shows have had huge drops in ratings.   Also, not everyone is in areas where they can easily use an antenna.

1 minute ago, Wallyhorse said:

Many shows have had huge drops in ratings.   Also, not everyone is in areas where they can easily use an antenna.

As far as antennas go, if you live on a farm or the middle of nowhere, you probably can't use one, but to the best of my knowledge, all major cities have strong signals for antenna usage, and the majority of people live in or near cities. 

For the many shows with ratings drops, why do some shows still thrive? Is there a disproportionate number of NFL viewers cord-cutting versus viewers of other TV programs? If so, why?

And meanwhile, while many argue that the NFL ratings have NOTHING do to with the anthem protests, NFL viewership is down a whopping 11% so far this year.  Anybody who believes that the anthem protests are not a prime factor in this drop has his head in the sand.

https://apnews.com/bf595941ba9640e9ab32e474459f529c/Nielsen:-Football-ratings-off-11-percent-this-year

Nielsen: Football ratings off 11 percent this year

800.jpeg

NEW YORK (AP) — Through three weeks, viewership for national telecasts of NFL games is down 11 percent this season compared to 2016, the Nielsen company said on Tuesday.

Nielsen said the games averaged 17.63 million viewers for the first three weeks of last season, and have dipped to 15.65 million this year. The Nielsen figures don’t include many of the Sunday afternoon games that are shown to a regional audience, but not a national one.

The NFL ratings are in focus because of President Donald Trump’s suggestion that viewers are turned off by a protest against police brutality that began with quarterback Colin Kaepernick refusing to stand for the national anthem. The protests spread rapidly this past weekend following the president’s criticism of people involved.

Next week’s ratings will be even more closely watched, since conservative groups and Fox News Channel’s Sean Hannity have called for people angered by the protests to boycott this weekend’s games.

Meanwhile, Round One of the new ideological battle on cable television news went to Hannity, who has moved to a time slot directly competing with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow. Nielsen said Hannity had 3.27 million viewers on Monday, compared to 2.66 million for Maddow. CNN, which showed a special health care debate at the same hour, had 1.45 million viewers.

The end of summer has to be sad for NBC, which has dominated in network ratings due to the success of "America’s Got Talent.” The show’s finale last week was seen by 15.6 million viewers, its biggest audience for a season-ender since 2010.

CBS usually dominates the ratings from September to May, but NBC has won 12 of the last 14 weeks due to the leadership of "America’s Got Talent.”

For the week, NBC averaged 7.8 million viewers in prime time. CBS had 6.2 million, ABC had 4.2 million, Fox had 2.7 million, Univision had 1.6 million, Telemundo had 1.4 million, ION Television had 1.3 million and the CW had 910,000.

ESPN was the week’s most popular cable network, averaging 2.48 million viewers in prime time. Fox News Channel had 2.08 million, MSNBC had 1.62 million, USA had 1.5 million and HGTV had 1.24 million.

ABC’s "World News Tonight” topped the evening newscasts with an average of 8.3 million viewers. NBC’s "Nightly News” was second with 8.2 million and the "CBS Evening News” had 6.6 million.

For the week of Sept. 18-24, the top 10 shows, their networks and viewerships: NFL Football: Oakland at Washington, NBC, 17.48 million; "America’s Got Talent” (Wednesday), NBC, 15.64 million; "60 Minutes,” CBS, 14.83 million; "America’s Got Talent” (Tuesday), NBC, 14.7 million; "Sunday Night NFL Pre-Kick,” NBC, 13.78 million; NFL Football: Detroit at N.Y. Giants, ESPN, 12.29 million; "Dancing With the Stars,” ABC, 10.72 million; "Football Night in America, Part 3,” NBC, 10.62 million; "Star Trek: Discovery,” CBS, 9.49 million; NFL Football: L.A. Chargers at San Francisco, NFLN, 7.46 million.

___

ABC is owned by The Walt Disney Co. CBS is owned by CBS Corp. CW is a joint venture of Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corp. Fox is owned by 21st Century Fox. NBC and Telemundo are owned by Comcast Corp. ION Television is owned by ION Media Networks.

11 minutes ago, Procus said:

And meanwhile, while many argue that the NFL ratings have NOTHING do to with the anthem protests, NFL viewership is down a whopping 11% so far this year.  Anybody who believes that the anthem protests are not a prime factor in this drop has his head in the sand.

https://apnews.com/bf595941ba9640e9ab32e474459f529c/Nielsen:-Football-ratings-off-11-percent-this-year

Kind of hard to argue against this

11 hours ago, downundermike said:

Now post the numbers of people cutting the cord, there is a direct correlation 

Those cutting the cord to me is a MUCH bigger factor.

Sure, SOME are turning off because of the anthem protests, but those are among THE most vocal and are NOT the majority (also, how much of this drop is with 18-49, the group ad buyers care about?).   .  

We also in case anyone has forgotten had two major hurricanes in the last month and change.  Many people are still dealing with the aftereffects of THAT.

11 hours ago, downundermike said:

Now post the numbers of people cutting the cord, there is a direct correlation 

That has something to do with it but there are significant drops over the past few weeks.

I'd also argue that like me, the only reason many if these people have cable anymore is to watch the NFL

Just now, vincent_NJG said:

That has something to do with it but there are significant drops over the past few weeks.

I'd also argue that like me, the only reason many if these people have cable anymore is to watch the NFL

Maybe, But I think it also has to do with the oversaturation of College Football and games on from Noon-2:00 AM on Saturday.  By the time Sunday rolls around, many are likely "footballed out" because of watching double-digit games on Saturday. 

5 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Maybe, But I think it also has to do with the oversaturation of College Football and games on from Noon-2:00 AM on Saturday.  By the time Sunday rolls around, many are likely "footballed out" because of watching double-digit games on Saturday. 

That's been going on forever though.

This is a sudden dip. 

I don't believe anthem protests are the entire reason. Far from it.

However, to deny that there's any effect at this point is as Procus said, putting your head in the sand

Prior to the season, I had several friends who claimed to have boycotted the NFL from the kneeling but they were all people who would watch at most, 5 games a year including the Super Bowl.

Now the people looking away are a growing number who regularly go out of their way for the NFL 

I'd be surprised if there isn't another sharp drop for this upcoming weekend.

17 hours ago, Procus said:

It doesn't prove that the protests are a "prime" factor at all. There are too many other variables to be able to pin it down to one thing.

No doubt that the protests are playing at least something of a part in the decline, but I'm still not sold on them being a major factor. The next couple of weeks will be more telling

33 minutes ago, Gmen4ever said:

It doesn't prove that the protests are a "prime" factor at all. There are too many other variables to be able to pin it down to one thing.

No doubt that the protests are playing at least something of a part in the decline, but I'm still not sold on them being a major factor. The next couple of weeks will be more telling

This I agree with. 

It's a combination. Just some denying that the protests have anything at all to with it is disingenuous.

If there's is a dramatic drop this weekend, it will at the very least confirm it

2 hours ago, vincent_NJG said:

I go to some of the local bars that have season ticket to watch the Eagles, and those places are packed.

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

I go to some of the local bars that have season ticket to watch the Eagles, and those places are packed.

And? The NFL is wildly popular. My wife and I would frequent the sports bars before we got the Sunday ticket too. 

I don't get what you're trying to say

1 hour ago, vincent_NJG said:

And? The NFL is wildly popular. My wife and I would frequent the sports bars before we got the Sunday ticket too. 

I don't get what you're trying to say

That the ratings decline have everything to do with cord cutting, and nothing to do with protests.

Many people are watching at sports bars, how can they accurately track viewership.

Many people are using illegal streams, how can they accurately track viewership.

Many people get together as a group at the 1 guys house that has season ticket, how can they accurately track viewership.

NFL popularity has not gone down at all due to protests.

Now if you showed a decline in merchandise sales, then you may have a point, but ratings really mean nothing, especially when plenty of other TV ratings are down, due to cord cutting.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

That the ratings decline have everything to do with cord cutting, and nothing to do with protests.

Many people are watching at sports bars, how can they accurately track viewership.

Many people are using illegal streams, how can they accurately track viewership.

Many people get together as a group at the 1 guys house that has season ticket, how can they accurately track viewership.

NFL popularity has not gone down at all due to protests.

Now if you showed a decline in merchandise sales, then you may have a point, but ratings really mean nothing, especially when plenty of other TV ratings are down, due to cord cutting.

Because ratings have dropped sharply. 

We have always tracked ratings and understand groups watching the NFL.

I agree, the cord cutting is a major issue but to honestly claim that people aren't turning away at all due to protest is disingenuous.

There are people like me who keep cable for no other reason than the NFL. Those irritated by protests see little reason to keep it.

Just now, NCTANK said:

interesting

resident spin doctors arriving shortly

They can say what they want . . . but all of this is big-time  NEGATIVE  and not where the NFL wants to go, I'd wager.

Incidentally, I'm watching the Bears-Packers game on Prime video, and the quality is beautiful. I wonder how they're going to factor the viewership numbers into the equation

On 9/21/2017 at 8:01 AM, Dawkins 20 said:

I think there's a perfect storm brewing for an extended work stoppage. You've got this TV deal looming large and if ratings keep dropping then so too does the next TV contract and revenue as a whole. On the flip side of that, I think you're going to see the players want guaranteed contracts like Paco mentioned. Asking for guaranteed contracts is essentially asking for a bigger piece of the pie. The problem is that the "pie" will shrink if ratings and revenue from the next TV deal are down. That's just an ugly situation all around, and it doesn't even account for things like player discipline and other issues.

The revenue doesn't have to shrink just because the TV ratings are down. The NFL just needs to get with the times and take advantage of the internet. People aren't watching the NFL less because of Kaepernick or changes in the game, they are now used to DVRs and streaming services and no longer have the mindset of "I need to be on my couch at X time to watch this live event." They'd rather watch it on the go, through their phone or tablet. Make new deals with Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, etc,. those companies generate more revenue than the major networks now and will deliver your product to more eyes. 

On 9/22/2017 at 5:33 PM, Gmen4ever said:

Starting next week, with the Packers-Bears game, Amazon Prime members can watch the game on Prime video. I wonder how thats gonna work out, and if it'll affect the numbers at all

Damn, I wish I saw this last night. I would've tried it out to see how good the stream was. 

On 9/24/2017 at 3:46 AM, McNabb2Jackson7 said:

People could use an antenna and get basic channels in HD for free. I think the NFL ratings drop goes beyond cord cutting, because if there was a desire to watch the NFL, people would find a way even if they don't want to pay for cable. If cord cutting was the number 1 reason, then wouldn't all TV shows have huge ratings drops as well?

Networks, overall, are experiencing a drop in average ratings. Which is why many of them are now starting their own streaming alternatives. CBS just recently premiered their new Star Trek show last Sunday, but if you want to watch more of it you need to sign up for CBS Access,. I have younger cousins who only look at a TV to play video games, yet are glued to Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube on their phones. A decade ago they'd be clearing their schedules to make sure they can watch their shows at the specified times they air.  

On 9/28/2017 at 6:06 AM, Wallyhorse said:

Those cutting the cord to me is a MUCH bigger factor.

Sure, SOME are turning off because of the anthem protests, but those are among THE most vocal and are NOT the majority (also, how much of this drop is with 18-49, the group ad buyers care about?).   .  

We also in case anyone has forgotten had two major hurricanes in the last month and change.  Many people are still dealing with the aftereffects of THAT.

One things for sure, when your product is losing popularity, the last thing you need is off the field controversy because for a lot of people, it's the final straw...

WTS the NFL will be fine. Its a rough patch. Its still the best thing going in sports.

If Im the Commish Im using prime time games to promote "feel good stories" during pre game/half time of the NFL and its players helping people and communities. And more feel good kid stories. Kids who are overcoming People eat that stuff up. And im putting a gag order on the game commentators regarding the protests and the POTUS. There are other proactive approaches that can be taken without offending the players who are protesting. Let them do their thing. You have already opened that pandoras box

On 9/28/2017 at 3:52 PM, vincent_NJG said:

Because ratings have dropped sharply. 

We have always tracked ratings and understand groups watching the NFL.

I agree, the cord cutting is a major issue but to honestly claim that people aren't turning away at all due to protest is disingenuous.

There are people like me who keep cable for no other reason than the NFL. Those irritated by protests see little reason to keep it.

There are some that are turning away because of the protest, but they are not the major factor in this like Procus wants everyone to believe.

TV ratings as a whole have been going down for years. The NFL was the last ratings monster left out there and it is has finally started to take a hit.

The issue is that more and more people are either cord cutting or they are DVR'ing shows. The issue is that once they get into the habit of not watching shows live, but watching them later, it end up more of the norm. It is easier to watch a show whenever then making sure you are in front of the TV when it happens. Combine that with the instant ability to see a score anywhere in the world, leads more people to loosely follow their team then to watch them religiously.

I have watched every single Eagles games for the past 6 years with either the Sunday Ticket or PS VUE. This year, because of life and not being able to see the game outside of my home, I have only seen 1 game live. The other two I did not watch or I scanned through the recording because I already knew the outcome. There are more people like myself then there are people that just 'gave up' watching football because of stupid Kaepernick.